Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Detailed Midseason Breakdown of Dave Caldwell's Major Moves

Quote:You're the one that brought the phrase into the conversation. Not me.

You weren't supposed to challenge it.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:See this man understands what has been done here. Why is this so hard to grasp for some people? 

All of this continued harping on OLB and FB is a bit silly, guys.  D Smith and G Jones?  Greg Jones was offered a deal and turned it down.  Why do you guys keep ignoring that?  Smith should have been kept - but they didn't want to gamble on age and injury.  Unfortunate but understandable.  

You guys also are giving little thought to the new schemes on both sides of the ball - and the fact that adapting to that requires greater roster turnover.  You just can't do it all in one offseason.  

I get why you guys are unhappy - I'm frustrated with the losses too -  but there is actually a chance that this past offseason ends up producing 4-5  quality draft picks and 3 quality free agents.  That would be great despite a transitional year's  W/L record in my book.  I'll continue being patient before piling on Caldwell.  In the grand scheme of things he's barely begun the process - and the vast majority of his moves can't be evaluated yet. 

Greg Jones is also currently clearing lanes for a 2-5 Texans team that is in a complete death spiral.

Quote:You're the one that brought the phrase into the conversation. Not me.

I said "lets stop pretending 0-16 ( the path we're on and many expect us to achieve) is the only way to build the roster".

I didn't claim you or anyone came out and said such an absurd statement. The fact no one is claiming that's the way to do it, but yet it's the way we ARE doing it should speak volumes to the method.

Nah it's just us "deep thinkers" as FBT likes to say that don't get it.

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:Greg Jones is also currently clearing lanes for a 2-5 Texans team that is in a complete death spiral.

Oh yes the golden record to associate value of specific players argument.

Lame they're 2-5 cause old man age caught up with Schaub, keep swinging.

Quote:This coming from the guy who repeatedly called this the right direction before the season.

My gripes not the record, it's the lack or progress from this roster, I've said that over and over, but it doesn't fit the narrative you're trying to paint.

Once again, words confuse you.

I've said I HOPE this is the right approach.  What we know beyond any shadow of a doubt is that your approach, hanging on to pedestrian talent for the sake of appeasing homers like you isn't the way to rebuild a team.  I supported the approach of blowing it up because I think the team needed a complete double-flush, including letting your beloved Derek Cox walk in free agency. 

What's funny about your particular brand of whining is the fact that the guy you're crushing over turned down a contract extension from the team.  He left you, and you're not bright enough to recognize that.  You share that blind spot with Tebow homers.

We won't know for a while if Caldwell's approach is the right one or not.  All we know is that, if you have enough of a football IQ to recognize the approach they were taking, then you knew it was going to be ugly this year as they blew it up and back filled with temporary help.  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what will probably happen.  We know that with the all star talent you and the OP of this thread are still unable to let go of, we won 2 games last year.  So, you and the OP are crying a river because the team might not win 2 games because we let go of all this talent.  It would be laughable if it wasn't so pathetic.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:All of this continued harping on OLB and FB is a bit silly, guys.  D Smith and G Jones?  Greg Jones was offered a deal and turned it down.  Why do you guys keep ignoring that?  Smith should have been kept - but they didn't want to gamble on age and injury.  Unfortunate but understandable.  

You guys also are giving little thought to the new schemes on both sides of the ball - and the fact that adapting to that requires greater roster turnover.  You just can't do it all in one offseason.  

I get why you guys are unhappy - I'm frustrated with the losses too -  but there is actually a chance that this past offseason ends up producing 4-5  quality draft picks and 3 quality free agents.  That would be great despite a transitional year's  W/L record in my book.  I'll continue being patient before piling on Caldwell.  In the grand scheme of things he's barely begun the process - and the vast majority of his moves can't be evaluated yet. 

That's the point, BECAUSE it's impossible to fix everything at once it only makes the rebuild harder creating holes in positions we where ok at. Drafting a LT when you already had a top 10 LT was stupid, when we could have solved the pass rush or at the very least helped with the selection of a player like Ansah, Jordan ect....

Gutting the secondary so you HAD to draft 3 DB's made it impossible to find quality depth or replacements on a depleted offensive line. and so on...........

Quote:Once again, words confuse you.

I've said I HOPE this is the right approach.  What we know beyond any shadow of a doubt is that your approach, hanging on to pedestrian talent for the sake of appeasing homers like you isn't the way to rebuild a team.  I supported the approach of blowing it up because I think the team needed a complete double-flush, including letting your beloved Derek Cox walk in free agency. 

What's funny about your particular brand of whining is the fact that the guy you're crushing over turned down a contract extension from the team.  He left you, and you're not bright enough to recognize that.  You share that blind spot with Tebow homers.

We won't know for a while if Caldwell's approach is the right one or not.  All we know is that, if you have enough of a football IQ to recognize the approach they were taking, then you knew it was going to be ugly this year as they blew it up and back filled with temporary help.  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what will probably happen.  We know that with the all star talent you and the OP of this thread are still unable to let go of, we won 2 games last year.  So, you and the OP are crying a river because the team might not win 2 games because we let go of all this talent.  It would be laughable if it wasn't so pathetic.

Yep

Quote:Once again, words confuse you.

Nope you specifically said Caldwell has this team headed in the write direction, I even commented on the old board how could anyone make a claim before the season, to which you never replied.

what's funny is how you constantly try to rewrite history.

Quote:Oh yes the golden record to associate value of specific players argument.

I'm sorry, but you're a legitimate clown if you think Greg Jones, Terrance Knighton, Derek Cox, and Daryl Smith would've had any impact for this team.

Quote:That's the point, BECAUSE it's impossible to fix everything at once it only makes the rebuild harder creating holes in positions we where ok at. Drafting a LT when you already had a top 10 LT was stupid, when we could have solved the pass rush or at the very least helped with the selection of a player like Ansah, Jordan ect....

Gutting the secondary so you HAD to draft 3 DB's made it impossible to find quality depth or replacements on a depleted offensive line. and so on...........
EC85, I'm with you when you talk about expecting a competitive product neat year. 100%. Me too.  

But - the secondary had to be gutted to make it  truly Bradley's D.  Dude, a fast aggressive secondary that likes to hit is a huge part of his whole concept  - and trying to build that with rookies is the ideal way if you think long term. It had to be done if you want to see this D start to resemble Seattle's D next year, IMO.   They didn't have to draft 3 DBs - they did if they want to employ the new scheme with guys that may be longterm solutions.   We don't know if they hit on those guys yet.  (I sure hope they did.)

Monroe is obviously not a top 10 LT this year - especially in the ZBS.   Maybe Caldwell was smart enough to know he wasn't going to excel in the ZBS - not to mention he likely would have headed for greener pastures in the offseason.  

Quote:EC85, I'm with you when you talk about expecting a competitive product neat year. 100%. Me too.  

But - the secondary had to be gutted to make it  truly Bradley's D.  Dude, a fast aggressive secondary that likes to hit is a huge part of his whole concept  - and trying to build that with rookies is the ideal way if you think long term. It had to be done if you want to see this D start to resemble Seattle's D next year, IMO.   They didn't have to draft 3 DBs - they did if they want to employ the new scheme with guys that may be longterm solutions.   We don't know if they hit on those guys yet.  (I sure hope they did.)

Monroe is obviously not a top 10 LT this year - especially in the ZBS.   Maybe Caldwell was smart enough to know he wasn't going to excel in the ZBS - not to mention he likely would have headed for greener pastures in the offseason.  

If you're a fan of PFF, Monroe is the 50th best tackle in the league.

Quote:I expect more then just to just break .500 in 3 years
Sarcasm, guys...

Quote:If in 3 years this team is only 8-8, well....and you accept that and think thats a good place to be??... :unsure:
...sarcasm.

Quote:We let go of Smith because he's "old" at 31 but keep Meester and he's damn near 50. I'm exaggerating but he's way older in football sense than Smith. I get one contract was up but they could've found a younger center better than Meester when you see the decline in him last season. if you're gutting the team and replacing players with younger players then Meester has no reason being on this team.
Smith was let go because he plays a low-value position, is on the wrong side of 30, and apparently wasn't judged to be a better fit than the alternatives available both on the roster and in bargain free-agency.

Meester was kept because he plays a much more important position, and the team apparently felt that he was a better option than anyone else they had on the roster or would realistically acquire. That's the difference, really. They were comfortable with the alternatives to Smith, but not with the alternatives to Meester.

Quote:Why is Miller the one being compared to Knighton?

Why not Marks?
Miller was signed first, and is much more like Knighton as a player than Marks is. It's kind of a ridiculous argument. Compare Marks and Miller to the two linemen they replaced: Knighton and Mosley (went with Mosley because Alualu is still around, just changed position). I think the Jags have found a likely long-term starter in Marks, with Miller being a whiff. The team had no long-term starters last season between Knighton and Mosley, but both players were ok. Given the choice, I'd take the solid starter who's likely to stick for a while over two guys who have no future with the team.

Quote:Honest question:

As of today if you had to pick a DT who would you rather have on your team Miller or Knighton?
Marks.

Quote:I said "lets stop pretending 0-16 ( the path we're on and many expect us to achieve) is the only way to build the roster".

I didn't claim you or anyone came out and said such an absurd statement. The fact no one is claiming that's the way to do it, but yet it's the way we ARE doing it should speak volumes to the method.

Nah it's just us "deep thinkers" as FBT likes to say that don't get it.

At this point, you just appear to be confusing yourself.

Quote:I'm sorry, but you're a legitimate clown if you think Greg Jones, Terrance Knighton, Derek Cox, and Daryl Smith would've had any impact for this team.

Man you know what Roy Miller, Tafatutu, Allan Ball and Geno Hayes have made such an impact I don't know what I was thinking!

you should try do a little research before jumping into a conversation, I've made it clear moving on is fine but you better upgrade and not just move on for the sake of moving on.

Quote:EC85, I'm with you when you talk about expecting a competitive product neat year. 100%. Me too.  

I'm willing to wait and see if the scheme is worth the pain next year, like I've said in now way do I think we should jump ship this year, I just think the moves we made are going to make it 100% harder to show improvement next year.

The cheerleading crowd lead by FBT gets offended at any point in time anyone speaks out against the brass so we've had our back and forth before similar to this thread. SDR just mimics anything FBT ever says so it gets repetitive at times.

Quote:Oh yes the golden record to associate value of specific players argument.

We're 0-8 because of our qb play.  Thats it.  Keep swinging.

Quote:We're 0-8 because of our qb play.  Thats it.  Keep swinging.

You really believe that? this team is a QB away from being competitive?

Quote:You really believe that? this team is a QB away from being competitive?

Do you read? Thats not what he said.

(This post was last modified: 11-01-2013, 04:29 PM by Etdavis2006.)

Quote:Man you know what Roy Miller, Tafatutu, Allan Ball and Geno Hayes have made such an impact I don't know what I was thinking!

you should try do a little research before jumping into a conversation, I've made it clear moving on is fine but you better upgrade and not just move on for the sake of moving on.

I'm willing to wait and see if the scheme is worth the pain next year, like I've said in now way do I think we should jump ship this year, I just think the moves we made are going to make it 100% harder to show improvement next year.

The cheerleading crowd lead by FBT gets offended at any point in time anyone speaks out against the brass so we've had our back and forth before similar to this thread. SDR just mimics anything FBT ever says so it gets repetitive at times.
But doesn't that seem like the idea to move on? At some point its better to cut ties with a player and see what you have somewhere else. Give the young guy a chance and see if he develops into something. But the old guy will hang on forever. You have to begin to challenge yourself to find the next player instead of staying with the status quo. All these players can be tossed in a bag and pulled out randomly and the same results will happen. None of these guys are heads over heels better than the other.

Quote:Do you read? Thats not what he said.

break it down then how else should it be taken Shack.

"we're 0-8 cause of qb play. THATS IT. keep swinging" - pretty much sums it up, according to diesel we're 0-8 cause of qp play, THATS IT (his words not mine)