Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
A 'clown' party at the game Sunday?

(01-08-2022, 10:33 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(01-08-2022, 10:30 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Over/Under on Khan driving that same narrative here in a few years?

I think we might be in a unique situation, where a franchise owner kills the fan support for his own team, and that is used as justification for moving to another city.  

Just like the movie, only maybe not intentional.  One interesting question is, if he kills fan support will that also kill political support for the stadium renovations?  

I think the other owners would approve the move, because they want to move the team regardless of the fan support in Jacksonville.

Yeah it wouldn't be the lack of fan support itself that moves the team, but he could kill any fire the city has for the team so that they won't kick in the giant amount of taxpayer dollars that Shad will demand to renovate or build a new stadium. Then we're in a St. Louis situation and he moves the team. It was a conspiracy theory for years and years to mention that could be Shad's end game, but damn if he sure isn't acting like that is what he is trying to do.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-08-2022, 10:55 AM)Upper Wrote:
(01-08-2022, 10:33 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I think we might be in a unique situation, where a franchise owner kills the fan support for his own team, and that is used as justification for moving to another city.  

Just like the movie, only maybe not intentional.  One interesting question is, if he kills fan support will that also kill political support for the stadium renovations?  

I think the other owners would approve the move, because they want to move the team regardless of the fan support in Jacksonville.

Yeah it wouldn't be the lack of fan support itself that moves the team, but he could kill any fire the city has for the team so that they won't kick in the giant amount of taxpayer dollars that Shad will demand to renovate or build a new stadium. Then we're in a St. Louis situation and he moves the team. It was a conspiracy theory for years and years to mention that could be Shad's end game, but damn if he sure isn't acting like that is what he is trying to do.

Sure looks like the Jaguars and Jacksonville are heading for a divorce.  I'll survive.

(01-08-2022, 09:13 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I will be at the game, although not in clown regalia.  It almost feels like the end of something.  I was at the very first game, hundreds of games after that, and I will be at this game Sunday.  Maybe my last game.  It feels like the franchise is dying.

It all has a different tone to it now, doesn't it? There's a rumbling undercurrent of deep resentment never seen before. It's not just about a team. It's about a team with our city's name on it that represents us with not merely unsuccessful results, but relentlessly mocking, disastrous yields.

(This post was last modified: 01-08-2022, 11:35 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 2 times in total.)

Article by John Shipley:

https://www.si.com/nfl/jaguars/duval-ins...e-in-logic

This is a general manager whose greatest asset isn't his ability to scout or his shrewd negotiations in trades and free agency -- the last two offseasons in Jacksonville have shown us that as the Jaguars have whiffed in drafts (CJ Henderson, K'Lavon Chaisson), been had in trades, and have misplayed all leverage in free agency.

Instead, Baalke's best trait is his ability to survive. He deserves credit for it, too. He is the ultimate last man standing, making it through the Harbaugh era before landing in Jacksonville and turning a Director of Pro Personnel gig into an interim general manager role and, eventually, the full-time general manager role. 

But Jacksonville is a fan base and franchise that deserves so much more than a silver-tongued general manager who is better at convincing owners of his ability than he is at actually constructing a roster. They deserve a hard reset of 2021 and 2020, the worst two-year stretch in the history of a franchise that very rarely has anything but bad years. 

(01-08-2022, 11:33 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Article by John Shipley:

This is a general manager whose greatest asset isn't his ability to scout or his shrewd negotiations in trades and free agency -- the last two offseasons in Jacksonville have shown us that as the Jaguars have whiffed in drafts (CJ Henderson, K'Lavon Chaisson), been had in trades, and have misplayed all leverage in free agency.

Instead, Baalke's best trait is his ability to survive. He deserves credit for it, too. He is the ultimate last man standing, making it through the Harbaugh era before landing in Jacksonville and turning a Director of Pro Personnel gig into an interim general manager role and, eventually, the full-time general manager role. 

But Jacksonville is a fan base and franchise that deserves so much more than a silver-tongued general manager who is better at convincing owners of his ability than he is at actually constructing a roster. They deserve a hard reset of 2021 and 2020, the worst two-year stretch in the history of a franchise that very rarely has anything but bad years. 

Good read. Here's to Sunday I guess.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(01-08-2022, 10:55 AM)Upper Wrote:
(01-08-2022, 10:33 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I think we might be in a unique situation, where a franchise owner kills the fan support for his own team, and that is used as justification for moving to another city.  

Never attribute to malice what can be easily explained by incompetence

(01-08-2022, 11:33 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Article by John Shipley:

The article is deservedly scathing.

(01-08-2022, 11:18 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(01-08-2022, 10:55 AM)Upper Wrote: Yeah it wouldn't be the lack of fan support itself that moves the team, but he could kill any fire the city has for the team so that they won't kick in the giant amount of taxpayer dollars that Shad will demand to renovate or build a new stadium. Then we're in a St. Louis situation and he moves the team. It was a conspiracy theory for years and years to mention that could be Shad's end game, but damn if he sure isn't acting like that is what he is trying to do.

Sure looks like the Jaguars and Jacksonville are heading for a divorce.  I'll survive.

Pretty much. As I totter on into middle age….I find myself focusing on more important things. Football is just a game, and if the team moves….oh well.

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

(01-08-2022, 11:18 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(01-08-2022, 10:55 AM)Upper Wrote: Yeah it wouldn't be the lack of fan support itself that moves the team, but he could kill any fire the city has for the team so that they won't kick in the giant amount of taxpayer dollars that Shad will demand to renovate or build a new stadium. Then we're in a St. Louis situation and he moves the team. It was a conspiracy theory for years and years to mention that could be Shad's end game, but damn if he sure isn't acting like that is what he is trying to do.

Who is going to be want them? The most dysfunctional franchise in the NFL.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(01-08-2022, 02:10 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote:
(01-08-2022, 11:18 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Sure looks like the Jaguars and Jacksonville are heading for a divorce.  I'll survive.

Who is going to be want them? The most dysfunctional franchise in the NFL.

Are you serious?  Who is going to want them?  I can think of many that would want them to move to their city.  Wake up....the owner will sell the team and the team will move to another city and then you clowns can put your clown suits on and walk around impressing the citizens of Jacksonville.

All of this talk about the team leaving is unfounded and premature. There is no doubt fan discontent is at an all-time high, but we simply don't know what the future plans are for GM and HC. Lots of rumors and angry speculation, but nothing factual. While there is little in the past (he did fire Meyer) to indicate anything but bad decisions, let's wait and see before we start throwing the big D word around.

(01-08-2022, 02:50 PM)jagman Wrote:
(01-08-2022, 02:10 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: Who is going to be want them? The most dysfunctional franchise in the NFL.

Are you serious?  Who is going to want them?  I can think of many that would want them to move to their city.  Wake up....the owner will sell the team and the team will move to another city and then you clowns can put your clown suits on and walk around impressing the citizens of Jacksonville.

I no longer live in Jacksonville so I don't care about moving. The new city would be initially excited then complain and be miserable like most of us soon after.

(This post was last modified: 01-08-2022, 07:05 PM by Sibelius.)

(01-08-2022, 09:43 AM)Jagulars Wrote: Plot twist: The NFL has hired a couple hundred clowns to attend the game Sunday. Along with 30-40 Jaguar fans who will actually do it. They want this clown show as much as the fans do.

That would be cool.

(01-08-2022, 09:23 AM)jagherd Wrote: I guess maybe the Clown Out could fall into the "any media exposure is good media exposure" category?

Clown Out might finally get the Jags some mention on prime national sports TV for once this season.

Idk man

I don't think that will be how Khan sees it, especially when the clown graphics are all wearing cheesy handle bar moustaches.
[Image: badbaalke.jpg]

(01-07-2022, 09:25 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(01-07-2022, 08:44 PM)Sibelius Wrote: This protest isn't against the players so it's not disrespectful at all. It's about Baalke and Khan's poor decisions. 

Actually, I imagine the players are pretty frustrated and they might think it's pretty funny.

Honestly I doubt many of the players even know much about it. Myles Jack didn't really have any clue about it until his press conference yesterday.

The majority of them would probably agree with it if they know about it. Jack sure didn't jump to defend Baalke yesterday. He had to fight off laughter. Would love to hear his real thoughts on the matter. I'd be willing to bet his thoughts are very similar to the fan's.

One thing that can't be over looked is the fact that there hasn't been a single person who has stepped up to defend Baalke. Nobody on this team. Nobody in the media. Nobody around the league. Not a single person has come to his defense and that's very telling. Nobody likes the dude.

That's a great point. I haven't heard anyone come out and defend Baalke. And national news stories are talking about how he has a bad reputation throughout the league. He utterly destroyed the 49ers several years ago, and he's doing the same thing here. We're hearing reports that prospective coaches don't want to come here if he's here. 

And Khan still insists on keeping him.

I just don't get it, I truly don't. 

I'm in Dallas and I've watched a stubborn, arrogant owner in Jerry Jones almost constantly here. But I don't think even his obstinance or poor judgement comes close to Khan's.

The Jaguars organization is it's own clown show, and retaining Baalke is a horrible decision no matter how you slice it. Hire a consultant like Tony Dungy or something to bring in a new GM and HC.

(01-08-2022, 07:11 PM)Sibelius Wrote:
(01-07-2022, 09:25 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Honestly I doubt many of the players even know much about it. Myles Jack didn't really have any clue about it until his press conference yesterday.

The majority of them would probably agree with it if they know about it. Jack sure didn't jump to defend Baalke yesterday. He had to fight off laughter. Would love to hear his real thoughts on the matter. I'd be willing to bet his thoughts are very similar to the fan's.

One thing that can't be over looked is the fact that there hasn't been a single person who has stepped up to defend Baalke. Nobody on this team. Nobody in the media. Nobody around the league. Not a single person has come to his defense and that's very telling. Nobody likes the dude.

That's a great point. I haven't heard anyone come out and defend Baalke. And national news stories are talking about how he has a bad reputation throughout the league. He utterly destroyed the 49ers several years ago, and he's doing the same thing here. We're hearing reports that prospective coaches don't want to come here if he's here. 

And Khan still insists on keeping him.

I just don't get it, I truly don't. 

I'm in Dallas and I've watched a stubborn, arrogant owner in Jerry Jones almost constantly here. But I don't think even his obstinance or poor judgement comes close to Khan's.

The difference is Jerry, while stubborn and hard headed at times, he's all about that franchise. Win or lose, he's all in, even to a fault sometimes.

Khan treats this franchise like a fun little side project that's making him a lot of money. Hes already cashed in, win or lose. He purchased the Jags for $760 million. The franchise is currently worth $2.8 Billion. This team has been piss poor for basically the entire 10 years hes owned the team, yet his pockets keep getting bigger despite the losing.

Hilarious, Over at reddit a user there got the url Klown.com and it goes directly to the Jaguars website!

(01-08-2022, 10:05 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: Hilarious,  Over at reddit a user there got the url  Klown.com and it goes directly to the Jaguars website!

love it!

Good luck and have fun at the dress-up game to those going. Much more creative than paper bags the other team fans have worn. Guess it is all part of the new improved game experience
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(This post was last modified: 01-09-2022, 03:25 AM by mal234. Edited 1 time in total.)

I don't care for this plan of some Jags fans. I don't think it will reflect on Jags fans favorably. Most people that aren't Jags fans including people in the media, don't dislike Shad Khan. He's not someone like Donald Sterling or Jerry Richardson who had some bad reports written about him when he was owner of the Panthers.  I don't think that the media will use this Khan out of whatever it's being called as a way to heavily criticize Khan. I think that they either like or at worst are neutral on him. 

If anything, they will use this to continue to talk badly about the organization and possibly poke more at the fans. And I don't know if this will move the needle too much regarding Trent Baalke. I think that Khan is going to do what he wants to do with him regardless.

It's not like with Urban where he was tied to scandals which gave Khan really easy outs to get rid of him. Plus, I think that the thing that a lot of fans are really upset about but won't admit is that Trevor's play has really disappointed them. I think that is what is really bothering people. If Trevor had looked better this season and had better individual stats (not even necessarily wins), I don't think this Khan/Klown act whatever you want to call it would be happening. But people want to direct their frustration about that onto Khan, and Baalke after trying to blame Urban for a lot of it when he was coach and also constantly blaming the other players for a lot of things as well. I think that people are trying to disguise their frustration about Trevor in this "event".