Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NFL.com - Jags owner willing to make Ramsey highest-paid CB

(09-21-2019, 11:28 AM)I am Yoda Wrote:
(09-21-2019, 11:19 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Well, the flip side of that is where those two picks will actually fall in the draft order. 

Baltimore hasn't really faced a tough opponent yet, but if they stay on the track they are on, those could be picks #26 and #58 (or something like that)

That's true enough.  I tend to think the current offense is more a gimmick that defenses will figure out.  But there's no denying the talent of Jackson and Brown.

I think I'm just ready for the drama to be over.  Truth is that I can't stand Ramsey, but I love how he plays.  Few things irk me more in life than hubris and disrespect and he has those in spades.  And if he is so over the hill in his egotism that he won't respect the chain of command and can't be reeled in, he has to go.  

And I believe an elite corner is a luxury, not a necessity.  We can find a replacement in the draft.  That replacement won't be an All Pro most likely.  But we can find a quality starter.  They make them every year.

It's not really hubris if you can back it up, it's just plain old arrogance.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(09-21-2019, 10:32 AM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(09-21-2019, 10:25 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Sounds like speculation to me.

It's all speculation right now.. Pretty much everything..

Yeah it was a joke, he tweeted that right after the first quarter lol

(This post was last modified: 09-21-2019, 11:37 AM by dennisp3.)

My big concern is do we lose players like Calais or Yan to break the bank for Jalen? What happens if we start losing are we going to face the same problem in the future? Wil hel become cancer in the locker room when he is unhappy for some personal reason? Keeping or trading him is a two-edge sword I just don't know which side of the blade I prefer. I need to know what the ramifications of giving him a bank-breaking contract and how it will affect signing other players before I can justify keeping Jalen.

(09-21-2019, 11:35 AM)dennisp3 Wrote: My big concern is do we lose players like Calais or Yan to break the bank for Jalen?  What happens if we start losing are we going to face the same problem in the future?  Wil hel become cancer in the locker room when he is unhappy for some personal reason?  Keeping or trading him is a two-edge sword I just don't know which side of the blade I prefer. I need to know what the ramifications of giving him a bank-breaking contract and how it will affect signing other players before I can justify keeping Jalen.

What Jalen would make isn't the problem, the problem is doing things like bidding a guy's contact up when you're the only one doing any bidding.

Foles is going to be a massive cap hit as a backup QB. A lot of guys are going to have to be cut to pay for the team doubling down on paying QBs for what they did in the 2017 playoffs.

(09-21-2019, 11:45 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(09-21-2019, 11:35 AM)dennisp3 Wrote: My big concern is do we lose players like Calais or Yan to break the bank for Jalen?  What happens if we start losing are we going to face the same problem in the future?  Wil hel become cancer in the locker room when he is unhappy for some personal reason?  Keeping or trading him is a two-edge sword I just don't know which side of the blade I prefer. I need to know what the ramifications of giving him a bank-breaking contract and how it will affect signing other players before I can justify keeping Jalen.

What Jalen would make isn't the problem, the problem is doing things like bidding a guy's contact up when you're the only one doing any bidding.

Foles is going to be a massive cap hit as a backup QB. A lot of guys are going to have to be cut to pay for the team doubling down on paying QBs for what they did in the 2017 playoffs.

I'm loving Minshew Mania as much as the next guy.  But let's not kid ourselves.  We don't know yet that he is going to be a quality starter long term.  We do know Foles is.  I'm happy is Gardner is a quality backup for a couple of years or so.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

(09-21-2019, 11:45 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:

Well, one thing I am sure about is I would rather have Foles in the locker-room than Jalen. Let's not blame the team for signing Foles no one expected Minshew to be this successful being picked in the sixth round. If any team expected Minshew to be a starting quarterback he would have never seen the sixth round.

(09-21-2019, 11:50 AM)I am Yoda Wrote:
(09-21-2019, 11:45 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: What Jalen would make isn't the problem, the problem is doing things like bidding a guy's contact up when you're the only one doing any bidding.

I'm loving Minshew Mania as much as the next guy.  But let's not kid ourselves.  We don't know yet that he is going to be a quality starter long term.  We do know Foles is.  I'm happy is Gardner is a quality backup for a couple of years or so.

We don't know that about Foles, either. He got paid because of a late season and playoffs run in 2017. His reputation was one of never having made it through a full season and he still hasn't. If Minshew falls on his face then Foles will get another shot, but the next couple of months of games could see the Jags win 6 or 7. Is Marrone going to bench Minshew in December if the team is 4 or 5 games over .500? I don't doubt Foles will suddenly need more time to heal in that case.

If they have to let Calais go because of Jalens contract that would be a disaster I don't care how old Calais is. He is the glue that holds this defense together and Jalen is the solvent that breaks it up. I believer Calais has a good two to three years left as a player.

(09-21-2019, 12:04 PM)dennisp3 Wrote: If they have to let Calais go because of Jalens contract that would be a disaster I don't care how old Calais is. He is the glue that holds this defense together and Jalen is the solvent that breaks it up. I believer Calais has a good two to three years left as a player.

The contract they gave Jack is a bigger problem, they paid him way over his production.

(09-21-2019, 12:05 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(09-21-2019, 12:04 PM)dennisp3 Wrote: If they have to let Calais go because of Jalens contract that would be a disaster I don't care how old Calais is. He is the glue that holds this defense together and Jalen is the solvent that breaks it up. I believer Calais has a good two to three years left as a player.

The contract they gave Jack is a bigger problem, they paid him way over his production.
I do agree with you on Jacks contract, and that is a reflection on the front office. If Jalen gets a new contract that results in us losing key players, who do we hold responsible Kahn or Tom? I think it falls directly on the owner's shoulders.

Khan's statement yesterday "ups the ante" for Ramsay. It's still possible that a team desperate for a generational cornerback who can help get them to the Super Bowl will make an offer the Jags can't refuse. Would the Eagles be willing to part with Sidney Jones (yes, if Ramsay replaces him), Dallas Goeddert (maybe, since they have Ertz but they love using these guys together), and a 1st rounder? Obviously, the 1st rounder would be very late, but this is the best the Jaguars could do. They'd get 2 guys who are very good to play immediately and an extra first next season. I doubt the Eagles would do this, but I'd take nothing less than that. Otherwise, just pay Ramsay and hope the defense continues to perform at a very high level and Minshew doesn't lose his magic.

Leaving on a cruise for a week and too cheap to buy WIFI. Hopefully I come back Saturday to Ramsey still being a Jag

(09-21-2019, 12:05 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:

I feel that Jalen is Butt Hurt because Myles got his contract first. As it has now been revealed, Jalen, in the meeting w/Coughlin and Marrone stated his concerns w/respect to players getting paid w/o performing to that level of play. Supposedly he mentioned Bortles and a couple of other players. He's upset that the money isn't there for him and Yann (his words) This Year. 

Jalen started all of this by playing man coverage when the rest of the defense played zone coverage. This is also the reasoning that he and Marrone, he and Harrison had that altercation on the sideline. I like Jalen and I LOVE his play But he put himself before the team. He's NOT cancerous, he's confident and cocky at times. 

Jalen will remain an Jaguar in my opinion. He's too good to let go and if he's playing better than all other CBs, he needs to be paid as such. We offered Yann in accordance to his worth and he turned it down. He shouldn't have cause he may not perform as well this year w/Allen in the mix.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
"AZANE"

(09-20-2019, 10:41 AM)nhiverson Wrote: Pay him and Fire Coughlin pretty simple.

I'm not understanding this urge to fire Coughlin.

(09-21-2019, 12:22 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: Khan's statement yesterday "ups the ante" for Ramsay. It's still possible that a team desperate for a generational cornerback who can help get them to the Super Bowl will make an offer the Jags can't refuse. Would the Eagles be willing to part with Sidney Jones (yes, if Ramsay replaces him), Dallas Goeddert (maybe, since they have Ertz but they love using these guys together), and a 1st rounder? Obviously, the 1st rounder would be very late, but this is the best the Jaguars could do. They'd get 2 guys who are very good to play immediately and an extra first next season. I doubt the Eagles would do this, but I'd take nothing less than that. Otherwise, just pay Ramsay and hope the defense continues to perform at a very high level and Minshew doesn't lose his magic.

I can see them still wanting to trade Ramsey with the statement a clever means by Khan to maximize his worth in a trade. Teams know we're willing to pay now so they can't just low-ball us and think it will do any good. 
'02

“This is going to start a terrible trend in the NFL”

No. No it’s not. Only a select few in the NFL even have the ability to ask for a trade. You think someone like Najai Goode can elk up to Caldwell and demand a trade?! Lol players have been doing this for years. Eli and Elway when they were drafted to the teams they didn’t want (also seemed to work out for them).

Players have sat out before (Vincent Jackson) when they didn’t get the contract they want. The difference is that information is so readily available now that you get everything the second it goes down.

I'm not worried about any salary cap ramifications leading up to the next CBA. I have a feeling the big guys are not going to be so charitable to small markets next go around. When you look around the league, is there really a growing sense that the owners care all that much about small markets?

There is time to work this stuff out and will all happen above my pay grade.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(This post was last modified: 09-21-2019, 05:43 PM by knarnn.)

https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/1175...36801?s=21

https://twitter.com/mikegarafolo/status/...70208?s=21
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(09-21-2019, 12:39 PM)NH3 Wrote:
(09-21-2019, 12:05 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: The contract they gave Jack is a bigger problem, they paid him way over his production.

I feel that Jalen is Butt Hurt because Myles got his contract first. As it has now been revealed, Jalen, in the meeting w/Coughlin and Marrone stated his concerns w/respect to players getting paid w/o performing to that level of play. Supposedly he mentioned Bortles and a couple of other players. He's upset that the money isn't there for him and Yann (his words) This Year

Jalen started all of this by playing man coverage when the rest of the defense played zone coverage. This is also the reasoning that he and Marrone, he and Harrison had that altercation on the sideline. I like Jalen and I LOVE his play But he put himself before the team. He's NOT cancerous, he's confident and cocky at times. 

Jalen will remain an Jaguar in my opinion. He's too good to let go and if he's playing better than all other CBs, he needs to be paid as such. We offered Yann in accordance to his worth and he turned it down. He shouldn't have cause he may not perform as well this year w/Allen in the mix.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...

This sounds very feasible but I would like to see a source for this.

What I don't quite understand is supposedly a meeting with Coughlin as well as Marrone regarding contracts/money.  If it was a meeting with Coughlin and Caldwell then it would make a little more sense.  I base this soley off of Marrone saying numerous times that he "stays out of contract talks" when it comes to players.

I can see the blowup between player and coach if he was "freelancing" and playing man when he should have been playing zone on the play in question, regardless of the outcome.  If that's what actually happened and caused the sideline blowup I agree with you, he was putting himself before the team.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(09-21-2019, 05:41 PM)knarnn Wrote: https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/1175...36801?s=21

https://twitter.com/mikegarafolo/status/...70208?s=21

Note that Garafalo cant tell you what the price is, because there doesnt appear to be one. Media sensationalism at its finest.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

I think if we are 2-6 or 3-5 by the trade deadline then we might trade him at a sliiigjtly lower rate. 

I don’t think we’ll be that low though. I think we will be about 4-4 or 5-3 by the deadline