Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: How do you feel about the Baalke hire?
#becausejagurs
93% approval
Corn
Blank #2
Leftwich>Garrard
Bortles!
It hurts mama!
Superbowl
Going for #1 overall 3 years in a row
Urban Meyer just had 'health issues' and quit
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Official Baalke Confirmed as GM (merged)

(01-21-2021, 06:38 PM)JagFan81 Wrote:
(01-21-2021, 05:48 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: Per PFT it will be a joint decision on pick(s) between Urban and Baalke, with some input by Khan.

Yikes; we have been transported to the past with picks by committee ala Shack Harris and jack Del rio. That turned out well.

Were just a few bad GMs away from twitter polling our draft picks

That actually might be a good option.  Smile

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-21-2021, 04:24 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(01-21-2021, 01:55 PM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote: Actually I would like Caldwell. I think his drafts are actually better from the same time period as Baalke and I think he was a good evaluator of talent.

When you are drafting in the top 5 or top 10 every year, you tend to land better talent

Hey, we draft in the top 5 or 10 every year, where's our talent?
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(01-21-2021, 04:24 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(01-21-2021, 01:55 PM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote: Actually I would like Caldwell. I think his drafts are actually better from the same time period as Baalke and I think he was a good evaluator of talent.

When you are drafting in the top 5 or top 10 every year, you tend to land better talent

Exactly!  I hear some people saying that Caldwell wasn't a bad drafter and that his picks were "hit and miss".  When you have a bunch of top 5 picks, "hit and miss" isn't nearly good enough.  Those are "can't miss" picks.  When you pick that high, they should all be hits.  If not, at least 4 out of 5 should be hits.  Caldwell had picks at #2, #3, #3, #4 and #5 overall.  What did we get for them?  One is out of the league.  One is a third stringer who would be out of the league right now if it weren't for other players getting injured.  One is a backup.  One has shown flashes, but has been very up and down and has no pro-bowls through five years in the league.  Only one is clearly a hit from a playing perspective, but even that player had a major attitude problem and demanded to be traded from the team.  That's simply not good enough. I'm so glad Caldwell is gone.  I just wish we could have done better than Baalke.

I think Shad wants control of the player personnel because of the insults that were hurled at him and his family by some disgruntled players on Twitter. I think he wants the absolute control over those kinds of situations. As far as the team itself, who they draft, trade for, release etc... he's not going to interfere much with that.

(01-19-2021, 11:19 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: From BCC:

The connection between Baalke and Meyer dates back to Meyer’s time at Utah when he coached former 49ers quarterback Alex Smith. At the time of Smith’s selection, Baalke was the team’s western regional scout. The relationship between Meyer and Baalke will be important moving forward.
It has long been thought that Meyer would take on more responsibilities than that of a typical NFL head coach, making personnel decisions, and handpicking his own GM to help guide him through his first year at the professional level.

According to CBS Sports reporter, Jonathan Jones Meyer didn’t want to “bite more than he can chew” during year one, allowing Baalke to introduce him to the NFL before making a final decision after year one.

Should we gather Baalke is still the interim GM for another year?

Yep

(01-21-2021, 10:04 PM)Emplehdog Wrote: I think Shad wants control of the player personnel because of the insults that were hurled at him and his family by some disgruntled players on Twitter. I think he wants the absolute control over those kinds of situations. As far as the team itself, who they draft, trade for, release etc... he's not going to interfere much with that.

[Image: tenor.gif]

https://sports.yahoo.com/trent-baalke-no...02087.html

Baalke on No. 1 pick: There are no easy decisions in the NFL

AARGH!!!!

Bad Baalke, Bad! (smacks Baalke on the nose with rolled up newspaper)

We have an easy decision with #1 pick.

Don't try to prove you're smarter than everyone else. Just nod and say, "Trent Lawrence".

Now get back in your crate and shuffle papers, where you belong.
[Image: badbaalke.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 01-22-2021, 10:33 AM by Brett.)

(01-22-2021, 10:32 AM)Sibelius Wrote: https://sports.yahoo.com/trent-baalke-no...02087.html

AARGH!!!!

Don't try to prove you're smarter than everyone else. Just nod and say, "Trent Lawrence".

This isn't unusual. He just isn't playing his cards yet although we all know what will happen.

(01-22-2021, 10:33 AM)Brett Wrote:
(01-22-2021, 10:32 AM)Sibelius Wrote: https://sports.yahoo.com/trent-baalke-no...02087.html

AARGH!!!!

Don't try to prove you're smarter than everyone else.  Just nod and say,  "Trent Lawrence".

This isn't unusual. He just isn't playing his cards yet although we all know what will happen.

You're probably right. With his record though, I'm less inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt.
[Image: badbaalke.jpg]

(01-22-2021, 10:33 AM)Brett Wrote:

AARGH!!!!

Don't try to prove you're smarter than everyone else.  Just nod and say,  "Trent Lawrence".

I don't get the 'tipping his hand' comment.  Unless they are not definitely going to draft him, they can sign him before the draft...unless something has changed that I don't know about.  What is gained by not tipping your hand?

If they DON'T draft Lawrence I won't be going out of my way to watch them anymore, which will be easy since I moved out of state.  I have not seen ANYONE that doesn't think Lawrence should be the overall #1 pick.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

If Baalke picks anyone but Trevor Lawrence, we'll be the laughing stock of the NFL for the next.. however long Lawrence's career lasts.

What if Lawrence suddenly has some medical red flags found out before the draft. Not saying Trevor isn’t clearly the #1 pick, but you never know what they could find medically between now and then. That would i think be the only reason you dont just say we are Taking Trevor st this point in time.
[img]blob:https://www.duvalpride.com/1a8a2498-9833-4b7d-8cc7-5e45aa36d9f6[/img][img=648x560]blob:https://www.duvalpride.com/cfd7a344-8206-4fed-a4c4-6536e150b1a7[/img]

I'm fine with baalke. I may be in the minority but I believe people learn from past mistakes.

Also, if Lawrence is what we hope he is, all this worry will be for nothing, because the NFL now is all about if you have a good QB. All these coaches and coordinators yall sweating look good because they have good QBs.

Andy Reid and Belichick look good because they had QBs. Reid was receiving heavy criticism before Mahomes.

(01-23-2021, 12:27 AM)Mandeezee Wrote: I'm fine with baalke. I may be in the minority but I believe some people learn from past mistakes.

Also, if Lawrence is what we hope he is, all this worry will be for nothing, because the NFL now is all about if you have a good QB. All these coaches and coordinators yall sweating look good because they have good QBs.

Andy Reid and Belichick look good because they had QBs. Reid was receiving heavy criticism before Mahomes.

FIFY.

I don't know if Baalke is that kind of guy but I honestly doubt it.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

I wanted Martin Mayhew as the Jags GM, he is now with Washington football team.

Now I can watch both Baalke and Mayhews career side by side and see how they do.
LOVE THEM JAGUARS!

(01-23-2021, 12:27 AM)Mandeezee Wrote: I'm fine with baalke. I may be in the minority but I believe people learn from past mistakes.

No, Andy Reid was not.  He has been a consistently great coach his entire career.  The Philly media killed him sometimes but they're generally ignorant.  Outside of their one SB, they have been worse off without him.

Favre
McNabb
Garcia
Kolb
Vick
Smith
Mahomes

(01-23-2021, 05:16 PM)JaguarKick Wrote:
(01-23-2021, 12:27 AM)Mandeezee Wrote: I'm fine with baalke. I may be in the minority but I believe people learn from past mistakes.

No, Andy Reid was not.  He has been a consistently great coach his entire career.  The Philly media killed him sometimes but they're generally ignorant.  Outside of their one SB, they have been worse off without him.

Favre
McNabb
Garcia
Kolb
Vick
Smith
Mahomes

I can be wrong, but I seem to remember his offenses being criticized for not running the ball enough. Stuff like, "He'll never win a SB, blah blah".

Until Mahomes...he was seen as an offensive minded coach who couldn't get over the hump.

(01-24-2021, 01:05 AM)Mandeezee Wrote:
(01-23-2021, 05:16 PM)JaguarKick Wrote: No, Andy Reid was not.  He has been a consistently great coach his entire career.  The Philly media killed him sometimes but they're generally ignorant.  Outside of their one SB, they have been worse off without him.

Favre
McNabb
Garcia
Kolb
Vick
Smith
Mahomes

I can be wrong, but I seem to remember his offenses being criticized for not running the ball enough. Stuff like, "He'll never win a SB, blah blah".

Until Mahomes...he was seen as an offensive minded coach who couldn't get over the hump.

Well, he hosted the NFC Championship three consecutive years in Philly and has only had 3 losing seasons his entire career.  Seems pretty solid.

The greatest mistake ever made by the previous regime was picking the Bobblehead over Andy Reid to lead this franchise.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(01-24-2021, 03:50 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: The greatest mistake ever made by the previous regime was picking the Bobblehead over Andy Reid to lead this franchise.

Sorry, but that pales in comparison to taking Fournette instead of Mahommes in 2017.