Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Week 2 talk: KC vs Jax

(09-14-2023, 06:36 PM)carp8dm Wrote: I just re-read my post.  I'm not a hater.  But I do think that this current play calling is not good.  The offense Week 1 didn't look anything like how Pederson called plays last year.  And if it's true that Press Taylor is now calling plays, then I think he needs to stop and learn more from Pederson.

Relax.  1st game of the season the offense is usually clunky.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(09-14-2023, 06:27 PM)carp8dm Wrote: The first Quarter looked like this...  The 2nd and 3rd didn't look like this.  And honestly, the 4th Quarter was just us over powering a lesser team.

I'm sorry.

You providing still photos of a game isn't the same as what I watched last year, versus what we all witnessed on Sunday.  We won on Sunday, I'm happy for that.  But to say that the offense we watched Sunday is as good as what we had last year is just not true.

Start at 9:28 -  I don't even remember a throw down the middle of the field  The Bunch Formation worked properly.    ETN fumbled the ball, but still at least it looked like a potential gainer...  That first drive looked very different that what we saw on Sunday.  Please don't tell me that you think that the colts out played us.  That's the other thing, I don't remember us ever putting motion pre snap...

Down 14, 1st and 10, ETN with an off tackle run.  Ballsy move but a great scheme.  We went heavy on the left and then pulled Engram to the Strong Side.  Then ETN pulled to the off side.  That is a great run scheme.  A scheme we didn't see at all on Sunday.  ETN is the best RB on the team.

Tank's 3rd down run was luck based on an illegal pull forward. Everyone knows it.  I was happy the ref's didn't call it, but he was clearly held up and pulled forward.

But I'm sure you have a picture where TANK was moving forward to the goal line.  Let's just ignore the illegal pull.  Show me, bro.  Show me how legal that play was.  That play was legal. 

33:19 - Another great play call.  Misdirection and getting it to our TE.  Great call, great execution.  Sunday's game?  The execution was OK.  But we should have done a lot better.

I mean,  come one...

Just watch the last hour of this game.  I gave you the link.  You think what we saw on Sunday looks anything like how we played against the Cowboys?  Man, or the Ravens?  Or the Chargers??  I'm sure if you go and look for some pictures, you can prove me wrong. I've already done that. 

We got it together and beat a team we are better than.  But we looked sub-optimial against a team that we should be able to outclass early on.  No amount of pictures can change that fact when you look at how we performed at the end of the season last year compared to the way we played in week 1.

If you're upset that an NFL football team wasn't firing on all cylinders the way it did during moments of its best games the prior year, I guess you haven't watched NFL football for any number of years consecutively.  

This happens to many teams almost every year. 

You began this by blaming the plays themselves, the playcalling, and some false narrative of run, run, pass. 
ALL of that has been proven to be not the case.

It was none of those things and we won by 10 points on the road. 

Sorry, man. Nothing personal. I'm really not trying to be a jerk, but now you are just moving the goalposts trying to find something else to gripe about from that Jags week one win on the road that featured some of the worst interior offensive line play we've seen since the days of  Zane Beadles and Austin Pasztor.

What you saw was a team that didn't capitalize offensively as often as you wanted them to because they didn't execute the perfectly fine plays that were called. 

Sure, we can find three play calls that should have been better. I can do that for each of our wins last year too. 

They did pretty well considering the poor IOL play and the incorporation of 5 offensive players who were new or returning from injury.

Jags/Chefs Injury Update

[Image: F6BCzrjWoAAXsbK?format=jpg&name=large]

(09-14-2023, 06:36 PM)carp8dm Wrote: I just re-read my post.  I'm not a hater.  But I do think that this current play calling is not good.  The offense Week 1 didn't look anything like how Pederson called plays last year.  And if it's true that Press Taylor is now calling plays, then I think he needs to stop and learn more from Pederson.
31 points. Got a W in a building they haven’t won in since 2018.

I’m not sure what there really is to be mad/upset about.

It was week 1 against a defense that keeps everything in front of them. You’re nitpicking play calling when you legit have absolutely no idea what they called. Trevor also made checks at the line. Did you account for those?

I also remember a segment of this board roasting Pederson because he didn’t run ENOUGH in the beginning of the season. So do we run too much now? Not enough? Or is it generally the same because ITS THE EXACT SAME AS LAST YEAR.

(This post was last modified: 09-14-2023, 07:41 PM by Jaguarmeister. Edited 5 times in total.)

(09-14-2023, 07:19 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
31 points. Got a W in a building they haven’t won in since 2018.

I’m not sure what there really is to be mad/upset about.

It was week 1 against a defense that keeps everything in front of them. You’re nitpicking play calling when you legit have absolutely no idea what they called. Trevor also made checks at the line. Did you account for those?

I also remember a segment of this board roasting Pederson because he didn’t run ENOUGH in the beginning of the season. So do we run too much now? Not enough? Or is it generally the same because ITS THE EXACT SAME AS LAST YEAR.

I'm not upset, but I think its because with their record last year, with them starting a rookie QB and with the way we closed out last year, some (myself included) had expectations of putting the game out of reach earlier than it happened.  The reason we didn't pull away sooner is a combination of it being week 1, the clots D-line being better than previously given credit for, a weird defensive score for the clots and finally it being a divisional game where it's more common for a weaker opponent to rise to the occasion.

The announcement prior to the game that Press would take over play calling full time has replaced all of the above as the apparent reason we didn't put that game out of reach sooner.  There were a handful of plays called that made most go "why'd they call that?", coupled with the timing of the announcement about Press and the knee-jerk "it's all about the bad play calling" narrative is born.

Honestly, if that defensive score is instead handled properly and held onto by Tank, I think that game is out of reach much sooner than the way it played out and I don't think we hear a peep about play calling issues. It felt to me like as soon as we could get to be up two scores, it was over. I will probably feel that same way about every game we play this year. We just didn't get there with the clots until the end.

The truth is, the team did not play great last week. There were a lot of mental errors.

Despite that, the team won by double digits against a division opponent on the Road. That is a great sign.

This KC game is going to be a measuring stick game. Lets see if we can live up to tall the talk. If the team gets handled easy by KC it simply means the team is not elite yet. I think the Jags are going to make a statement in this game.

(09-14-2023, 06:45 PM)copycat Wrote:

Relax.  1st game of the season the offense is usually clunky.
31 points is nice for clunky. There was a time clunky meant 13 points here if we were lucky.

Its all about the offensive line. If its strong? Lawrence can make monster plays potentially.

If it's weak? Lawrence can still operate quickly and efficiently enough to score points. We'll lose on some drives.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(09-14-2023, 08:31 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(09-14-2023, 06:45 PM)copycat Wrote: Relax.  1st game of the season the offense is usually clunky.
31 points is nice for clunky. There was a time clunky meant 13 points here if we were lucky.

Its all about the offensive line. If its strong? Lawrence can make monster plays potentially.

If it's weak? Lawrence can still operate quickly and efficiently enough to score points. We'll lose on some drives.

13 points felt like it had a force field blocking us from going past it when Gabbs was the QB, good lord i don't miss those days. i'd take Blake Bortles for 10 more years than have to watch Blaine start for the next 3. He wasnt even here that long but god it felt like an eternity.

(This post was last modified: 09-15-2023, 05:33 AM by JaguarJosh2. Edited 1 time in total.)

I'd imagine we're game planning around not being able to produce up the middle. It will be Chris Jones against iffy makeshift players. The game is going to be on Trev and the receivers, with the defense giving us a legitimate chance. That isn't really much different from any other week. Just be us and bring the noise.

(09-14-2023, 08:31 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(09-14-2023, 06:45 PM)copycat Wrote: Relax.  1st game of the season the offense is usually clunky.

Exactly!  31 on the road and the offense did not look smooth yet.  I’ll take it all day long.  Now if the offense looks like this in week 8 then I might be a little concerned but not in week 1.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

A coworker says it will be a rainy game. The forecast I see says a 50% chance of rain, which is the equivalent of a meteorological shrug.

(09-14-2023, 09:57 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(09-14-2023, 06:45 AM)MarleyJag Wrote: You may be right. KC is going to be desperate to avoid 0-2 and will have a boost with Jones and Kelce returning. Also sounds like our normal September game heat will be comparatively mild. It will be challenging. I think we can win but if I were betting, I’d expect a 10 point loss. Maybe they’ll surprise us though, this is a very different team than years past even with the patchwork OL.

I think I've listened to 30 interviews with Andy Reid. 
Probably watched 60-70 games that he's coached. 

I don't ever remember a single second of hearing him speak or watching his demeanor and picking up on "desperate" from him.  

I doubt that is the tone in that locker room.

They are the Super Bowl champs coming to a team they just beat twice last year. What are they supposed to be desperate about exactly? They are the favored team in this game.

THis is the fine line between desperation and urgency. Some things don't need to be said to the teams that know their objectives, either. Every player on that team already knows that an 0-2 start is bad news, Andy don't need to remind them.

We need Allen and Walker to take this game over on defense. I'd try to put Cambell on Kelce when he play man like Denver used to with with Bailey on Gonzalez. We are going to have to mix it up defensively.

KC is not desparate. What they do not want is to fall 2 1/2 games behind the Jags. They took a risk last week holding Kelce out so he could play against the Jags.

They also found out they NEED Chris Jones on defense this week so they pushed a deal through. Their worst nightmare is a comfortable TL standing in the pocket with these receivers running around downfield.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

Bit of a toss-up this one for me ... If Kelce's on all cylinders I'd give them the edge, if not i lean towards us.

Almost more important for me is almost 'how' we play the game. The better teams tend to raise themselves for contenders. If we play with no fear, show real belief on the field (rather than just talking a good game in the press as 32 teams will do this friday) and go up a couple of gears and meet them blow for blow i'll be happy. Last year was great fun and the players did themselves proud but I felt in the Chiefs game we went in with some belief ... And a percentage of hoping we could win ... The step from there to belief and knowing and expecting to win is subtle but an oceanic gulf in where it takes your team ... For which I'm thankful i think we have the right cat on the tin roof in Pederson.

I don't go in for regular season 'revenge' it's a paper tiger... But we can put our first line in the sand on Sunday by how we play.

This is going to be an offensive duel. Jeff Lageman predicts over a 70-point game. I agree.

(09-15-2023, 05:57 AM)copycat Wrote:
(09-14-2023, 08:31 PM)Caldrac Wrote: 31 points is nice for clunky. There was a time clunky meant 13 points here if we were lucky.

Exactly!  31 on the road and the offense did not look smooth yet.  I’ll take it all day long.  Now if the offense looks like this in week 8 then I might be a little concerned but not in week 1.

If the offense looks like this and is winning games by 10 points in Week 8 you and the rest of us will be celebrating.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

It would certainly be handier than most games to get a lead early and keep making them play catch up.

(This post was last modified: 09-15-2023, 10:12 AM by Caldrac. Edited 3 times in total.)

(09-15-2023, 08:38 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: This is going to be an offensive duel. Jeff Lageman predicts over a 70-point game. I agree.

Jeff thinks that, eh? I don't know. I think both teams respect each other's QB's to the point to where the running game might be heavily featured more than the passing game just to keep our respective QB's off the field. 

I would think it's right around a 59 - 63 total points type of game. Whoever has the ball last more than likely wins it as it'll probably come down to both teams dealing with challenges but finding enough flashes in the pan here and there to put points on the board. 

Our interior line is weak. I think their outside protection is weak, after what happened against Detroit. Their receivers also have to show they can catch the football. 

There's going to be long drives that result in nothing burgers and then there's going to be a few short drives that result in TD's or last minute FG's. It's going to be fun to watch either way. 

This really should have been a Sunday night football contest. I guess the NFL had to try to make it somewhat fair after giving them a 10 day rest advantage they figured they could come over here at 1 PM and absorb the heat directly and humidity.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

My inclination is 34-27 in favor of the bad guys - but this game could go down lots of different ways.

WILDCARD FACTORS:

Jags defense can be scrappy - and if the ball bounces their way a few times it could alter the predictability here.
Need to score on defense or set up the offense for some easy points.

Unfortunately - I feel like the we'll be playing against the chefs AND the zebras this week - and we'll have to be good enough to beat both of them.

Maybe, just maybe, Jones has a little rust and doesn't completely rag doll and dismantle our iOL. Probably not, but one can hope...

Does every target for Mahomes not named Kelce continue to struggle? Also doubtful, but again, one can hope...

Pacheco - Jags need a plan here. He was a major factor in continuing scoring drives for the chefs in each of the Jags last two losses. That drive that everyone keeps saying "Henne led them down the field" about? That was 70% Pacheco.
Keep him from getting hot and extending multiple drives - and things shift a bit.

Swagnew: A couple of big returns / a ST score / or maybe even one of those gadget plays goes to the house?
We need help from every facet of this roster worthy of touches. He can alter momentum. We've seen it.