Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Is Blake Bortles ready to start?

(This post was last modified: 09-15-2014, 07:47 PM by dennisp3.)

Quote:You watched Bortles facing the blitz on just about every play in the preseason?  Really? 

IIRC, he was sacked on his first play from scrimmage vs. Detroit in the final preseason game.  He had multiple passes that SHOULD have been intercepted but weren't. 
 He also had multiple passes completions that Henne dreams of making. After the sack he showed no signs of it affecting his game. He may be able to improve his foot work on the sidelines but, developing timing with receivers and adjusting to the speed of the game can only come by starting games.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:The longer he waits, the better. Preferably a mid season start for him would be ideal. The offensive line is horrendous.

It's not going to get any better man. Sure, when we get Paztor back that should help, but other than that? There are only 2 players on the o-line I would say are a lock to be starting next year, and 1 of those 2 will be starting more so because of being a high draft pick than stellar play. The other 3 positions I think are still wide open. We could very well be looking at 3/5 new players along the o-line next year, and I would wager that at least 2 will be (high pick) rookies. We can't keep using the o-line as an excuse. Roethlisberger played behind a line that I think was actually worse than the line we have now, and he still kept the Steelers in the playoff hunt year in and year out. I think if Bortles starts, the line will continue to be horrendous, no doubt, but the sack totals will drastically decrease.

10 years ago we had Bob Hope, Johnny Cash, and Steve Jobs..... Please don't die, Kevin Bacon.

Quote:In a way it comes down to do you prefer sacks by your QB or interceptions by a young gun taking chances?

You are making no sense. Sacks are not done by quarterbacks. Defensive players are the sackers.

Every pass attempt by every quarterback is taking a chance. Age is irrelevant.

So let me get this straight , We don't know how good Bortles can be, We do know all we need to know about Henne , He can not convert on third down never has never will, and will strut to the bench in his smug little way and half hearted smile to show how discerning he is , I say it again, The Gus juice is starting to soar, Gus is preventing this fan base from celebrating the new era , By giving us the same old sorry sh[BAD WORD REMOVED]*  How many times is it one player that sparks a team, This team knows Henne leads not only too a loss but a miserable failure. This is the stuff that splits locker rooms

Quote:So let me get this straight , We don't know how good Bortles can be, We do know all we need to know about Henne , He can not convert on third down never has never will, and will strut to the bench in his smug little way and half hearted smile to show how discerning he is , I say it again, The Gus juice is starting to soar, Gus is preventing this fan base from celebrating the new era , By giving us the same old sorry sh[BAD WORD REMOVED]*  How many times is it one player that sparks a team, This team knows Henne leads not only too a loss but a miserable failure. This is the stuff that splits locker rooms

Did you ever see the letter C and four stars on Chad Henne's right shoulder? That means he is a leader in the locker room and still respected by his teammates. He is just not a good quarterback.

Quote:Did you ever see the letter C and four stars on Chad Henne's right shoulder? That means he is a leader in the locker room and still respected by his teammates. He is just not a good quarterback.

That means there were no other options when they took a vote because Blackmon's out getting stoned and Meester retired.

10 years ago we had Bob Hope, Johnny Cash, and Steve Jobs..... Please don't die, Kevin Bacon.

Quote:You are making no sense. Sacks are not done by quarterbacks. Defensive players are the sackers.

A QB that doesn't audible or adjust the line blocking based on what the D shows pre-snap has an affect on his likelihood of taking a sack...  So yeah, a QB can have an impact on his probability of getting sacked.

But you are right, most often it is the defender that tackles the QB.  But the QB can do some things to reduce his chances of getting sacked.

Quote:A QB that doesn't audible or adjust the line blocking based on what the D shows pre-snap has an affect on his likelihood of taking a sack...  So yeah, a QB can have an impact on his probability of getting sacked.

But you are right, most often it is the defender that tackles the QB.  But the QB can do some things to reduce his chances of getting sacked.

I was pointing out the quarterback is not the tackler, but the guy who gets tackled. Big difference. But you are right that sometimes it is the quarterback's fault.

after sunday I think we need a recount for captains , I was sure I saw plenty of give up on the field

Quote:I was pointing out the quarterback is not the tackler, but the guy who gets tackled. Big difference. But you are right that sometimes it is the quarterback's fault.

I think I understand what you were getting at.   Of course the primary cause of a sack is the defender, usually beating the person trying to block him.  I was just also saying that the QB can affect the situation as well.  :-)

Quote:I think I understand what you were getting at.   Of course the primary cause of a sack is the defender, usually beating the person trying to block him.  I was just also saying that the QB can affect the situation as well.  :-)

You have more patience with JW than most of us. Slow clap for you sir.

We can't put in Bortles, he might get tackled or throw an incomplete pass and be mentally ruined forever.
Make the Jags Great Again
Blake Bortles......YOU'RE FIRED!
Dave Caldwell.....YOU'RE FIRED!

He has been ready. The front office is trying to squeeze out this imaginary hidden talent that they believe he hasn't realized yet.

THERE IS A SKELETON INSIDE OF YOU.

RIGHT NOW. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

(This post was last modified: 09-15-2014, 08:53 PM by Byron LeftTown.)

Henne is the only player on offense playing NFL football.  Maybe Marcedes Lewis before he got hurt.  Everybody else has been a liability or wildly inconsistent.

The o-line play has to improve or we won't have any healthy QBs in a few weeks. 

Quote:The worst guy on the top rated offensive line in the league.  Let's put that into proper context. 

So is he now the top guy on the worst rated offensive line in the league?

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Quote:You are making no sense. Sacks are not done by quarterbacks. Defensive players are the sackers.

Then let me elaborate my point, do you rather a Qb that's going to hold onto the ball waiting for his guy to get open in which exposes him to more sacks or do you prefer a Qb that's going to sling it as he sees it that trusts his arm which opens the possibility for ints. That's what I think they're considering

Quote:Did you actually watch the game yesterday?  That line is horrible. 

No one disagrees that the line is bad, but is it REALLY a Jags record 10 sacks bad??

That's hard to believe.

Also, if the coaches know that the line is playing poorly and not giving Henne much time back there, why the heck don't they design a quick slant pass or a well designed screen pass to alleviate some of that pass rush against the weak line.

Design a play where Henne gets the ball out of his hands quickly. Can Henne complete a quick slant pass? Can he throw a screen pass? I have ruled out the short timing out b/c I know Henne is incapable of that one.

Something short has to be open, esp if they are rushing an extra man. Why can't our coaches draw up a quick pass play? Can Henne make an accurate short pass? It would have to be really accurate b/c there won't be much room in there

And why can't Henne change up his snap count to try to draw the aggressive pass rush offsides? Go quick count sometimes and then change it up to a longer count. Just change it up to keep the defense guessing.

I know Henne is limited in what he can do, but just how limited is he?

Start Henne = Draft Picks

He plays well (lol) and we trade him.

He plays the entire season and we get a king's ransom for Jameis or Mariota

Quote:What if Bortles started those two games?

It would be hard to imagine that BB could play any better than Henne did in the 1st quarter and a half against the Eagles.

It would be hard to imagine that BB could play any worse than Henne did after the 1st quarter and a half against the Eagles and all game against the Redskins.

Quote:Things that are REALLY alarming: Gus said the receivers and henne have trust issues. He also said they've already scaled the playbook back A LOT for the rookies.

Uh Oh, trust issues between the QB and receivers is a very very bad thing.