Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Monroe Traded

I think it could be the Browns are mad and just saying that.  They have Joe Thomas I dont think they would of gave up draft picks for Monroe

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Monroe deserved to go to a team like the Ravens over the Browns.

Quote:In 2012,   the Browns drafted RT Mitchell Schwartz in Round 2.     However,   the people that made the draft decision are no longer in the organization.      The Browns first round picks from 2012 are either playing with another team  (  Trent Richardson  )  or on the bench  (  Brandon Weeden ).      It's safe to assume that the current Browns regime strongly disagrees with many of the past decisions the Browns made before the current regime came onboard. 
Richardson was actually a good deal for them and Weeden is hurt and hasnt done much but Im sure they think Joe Thomas is the future, he is signed through 2019 anyway.  Monroe probably wouldnt of wanted to go to Cle. and play RT anyway.  I think Monroe wanted out and when a player wants out you have to send them where they want to go or you just lose out.

(This post was last modified: 10-03-2013, 06:34 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote: 

I think Monroe wanted out and when a player wants out you have to send them where they want to go or you just lose out.

wut???  :unsure: 

Quote:I think it could be the Browns are mad and just saying that.  They have Joe Thomas I dont think they would of gave up draft picks for Monroe

I'm not even sure if the report about being interested in Eugene Monroe is accurate.      Yet,  I'm confident that the Browns current team brass believes that the previous regimes made football decisions they strongly disagree about.    Assuming that they like Joe Thomas at LT,    it's realistic to conclude they want an upgrade at RT.

Quote:Yeah, 7 decent starters and a franchise QB in 2 drafts is a reasonable expectation. Wallbash

I didn't ask for 7 decent starters in the draft alone, I said suitable OG,C,LB,DE,RB between the remaining 9 picks and Free Agency. Read before you comment and you'll avoid confusion.

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

(This post was last modified: 10-03-2013, 06:39 PM by rollerjag.)

Quote:Whats the difference really? We let cox walk, and still had no immediate replacement. So....we wound up getting a replacement. Why are people acting as if that would have been a monumental task to do if we released Marcedes last offseason??? 

He's really not that good, people. 

Since you seem to be a fly on everyone's wall and so are certain of their options, desires and reasoning, can you confirm that Cox was interested in staying here, or if he received on offer?

If your answer is yes, you do know that would be a lie, no?

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 10-03-2013, 06:41 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:Since you seem to be a fly on everyone's wall and so are certain of their options, desires and reasoning, can you confirm that Cox was interested in staying here, or if he received on offer?

If your answer is yes, you do know that would be a lie, no?

once again.....not the point....only used Cox as an example of letting a player walk and finding a replacement....(for my Marcedes argument) 

try to keep up, rj...

Quote:Richardson was actually a good deal for them and Weeden is hurt and hasnt done much but Im sure they think Joe Thomas is the future, he is signed through 2019 anyway.  Monroe probably wouldnt of wanted to go to Cle. and play RT anyway.  I think Monroe wanted out and when a player wants out you have to send them where they want to go or you just lose out.

Even though Brandon Weeden is healthy enough now to play,   he apparently lost his job to an NFL journeyman.

I believe you are correct that the current Browns regime believes Joe Thomas is part of the solution.     If that's the case,    Thomas is more of the exception than the norm with players that the current regime inherited.      However,    I have serious doubts that the Browns current regime believes Mitchell Schwartz is part of the long term starting solution.

One thing I disagree with you on is being forced to comply with a player's trade request.    Even if Eugene Monroe wanted out of Jacksonville,   the only way the Jaguars should have traded him is if the decision was the best option for the team.     Unless proven otherwise,   I'll give Dave Caldwell the benefit of the doubt that he shopped Monroe around and then he decided that the Ravens offer was the best offer.  

Quote:I didn't ask for 7 decent starters in the draft alone, I said suitable OG,C,LB,DE,RB between the remaining 9 picks and Free Agency. Read before you comment and you'll avoid confusion.

Its still a massive expectation.

Also you now need to add RT to the list.

Quote:Just to be different, Bortles.

(This post was last modified: 10-03-2013, 06:48 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

Quote:wut???   :unsure:
You don't get what I just said?  If a player wants to leave most of the time they only have a few certain teams they want to go to.  If they dont trade them to those certain teams than they will just wait out the year and go where they want and then you get no picks.  Monroe probably wouldnt of went to Cle.  His wife is from Bal. and I bet Monroe told the front office thats where he wants to go.  You dont know what goes on behind closed doors.  Caldwell probably wouldnt come out and call him out on it because he wouldnt want to lose the trust of the other players.

Quote:Even though Brandon Weeden is healthy enough now to play, he apparently lost his job to an NFL journeyman.

I believe you are correct that the current Browns regime believes Joe Thomas is part of the solution. If that's the case, Thomas is more of the exception than the norm with players that the current regime inherited. However, I have serious doubts that the Browns current regime believes Mitchell Schwartz is part of the long term starting solution.

One thing I disagree with you on is being forced to comply with a player's trade request. Even if Eugene Monroe wanted out of Jacksonville, the only way the Jaguars should have traded him is if the decision was the best option for the team. Unless proven otherwise, I'll give Dave Caldwell the benefit of the doubt that he shopped Monroe around and then he decided that the Ravens offer was the best offer.

There's plenty of reports indicating otherwise.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:There was no (immediate) replacement for Cox either....

Yet we moved on. Should have done the same thing with Marcedes last offseason. The fact that he chose to continue with him, is something I disagree with Caldwell on. Its not a "scapegoat".

I posted to this earlier. This year was deep at defensive back. Hence the drafting of 5 of them. He felt CB and safety could be addressed via the draft.

Quote:There's plenty of reports indicating otherwise.

The question is how much validity do the reports have?   We have seen many times both in sports and elsewhere that what the media reports is often not accurate.    

Quote:I posted to this earlier. This year was deep at defensive back. Hence the drafting of 5 of them. He felt CB and safety could be addressed via the draft.

understood.....I just think finding a replacement for Marcedes would have been similarly easy enough to do, even if it was only a stop gap type. 

Actually Ball and Blackmon have been better this year than Cox this year for much cheaper and you dont have to worry about the Cox injury like every other year.

Quote:You don't get what I just said?  If a player wants to leave most of the time they only have a few certain teams they want to go to.  If they dont trade them to those certain teams than they will just wait out the year and go where they want and then you get no picks.  Monroe probably wouldnt of went to Cle.  His wife is from Bal. and I bet Monroe told the front office thats where he wants to go.  You dont know what goes on behind closed doors.  Caldwell probably wouldnt come out and call him out on it because he wouldnt want to lose the trust of the other players.

So, I seriously don't know where you got this idea, but the player doesn't really get any say in where they're traded. 

The only time something like that might come up is if the trade is untenable due to his contract or something, and the other team wants him to re-negotiate as part of the deal; then you would need the player to want to help make it happen.

If the team you're talking with is okay with inheriting the current player's contract, the player has jack all to say about it.

Quote:someone that can actually sack a quarterback more than 4 times a season hopefully

We're officially on "Where's Leo?" watch until we do.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(This post was last modified: 10-03-2013, 06:55 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

Quote:So, I seriously don't know where you got this idea, but the player doesn't really get any say in where they're traded. 

The only time something like that might come up is if the trade is untenable due to his contract or something, and the other team wants him to re-negotiate as part of the deal; then you would need the player to want to help make it happen.

If the team you're talking with is okay with inheriting the current player's contract, the player has jack all to say about it.
If a player says they don't want to play for a certain team why would that team want to trade for them?  They wouldn't 

Kinda like when Marshall wanted to play with Cutler

Eli wanted to play for NY

Quote: 

I think Monroe wanted out and when a player wants out you have to send them where they want to go or you just lose out.

Quote:wut???   :unsure:

Quote:You don't get what I just said?  If a player wants to leave most of the time they only have a few certain teams they want to go to.  If they dont trade them to those certain teams than they will just wait out the year and go where they want and then you get no picks.  Monroe probably wouldnt of went to Cle.  His wife is from Bal. and I bet Monroe told the front office thats where he wants to go.  You dont know what goes on behind closed doors.  Caldwell probably wouldnt come out and call him out on it because he wouldnt want to lose the trust of the other players.

see below

Quote: 

One thing I disagree with you on is being forced to comply with a player's trade request.    Even if Eugene Monroe wanted out of Jacksonville,   the only way the Jaguars should have traded him is if the decision was the best option for the team.