Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Week 2 talk: KC vs Jax

(This post was last modified: 09-15-2023, 10:39 AM by Jag149.)

I have been thinking about why the team would even announce Press Taylor calling plays? Only reason I can really see is a bit of gamesmanship between the teams. Both teams want this game badly, so what better way to get into the opposition's head just a bit ? Gotta make them think, now who do we think is calling this play? ...:}
A new broom always sweeps clean.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(09-15-2023, 10:39 AM)Jag149 Wrote: I have been thinking about why the team would even announce  Press Taylor calling plays?  Only reason I can really see is a bit of gamesmanship between the teams.  Both teams want this game badly, so what better way to get into the opposition's  head just a bit ? Gotta make them think, now who do we think is calling this play?  ...:}
I think it has more to do with setting Press up to be a HC next season.

(09-15-2023, 10:40 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(09-15-2023, 10:39 AM)Jag149 Wrote: I have been thinking about why the team would even announce  Press Taylor calling plays?  Only reason I can really see is a bit of gamesmanship between the teams.  Both teams want this game badly, so what better way to get into the opposition's  head just a bit ? Gotta make them think, now who do we think is calling this play?  ...:}

So a twofer.

Agree. I heard Pederson say something to that effect along the lines of ‘setting him up for future success’. Something like that.

We are waayyy more worried about this game than the Chiefs.

Pretty sure Pederson was asked about it because it had leaked to local reporters that Press called lots of 2nd halves last season. 

If he wasn't directly asked at a presser - he may have known about the leak and headed off the question with the announcement.

Doug is definitely the kind of guy to give his assistants a leg up in the biz, but he's also in control of his ship.
I still feel like it's basically a non-story, but folks sure love to get riled up about it. 

This staff is pretty transparent about lots of things - and this is the sort of thing that would come out eventually anyway. May as well put it out there if he's giving his guy a chance.

INJURY UPDATE

https://x.com/Demetrius82/status/1702692...37564?s=20

Demetrius Harvey
@Demetrius82
·
9m
#Jaguars HC Doug Pederson on injuries says that Brandon Scherff and Luke Fortner will play and start Sunday vs. Chiefs.

Both dealing with ankle injuries, but good to go.

(09-15-2023, 10:45 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:

Pretty sure Pederson was asked about it because it had leaked to local reporters that Press called lots of 2nd halves last season. 

If he wasn't directly asked at a presser - he may have known about the leak and headed off the question with the announcement.

Doug is definitely the kind of guy to give his assistants a leg up in the biz, but he's also in control of his ship.
I still feel like it's basically a non-story, but folks sure love to get riled up about it. 

This staff is pretty transparent about lots of things - and this is the sort of thing that would come out eventually anyway. May as well put it out there if he's giving his guy a chance.

INJURY UPDATE

https://x.com/Demetrius82/status/1702692...37564?s=20

Demetrius Harvey
@Demetrius82
·
9m
#Jaguars HC Doug Pederson on injuries says that Brandon Scherff and Luke Fortner will play and start Sunday vs. Chiefs.

Both dealing with ankle injuries, but good to go.

yea, I got a text yesterday they practiced but were limited.

Spagnoulo will send it with the blitzes in this game.

Hope we have a quick check down available on most pass plays called on 2nd or 3rd down, and the ability to alert to them for a rapid dump off when Spags sends the house.

(09-15-2023, 11:29 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Spagnoulo will send it with the blitzes in this game.

Hope we have a quick check down available on most pass plays called on 2nd or 3rd down, and the ability to alert to them for a rapid dump off when Spags sends the house.

I think we need to establish a running game somehow. Just to counterattack this very thing. Would like to see more of a tighter formation along the line with Engram, Strange and Farrell. Would also like to see them get into a split backfield look out of the shotgun with Etienne on one side and Bigsby/Johnson working on the other side. 

They're going to have to compensate for how piss poor this interior is and they're going to have to bait their blitzes into thinking it's easy with Lawrence having the balls to hang in the pocket and face it and take a shot deep. There's going to be at least four to six opportunities I feel in this game to take a shot deep. 

Have to hit on those.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Per PFT, Pederson said Kirk should get more involved this game; he explained the colts played a lot of zone, but chiefs play man and that Kirk does better again man coverages

(This post was last modified: 09-15-2023, 12:03 PM by Caldrac. Edited 1 time in total.)

(09-15-2023, 11:48 AM)SamusAranX Wrote: Per PFT, Pederson said Kirk should get more involved this game; he explained the colts played a lot of zone, but chiefs play man and that Kirk does better again man coverages

Yep. This is why I think we'll have at least 4 - 6 deep shot opportunities. They ran a few rub routes last year with Kirk and it worked out well. They would split him out wide in a double stack formation and either Agnew or Jones would run an in or out route to create a natural rub or "pick" play to get him open down the sideline. 

We'll probably see a variation of this on Sunday. Ideally I would like to see him and Ridley stacked on one side because that just sounds like a nightmare for two defenders to figure out. I still think we're going to have to earn our hey from the backfield. Would like to see a combination backfield with Bigsby/Johnson and Etienne.

If you're going to struggle in pass protection you're going to want to line your best skill players up out there at the same time to get open quickly or misdirect the hell out of somebody. They're going to blitz as much as they can but you're going to have to make them second guess it or pay for it sooner rather than later and this is the only way in doing so. 

I wouldn't even bother with a screen game in this. They looked out of sync doing it against the clots last Sunday. Just stick to the quick timing routes, ball in and out of Lawrence's hands. We can do this.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

I think Strange earns his paycheck this game.

(09-15-2023, 12:06 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I think Strange earns his paycheck this game.

Yep. Needs to body a few defenders this Sunday.

(09-15-2023, 08:38 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: This is going to be an offensive duel. Jeff Lageman predicts over a 70-point game. I agree.

70-0 Duval sounds fine with me!

(09-15-2023, 08:31 AM)Jag149 Wrote: KC is not desparate. What they do not want is to fall 2 1/2 games behind the Jags.  They took a risk last week holding Kelce out so he could play against the Jags.

They also found out they NEED Chris Jones on defense this week so they pushed a deal through.  Their worst nightmare is a comfortable TL standing in the pocket with these receivers running around downfield.

I think there's way too much being read into the comment about KC being desperate for a win. The idea that teams feel the same sense of purpose and motivation regardless of the context of a game is true in theory but in reality, the players and staff are human beings and they WILL look at this game differently than they would if they'd won in week 1 and the Jags had lost. If they go 0-2, will they pack it in and go home? Of course not, but the thought of losing to two teams who they probably feel they're better than will be a motivating factor.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

HC or independent OC, as Bienemy did with the Redacteds after years under Reid's shadow

(09-15-2023, 11:40 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(09-15-2023, 11:29 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Spagnoulo will send it with the blitzes in this game.

I think we need to establish a running game somehow. Just to counterattack this very thing. Would like to see more of a tighter formation along the line with Engram, Strange and Farrell. Would also like to see them get into a split backfield look out of the shotgun with Etienne on one side and Bigsby/Johnson working on the other side. 

They're going to have to compensate for how piss poor this interior is and they're going to have to bait their blitzes into thinking it's easy with Lawrence having the balls to hang in the pocket and face it and take a shot deep. There's going to be at least four to six opportunities I feel in this game to take a shot deep. 

Have to hit on those.

Oh yeah, death by strangulation, run run run, eat up that TOP. Keep Mahomes & Co. off the field, limit their chances to make the game a high scoring affair.

Kinda a catch-22, as I think the RBs will be the stars of the day, whether that means they are establishing a ground-and-pound run game kind of day or sticking around to chip block on the deep routes. Either way, if they stink at their job, we're in for a long afternoon.

I might favor the vet Hasty over Tank this week as our #2 option just for that added help of reading the pass rush and knowing where and how to help keep the play out of calamity.

(09-15-2023, 01:05 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(09-15-2023, 11:40 AM)Caldrac Wrote: I think we need to establish a running game somehow. Just to counterattack this very thing. Would like to see more of a tighter formation along the line with Engram, Strange and Farrell. Would also like to see them get into a split backfield look out of the shotgun with Etienne on one side and Bigsby/Johnson working on the other side. 

Have to hit on those.

Oh yeah, death by strangulation, run run run, eat up that TOP. Keep Mahomes & Co. off the field, limit their chances to make the game a high scoring affair.

Kinda a catch-22, as I think the RBs will be the stars of the day, whether that means they are establishing a ground-and-pound run game kind of day or sticking around to chip block on the deep routes. Either way, if they stink at their job, we're in for a long afternoon.

I might favor the vet Hasty over Tank this week as our #2 option just for that added help of reading the pass rush and knowing where and how to help keep the play out of calamity.

Agreed on Hasty. I keep forgetting they kept him this year.

Kelce and Jones are set to play.

Gear up folks. Gonna be a doozy.

Junior and Johnson are both out. It's going to be Kelce vs. Herndon and Lloyd again. We've seen this movie before.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(09-15-2023, 03:38 PM)mikesez Wrote: Junior and Johnson are both out.  It's going to be Kelce vs. Herndon and Lloyd again.  We've seen this movie before.

Hoping it is not a rerun of the same movie