Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Better without Fournette?

(This post was last modified: 10-01-2018, 12:57 AM by haveaseat.)

(10-01-2018, 12:48 AM)sfljaguarsfan Wrote:
(10-01-2018, 12:43 AM)haveaseat Wrote: Dont even worry about it. The amount of stupid in this thread would make the Pope swear.

Seriously. I like that these guys think they know more than nfl coaches, talent scouts, GMs and superbowl winning Executives ???. There's a reason LF leads the league in Stacked boxes by over ten percentage points (47 percent of his runs to be exact next closest is Gurley at 30 something percent). HINT - IT'S BECAUSE EVERY NFL COACH KNOWS WHAT HE'LL DO WITHOUT THAT

People here should know every team's plan is stop the run and put the ball in Bortles hands. Yet they act shocked when teams are full out committing to stopping Fournette and he can't get going. He's great but can't constantly run through an entire defense in run commit!!!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Oh just shut up and stop with the stacked boxes crap.

Fournette is facing stacked boxes because when he's on the field this Offense constantly sends out only 1 WR and everybody else is packed inside. Stacked boxes is simply a numbers game. Put 3-5 receivers out wide and teams aren't going to stack 9 players into the box... It's not rocket science.

This team tries to force feed Fournette the ball and they should wait until later in the game for that, not first thing.

And you guys keep using "IF" a whole lot.. "IF he was healthy", "IF he wasn't hurt" blah blah blah... Hey guess what... It doesn't matter how good you are, or could be.. The best ability is availability and it always will be.

The scenario with sending multiple receivers out isn't always a solution. Even then you have to win the one on one battle. If you've watched any game you can see the corner, LB and safety blitzes are coming on a consistent basis and the defenses are playing close to the line of scrimmage. It makes it difficult for WR's to gain separation in press coverage and defenses are trying to test Bortles. He doesn't have the time to throw so they send Fournette running into a stacked defense.

(10-01-2018, 01:19 AM)haveaseat Wrote: The scenario with sending multiple receivers out isn't always a solution. Even then you have to win the one on one battle. If you've watched any game you can see the corner, LB and safety blitzes are coming on a consistent basis and the defenses are playing close to the line of scrimmage. It makes it difficult for WR's to gain separation in press coverage and defenses are trying to test Bortles. He doesn't have the time to throw so they send Fournette running into a stacked defense.

Wallbash

(10-01-2018, 01:22 AM)Eric1 Wrote:
(10-01-2018, 01:19 AM)haveaseat Wrote: The scenario with sending multiple receivers out isn't always a solution. Even then you have to win the one on one battle. If you've watched any game you can see the corner, LB and safety blitzes are coming on a consistent basis and the defenses are playing close to the line of scrimmage. It makes it difficult for WR's to gain separation in press coverage and defenses are trying to test Bortles. He doesn't have the time to throw so they send Fournette running into a stacked defense.

Wallbash

Pretty much what I expected from you.

(This post was last modified: 10-01-2018, 01:33 AM by sfljaguarsfan.)

(10-01-2018, 01:22 AM)Eric1 Wrote:

Wallbash
Exactly how we feel with your lack of football knowledge. Putting more wr out wide means less blockers for the run as well. Typically with an I formation there is a FB as well which is Fournettes preferred way of one cut running and choosing his lane off a FB block vs zone schemes (Google it as I'm Sure u have no idea what that means). So a I formation is standard 2 backs one TE and 2 WRs and lines up 7 defenders in the box leaving two safeties and two CBs in coverage.

We run a ton of that formation and variants of it with fournette in and defenses are still bringing a safety down (the 8th player in the box) leaving single safety over top coverage or even going zero coverage and bringing both safeties down - essentially saying we'd rather get beat by Bortles than let Leonard run all over us... Which he would do if they don't bring extra help. To be blunt - your reply is just dead wrong. We do run some jumbo packages with every rb but it's not the base formation with him or any rb in.

(10-01-2018, 01:28 AM)haveaseat Wrote:
(10-01-2018, 01:22 AM)Eric1 Wrote: Wallbash

Pretty much what I expected from you.

The irony is beyond real right now  Wallbash

(10-01-2018, 01:36 AM)Eric1 Wrote:
(10-01-2018, 01:28 AM)haveaseat Wrote: Pretty much what I expected from you.

Wow, "clever" answer. You really are smarter than everybody else!

(10-01-2018, 01:36 AM)Eric1 Wrote:
(10-01-2018, 01:28 AM)haveaseat Wrote: Pretty much what I expected from you.

At least we both love the Office my dude

(This post was last modified: 10-01-2018, 01:47 AM by Eric1.)

(10-01-2018, 01:30 AM)sfljaguarsfan Wrote:
(10-01-2018, 01:22 AM)Eric1 Wrote: Wallbash
Exactly how we feel with your lack of football knowledge. Putting more wr out wide means less blockers for the run as well. Typically with an I formation there is a FB as well which is Fournettes preferred way of one cut running and choosing his lane off a FB block vs zone schemes (Google it as I'm Sure u have no idea what that means). So a I formation is standard 2 backs one TE and 2 WRs and lines up 7 defenders in the box leaving two safeties and two CBs in coverage.

We run a ton of that formation and variants of it with fournette in and defenses are still bringing a safety down (the 8th player in the box) leaving single safety over top coverage or even going zero coverage and bringing both safeties down - essentially saying we'd rather get beat by Bortles than let Leonard run all over us... Which he would do if they don't bring extra help. To be blunt - your reply is just dead wrong. We do run some jumbo packages with every rb but it's not the base formation with him or any rb in.

LMAO my lack of football knowledge.. I'm seriously upset with myself that I even waste my time responding to some of you on here  Sick

(10-01-2018, 01:40 AM)haveaseat Wrote:
(10-01-2018, 01:36 AM)Eric1 Wrote: The irony is beyond real right now  Wallbash

At least we both love the Office my dude

Hey brother, we can agree on that.. As long as it's before Michael Scott left. Show was complete garbage after that.

(10-01-2018, 01:44 AM)Eric1 Wrote:
(10-01-2018, 01:30 AM)sfljaguarsfan Wrote: Exactly how we feel with your lack of football knowledge. Putting more wr out wide means less blockers for the run as well. Typically with an I formation there is a FB as well which is Fournettes preferred way of one cut running and choosing his lane off a FB block vs zone schemes (Google it as I'm Sure u have no idea what that means). So a I formation is standard 2 backs one TE and 2 WRs and lines up 7 defenders in the box leaving two safeties and two CBs in coverage.

LMAO my lack of football knowledge.. I'm seriously upset with myself that I even waste my time responding to some of you on here . 

Practically took the words right outta my mouth  I guess I should feel lucky to have a real life member of our very own forums that knows more than every coach and gm in the entire NFL  How oh how have we kept the Uber talented Yeldon, such a talented back on our roster all this time with all the huge offers we must be getting for a back that could be a feature back all this time? HOW have we managed to refuse all these offers? 

You're a clueless know it all dude and when u have nothing left, u post emojies. You might as well have just said "I have nothing" when u posted that.

The reality is Fournette would be the perfect RB to make the focal point of an offense 15-20 years ago but in 2018 he is not at all. Quick look around the league shows guys like Kamara, Gurley, Mcaff, Gordon etc etc thriving on offense with their versatility and that's not what Fournette is or does.
He's a better receiver than people expected but still not gonna cause problems other than the occasional play in space. So you have 3 options...

1) Continue with a Fournette centric ground and pound attack (when he's healthy, which is rarely) and live with the consequences of a bland+conservative offense.

2) Use Fournette much more in space and as a receiver. It's not a good fit for him but I do believe he can offer more than we have seen. He doesn't have the agility to be split out wide but he can do damage in space if you get him there first.

3) Concentrate on the WestCoasty spread we diced up the Pats and Jets with , use Yeldon a lot and then try fit in Fournette when you can. He can help close out games and convert short yardage. When Blake is struggling he can shoulder the load for a period.

Now we were very effective with our Fournette centric offense last year so I'm not totally dismissing it but based on what we have seen so far we have more to give on offense than that. Option 3 is my preferred route but I'm not so sure it's the one we will see, unless of course the injury woes keep up.

(10-01-2018, 01:55 AM)sfljaguarsfan Wrote:
(10-01-2018, 01:44 AM)Eric1 Wrote: LMAO my lack of football knowledge.. I'm seriously upset with myself that I even waste my time responding to some of you on here . 

Practically took the words right outta my mouth  I guess I should feel lucky to have a real life member of our very own forums that knows more than every coach and gm in the entire NFL  How oh how have we kept the Uber talented Yeldon, such a talented back on our roster all this time with all the huge offers we must be getting for a back that could be a feature back all this time? HOW have we managed to refuse all these offers? 

You're a clueless know it all dude and when u have nothing left, u post emojies. You might as well have just said "I have nothing" when u posted that.

You're an idiot

Fournette looks slow again. I don't think we'll ever see the Leonard we had early last season before the ankle injury. I wouldn't mind bringing in Le'Veon Bell and putting Fournette on IR. The guy used to be a headline of the league now he's almost an afterthought. At least with Bell you get a reliable player with all of the intangibles you could ask for. Aside from maybe Gurley you get a do it all back that comes to play every week.
No pain, no gain.

(This post was last modified: 10-01-2018, 06:16 AM by The Real Marty.)

(10-01-2018, 12:55 AM)haveaseat Wrote:
(10-01-2018, 12:48 AM)sfljaguarsfan Wrote: Seriously. I like that these guys think they know more than nfl coaches, talent scouts, GMs and superbowl winning Executives ???. There's a reason LF leads the league in Stacked boxes by over ten percentage points (47 percent of his runs to be exact next closest is Gurley at 30 something percent). HINT - IT'S BECAUSE EVERY NFL COACH KNOWS WHAT HE'LL DO WITHOUT THAT

People here should know every team's plan is stop the run and put the ball in Bortles hands. Yet they act shocked when teams are full out committing to stopping Fournette and he can't get going. He's great but can't constantly run through an entire defense in run commit!!!

And that is why I don't understand why we keep pounding the guy into a stacked box.  If he's in there, and the defense has stacked the box to stop him, he's done his job and we should throw the ball in that situation, especially on first down.

(10-01-2018, 05:54 AM)JaguarJosh05 Wrote: Fournette looks slow again. I don't think we'll ever see the Leonard we had early last season before the ankle injury. I wouldn't mind bringing in Le'Veon Bell and putting Fournette on IR. The guy used to be a headline of the league now he's almost an afterthought. At least with Bell you get a reliable player with all of the intangibles you could ask for. Aside from maybe Gurley you get a do it all back that comes to play every week.

Acquiring Bell would require trading away several high draft choices, and then giving him a huge contract.   

And as for "comes to play every week..." in case you haven't noticed, Bell hasn't come to play in a long time.

(10-01-2018, 02:15 AM)Eric1 Wrote:
(10-01-2018, 01:55 AM)sfljaguarsfan Wrote: Practically took the words right outta my mouth  I guess I should feel lucky to have a real life member of our very own forums that knows more than every coach and gm in the entire NFL  How oh how have we kept the Uber talented Yeldon, such a talented back on our roster all this time with all the huge offers we must be getting for a back that could be a feature back all this time? HOW have we managed to refuse all these offers? 

You're an idiot

People that resort to name calling do that when they have lost and know it. Take this giant L right on the forehead!

My concerns are starting to grow with Fournette. It’s not that he’s a bad player, but I think it’s clear he was overdrafted, especially considering we could have taken Mahomes (!) in that draft.

(10-01-2018, 01:55 AM)sfljaguarsfan Wrote:
(10-01-2018, 01:44 AM)Eric1 Wrote: LMAO my lack of football knowledge.. I'm seriously upset with myself that I even waste my time responding to some of you on here . 

Are you even watching the games? Yeldon has been flat out awesome all season. He actually makes cuts and hits the open hole where Fournette hasn't done that this year. It also helps that Yeldon can actually see the field.

Fournette is a fine player but when he's in the game, everyone knows the Jags are going to run the ball. Throw in Yeldon and the Jags become more unpredictable. Now maybe that's on the coaching but if you've watched every game this season (and just this season) I don't see how you can say Fournette has been better. 

Also, this is a message board where people post their opinions. No one is claiming to be an NFL coach but you apparently have an issue with people who disagree with you. When Bradley and Gene Smith were here, you probably said "I love how some of these guys think they know more than Bradley and Gene." Well.... Some of us did.

Fournette's effectiveness is arguable. However, when healthy, opposing teams do have to game plan for him. Now that he's probably out for the next few games, the opposition will probably focus on Yeldon and his tendencies. While having some pass/run balance is good for keeping defenses in check, I think Bortles has shown that he is capable of running a pass first offense like most teams in the NFL.

One advantage this team has is that our defense is good enough that we can still win games even if Bortles doesn't play great. He just needs to not play bad.

I've really liked Yeldon since day 1. He's a very versatile back and a huge piece of our success.

He and Fournette are different players. I do not think losing a player of Fournette's caliber makes us better. Having both of them healthy with a good game plan is ideal.

People suggesting we trade Fournette are the same ones saying we should have fired Marrone after last week.