Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Star Wars the Force Awakens, CAUTION: SPOILERS HERE

(This post was last modified: 12-30-2015, 11:09 PM by pirkster.)

Quote:No, this story was about an orphan on a desert planet finding out that she's a Jedi while watching her aging mentor killed inside a death star that they then escape from and blow up. Reboot is a good description of this story, and that's ok. I just expected a new story not an old one with some tweeks.

Then you admit you completely missed the story, as I originally suggested.

This story was about finding Luke.  The opening crawl should have clued you in.

LOL... "death star"... they even debunked this notion within the actual movie.  Evolution of technology is a thing, you know.  Not unless you believe all modern cars are the same as the Model A, I suppose...

This is a continuation of the same main larger story, not a reboot.  Spiderman and Star Trek are examples of reboots, this is anything but.  A reboot would have been to change the original story.  This merely continued (and done respectfully so, I might add - unlike his treatment of Star Trek) the original story, along a consistent timeline, without anachronism, rebooting, or disrespect of the original trilogy.

If you can't tell the difference between a Death Star and a Starkiller (which is a nice nod to the original Skywalker name,) an aspirational farmboy who wants to get off his planet and a patient scavenger content to say on hers, a man who kills his mentor and a child who kills his father, an intergalactic spaceport bar overrun with the Empire where droids and blasters aren't allowed and a secluded pirate safe haven where anything goes... then you really are taking an extremely shallow look at a story that's much richer than you appear to understand.  Sorry you were disappointed, but you wouldn't be if you took a deeper dive.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Then you admit you completely missed the story, as I originally suggested.

This story was about finding Luke.  The opening crawl should have clued you in.

LOL... "death star"... they even debunked this notion within the actual movie.  Evolution of technology is a thing, you know.  Not unless you believe all modern cars are the same as the Model A, I suppose...

This is a continuation of the same main larger story, not a reboot.  Spiderman and Star Trek are examples of reboots, this is anything but.  A reboot would have been to change the original story.  This merely continued (and done respectfully so, I might add - unlike his treatment of Star Trek) the original story, along a consistent timeline, without anachronism, rebooting, or disrespect of the original trilogy.

If you can't tell the difference between a Death Star and a Starkiller (which is a nice nod to the original Skywalker name,) an aspirational farmboy who wants to get off his planet and a patient scavenger content to say on hers, a man who kills his mentor and a child who kills his father, an intergalactic spaceport bar overrun with the Empire where droids and blasters aren't allowed and a secluded pirate safe haven where anything goes... then you really are taking an extremely shallow look at a story that's much richer than you appear to understand.  Sorry you were disappointed, but you wouldn't be if you took a deeper dive.

Sorry you think you see so much that isn't there. It's ok to disagree, you're free to be wrong.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:Sorry you think you see so much that isn't there. It's ok to disagree, you're free to be wrong.

As are you.  Obviously.  Another well thought and elaborate take on the subject, I might add.

Quote:As are you.  Obviously.  Another well thought and elaborate take on the subject, I might add.

It doesn't take a lot of words to say what I've said. I'm generally concise, no need to say it over and over.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:Solo didn't "just happen" across his old ship, he was actively looking for it and he knew it was on or near Jakku. And going to Raz is a random choice, she's an old ally and friend who can help them reach the Rebellion. The fact she's friends with Solo also means she's likely to have been friends with Luke, hence why she has his lightsaber.

I must have missed something. I'll watch more closely on my next viewing. I just remember one minute it was oh no the first order from Finn, then chewie we are home from Han. Was there a homing beacon mentioned or somethin? Why was he transporting those beasties if he was actually looking for his old ship? Did they ever turn the poison gas off? Also, what are the chances the falcon is the ship they use to go in this mission?!? It must have been fate I guess.

Quote:I must have missed something. I'll watch more closely on my next viewing. I just remember one minute it was oh no the first order from Finn, then chewie we are home from Han. Was there a homing beacon mentioned or somethin? Why was he transporting those beasties if he was actually looking for his old ship? Did they ever turn the poison gas off? Also, what are the chances the falcon is the ship they use to go in this mission?!? It must have been fate I guess.
There's a few throwaway lines during that interaction that sort of explain what's going on. One is something about scanning the wrong side of the planet and another is they picked up the Falcon on their scanners when it left the planet. I didn't even notice most of them until my second viewing.

thought the movie was awesome

(This post was last modified: 01-01-2016, 05:22 PM by Jaguarmeister.)

I've seen it twice now.  Huge fan of the originals as I was a toddler during the early 80's and I watched the hell out of them to the point that I could recite every line of dialogue verbatim as it was happening and probably still could.  I made my wife watch 4 thru 6 in November as she had never seen them and actually that was also my first time re-watching them in many years. 

Impressions after leaving the theater on the first showing:

The story and the emotional connections between characters (specifically Finn and Rey) felt rushed to me.  Also, Han's death felt rushed because there was no development of Han's and Kylo's relationship other than it being explained that they were father and son.  The disappointment I felt when Han was killed trumped any sort of touching emotional connection they were trying to demonstrate between father and son with Han touching his face before he fell.  I'm sure they were trying to make you hate Kylo because of it, but I think they failed in that at least with me.  It was more disappointment that they would kill Han off.  I realize that the blame lies with Harrison Ford because I believe it's come out that he told them this was his last Star Wars movie so they needed to figure out how to carry on without Han Solo.  I just felt like if Han had to die, it would have been better for it to happen in 8 or 9 instead of here so they could develop the father/son relationship a bit more.  To me, this was really selfish on Harrison's part considering what the franchise did for him.  I know he wanted out back in Empire and ROTJ as well.

The music was not as prominent and/or as good as it was in the original trilogy.  I'm not sure how else to describe it.  The music in the original trilogy and to a lesser extent the prequels was very good if not perfect.  The music in the original trilogy can, by itself, pull on me emotionally.  I left the theater thinking that the music didn't really do anything to or for me in this movie.  That may seem trivial to some, but that was kind of a big deal to me.  They could have re-used some of the tracks from the original trilogy (Imperial March anyone?) or modified them slightly and I would have been A-OK with that.

I didn't like the Maz character for a number of reasons.  I'm sure one of them was because she was one of the few CGI characters, but it was more than that.  The "all-knowing, all-wise" type character without backstory doesn't usually do it for me.  Yoda worked being an aged Jedi Master and before he ever appeared on screen you knew he was the one who trained Obi-wan so they already laid the ground work with Obi-wan's abilities and his mentioning that Yoda was his teacher.  Maybe they'll bring Maz back and more will be explained, but I can't help hoping that they don't.  I realize her race lives a long time and that she's 1,000 years old or whatever, but that's not enough to explain it at least for me.  I suppose they'll have to at least explain how she got the lightsaber.  Also, Kylo seemed kind of emo to me which was kind of annoying.  I guess having a different spin on a Star Wars villain is ok though.  

The disappearance of Poe from the Tie Fighter wreckage seemed weird and felt like weak writing for him to reappear later with one or two lines of explanation.  I haven't confirmed this, but my buddy told me a few days after we saw the movie that he read that Poe was originally supposed to die there and they ended up writing him back in after that scene was filmed which is why it felt that way.  If that's true I'm glad they decided not to end Poe there and write him back in, but it confirms to me why I felt it was weak writing at the time.

The story as a whole borrowed heavily from A New Hope.  I'm not sure how anyone could deny that.  This was clearly more of a copy of A New Hope than ROTJ was.  Just because they both had Death Stars?  That seems like the most basic of comparisons between the two.  The Force Awakens parallels A New Hope on so many levels.  And although the Star Killer base was much more powerful than either of the Death Stars, it didn't feel as menacing for some reason and was destroyed rather easily just like its predecessors.  How many times are we going to allow a small star fighter to destroy such a consolidation of power?  The whole Star Killer problem seemed so "ho hum, let's go blow this thing up" to me.  Maybe it comes back to the music not being as good as it should or could have been.  Also, I really missed the 20th Century Fox lead in prior to the opening song and story scroll.  Unfortunately, it will never happen again with Disney owning it now.  (minutiae, I know)

Overall I did like the movie despite my long write up of negatives here.  It was immediately better than any of the prequels, but I don't think any current or future Star Wars movie will ever live up to the originals.  Unless you grew up in the 90's or after and you don't have the emotional connection to the original trilogy like I and many others do.  

When I saw it for the second time, I left liking it more than I did the first time.  Not that I didn't like it to begin with.  I really liked the focus on staying away from CGI characters as much as possible.  The music didn't seem as bad as I made it out to be but it was still clearly not featured as prominently as it had been in previous movies and I don' think that's a good thing.  I still think if Han could have died in 8 or 9 it could have been done in a more climactic way.  I understand it's hard for them to build up one relationship in one movie that focuses on so many main characters, so again the blame falls squarely on Harrison for this.  Finn and Rey's rush to an emotional connection didn't seem to bother me as much the second time around.  I'll probably see it at least one more time in the theater before buying the movie when it's available.  

One line of text that I picked up on the second time around between Hux and another officer (maybe it was Kylo) was that Snoke instructed them to capture the droid or destroy it meaning that Snoke's motive to find Luke isn't as strong as Kylo's.  I don't think Kylo would have been ok with destroying the droid at that time, since he wasn't aware of Rey at that moment.  I know this might not end up meaning anything, I just found it interesting that this display of their motives/goals not being 100% aligned was interesting.

Also, I was very disappointed Max Von Sydow had such a small role.  When he was cast I felt he was a perfect choice for a Star Wars character and sadly his part was minor and screen time minimal.   Although he apparently met his end, I don't believe they show you anything other than him being struck by a lightsaber and falling to the ground.  I suppose it's possible, however unlikely, that he survived.  When he was initially cast, I read he was going to play a cyborg type character and I didn't see anything cybernetic about him in this film, so maybe he survived and becomes that cyborg that I read about.

Finally caught it.

Kylo Ren is no Darth Vader.

Quote:Finally caught it.

more like a slytherin 

Go Jags!
*To stay up for atleast 2 years 3/6/17
2016 draft players I think will be good
  • On the Fournette train, will be best back of his class 3/6/17
  • Lattimore please,  Lockdowns on both sides would be nice
  • Engram at TE and the MJD clone Samaje Perine

Quote:more like a slytherin

A what?

Quote:Finally caught it.

Don't think he's supposed to be, and I'm ok with that.

Quote:A what?

the bad house from harry potter

Go Jags!
*To stay up for atleast 2 years 3/6/17
2016 draft players I think will be good
  • On the Fournette train, will be best back of his class 3/6/17
  • Lattimore please,  Lockdowns on both sides would be nice
  • Engram at TE and the MJD clone Samaje Perine

I can finally read this thread. Went to the IMAX last weekend and saw it in 3D.. Was pretty cool.
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Quote:Don't think he's supposed to be, and I'm ok with that.

Yeah, I get that too, but I guess I just wasn't impressed with him.

I found it odd that in the first few scenes he seemed really powerful, (stopping the blaster laser) and just kinda unraveled throughout the movie to the point a completely untrained Jedi owned him.

By the end he was completely unintimidaring. But perhaps that's by design.

I think for as much as people disliked Hayden Christiansen's whiny portyal of Anakin, there were bits of Kylo that seemed eerily reminiscent.

Quote:Yeah, I get that too, but I guess I just wasn't impressed with him.

I found it odd that in the first few scenes he seemed really powerful, (stopping the blaster laser) and just kinda unraveled throughout the movie to the point a completely untrained Jedi owned him.

I think for as much as people disliked Hayden Christiansen's whiny portyal of Anakin, there were bits of Kylo that seemed eerily reminiscent.

That's the dark side.  Full emotion, zero discipline.  A child with incredible power.

Quote:Yeah, I get that too, but I guess I just wasn't impressed with him.

To be fair, he took a bowcaster bolt to the stomach before saod lightsaber duel without moving an inch. Those shots were making stormtroopers fly all over the place throughout the movie.

He was supposed to be perceived as emotionally weak, I think. He wasn't as trained a Jedi as Anakin, and Snoke said his dark side training wasn't complete, either.

I imagine his development will be a huge theme in the next movie.

Quote:To be fair, he took a bowcaster bolt to the stomach before saod lightsaber duel without moving an inch. Those shots were making stormtroopers fly all over the place throughout the movie.

He was supposed to be perceived as emotionally weak, I think. He wasn't as trained a Jedi as Anakin, and Snoke said his dark side training wasn't complete, either.

I imagine his development will be a huge theme in the next movie.

That does make sense. I kind of forgot about the bowcaster.

We also saw he was able to pull thoughts from people's heads. But he was stymied trying the same by a completely untrained Rey? So a semi-trained Sith was outclassed by a completely untrained soon to be Jedi?

I guess my issue is there was no clear hierarchy of power, whereas before we knew Vader started at a certain level which Luke was trying to achieve over the bulk of the story arc. I'm completely unsure where these new characters sit relative to each other, which is totally fine, it just doesn't make Kylo Ren feel that menacing to me as of now because Rey seemingly surpassed or met his ability within a few scenes with no training.

Either way it's a really minor nitpick that I'm sure will be worked out over the course of the story. I actually really really like the Rey character, more than Luke.