Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Where are Lamar Jackson haters now?

(This post was last modified: 01-16-2020, 10:14 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

(01-16-2020, 08:45 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-15-2020, 07:42 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Yeah, he doesn't have the big body a Cam or Tebow does.  He wont be able to last from the hits over time.  If you can limit his scrambling and make him throw from the pocket he is no where near as affective and he will make the mistake.  But as you said his scrambling ability opens up passing lanes.  He has a ton of talent around him though and a great coaching staff so he is in a good spot

Year 3 yeah, but with as much talent as that they wont be able to pay everyone.  Newsome is gone also and you have Burrow coming in.  I see that Ravens team being really  good for about 2 more years max and then the downward spiral will begin.  So hopefully they can win the SB next year because that will be their best chance
You think Lamar cares that Burrow is going to the bengals? Lol

Might want to set the bar a little low with Burrow in year 1.
Oh yeah, I woul do like the Chiefs did with Mahomes and sit him 1 year unless the oline is much improved and they should be with a healthy William's and a new right guard. I would prospect still sit him a year or at least most of the year.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

You don't draft a guy #1 overall and sit him a year.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 01-16-2020, 10:53 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

(01-16-2020, 10:37 AM)Rico Wrote: You don't draft a guy #1 overall and sit him a year.

If the team around him is not ready you do.  You dont want the guy out there getting killed you just drafted to be the future of your franchise. So drafting a guy 10th overall it's ok to sit for a year though?

(01-15-2020, 02:45 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-15-2020, 10:44 AM)Mikey Wrote: All I could think of during the game was Vince Young....for ages, all Vic thumped was "make him be a passer". The tacks did just that to Lamar, and it worked.
Well good thing Young and Lamar are nothing alike.

So you're saying that when the tacks forced him to be a passer, he did well?

I'm not making any statement about body type, running style, or heck, even what they got going on between the earholes. When the run was taken away, the passing did not make up the difference. Plain and simple. Mistakes came, and they cost the team.

(This post was last modified: 01-16-2020, 10:57 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

(01-16-2020, 10:37 AM)Rico Wrote: You don't draft a guy #1 overall and sit him a year.

While you would throw your future to the wolves I would let him learn under Dalton like Mahomes Rodgers and others. I'm not gonna let draft position determine when any of my players play

(01-16-2020, 10:55 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(01-15-2020, 02:45 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Well good thing Young and Lamar are nothing alike.

So you're saying that when the tacks forced him to be a passer, he did well?

I'm not making any statement about body type, running style, or heck, even what they got going on between the earholes. When the run was taken away, the passing did not make up the difference. Plain and simple. Mistakes came, and they cost the team.
If you are seriously trying to compare Vince Young in any way shape or form to Lamar, you really need to do your homework.

Young had 12 passing touchdowns in his rookie season..... Which were the most he ever had in a season. He had 17 interceptions in year two... Go check out Lamar. Lamar led the league in passing touchdowns from the pocket. 

Young and Lamar are nothing alike.

(01-16-2020, 10:52 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

If the team around him is not ready you do.  You dont want the guy out there getting killed you just drafted to be the future of your franchise.  So drafting a guy 10th overall it's ok to sit for a year though?

I don't think the Bengals are that bad roster wise.... 
They were terrible this year which had a lot of factors in it. Star WR hurt. OL hurt. New coach staff changes.
They lost a ton of 1 score games and swapped QBs mid season (and then back again).

If Burrow is your guy and you draft him #1 overall. You expect him to be able to elevate talent around him. Add to that a healthier OL and probably Green (or some other weapons that I assume they'll add). I don't think he's a guy to sit.
Tua, sure redshirt him make sure he's healthy.
Herbert or Fromm, yeah, they aren't elite talents... imo.

Burrow? Nah... he is your day 1 starter and is far and beyond better than Dalton.
Don't play scared. Don't coach scared. Field your best players.

(01-16-2020, 10:56 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

While you would throw your future to the wolves I would let him learn under Dalton like Mahomes Rodgers and others.  I'm not gonna let draft position determine when any of my players play
So Lamar should be scared that Burrow can't beat out Dalton?

If Burrow is better than Dalton, he should play. Rodgers, at the time, wasn't better than Favre.

(This post was last modified: 01-16-2020, 11:24 AM by RicoTx.)

While you would throw your future to the wolves I would let him learn under Dalton like Mahomes Rodgers and others.  I'm not gonna let draft position determine when any of my players play

That's one of a multitude of reasons you aren't running or coaching a team.

You don't sit a player for fear of him getting hurt.  You sit him if he isn't ready.

Mahomes had a learning curve and Alex Smith was playing really well.
Rodgers had a HoF ahead of him.

I play him right away... like Manning. Dalton is no Favre... Hell... he ain't even where Alex Smith was at this point.

Also... It's ANDY DALTON. It's not like Burrow is sitting and learning from Brees.

There is no one rule fits all regarding playing rookie QBs but I'd definitely play burrow week 1. He's already extremely technically proficient and is an older prospect + the bengals aren't expected to win many games. Playing Dalton serves nobody

(01-16-2020, 11:14 AM)Rico Wrote:
(01-16-2020, 10:56 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: While you would throw your future to the wolves I would let him learn under Dalton like Mahomes Rodgers and others.  I'm not gonna let draft position determine when any of my players play

That's one of a multitude of reasons you aren't running or coaching a team.

You don't sit a player for fear of him getting hurt.  You sit him if he isn't ready.
Of course you sit him.if hes not ready. Most rookies aren't ready week1.  If your roster around him isnt ready I would sit him.  Maybe you dont care about getting you franchise killed but I would.  One of the reasons David Carr failed because he had zero chance.    That said, I think the oline will be much improved and Green will be healthy if they are able to keep him.  I would see how both looked in training camp and go from there. But I wouldn't start a rookie QB just based on draft position like you would, there are a number of factors regardingthat decision.  One of the billion reasons you aren't running a team or coaching

(01-16-2020, 02:02 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-16-2020, 11:14 AM)Rico Wrote: That's one of a multitude of reasons you aren't running or coaching a team.

Of course you sit him.if hes not ready. Most rookies aren't ready week1.  If your roster around him isnt ready I would sit him.  Maybe you dont care about getting you franchise killed but I would.  One of the reasons David Carr failed because he had zero chance.    That said, I think the oline will be much improved and Green will be healthy if they are able to keep him.  I would see how both looked in training camp and go from there. But I wouldn't start a rookie QB just based on draft position like you would, there are a number of factors regardingthat decision.  One of the billion reasons you aren't running a team or coaching

David Carr sucked.  That is an awful example.

So what if the line isn't 'fixed' by the second year?  Sit him again?  

Third year?

When do you stop worrying about getting him hurt?  The reasoning is asinine.

Ooooooo....a billion reasons instead of a multitude.  Guess you told me.

(01-16-2020, 02:02 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-16-2020, 11:14 AM)Rico Wrote: That's one of a multitude of reasons you aren't running or coaching a team.

Dog. You still believe Tebow is a great QB. You have zero legs to stand on.

This is Andy Dalton. Good luck trying to sell it to Bengals fans that the one of the most hyped QBs to ever come into the league isn't better than Andy Dalton.

"Hey Lebron. You're not ready to compete just yet so let's have Ricky Davis start instead."

(01-16-2020, 02:43 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-16-2020, 02:02 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Of course you sit him.if hes not ready. Most rookies aren't ready week1.  If your roster around him isnt ready I would sit him.  Maybe you dont care about getting you franchise killed but I would.  One of the reasons David Carr failed because he had zero chance.    That said, I think the oline will be much improved and Green will be healthy if they are able to keep him.  I would see how both looked in training camp and go from there. But I wouldn't start a rookie QB just based on draft position like you would, there are a number of factors regardingthat decision.  One of the billion reasons you aren't running a team or coaching
Dog. You still believe Tebow is a great QB. You have zero legs to stand on.

This is Andy Dalton. Good luck trying to sell it to Bengals fans that the one of the most hyped QBs to ever come into the league isn't better than Andy Dalton.

"Hey Lebron. You're not ready to compete just yet so let's have Ricky Davis start instead."

Are you really comparing a basketball player, the best High School player ever to a QB?  As I said , if hes ready and they can get the oline decent, which they probably will.  You see how they both look in training camp and if Burrow is ready.  But to start the guy just because he was the number 1 pick is not doing it the right way.  Draft position shouldn't determine whether or not to start him day 1.

(01-16-2020, 02:21 PM)Rico Wrote:
(01-16-2020, 02:02 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Of course you sit him.if hes not ready. Most rookies aren't ready week1.  If your roster around him isnt ready I would sit him.  Maybe you dont care about getting you franchise killed but I would.  One of the reasons David Carr failed because he had zero chance.    That said, I think the oline will be much improved and Green will be healthy if they are able to keep him.  I would see how both looked in training camp and go from there. But I wouldn't start a rookie QB just based on draft position like you would, there are a number of factors regardingthat decision.  One of the billion reasons you aren't running a team or coaching

David Carr sucked.  That is an awful example.

So what if the line isn't 'fixed' by the second year?  Sit him again?  

Third year?

When do you stop worrying about getting him hurt?  The reasoning is asinine.

Ooooooo....a billion reasons instead of a multitude.  Guess you told me.
Of course he sucked, did you ever watch him play?  He was thrown into and behind probably the worst oline in history.  They gave him zero chance to succeed.  With all that said, they have one of if not the best olineman in the draft last year coming back, hopefully Billy Price can take the next step, and Cordy Glenn who is decent.  I'm sure they will add another guy as well to the line and draft another TE or WR at the very least.  So you just see how he looks in training camp and preseason compared to Dalton.  Dalton actually looked good at the end of the year.

(01-16-2020, 03:10 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-16-2020, 02:43 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Dog. You still believe Tebow is a great QB. You have zero legs to stand on.

Are you really comparing a basketball player, the best High School player ever to a QB?  As I said , if hes ready and they can get the oline decent, which they probably will.  You see how they both look in training camp and if Burrow is ready.  But to start the guy just because he was the number 1 pick is not doing it the right way.  Draft position shouldn't determine whether or not to start him day 1.

If somebody is taking a QB with the number one pick in the NFL draft you'd better believe they think he is ready to step in and play.

But, as usual, way to change your argument.  You weren't going to start him if the line was going to get him hurt.  That was your reasoning when this whole line of discussion started.  But as usual your argument has changed.

(This post was last modified: 01-16-2020, 03:23 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(01-16-2020, 03:18 PM)Rico Wrote:
(01-16-2020, 03:10 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Are you really comparing a basketball player, the best High School player ever to a QB?  As I said , if hes ready and they can get the oline decent, which they probably will.  You see how they both look in training camp and if Burrow is ready.  But to start the guy just because he was the number 1 pick is not doing it the right way.  Draft position shouldn't determine whether or not to start him day 1.

If somebody is taking a QB with the number one pick in the NFL draft you'd better believe they think he is ready to step in and play.

But, as usual, way to change your argument.  You weren't going to start him if the line was going to get him hurt.  That was your reasoning when this whole line of discussion started.  But as usual your argument has changed.
I still stand behind that, i didn't change.  If they have the worst protecting oline in the league, I would sit him.  I dont wont to risk my franchise when there is no need to.  It wouldn't be the first time a QB has sat out his first season and turned into an MVP or SB winning QB

(01-16-2020, 03:23 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-16-2020, 03:18 PM)Rico Wrote: If somebody is taking a QB with the number one pick in the NFL draft you'd better believe they think he is ready to step in and play.

I still stand behind that, i didn't change.  If they have the worst protecting oline in the league, I would sit him.  I dont wont to risk my franchise when there is no need to.  It wouldn't be the first time a QB has sat out his first season and turned into an MVP or SB winning QB

Every player is at risk every time they step on to the field. The Bengals line isn't that bad, Andy Dalton didn't get broken this year did he?
You don't NOT play a player in fear of them getting hurt. And if getting banged around as a rookie gives your QB shell shock, he was the wrong dude to pick #1 overall.

And how the Hell did this thread get so derailed from Jackson to Burrow/Bengals lol