Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Coaching Candidates

In my completely uneducated opinion, I like the idea of Haley as HC... Mostly because he yells

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Haley is my top choice

Keeping the list updated...

Kyle Shanahan

Josh McDaniels

Mike Smith

Harlold Goodwin

Doug Marone

Tom Coughlin

Vance Joseph

Bill O’Brien (if fired)
Matt Patricia

Sean McDermott

Sean McVay

Todd Haley

Jim Bob Cooter

Anthony Lynn

Scott Linehan

Jim Schwartz

Mike McCoy

Rex Ryan

Teryl Austin

Dave Toub

Hugh Freeze

David Shaw

Mike Shula

Jon Gruden
Lovie Smith

Raheem Morris

Dom Capers

George Edwards

Jerome Henderson

Bob Sutton

Pete Carmichael Jr

Russ Grimm

John Pagano

Nick Saban

Les Miles

Kevin Sumlin

'02

The Chargers want to interview Dave Toub:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...dave-toub/

I've come way, wayyyyyy around on the guy, but Josh McDaniels is growing on me if the things I've read are true.

Toub is still very high on my list however.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:The Chargers want to interview Dave Toub:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...dave-toub/

I completely forgot about Toub. I think he has the makings of a good coach to come. 

Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Quote:In my completely uneducated opinion, I like the idea of Haley as HC... Mostly because he yells

lol ... I know you're only kidding, right? I mean, I hope so.

But there are a lot of people on here who think that's the main criteria - they want to see a bulging vein on the forehead; spittle dripping off the chin; fists clenched at all times.

Hey, if you have no way of knowing who is good or bad, always go with the stereotype from high school. Makes you look tough.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Quote:I completely forgot about Toub. I think he has the makings of a good coach to come. 

Agreed,  

It will be interesting to see how many interviews Dave Toub gets this week.   His results as a Special Teams coach have been extraordinary.

Quote:The Chargers want to interview Dave Toub:

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/03/chargers-ask-for-permission-to-interview-dave-toub/'>http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/03/chargers-ask-for-permission-to-interview-dave-toub/</a>
Toub is going to be the best hire of this offseason

Quote:Toub is going to be the best hire of this offseason

It wouldn't surprise if this happened if Dave Toub gets up getting a HC opportunity.  

A deep Chiefs run in the playoffs could easily hurt his chances of getting a HC in 2017.

The Jets now have a number of Assistant Coach openings,  including Offensive Coordinator ( Chan Gailey retired ).

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...nts-fired/

Quote:In my completely uneducated opinion, I like the idea of Haley as HC... Mostly because he yells

we have a front office that used an educated form of analytics to come up with Gus, Beadles, and Gerhart so I'll take your uneducated opinion and 2nd that emotion.

Quote:  Agreed,  

It will be interesting to see how many interviews Dave Toub gets this week.   His results as a Special Teams coach have been extraordinary.

I think a handful of teams will bring him in. You can't argue with his success and maybe he can set the new standard for special teams guys getting more serious consideration. 

If this was the year Caldwell was hiring his first coach instead of Gus, I think Toub would get serious consideration, but the 2017 Jaguars can't afford a coach that hasn't been a head coach before and hasn't shown he can win. 

So on one hand I might be a little jealous if he pans out, but in my head I know that it is not the smart, safe move for us. 

Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Quote:I think a handful of teams will bring him in. You can't argue with his success and maybe he can set the new standard for special teams guys getting more serious consideration. 

If this was the year Caldwell was hiring his first coach instead of Gus, I think Toub would get serious consideration, but the 2017 Jaguars can't afford a coach that hasn't been a head coach before and hasn't shown he can win. 

So on one hand I might be a little jealous if he pans out, but in my head I know that it is not the smart, safe move for us. 

I'm in agreement that an experienced winning NFL HC is the best fit for the Jaguars current situation,   It also gets back to what we discussed a few days ago about Bill O'Brien if he becomes available.  

in terms of the Assistant Coach candidates that haven't been NFL HCs before,  the two that jump out on this end,  in large part because of my familiarity with them,  are Teryl Austin and Dave Toub.   I think there's a good chance both will have plenty of success in good organizations,  with a QB situation that's at least decent.   

The work that Toub did with the Bears was attention getting to say the least.   They won a number of games each season mainly because of their Special Teams.   Though I haven't seen as many Chiefs games in recent seasons as Bears games when Toub was in Chicago,   practically every time I watch the Chiefs,  their Special Teams are a major asset. 

Quote:   I'm in agreement that an experienced winning NFL HC is the best fit for the Jaguars current situation,   It also gets back to what we discussed a few days ago about Bill O'Brien if he becomes available.  

I would jump for joy of O'Brien comes available and the Jaguars hire him.  He's done very good things with the Texans this year without a QB and the injuries.  I would take him here in a second.

Quote:I would jump for joy of O'Brien comes available and the Jaguars hire him.  He's done very good things with the Texans this year without a QB and the injuries.  I would take him here in a second.

I totally agree.  iMO,  even before this season,  what you mentioned about Bill O'Brien's work is applicable.   Three straight winning seasons and two division titles on the NFL level,  with the QBs and injuries O'Brien has dealt with,  even in a relatively weak division,  is impressive to say the least.

If the Raiders beat the Texans and O'Brien ends up leaving Houston,  I think there's going to be serious competition for his services.   Even possibly with one or more teams that haven't made a HC change yet. 

The Chargers and Rams reportedly will interview Teryl Austin on Sunday or Monday.

Until the Chargers stadium situation is settled,  it would be a mistake for anyone to accept their HC position.

The Rams organization is far from an ideal spot for a HC who probably will only get one opportunity,  unless that opportunity produces plenty of success.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...yl-austin/

The Broncos plan on interviewing Dave Toub.    This would appear to be a great opportunity for him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...ws-so-far/

An updated and trimmed list...

Mike Smith

Kyle Shanahan

Josh McDaniels

Harold Goodwin

Anthony Lynn

Doug Marone

Tom Coughlin

Vance Joseph

Bill O’Brien

(if fired)

Matt Patricia

Sean McDermott

Sean McVay

Dave Toub

Teryl Austin

Todd Haley

Jim Bob Cooter

Steve Wilks

Tom Cable

Hugh Freeze

David Shaw

Scott Linehan

Jim Schwartz

Mike McCoy

Nick Saban

Jon Gruden

<span style="font-family:arial, sans-serif;">Rex Ryan

</span>

'02

Quote:The Jets now have a number of Assistant Coach openings,  including Offensive Coordinator ( Chan Gailey retired ).

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...nts-fired/

I expect a number of people from this message board to apply.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.