Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Who has cut the cord?

Update on PlayStation Vue

The pausing feature seems to allow only a 5 minute pause then starts playing. Even with the pause(5 min delay) it won't let you skip 5 minutes of commercial. However if you play it before the 5 minutes you can skip ahead. That's kinda lame. But, again, to save a hundred a month I won't complain. Supposedly shows you DVR you can skip, back up, pause like normal. I've got some shows set up to DVR and I'll report back on that.

I do in fact receive the channels listed on their website.

As I encounter more pros and cons I'll keep you guys informed. So far the it's as advertised, with the exception of skipping commercials after being paused.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:You can't watch live games through game pass can you? With my potentially new set up, all I'd be missing is NFL Network and their Thursday night games. Unless I can cast from Verizon's NFL mobile to my tv?? Does that deal with Verizon apply for the upcoming season?
There's slight delay on the stream but it's completely live. It's actually a direct stream of the American TV signal so with Jags games you usually get the CBS crew, promos for CBS shows and the commercials as well though those can replaced by a generic splash screen due to licensing rights. 

Quote:You can't watch live games through game pass can you? With my potentially new set up, all I'd be missing is NFL Network and their Thursday night games. Unless I can cast from Verizon's NFL mobile to my tv?? Does that deal with Verizon apply for the upcoming season?

You can only watch completed games with the American version but there are ways *cough*vpn*cough* to appear as though you are somewhere else...then again I'm just assuming you're in the U Es of Aye 

Today I should be getting the ClearStream 2v antenna. Supposed to be pretty good. Not too fond of other antennas I've tried. If this new antenna works well then I think I'll get a Tablo.

Upfront cost of cutting the cord isn't cheap if you try to replicate what you used to get. But the monthly price after will pay for itself shortly.

So far, my shopping list as well as expected purchases will include:

Antenna: 90.00. Tablo: 200. Fire tv box 85.00. (2) Fire sticks with voice remote 100.00 plus a 30.00/ month subscription to PlayStation Vue. Upfront cost of close to 500. But only paying 30 a month if it all works out. My Dish bill is about to go up to 130 plus the taxes. And that is after I downgraded to a lesser programming package. So I guess you can add another 240 for cancellation fee. But still way less than I'd pay if I carried out the contract.

To my surprise fire tv has the Tablo app. So I should be able to run my antenna straight to a Tablo (connected to my router) then watch OTA locals from the app on Fire tv. Pretty slick if I'm understanding it all right.

Quote:There's slight delay on the stream but it's completely live. It's actually a direct stream of the American TV signal so with Jags games you usually get the CBS crew, promos for CBS shows and the commercials as well though those can replaced by a generic splash screen due to licensing rights.
So even in America I can I get game pass and watch TNF almost live? Or is a VPN in order to bypass that?

Apologies if this question violates what what posted earlier about being legal.

Quote:You can only watch completed games with the American version but there are ways *cough*vpn*cough* to appear as though you are somewhere else...then again I'm just assuming you're in the U Es of Aye
Lol. Didn't see your reply. Ok. Then I think I've figured it out. I'll use my " I live here" feature!

Does chrome cast work with iPhone if I wanted to cast that NFL Verizon app to the TV? And would the Twitter deal mean Verizon can't let their customers watch TNF for "free"

(This post was last modified: 06-17-2016, 09:15 PM by Jags.)

I've got to say, my wife has been EXTREMELY helpful during this trial period. Here I am trying to see if all would stay sane if I cut the cord. Set up my antenna and try to show her how to get to OTA tv through our tv and let's test the new antenna to see if all the channels come in and she is reading a magazine. Uh, ma'am! Can I get your attention please!? Do these channels come in good enough for you? HEY! Look at the friggin tv!!!! Ugh! Ok that works so stop using dish for the next 6 days and use the locals from the antenna or use the PlayStation Vue app on fire tv. Ok? Ok. So she goes into the bedroom and turns on the dish to catch up on Game of Thrones! Are u kidding me? We are trying this new set up!!! Yes I know we can get HBO without having cable/satellite but come on woman!

Edit: ha I got the last laugh. I got a sweet picture frame with my daughters hand prints in a shape of a heart and footprint that said, Daddy, I love you from the bottom of my heart to the tips of my toes.

So. Took my wife's degree off the office wall and hung that up. Yep.

Regarding Tablo, I bought the 2 tuner version thinking it would be plenty for the few channels it will service, but my wife records several major network prime time series. There have been a few instances where I wanted to watch something on a different local channel but couldn't through tablo because both tuners were in use recording her shows. You could get around this by buying the 4 tuner tablo or by having a separate antenna hooked directly into a specific TV. Just an FYI.

Quote:I've got to say, my wife has been EXTREMELY helpful during this trial period. Here I am trying to see if all would stay sane if I cut the cord. Set up my antenna and try to show her how to get to OTA tv through our tv and let's test the new antenna to see if all the channels come in and she is reading a magazine. Uh, ma'am! Can I get your attention please!? Do these channels come in good enough for you? HEY! Look at the friggin tv!!!! Ugh! Ok that works so stop using dish for the next 6 days and use the locals from the antenna or use the PlayStation Vue app on fire tv. Ok? Ok. So she goes into the bedroom and turns on the dish to catch up on Game of Thrones! Are u kidding me? We are trying this new set up!!! Yes I know we can get HBO without having cable/satellite but come on woman!

Edit: ha I got the last laugh. I got a sweet picture frame with my daughters hand prints in a shape of a heart and footprint that said, Daddy, I love you from the bottom of my heart to the tips of my toes.

Training the wife was a challenge here as well but she's adept now.

Quote:Edit: ha I got the last laugh. I got a sweet picture frame with my daughters hand prints in a shape of a heart and footprint that said, Daddy, I love you from the bottom of my heart to the tips of my toes.

I hate to be a downer, but you realize your daughter doesn't love you with her mind, don't you?

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Quote:I hate to be a downer, but you realize your daughter doesn't love you with her mind, don't you?

Or her shoulders, neck, and head.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

Quote:Or her shoulders, neck, and head.

Thankfully her knees and toes do still love him.

There some extremely sick and twisted Admins/Mods on this board.   :unsure:

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:There some extremely sick and twisted Admins/Mods on this board.   :unsure:

It's required. Part of the vetting process.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

Ok you sickos. Here's what I found. The PlayStation Vue seems legit. I'm 98% happy with it. Nothing major to complain about. I figured out the pausing live tv thing. It was user error. But still only lets you pause 5 minutes of live.

Tablo...I returned that. IMO, great concept. But it takes my crystal clear uncompressed DTV signal and kinda make it look like crap. Also, with it sending the channels from the Tablo box to my Fire Box your now adding a wifi affect to it. Which means there is some buffering and takes forever to change the channel. Seemed to work pretty well but I'd rather not be able to pause and have a better picture and just type in the number of the channel I want and it instantly go to that channel. With Tablo you need to go back, back again, then choose the channel, then it asks if you want to watch or record the it'll buffer a sec, then you can watch. Certainly not for channel hoppers. However, if they made a Tablo that had an out to tv so I can just connect it via coax and still have the features then that might be better suited for me. So, for now, I'll just ad a splitter from my antenna so I can feed the other rooms. I may have to ad a preamp or hoping to get away with the splitter that amplifies the signal.

Quote:It's required. Part of the vetting process.

I prefer a petting process.

Quote:Ok you sickos. Here's what I found. The PlayStation Vue seems legit. I'm 98% happy with it. Nothing major to complain about. I figured out the pausing live tv thing. It was user error. But still only lets you pause 5 minutes of live.

Tablo...I returned that. IMO, great concept. But it takes my crystal clear uncompressed DTV signal and kinda make it look like crap. Also, with it sending the channels from the Tablo box to my Fire Box your now adding a wifi affect to it. Which means there is some buffering and takes forever to change the channel. Seemed to work pretty well but I'd rather not be able to pause and have a better picture and just type in the number of the channel I want and it instantly go to that channel. With Tablo you need to go back, back again, then choose the channel, then it asks if you want to watch or record the it'll buffer a sec, then you can watch. Certainly not for channel hoppers. However, if they made a Tablo that had an out to tv so I can just connect it via coax and still have the features then that might be better suited for me. So, for now, I'll just ad a splitter from my antenna so I can feed the other rooms. I may have to ad a preamp or hoping to get away with the splitter that amplifies the signal.

I'm doing the trial of PlayStation Vue myself and so far I'm very pleased with it.  As far as the recording of the stream, I'm working on a solution that will allow pausing for longer.

Regarding the over-the-air antenna, look into an HDHomeRun.  Since you are already streaming it might be the answer for you.  There is an HDHomeRun app for Kodi and probably is one for the Amazon Fire.  That's what I am using right now and it seems to work pretty good.  One thing that I will note though, my network is pretty much all wired with the exception of a few tablets and phones.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:I'm doing the trial of PlayStation Vue myself and so far I'm very pleased with it.  As far as the recording of the stream, I'm working on a solution that will allow pausing for longer.

Regarding the over-the-air antenna, look into an HDHomeRun.  Since you are already streaming it might be the answer for you.  There is an HDHomeRun app for Kodi and probably is one for the Amazon Fire.  That's what I am using right now and it seems to work pretty good.  One thing that I will note though, my network is pretty much all wired with the exception of a few tablets and phones.
My initial thought before my trial was that PlayStation Vue was too good to be true. My wife's thoughts were the same. Throughout my trial (have a day or two left) I'm feeling the same way. So, I'm glad to hear you are trying it and having a similar experience. Oddly enough, Sling Tv, the original company to do this is owned by DishNetwork. Seems like they are aware of the future once everyone else decides to cancel their pay tv. So, I guess I give them credit. But as of now PlayStation has the better lineup in my opinion.

I'll check out the HDHomeRun. Maybe that'll be better for my situation. It's too bad other manufacturers DVRs don't work with satellite. I thought I was getting smart looking for one to save the 12.00/ mo. I'm getting charged for DVR. My thought was if I can eliminate the charges that were nickel and diming me then paying for my package wouldn't be so bad. No luck there.

(This post was last modified: 06-21-2016, 08:19 PM by Jags.)

rollerjag, Wow! Alexa (alexi) whatever here name is, is amazing. I bought the fire box and am very impressed. The voice remote works better than expected. I tell it to go to PlayStation Vue app, it take me there. I ask it the weather it gives it to me. I ask it to play a song it plays it. I ask it a math problem to see if it gives the answe, it gives it. ...and it does it INSTANTLY!!! Idk if that's a testament to its speed or my internet or both, but very impressed. Thanks for the advice. Plus with the box the remote is a lot more responsive when scrolling through menus and such. Great voice recognition as well.

I don't use Siri much but I asked it a question today since I was driving and it totally jacked it up.

Quote:rollerjag, Wow! Alexa (alexi) whatever here name is, is amazing. I bought the fire box and am very impressed. The voice remote works better than expected. I tell it to go to PlayStation Vue app, it take me there. I ask it the weather it gives it to me. I ask it to play a song it plays it. I ask it a math problem to see if it gives the answe, it gives it. ...and it does it INSTANTLY!!! Idk if that's a testament to its speed or my internet or both, but very impressed. Thanks for the advice. Plus with the box the remote is a lot more responsive when scrolling through menus and such. Great voice recognition as well.

I don't use Siri much but I asked it a question today since I was driving and it totally jacked it up.

Look for the technology to only improve as far as the voice recognition.  I bought my first Amazon Fire box to test it out and decided to buy two more for my household.

PlayStation Vue right now seems to be the best subscription service that I've seen.

Regarding the HDHomeRun that I was talking about, it isn't really a DVR.  What it allows you to do is receive local broadcasts from your over-the-air antenna and stream the video over your network to up to 2 different devices.  It is my understanding that they are working on a DVR for recording, but the last time that I checked it's still in development.  I'm actually working on my own version the will work with a Linux computer, though it shouldn't be too difficult to make it cross-platform so that it will work with Windows and Mac as well.  I want to record not only over-the-air video streams, but also streams coming in on my internet connection.