Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Manziel

Quote:Anyone think if Gene was still GM other than us going winless last year that.....  we would have Manziel.
He's not the GM.  It's okay to let it go.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:On a serious note I hope no one actually believes that Manziel would knowingly put himself in position to appear to be in the midst of doing illegal drugs after going on a rant saying:

This little stunt looks like troll bait to me more than anything.

It's possible Manziel just isn't that bright, so he doesn't even realize he's putting himself into a situation where he might appear to be doing drugs.  The picture making the rounds, and the fact that he's hanging out with Bieber of all people should be enough of a concern for the league to go ahead and set him up for a test.  That'll put to rest whether he's involved in anything more than being an idiot.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:He's not the GM.  It's okay to let it go.
Just a fun passing comment really.  I'm glad he isn't the GM.  Maybe just chiming in because I was overly supportive of his time here.  It is okay to have fun.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Quote:Anyone think if Gene was still GM other than us going winless last year that.....  we would have Manziel.

Quote:Just a fun passing comment really.  I'm glad he isn't the GM.  Maybe just chiming in because I was overly supportive of his time here.  It is okay to have fun.

I don't really get the joke though.  Why would we expect clean Gene to draft Manziel?

Quote:I don't really get the joke though.  Why would we expect clean Gene to draft Manziel?

He drafted JB did he not?  But too long on this derailment.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Quote:He drafted JB did he not?  But too long on this derailment.

JB was considered a pretty high character guy when Gene drafted him.  Manziel's personality completely clashes with Gene Smith and his "married choir boy" reputation.  Gene Smith drafting Blackmon had nothing to do with poor judgement. You can never predict a career path like that.  It's more random than trying to predict an injury.  

As for Manziel, I know some aren't liking his antics right now and are glad we didn't draft him because of that.  That's cool.  But, remember, he hasn't broken any rules or laws nor played a single down in the NFL.

Quote:JB was considered a pretty high character guy when Gene drafted him. 

[Image: lolwut.jpg]

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:It's possible Manziel just isn't that bright, so he doesn't even realize he's putting himself into a situation where he might appear to be doing drugs.  The picture making the rounds, and the fact that he's hanging out with Bieber of all people should be enough of a concern for the league to go ahead and set him up for a test.  That'll put to rest whether he's involved in anything more than being an idiot.

I assume you're kidding.

I know the NFL is all powerful, but I think the NFLPA would have a problem with someone being tested without a previous infraction.

The NFL WAY - guilty until proven innocent.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Quote:[Image: lolwut.jpg]

I don't rewrite history. NOBODY was concerned with his past arrest or his character. He had that humble Gene Smith personality, at least that's how it came across. If he had any kind of bad rep whatsoever, I certainly don't remember it.

Quote:I assume you're kidding.

I know the NFL is all powerful, but I think the NFLPA would have a problem with someone being tested without a previous infraction.

The NFL WAY - guilty until proven innocent.

If Manziel does on the field what I expect him to do, much respect to him for orchestrating all this madness.

Quote:It's possible Manziel just isn't that bright, so he doesn't even realize he's putting himself into a situation where he might appear to be doing drugs.  The picture making the rounds, and the fact that he's hanging out with Bieber of all people should be enough of a concern for the league to go ahead and set him up for a test.  That'll put to rest whether he's involved in anything more than being an idiot.
Unless he is already in the program, they can't give him "random" drug tests.

That would be a violation of the NFL drug policy.

Quote:I don't rewrite history. NOBODY was concerned with his past arrest or his character. He had that humble Gene Smith personality, at least that's how it came across. If he had any kind of bad rep whatsoever, I certainly don't remember it.

There were discussions on this board leading up to the draft with most wanting him but many assuming that Smith wouldn't take him because of the character issues. 

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:There were discussions on this board leading up to the draft with most wanting him but many assuming that Smith wouldn't take him because of the character issues. 

There was a bit of this.  But as far as I remember, the talk was more that we were out of position to draft him, and after him there was a dropoff in talent.  A previous arrest doesn't equate to "character issues".  Same thing with Sammy Watkins.  He's considered a high character guy.  But he got arrested too.  And I doubt anybody is assuming he's going to smoke his way out of an NFL career..

Per rotoworld:

Quote:Report: Browns 'alarmed' by Manziel behavior

Johnny Manziel | CLE

(July 25, 2014 2:05 PM EDT)

Sources tell the Cleveland Plain Dealer the Browns have been "alarmed" by the off-field actions of Johnny Manziel since trading up to select him with the 22nd overall pick in May's draft.

The Plain Dealer reports the team was particularly bothered by a picture that surfaced of Manziel rolling a $20 bill in a bar bathroom, suggestive of someone preparing to use snort cocaine. "Some in the organization feel he's lost ground in the quarterback competition heading into camp," adds beat reporter Mary Kay Cabot. Manziel reportedly "regressed in practice" this spring, and team brass believes it resulted from "not enough dedication to the playbook." Sources also told Cabot the Browns "have been stunned by his non-stop antics" off the field. All signs continue to point to Brian Hoyer starting Week 1.

SOURCE: 

CLEVELAND PLAIN DEALER

"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:Per rotoworld:

This is part of what scared me away from him in the pre draft process.  He may yet turn out to be a good player, but that doesn't sound good at all, especially the part about him not having command of the playbook.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:This is part of what scared me away from him in the pre draft process.  He may yet turn out to be a good player, but that doesn't sound good at all, especially the part about him not having command of the playbook.

Considering the Pats were able to figure out that he only watched tape once in his collegiate career, it shouldn't be a shock to them at all.

LEONARD FOURNETTE FAN CLUB PRESIDENT. I WAS BEHIND HIM WHEN YOU ALL SAID HE WAS BRANDON JACOBS. QUIT HATING ON THE JAGUARS. GUS IS GONE. COUGHLIN HAS RESTORED ORDER. FOURNETTE IS FRED TAYLOR. DONT BELIEVE ME JUST WATCH.

Quote:Considering the Pats were able to figure out that he only watched tape once in his collegiate career, it shouldn't be a shock to them at all.

I had not heard THAT!

How can you be a good QB and not watch tape more than once?!?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Johnny Swan will get more then enough opportunities to prove if he has what it takes to be an NFL starting QB.

It will be entirely up to him if he takes advantage of his opportunities or he parties his way out of the league.

He's easily the most talked about NFL rookie right now and that won't be changing anytime soon.

It is going to be an extremely interesting preseason this year, especially for those teams who have new rookie QB's, as well as other high draft picks.

I know I am going to be watching more Browns and Vikings preseason games then I would have otherwise, as I suspect others will also.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Hahahahahhaha at least he might have a career in acting. He played an entirely different character in those interviews. Enough to fool a few teams.

Cleveland should try to cut their losses now and work out a trade to Dallas.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Quote:It's possible Manziel just isn't that bright, so he doesn't even realize he's putting himself into a situation where he might appear to be doing drugs. 
The problem isn't intelligence, its arrogance.

He comes from a wealthy family and has a highly developed sense of entitlement.  He realizes how it looks, he just doesn't care.

When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.