Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles Developing Faster than anticipated?

Quote:Yes, you should really jump the shark here because that's what people like you do.  Preemptive nonsense is just part of your repertoire. 

No, "preemptive" would mean there had been NO clamoring for Bortles to start from draft until now. There was a LOT of it immediately following the draft. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:was that aimed at you, specifically? Nope. 

Guilty conscience, I guess. 

You quoted me didn't you? Who cares who its aimed at, you throw insults around all the time, don't cry about it when people give it back. You're a big boy aren't you?

Also If you think I have ever clamored for Blake Bortels to start day one you must be functionally illiterate. Its not an insult, its an observation.

Just because some of the off-season trolls have gone away, doesn't mean you can slack my friend.

Quote:Just to be different, Bortles.

Quote:No, "preemptive" would mean there had been NO clamoring for Bortles to start from draft until now. There was a LOT of it immediately following the draft. 
Yet there hasn't been much of it at all recently, yet you still feel compelled to make a fool of yourself with the OMG and all the other cute little digs. 

I know you're going for the simplest possible responses to everything.  You think it makes you clever and funny.  Anyone laughing is doing so at you, not because of you. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote: 

Also If you think I have ever clamored for Blake Bortels to start day one you must be functionally illiterate. Its not an insult, its an observation.

...since I prefaced it with an "IIRC", perhaps I confused you for another poster. 

This season is gonna be a 16 game long training camp with Henne under center. Watching him last season sucked and it will this year too. If Geno Smith can start his first year Bortles should be able to as well. When Gus Bradley came in here he preached competition at every postion but shuts it down when it comes to the qb's no matter a good Bortles might look. Sounds like a hypocrite to me.

Quote:This season is gonna be a 16 game long training camp with Henne under center. Watching him last season sucked and it will this year too. If Geno Smith can start his first year Bortles should be able to as well. When Gus Bradley came in here he preached competition at every postion but shuts it down when it comes to the qb's no matter a good Bortles might look. Sounds like a hypocrite to me.

There is still competition going on with the QB position.  Bortles is competing with himself to get to the point where they deem him ready to assume the starting role.  There's no hypocrisy.  And using Geno Smith as the example we should be emulating?  Thanks for the laugh. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote:This season is gonna be a 16 game long training camp with Henne under center. Watching him last season sucked and it will this year too. If Geno Smith can start his first year Bortles should be able to as well. When Gus Bradley came in here he preached competition at every postion but shuts it down when it comes to the qb's no matter a good Bortles might look. Sounds like a hypocrite to me.

atta guy... 

I knew some of you were still out there. 

Quote:atta guy... 

Yawn.

Quote:There is still competition going on with the QB position.  Bortles is competing with himself to get to the point where they deem him ready to assume the starting role.  There's no hypocrisy.  And using Geno Smith as the example we should be emulating?  Thanks for the laugh.
Laugh all you want to cause I said nothing about emulating Geno Smith. Glad to brighten your day with whatever humor you got. If Bortles is emulating anybody it appears to be Henne; and even if he does he still wont start over him. And in that is where the hypocrisy lies because Gus did preach winning postion battles. If Bortles gets "to the point where they deem him ready to assume the starting role" before preseason is over do you think he will start?

Quote:atta guy... 

Where are the people who want the best quarterback supposed to go? Damn sure hope not on any side of an argument you're on because you don't know jack. You've been running off at the mouth for years on here, which is pathetic anyway making no sense.

Quote:Laugh all you want to cause I said nothing about emulating Geno Smith. Glad to brighten your day with whatever humor you got. If Bortles is emulating anybody it appears to be Henne; and even if he does he still wont start over him. And in that is where the hypocrisy lies because Gus did preach winning postion battles. If Bortles gets "to the point where they deem him ready to assume the starting role" before preseason is over do you think he will start?
Do you understand what the word "emulate" means? 

Your quote:

What's your point there again?  Did you actually SEE what Geno Smith did as a rookie?  He should be a cautionary tale. 

To answer your question, I don't think Bortles is going to prove he's ready to assume the starting role in the preseason, especially if he's spending most of his time on the field with the backups on both sides of the ball.  I know some here, like you, will immediately demand he start based on how he does against scrubs who won't be in the league a couple of weeks from now, but the coaches are smart enough to recognize progress, and to understand where he's at, and I don't think they'll be as easily swayed as someone of your ilk would be. 

There is a QB competition going on right now.  That's the point you really just can't seem to grasp.  Bortles is competing with himself to get to the point where the coaches are comfortable that he's ready to start.  He's not competing with Henne, but I wouldn't expect you to follow the logic here. 

Quote:Where are the people who want the best quarterback supposed to go? Damn sure hope not on any side of an argument you're on because you don't know jack. You've been running off at the mouth for years on here, which is pathetic anyway making no sense.

The people that are smart enough to realize that given all the fixing they are doing to Bortles' mechanics, that it is best to NOT rush him into the starting lineup also want the best QB in there....they just have perspective. They know that just because he's looking promising so far doesn't mean you go knee jerk and throw him to the wolves. Repetition is key right now for Bortles. The coaching staff doesn't want to put him into a situation where he will quickly revert back to his prior bad instincts. 

Quote:Where are the people who want the best quarterback supposed to go? Damn sure hope not on any side of an argument you're on because you don't know jack. You've been running off at the mouth for years on here, which is pathetic anyway making no sense.

And this rambling post made complete sense.

Geno Smith should have sat a year. He wasent ready and was terrible.

The mechanical issues Blake had coming out of UCF can’t be resolved in a few weeks at training camp, those type of issues typically take a long time as you're retraining your muscles. I don't think it matters if he looks better than Chad Henne right now, that's not the ultimate goal, he won't start until he has a firm grasp of the playbook (the reports indicate he's doing well in this area) and the mechanical issues have been cleaned up, considering these things, one can expect Blake to make starts later in the year.

Quote:The mechanical issues Blake had coming out of UCF can’t be resolved in a few weeks at training camp, those type of issues typically take a long time as you're retraining your muscles. I don't think it matters if he looks better than Chad Henne right now, that's not the ultimate goal, he won't start until he has a firm grasp of the playbook (the reports indicate he's doing well in this area) and the mechanical issues have been cleaned up, considering these things, one can expect Blake to make starts later in the year.
You're wasting your time on this one. 

Most here understand that even if he's looking good in the preseason against backups, there are still issues that he'll need to address.  Mechanics don't magically fix themselves in short order.  It's learned behavior he's dealt with his entire football career that they need him to relearn. These fixes need to be instinctual for him, and that's going to take time to develop.  He's getting the extra attention and extra reps as part of the process, but there's still a learning curve to be overcome. 

Quote:The people that are smart enough to realize that given all the fixing they are doing to Bortles' mechanics, that it is best to NOT rush him into the starting lineup also want the best QB in there....they just have perspective. They know that just because he's looking promising so far doesn't mean you go knee jerk and throw him to the wolves. Repetition is key right now for Bortles. The coaching staff doesn't want to put him into a situation where he will quickly revert back to his prior bad instincts. 

I agree completely.

The danger of reversion is particularly strong given the OL is being rebuilt completely from tackle to tackle and they will need time to gel.

While I don't envision Bortles taking a beating equal to Aikman in his rookie year going up against the Ryan era eagles, Parcells era Giants, Gibbs era Skins, et al, the OL is bad enough to where Bortles could end up taking a beating much worse than we want. Under duress in the heat of battle, he could revert to poor mechanics.

At minimum, I wouldn't want him in until the OL shows signs of cohesion.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:I agree completely.

The danger of reversion is particularly strong given the OL is being rebuilt completely from tackle to tackle and they will need time to gel.

While I don't envision Bortles taking a beating equal to Aikman in his rookie year going up against the Ryan era eagles, Parcells era Giants, Gibbs era Skins, et al, the OL is bad enough to where Bortles could end up taking a beating much worse than we want. Under duress in the heat of battle, he could revert to poor mechanics.

At minimum, I wouldn't want him in until the OL shows signs of cohesion.
Agreed.  Bortles ascension to the starting role will be as heavily dependent on the offensive line coming together as it is his own personal development.  I don't see Gus throwing him out there if the line is a train wreck.  If Henne is injured, and the line doesn't improve, we've got big problems. 

Quote:Agreed. Bortles ascension to the starting role will be as heavily dependent on the offensive line coming together as it is his own personal development. I don't see Gus throwing him out there if the line is a train wreck. If Henne is injured, and the line doesn't improve, we've got big problems.
I beleive Bradely said Bortles would start if Henne got hurt so let's hope Henne stays healthy. I wonder if that could back fire on him or if they don't have confidence in Stanzi to play second string?

I am a huge supporter of Bortles sitting however I'd love to see him completely beat out Henne in the preseason then have Gus still "keep to the plan". It would show me alot of growth from this coaching staff. There is a bigger play here that needs to develop. Many won't understand it but wise people will see it.