Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles benched at practice for Henne after 2 pick 6's?

(This post was last modified: 08-13-2017, 10:13 PM by NameRemoved.)

(08-13-2017, 09:16 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: This is Leftwich vs Garrard all over again. Except there's no Garrard on the team. It was clear that Henne commanded the offense way better than Bortles. His 97 yard TD was a thing of beauty. There's no mechanical issues.

If the only thing I have to worry about with Henne are interceptions, then I'll take that.

Blake Bortles is 48th all time with 11 pick sixes in just over 2 years. Chad Henne has 7 over 8 years. Ill take my chances with Henne or even Allen for that matter. They really can't do worse. Blake is the Gus Bradley of QBs.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/l...career.htm

Further more in two and a half weeks of training camp Bortles has thrown by my count 8 picks with at least two pick sixes. And this is the guy were supposed to let lead them to victory? No thanks!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I made a wild prediction after the 2016 season that Bortles wouldn't be our starting QB in 2017.

I hope I'm right.

(08-13-2017, 10:55 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I made a wild prediction after the 2016 season that Bortles wouldn't be our starting QB in 2017.

I hope I'm right.

I really hope your right too. Bottles is holding this team back.

Kaepernick > Bortles/Henne

How quickly people forget how bad Chad Henne was during the regular season.

"Can't be worse than Bortles!"

(1 game later...)

"START BORTLES! Geez, why did we even have Henne on this team to begin with? At least Bortles will give us a shot at getting to the 50 yard line!"

(08-14-2017, 12:50 AM)The Eleventh Doctor Wrote: How quickly people forget how bad Chad Henne was during the regular season.

(1 game later...)

"START BORTLES!  Geez, why did we even have Henne on this team to begin with?  At least Bortles will give us a shot at getting to the 50 yard line!"

Some of these people on here make me shake my head as a Jaguar fan
[Image: giphy.gif]

(08-14-2017, 12:50 AM)The Eleventh Doctor Wrote: How quickly people forget how bad Chad Henne was during the regular season.

(1 game later...)

"START BORTLES!  Geez, why did we even have Henne on this team to begin with?  At least Bortles will give us a shot at getting to the 50 yard line!"
Bingo.

Henne is letting it fly during practice and in preseason but when the real games start, he will check down all day. It's gonna be Bortles to start the season barring an injury. It's going to be a run the ball and ball control offense. You're looking at running a game plan like the chiefs.

I wonder how people would act if Jameis was our QB. He's on track to have almost the exact same TD to INT numbers as Blake. But everyone thinks Jameis will be the next big thing. His decision making isn't any better than Blake's has been.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(08-13-2017, 07:25 PM)JaguarJosh05 Wrote: Blake needs a fire lit under him. I don't know if he's just gotten really lackadaisical or what. Maybe our first/second unit defense is just that good. Not his fault Greene dropped a first down pass. Would be nice if Brandon Allen won the starting job somehow. I'd like to see him start one of these preseason games.

I really don't get all of this Brandon Allen love.  Especially after the first preseason game last week.  I guess we should get excited when he shows up against guys who will be out of the league in a few weeks, but his accuracy last week was certainly suspect.  I don't see Allen as a future starter for this or any team in the league. I think he can eventually develop into a guy who replaces Henne because he's got good awareness, but I've never been terribly impressed with him to the point where I'm thinking we should give this guy a shot at the top spot.

As far as Blake needing to be motivated, benching him in a practice after throwing a couple of pick sixes isn't going to do anything to inspire him, especially when the coach is saying  he was on a pitch count.  Marrone has been refreshingly honest in his evaluations up to this point, so it's a bit disappointing that he didn't just say his QB sucked, and they sat him down for the session to ponder his shortcomings.  Coddling Bortles isn't going to make him a better QB.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

May the best man win.
You Gotta Be Able To Run Da' Rock~

(08-13-2017, 01:58 PM)BklynJag Wrote:
(08-13-2017, 01:55 PM)haveaseat Wrote: 2 pick sixes than a rest day. How convenient. Coach speak.

Exactly. Some people on here are so far up Blake's butt. 

Irony.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(1 game later...)

In our defense, this was before we had a defense that could actually win games. Simply having a "game manager" at this point will give us 4 extra wins by itself. We can't afford to throw pick 6's and give up field position all day and still win.

Wow...
Look, I understand why so many on the board are ready to move on from Bortles. I also am less than enthusiastic about him at this point. Generally, by the time a professional player is in their third year, you should pretty much know what you've got. If that is true, then we already know what we've got in Bortles and it isn't what we wanted in our 'franchise' quarterback.

Nevertheless... I would caution that wanting to throw him out at this point (prior to seeing him in a 2017 regular season game or two...) is reactionary and premature. Let's at least give him the benefit of doubt and watch him in a couple of regular season games. If he then proves to be an asset for the opponents... then it's time for him to be seated. 

I think that we all know that Chad Henne isn't a guy who's going to take us to the promised land either. Brandon Allen can hand the ball off just as well as Chad and we need to evaluate/develop Allen. If Bortles is benched due to poor performance, then we pretty much know that this season is a wash anyway, so why not get some use out of it and work with Brandon Allen? Chad doesn't need development; he was never intended to do anything here except to fill in (in the event of injury or other mitigating circumstances) for Bortles. If Bortles is taken out, Allen should get the call. Henne should be our last option.

(08-14-2017, 09:14 AM)StitchJones Wrote: Wow...
Look, I understand why so many on the board are ready to move on from Bortles. I also am less than enthusiastic about him at this point. Generally, by the time a professional player is in their third year, you should pretty much know what you've got. If that is true, then we already know what we've got in Bortles and it isn't what we wanted in our 'franchise' quarterback.

Nevertheless... I would caution that wanting to throw him out at this point (prior to seeing him in a 2017 regular season game or two...) is reactionary and premature. Let's at least give him the benefit of doubt and watch him in a couple of regular season games. If he then proves to be an asset for the opponents... then it's time for him to be seated. 

I think that we all know that Chad Henne isn't a guy who's going to take us to the promised land either. Brandon Allen can hand the ball off just as well as Chad and we need to evaluate/develop Allen. If Bortles is benched due to poor performance, then we pretty much know that this season is a wash anyway, so why not get some use out of it and work with Brandon Allen? Chad doesn't need development; he was never intended to do anything here except to fill in (in the event of injury or other mitigating circumstances) for Bortles. If Bortles is taken out, Allen should get the call. Henne should be our last option.

It's simple.  The owner has made it clear it's time to start cobbling wins together, so this season will not become an audition for Allen.  If Bortles is benched, Henne will be the starter regardless of what we know about him.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(08-14-2017, 09:06 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:

(1 game later...)

In our defense, this was before we had a defense that could actually win games. Simply having a "game manager" at this point will give us 4 extra wins by itself. We can't afford to throw pick 6's and give up field position all day and still win.

The bottom line is that Bortles cant be trusted. He's had enough time to show exactly who he is. Its not that I want henne or bust, it's more anyone but Bortles. I actually would like to enjoy watching Jaguars football this season. I really don't care how many of you here get offended at the notion that Bortles should be benched or cut. Hes flat out done.

I don't know how to read into all of that. We know he's struggled. We really didn't see much out of him against New England. Greene did drop a routine pitch and catch on a drag route though. He at least checked down when nothing was open as well downfield.

But, with that said. Not sure how to read into Marrone at this time. They'll blame it on repetitions, work load, etc. I guess they were saying yesterday his arm was tired. My only argument against that is that everybody's repetitions have gone up this off-season. Not just his. So it should still be an even playing field out there.

You never want to hear your starting QB is throwing picks on a routine basis though. Under any circumstances. Even if it's practice. But, the kicker is that, if he's getting it all out of his system during practice throughout the week. But he shows up on game days and he's producing let's say, a 60 - 65% completion percentage with maybe 200 - 250 through the air and a TD or two with no turnovers. I am cool with that. But he needs to do that three to four weeks in a row before he has one of his off days. I can accept that.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

"Benched" at practice?

These guys are in mid season form...

(This post was last modified: 08-14-2017, 09:37 AM by StitchJones.)

(08-14-2017, 09:22 AM)FBT Wrote:
(08-14-2017, 09:14 AM)StitchJones Wrote: Wow...

It's simple.  The owner has made it clear it's time to start cobbling wins together, so this season will not become an audition for Allen.  If Bortles is benched, Henne will be the starter regardless of what we know about him.
I understand the need for wins... but I'm disinclined to agree with the decision to put in Henne prior to Allen if that is the case. What Chad Henne brings to the table isn't going to get us many wins... at least not any more than putting a rookie like Allen in will. If Chad is put in, I pretty much see us being committed almost exclusively to the run game. With Allen's demonstrated ability to go down field, the opponents defense would at least have to respect that possibility. With Chad in, they can pretty much 'stack the box' all day and not need to worry too much about Chad burning them deep.

...at least, that's the way I see it; but then again, I'm not a professional coach... just a fan. And after all, our professional coaches have had such a good record here... Tongue

I just don't understand why better competition wasn't brought in to compete with Blake. He struggles to read defenses. If you are throwing pick sixes to Paul Pozluzny, that says a lot about you.

(This post was last modified: 08-14-2017, 10:22 AM by RicoTx.)

(08-14-2017, 10:05 AM)BklynJag Wrote: I just don't understand why better competition wasn't brought in to compete with Blake. He struggles to read defenses. If you are throwing pick sixes to Paul Pozluzny, that says a lot about you.

This guy named Peyton Manning threw a pick-6 to Poszluzny...in an actual NFL game.  What did that say about him?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]