Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Monroe Traded

Quote:Stop using Lewis as your scapegoat. There was no replacement. Get over it.

There was no (immediate) replacement for Cox either....

Yet we moved on. Should have done the same thing with Marcedes last offseason. The fact that he chose to continue with him, is something I disagree with Caldwell on. Its not a "scapegoat". 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

The one positive I see in all of this is the massive amount of picks we have next offseason combined with the cap space we have to use up, there's really NO reason we shouldn't be able to compete next year.

State the obvious take Teddy at one then with the next 9 picks we find a suitable RB,OG,DE,LB,C we can compete. Mix in maybe Alex Mack at C I don't see this as a 3 year project. We should see some payoffs in year 2. 

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:Maybe I'm overreacting, but I don't like the early signs I am seeing. 

He let pretty good & rather inexpensive players such as Cox/ Knighton walk, yet retains Marcedes Lewis who is well overpaid and gives you very little. Now, also seems to be injury prone...

Then he hires a defensive head coach, in an era that is vastly offensive now, and will only likely trend further in that direction, given the climate for concussions and protecting the players...

Now he trades a young player at a premium position for a return that is low value. If you are going to trade a player like that - thats one thing, but you don't do so unless its really worth it to the team to do so. I don't see a 4th/ 5th round pick as something that makes me say - oh yeah - we can't pass THAT up.....

Now Caldwell is saying that thats pretty much it - that he has no intention of making any more trades :wacko:  well, if you're gonna pretty much waive the white flag with the Monroe deal, then why the hell not just go all out and get what you can for the remaining veterans that have some value and stock up on picks for 2014?....

Thats 4 points now that I have taken issue with Caldwell's decisions. 

So, perhaps saying he's Gene or Shack is jumping the gun, but you know what - when its been as long as it has with this team at the bottom - and at the bottom largely because of mis-management - its pretty easy to assume were continuing as business as usual. 
OK.  I understand your concerns.  The jury is still out on the guy, of course, but I don't think these points are as so bad.  Obviously the coaching hire can't really be evaluated yet.

Knighton wasn't a scheme fit and the guy playing his position is looking pretty good.  Cox had the injury bug big time and Blackmon/Gratz are not any worse thus far (if Gratz can get back on the field.)

There's still time before the trade deadline and he said he'll answer the phone....  I wouldn't totally rule out another move. 

I don't really see anything  going on that would be considered "business as usual" besides the W/L column and it's too early in the makeover to pin that on Caldwell. 

Would you say that he's done fairly well with W.Blackmon, Alan Ball, SenDerrick Marks, and Clay Harbor as free agents?  Could you say that about Gene or Shack in one season? 

It's too early too know, but it looks like at least 4 of his draft picks have a future with the team as well.  I'm not worried yet. 

Quote:There was no (immediate) replacement for Cox either....

Yet we moved on. Should have done the same thing with Marcedes last offseason. The fact that he chose to continue with him, is something I disagree with Caldwell on. Its not a "scapegoat". 

Cox was a free agent...

You do realize that you're engaging in the very definition of soiling yourself on a message board, don't you?

Quote:What gives you that opinion?....

Is it the immediate starters that he found at those rounds in this years draft? And before you say Evans, he wasn't an immediate starter.
I said trade up to the 3rd for an immediate starter.  

from today:

“When you make a commitment to build through the draft, having as many picks as possible is a key,” Caldwell said. “It gives you a lot more flexibility in terms of what you can do in terms of trading up
and back.”

Quote:The one positive I see in all of this is the massive amount of picks we have next offseason combined with the cap space we have to use up, there's really NO reason we shouldn't be able to compete next year.

State the obvious take Teddy at one then with the next 9 picks we find a suitable RB,OG,DE,LB,C we can compete. Mix in maybe Alex Mack at C I don't see this as a 3 year project. We should see some payoffs in year 2. 

I really, really want the Jags to sign C Alex Mack....

The only thing I am unsure about would be the Zone Blocking scheme and how he fits into it. 

Also we'd have to hope that the Browns decide to let him walk/ not re-sign him before seasons end, and I can't really see why they would let a good young OL do so....

Quote:I said trade up to the 3rd for an immediate starter.  

from today:

“When you make a commitment to build through the draft, having as many picks as possible is a key,” Caldwell said. “It gives you a lot more flexibility in terms of what you can do in terms of trading up
and back.”

ok, misread it. Sorry. 

Quote:Cox was a free agent...

You do realize that you're engaging in the very definition of soiling yourself on a message board, don't you?

Whats the difference really? We let cox walk, and still had no immediate replacement. So....we wound up getting a replacement. Why are people acting as if that would have been a monumental task to do if we released Marcedes last offseason??? 

He's really not that good, people. 

Wonder who we would trade up for. Teddy is our 1st pick obviously, but perhaps we can package our 2nd and midround pick(s) to move up into the 1st

Quote:Wonder who we would trade up for. Teddy is our 1st pick obviously, but perhaps we can package our 2nd and midround pick(s) to move up into the 1st
someone that can actually sack a quarterback more than 4 times a season hopefully

Quote:OK.  I understand your concerns.  The jury is still out on the guy, of course, but I don't think these points are as so bad.  Obviously the coaching hire can't really be evalkuated yet.

Knoghton wasn't a scheme fit and the guy playing his position is looking pretty good.  Cox had the injury bug big time and Blackmon/Gratz are not any worse thus far (if Gratz can get back on the field.)

There's still time before the trade deadline and he said he'll answer the phone....  I wouldn't totally rule out another move. 

I don't really see anything  going on that would be considered "business as usual" besides the W/L column and it's too early in the makeover to pin that on Caldwell. 

Would you say that he's done fairly well with W.Blackmon, Alan Ball, SenDerrick Marks, and Clay Harbor as free agents?  Could you say that about Gene or Shack in one season? 

It's too early too know, but it looks like at least 4 of his draft picks have a future with the team as well.  I'm not worried yet. 

Yeah, I have liked some of the stuff Caldwell has done. Not going to lie about that...

I really don't have a good feeling about the Monroe deal though.....left a sour taste....I just think the entire handling of it was bungled - and "points were left on the field" to use a football analogy....

I also feel strongly about what I said about him not releasing Marcedes last offseason. 

I'll obviously give Caldwell more time....and I retract saying the Gene/ Shack thing....it was a heat of the moment comment. After cooler heads prevail, its far too early to say something like that. 

Quote:Whats the difference really? We let cox walk, and still had no immediate replacement. So....we wound up getting a replacement. Why are people acting as if that would have been a monumental task to do if we released Marcedes last offseason??? 

Dude, let it go.  None of us know why Caldwell kept him.  Maybe he thought with better tackle play Marcedes might have more opportunities in the passing game and figured it was worth finding out.  Maybe Marcedes has has incriminating photos of Caldwell.  We don't know why man.  Some of us are just willing to allow for the possibility that it's for a reason other than "Caldwell is bad".

In 3 years, we'll see if he's been good.  It won't be by second guessing his every decision while armed with practically no actual information to do so.

Quote:Whats the difference really? We let cox walk, and still had no immediate replacement. So....we wound up getting a replacement. Why are people acting as if that would have been a monumental task to do if we released Marcedes last offseason??? 

I seem to recall the team trying to resign him, just they apparently weren't willing to pay as much as the chargers.

Just paying whatever a guy wants isn't a receipe for success.

(This post was last modified: 10-03-2013, 05:48 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:I seem to recall the team trying to resign him, just they apparently weren't willing to pay as much as the chargers.

Just paying whatever a guy wants isn't a receipe for success.

that wasn't what I was suggesting to do...

Just illustrating that we let Cox go without an immediate replacement, and could have easily done the same with Marcedes. We'd have found a stop gap and it wouldn't have been too hard to find one to replicate the kind of bar Marcedes had set of recent years...just would have been much cheaper. 

Quote:that wasn't what I was suggesting to do...

Just illustrating that we let Cox go without an immediate replacement, and could have easily done the same with Marcedes. We'd have found a stop gap and it wouldn't have been too hard to find one to replicate the kind of bar Marcedes had set of recent years...just would have been much cheaper. 
The secondary is the most distinctive cog in Bradley's defensive wheel.   If you look at the roster - it's the one  position group that already is showing it's new identity a little bit.  

I questioned the Cox walking scenario too, but I like where it is headed.  I'm pleasantly surprised by Ball and Blackmon's levels of play and Gratz looked great for a rookie before he was hurt.  This McCray kid even looks like he'll be pretty strong with a bit more time. 

Quote:The one positive I see in all of this is the massive amount of picks we have next offseason combined with the cap space we have to use up, there's really NO reason we shouldn't be able to compete next year.

Yeah, 7 decent starters and a franchise QB in 2 drafts is a reasonable expectation. Wallbash

Quote:Just to be different, Bortles.

(This post was last modified: 10-03-2013, 06:14 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

Ian Rapoport ‏@<b>RapSheet</b> 1h

Was asked by @<b>lindsay_rhodes</b> if #<b>Browns</b> could actually be buyers: Turns out, they would've traded for Eugene Monroe if they had the chance

Man I don't see why didn't call a other teams to see what he could get!  Dont know if he would of got better but he should of tried.  Under if there was a under the table deal also?  Oh well I guess its over now time to move on.

Why would the Browns trade for Monroe when they have Joe Thomas?

Quote:Ian Rapoport ‏@<b>RapSheet</b> 1h

Was asked by @<b>lindsay_rhodes</b> if #<b>Browns</b> could actually be buyers: Turns out, they would've traded for Eugene Monroe if they had the chance

Man I don't see why didn't call a other teams to see what he could get!  Dont know if he would of got better but he should of tried.  Under if there was a under the table deal also?  Oh well I guess its over now time to move on.

because its not enough to just have one really good tackle nowadays you need both sides? idk whats going but man ozzie newsome is a boss.

so he's indicating that the Jags really didn't do much shopping of Monroe - 

See, I'll be flamed for being critical, but thats a bad job by Caldwell, if true. How are you supposed to drive the price up if not everyone knows he's available?

In 2012,   the Browns drafted RT Mitchell Schwartz in Round 2.     However,   the people that made the draft decision are no longer in the organization.      The Browns first round picks from 2012 are either playing with another team  (  Trent Richardson  )  or on the bench  (  Brandon Weeden ).      It's safe to assume that the current Browns regime strongly disagrees with many of the past decisions the Browns made before the current regime came onboard.