Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags, Just Get A Great QB, And Let's Win It All Next Year!

(This post was last modified: 01-31-2018, 11:16 AM by MoJagFan.)

(01-31-2018, 10:56 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(01-31-2018, 09:20 AM)MoJagFan Wrote: Say the team wanted Cousins..  I don't see us winning the bidding war that is about to brew.  I'd love a QB upgrade but I don't think we need to be in a bidding war.  We are going to need to develop a QB for this team.  With a special defense in place, you need to ride that and grow offensive improvements any way you can.  There were reports that the team ran out of plays against the NE because they could only install so much in a week.  It is possible that we will see a different offense next year.

How many different ways do you need to draw up Fournette up the middle?

The broadcast team did a good job explaining all the wrinkles they worked in to take NE out of their game.  NE adjusted and we played it safe in the second half.  If they build trust and have the ability to mix it up, I think we can move away from just pounding it straight up.  Honestly if we had the 2007 OLine we could have just ran it up the middle and won.

So you could stay true to the core with some OLine upgrades and work the wrinkles as well.

(01-31-2018, 11:10 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(01-31-2018, 11:06 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Cousins has already stated he is willing to take less in order to win.

Which should scare you even more.

Redskins would rather have a glorified game manager than him.

Cousin doesn't scare me off at all.  It has been an odd mix up there in Washington and I don't see them as talented as we are currently.  I think this may end up being just a conversation and we stand pat.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-31-2018, 11:15 AM)MoJagFan Wrote:
(01-31-2018, 10:56 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: How many different ways do you need to draw up Fournette up the middle?

The broadcast team did a good job explaining all the wrinkles they worked in to take NE out of their game.  NE adjusted and we played it safe in the second half.  If they build trust and have the ability to mix it up, I think we can move away from just pounding it straight up.  Honestly if we had the 2007 OLine we could have just ran it up the middle and won.

So you could stay true to the core with some OLine upgrades and work the wrinkles as well.

(01-31-2018, 11:10 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Which should scare you even more.

Redskins would rather have a glorified game manager than him.

Cousin doesn't scare me off at all.  It has been an odd mix up there in Washington and I don't see them as talented as we are currently.  I think this may end up being just a conversation and we stand pat.

I agree, I was just being facetious. I'm not going to be upset if they go after Cousins so long as we don't have to dismantle this team to do it. We did that in the 90s and ended up in the wilderness for 20 years.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

we should try to land Cousins if possible. Not sure if it's feasible, but getting Cousins would be a good upgrade.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

(01-31-2018, 09:29 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: PFT reporting Jags keeping Bortles this year.

Time will tell if Blake Bortles is a long term solution for the Jaguars.   

One thing I strongly believe though is the cost of paying Bortles a little over $ 19 million in 2018 with the 5th Year option is MUCH more favorable than the cost/ risks associated with signing Kirk Cousins to a long term contract.   Cousins seems headed to a multi-year contract that will average at least $30 million per season.  With guarantees off the charts.  It would seem much more sound to keep Bortles at least one more season and draft a QB somewhere in the top 4 Rounds.

(01-31-2018, 01:36 PM)D6 Wrote:
(01-31-2018, 09:29 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: PFT reporting Jags keeping Bortles this year.

Time will tell if Blake Bortles is a long term solution for the Jaguars.   

One thing I strongly believe though is the cost of paying Bortles a little over $ 19 million in 2018 with the 5th Year option is MUCH more favorable than the cost/ risks associated with signing Kirk Cousins to a long term contract.   Cousins seems headed to a multi-year contract that will average at least $30 million per season.  With guarantees off the charts.  It would seem much more sound to keep Bortles at least one more season and draft a QB somewhere in the top 4 Rounds.

I think most people are concerned with not maximizing the opportunities we have with this defense at its peak over the next 2-3 years. Drafting a guy will burn at LEAST 1 year

(01-31-2018, 01:44 PM)JNev Wrote:
(01-31-2018, 01:36 PM)D6 Wrote: Time will tell if Blake Bortles is a long term solution for the Jaguars.   

I think most people are concerned with not maximizing the opportunities we have with this defense at its peak over the next 2-3 years. Drafting a guy will burn at LEAST 1 year
Bingo. Broncos QB situation right now is a hot mess because they signed Manning. Manning also took them to 2 SBs and won 1. I'll take that!

Not me. I want sustained success. I want the entire NFL to bow to the Jaguars as the next dynasty.

People act like this is the best Bortles can be. Alex Smith just got paid a crapton and he was significantly worse at Blake's age.

(01-31-2018, 01:54 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Not me. I want sustained success. I want the entire NFL to bow to the Jaguars as the next dynasty.

People act like this is the best Bortles can be. Alex Smith just got paid a crapton and he was significantly worse at Blake's age.

This!

Two trains of thought with BB5-
 He is better then both Smith and Eli at the same point in their carrers.

Sanfran let smith go and he got better and made big money.

Giants Kept Eli (even with fans calling for him to go) let him progress and won 2 superbowls with a great defense.

Which way do you think TC and the Jags would like to go with?

(01-31-2018, 01:54 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Not me. I want sustained success. I want the entire NFL to bow to the Jaguars as the next dynasty.

Just a hypothetical: Would you rather have 4 straight AFC appearances, but no wins or 3 one and done playoff appearances with a Super Bowl win sprinkled in?

(01-31-2018, 01:51 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-31-2018, 01:44 PM)JNev Wrote: I think most people are concerned with not maximizing the opportunities we have with this defense at its peak over the next 2-3 years. Drafting a guy will burn at LEAST 1 year
Bingo. Broncos QB situation right now is a hot mess because they signed Manning. Manning also took them to 2 SBs and won 1. I'll take that!

Manning had NOTHING to do with the super bowl win, nothing!

(01-31-2018, 02:41 PM)atburg Wrote:
(01-31-2018, 01:51 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Bingo. Broncos QB situation right now is a hot mess because they signed Manning. Manning also took them to 2 SBs and won 1. I'll take that!

The year they won.... I agree.

However he was MVP the year they lost to the Seahawks in the SB.

(01-31-2018, 02:41 PM)atburg Wrote:
(01-31-2018, 01:51 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Bingo. Broncos QB situation right now is a hot mess because they signed Manning. Manning also took them to 2 SBs and won 1. I'll take that!

Well he was 140:53 TD:INT ratio with Denver. That's bringing legitimacy and getting playoff experience for your team. The year they won the SB he was a disaster, but he probably played some mentoring role and got them the confidence they needed to win the big one.

(01-31-2018, 02:45 PM)JNev Wrote:
(01-31-2018, 02:41 PM)atburg Wrote: Manning had NOTHING to do with the super bowl win, nothing!

Well he was 140:53 TD:INT ratio with Denver. That's bringing legitimacy and getting playoff experience for your team. The year they won the SB he was a disaster, but he probably played some mentoring role and got them the confidence they needed to win the big one.

No, I realize his voice was huge for that team.

(01-31-2018, 02:45 PM)JNev Wrote:
(01-31-2018, 02:41 PM)atburg Wrote: Manning had NOTHING to do with the super bowl win, nothing!

Baloney. Players play, coaches coach. Anyone who thinks mentoring is an important part of what a player does is apparently fine with holding on to old has-beens over new young talent. Denver played Manning because they had no realistic alternative.

(01-31-2018, 02:20 PM)jjgator Wrote:

Just a hypothetical: Would you rather have 4 straight AFC appearances, but no wins or 3 one and done playoff appearances with a Super Bowl win sprinkled in?
I want that 3 one and done's and a SB! lol
Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

Why 4? I'm talking (hoping for) 10 years of sustained greatness.

In 10 years the law of averages say you're going to win the Superbowl at least once.

After suffering through being the laughingstock - I don't ever want to go back.

(01-31-2018, 03:08 PM)DragonFury Wrote:
(01-31-2018, 02:45 PM)JNev Wrote: Well he was 140:53 TD:INT ratio with Denver. That's bringing legitimacy and getting playoff experience for your team. The year they won the SB he was a disaster, but he probably played some mentoring role and got them the confidence they needed to win the big one.

Baloney. Players play, coaches coach. Anyone who thinks mentoring is an important part of what a player does is apparently fine with holding on to old has-beens over new young talent. Denver played Manning because they had no realistic alternative.

Calais Campbell and the Jaguars defense would disagree.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(01-31-2018, 08:13 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(01-31-2018, 12:28 AM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: Process of elimination now that Smith is off the market. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bigcatc...ke-bortles

Lol, that post is of as much value as any opinion on this MB.

(01-31-2018, 12:54 AM)Upper Wrote: How are they comparable at all? From what I've seen Schmidt has been level headed and provided a lot of data from many different angles to back up his opinions. The evidence might not point in the direction you want it to, but he's done a good job defending it. That should be seen as admirable and constructive to a discussion no matter where your biases lay.

Spacecoast is, well, the complete opposite.

Yeah, so did SCJ...at first. Then the obsession emerged.

what am I obsessed about? Wanting the Jags to field the best possible to team to win a Super Bowl? Yeah, I guess I'm pretty obsessed then.

The one with the SB win.
[Image: je8Z3fs.gif]

(01-31-2018, 03:17 PM)Rico Wrote:
(01-31-2018, 03:08 PM)DragonFury Wrote: Baloney. Players play, coaches coach. Anyone who thinks mentoring is an important part of what a player does is apparently fine with holding on to old has-beens over new young talent. Denver played Manning because they had no realistic alternative.

Calais Campbell and the Jaguars defense would disagree.

Calais Campbell had 14.5 sacks this year. If came in with his big money contract and produced on a level like Jared Odrick no one would be talking about his leadership skills.