Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
QB is an open competition per Marrone

(08-18-2017, 07:53 AM)FBT Wrote:
(08-18-2017, 07:09 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Well, brace yourselves for another five to six win season because that's where it's looking like we're heading. Don't care who leads this offense at this point. Henne threw some darts back-to-back that were dropped. That's promising. We still have Fournette to look forward to. But, at the end of the day I don't see us being able to do enough.

We saw some sloppy, undisciplined play last night on kick returns as well. I think I counted at least four or five straight times in a row where we were flagged for holding. That needs to be cleaned up by now. Ivory was getting owned in the backfield. Yeldon maybe had one nice run. But nothing really eye opening last night at all.

This secondary is completely screwed if we lose Ramsey, Bouye and Colvin at any point this year. I don't feel confident with any of the depth we have at CB after last night's showing. Now, granted. It was against Evans and Jackson. But it's still a scary thought.

That's about right.   Minus Fournette and our entire secondary on defense, we should be better play once we have all the pieces back on the field.  We've said all along that it rests on the arm of Bortles.  Well, he pretty much assured that we'll be picking another top 10 draft pick in 2018.  Henne looks great at times, but then he's Henne.  Can't trust that to take this team to the next level, and there's really nobody out there we are going to trade for who is going to step in and magically turn this team into a contender.  

It's probably time to start talking about the draft.

So your option going forward would be to stick with Henne and look forward to the draft? I'd rather make a trade for a QB who can start and win games for us.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I've been optimistic for far too long.

The competition should be open to Henne and Allen.

With Allen having the edge and earning a right to at least get a little 1s time....

@seifertespn "Borderline irresponsible" for #Jaguars to not plan QB competition before now -- @ESPNdirocco. Yep. https://t.co/HfQsKd97IQ?amp=1

(08-17-2017, 11:36 PM)archer56 Wrote: So all the qbs get sprinkles now?

Real talk, can't wait to see them split first team reps between 3 qbs while.trying to gain timing and cohesion as an offensive unit. What could go wrong? If they are going to do this they might as well trade for Alex smith or jimmy G since they are all going to be at essentially the same page

If someone made a serious play for Alex Smith, I think he'd be a possibility.  The Chiefs like Mahones. OTH, I'm unsure if Smith fits our offense.
[Image: giphy.gif]
The team will only go as far as the quality of the offensive line.

I've been saying for a while that Bortles shouldn't be the starter. So far Henne and Allen have both looked 10x better. They both need to split snaps with the 1's next week. We've seen what Bortles can do in these first 2 games. Same crap as always.

We need to bring in a kicker too. Not sure why they keep sticking with Myers.
Here we go again

(This post was last modified: 08-18-2017, 09:50 AM by I am Yoda.)

(08-18-2017, 12:19 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(08-18-2017, 12:12 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: I don't see an issue trading a high pick for a proven commodity. Caldwell's high picks are hit or miss anyway.

What proven commodity? Alex Smith? He's a game manager who has been surrounded by offensive and defensive talent and hasn't been able to take the Chiefs to the Superbowl. He'd have a lot less talent here, so what would that accomplish? Jimmy G? He hasn't been on the field enough in meaningful games to even get an evaluation. Not to mention that the Pats want a king's ransom for him.

But Smith can get you to the playoffs.  If you were to trade for a 33 y/o qb you aren't expecting SB.  Heck, at this point I'd be thrilled by an 8-8 season.

(08-18-2017, 12:38 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(08-18-2017, 12:29 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: If Tyrod is so good, why is his own team trying to run him out of town?
Because he isn't perfect and has some flaws as a QB. He doesn't hit the middle of the field well and and his anticipation isn't great. What he does well is: Great deep ball, doesn't turn the ball over much and can keep plays alive/beat defenses with his legs. You can feed Arob/Lee/Westbrook deep, control the ball on the ground and keep everything ticking over.  

That's a hell of a lot better than starting Henne or playing Bortles in the state he is in.

I think FBT and a couple of the others are right.  Marrone has made the decision to move on from Blake.  If Henne can manage the games and the O-line can get its act together, maybe there are some wins this year.

Time for Bortles to hit the door-tles

(This post was last modified: 08-18-2017, 10:06 AM by I am Yoda.)

(08-18-2017, 05:35 AM)BklynJag Wrote:
(08-18-2017, 12:31 AM)knarnn Wrote: Season is over before it begins! There's always next year.

It's the #becauseJaguars way
This is how i feel. Feels like the season is shot.

(08-18-2017, 02:33 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: It'll take multiple high round picks to get him. No thanks.

Stop with the picks, Caldwell misses on then anyway. This team needs to make a bold move.

Caldwell isn't here in 2018.

(08-18-2017, 09:17 AM)newporttom Wrote: Allen was clearly the best QB for the Jags last night.  Accurate throws, pocket presence, scramble ability.  I'd like to see a competition netween Henne/Allen with Blake #3.

Is Blake's money for this year guaranteed?

If Blake's not your #1, why is he on the final roster, money or no money?  Consistency is what you must have from a backup.  You know his limitations and you know what you can rely on when he comes in to manage a game.  Blake isn't the answer at #2 if he's not your #1.

(08-18-2017, 09:44 AM)I am Yoda Wrote:
(08-18-2017, 12:19 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: What proven commodity? Alex Smith? He's a game manager who has been surrounded by offensive and defensive talent and hasn't been able to take the Chiefs to the Superbowl. He'd have a lot less talent here, so what would that accomplish? Jimmy G? He hasn't been on the field enough in meaningful games to even get an evaluation. Not to mention that the Pats want a king's ransom for him.

But Smith can get you to the playoffs.  If you were to trade for a 33 y/o qb you aren't expecting SB.  Heck, at this point I'd be thrilled by an 8-8 season.

(08-18-2017, 12:38 AM)JackCity Wrote: Because he isn't perfect and has some flaws as a QB. He doesn't hit the middle of the field well and and his anticipation isn't great. What he does well is: Great deep ball, doesn't turn the ball over much and can keep plays alive/beat defenses with his legs. You can feed Arob/Lee/Westbrook deep, control the ball on the ground and keep everything ticking over.  

That's a hell of a lot better than starting Henne or playing Bortles in the state he is in.

I think FBT and a couple of the others are right.  Marrone has made the decision to move on from Blake.  If Henne can manage the games and the O-line can get its act together, maybe there are some wins this year.

but the oline isn't going to get its act together... we know this, we KNEW THIS.. but the coaches didnt.. there were many players in FA we could have gone after, but we didnt.  Our line is trash.

At this point, Alex Smith is probably the most realistic option, one that would be a massive upgrade.  He has weapons here, is mobile and can maybe work behind this line.  However, it is going to cost us a pretty penny in draft picks, and honestly, after watching that joke of a defense last night, I'm not sure it's even worth it right now.

We continue to do the SAME awful things on defense.  Non stop, we don't adjust, we don't change.  I do not understand what is so bad about man to man defense, atleast at times.  Having linebackers just back pedal a few steps and then stand there hoping the QB is bad enough to throw the ball at them is just mind numbingly bad defense

As much as we want to prop Henne up on a pedestal right now, lets not forget the fact that it was HIS dismal play that caused Bortles to be thrown to the wolves WAY ahead of schedule.

In essence, it is Henne's fault Bortles is so bad.

(This post was last modified: 08-18-2017, 10:20 AM by jvillejagsn1.)

I think Allen should get all reps with the 1s this week and let him start this next game to see how he responds and how he does. We don't have much in him with the 1s. That will be the real test.
Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

(08-18-2017, 10:20 AM)jvillejagsn1 Wrote: I think Allen should get all reps with the 1s this week and let him start this next game to see how he responds and how he does. We don't have much in him with the 1s. That will be the real test.

This is another problem we have. No QB is going to develop regular season ready cohesion with the starters because they are still trying to find one! What a mess!!

@Greggrosenthal Those 2 Bortles/Marrone games late in ’16 season could set Jags back a(nother) year

(This post was last modified: 08-18-2017, 10:42 AM by MoJagFan.)

I'm not a big fan of NFL.COM but we had a lot of discussion along those lines last year.

EDIT:
Still learning how to use the quote/reply.  This is my reply to Greg Rosenthall comment.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(This post was last modified: 08-18-2017, 11:27 AM by J-Mizzal.)

(08-17-2017, 11:25 PM)BklynJag Wrote: Bring in Kap. Trade for Smith or Tyrod Taylor.

This

people only want Henne because he's the backup QB now and backup QB is always the most popular player on a team with a bad starter at QB

Henne when he was played as a starter sucks worst then Bortles, he looks good in short spurts in the preseason, he's like 33 he is who he is and thats a high INT guy too.

Also for the Brandon Allen people, its about a 5% chance he becomes good as a 6th round pick, could he be the next Brady prob not, but I would rather him then Henne playing.
<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

(08-18-2017, 11:24 AM)J-Mizzal Wrote:
(08-17-2017, 11:25 PM)BklynJag Wrote: Bring in Kap. Trade for Smith or Tyrod Taylor.

This

people only want Henne because he's the backup QB now and backup QB is always the most popular player on a team with a bad starter at QB

Henne when he was played as a starter sucks worst then Bortles, he looks good in short spurts in the preseason, he's like 33 he is who he is and thats a high INT guy too.

Also for the Brandon Allen people, its about a 5% chance he becomes good as a 6th round pick, could he be the next Brady prob not, but I would rather him then Henne playing.

I'd pass on Kap and Taylor. I'd be cool with Smith coming in. 

I just don't see the harm in giving Allen some reps at this point.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(08-18-2017, 09:24 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(08-18-2017, 07:53 AM)FBT Wrote: That's about right.   Minus Fournette and our entire secondary on defense, we should be better play once we have all the pieces back on the field.  We've said all along that it rests on the arm of Bortles.  Well, he pretty much assured that we'll be picking another top 10 draft pick in 2018.  Henne looks great at times, but then he's Henne.  Can't trust that to take this team to the next level, and there's really nobody out there we are going to trade for who is going to step in and magically turn this team into a contender.  

It's probably time to start talking about the draft.

So your option going forward would be to stick with Henne and look forward to the draft? I'd rather make a trade for a QB who can start and win games for us.

I don't see anyone available via trade that will turn this team around without costing us the future in draft picks.  Maybe Tom pulls off a trade, but I'm not holding my breath.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(08-18-2017, 10:36 AM)BklynJag Wrote: @Greggrosenthal Those 2 Bortles/Marrone games late in ’16 season could set Jags back a(nother) year

That speculation is out the window. Marrone is living in the present, and not the last two games of 2016.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

First time poster, but this is not encouraging news for the season. I don't know if I have any faith in Henne leading this team to the playoffs. It falls on management to not have a contingency plan with another QB. Its two steps forward, one step back every season.

This whole thing is a joke.

Did Henne outplay Bortles yesterday? I guess. It was a small sample size and Henne's "success" was 2 dropped passes when they were setup 3 yards outside the redzone by a return. Bortles threw one underthrown ball and we have all of this now. It even looked more intentionally underthrown. It appeared to me at least that he didn't think Robinson was going to break free like that and he was throwing the ball for Robinson to high point it.

When Bortles first got here, I remember Gus talking about not coaching the aggressiveness out of him and neutering him. He threw too many interceptions and now he's been neutered and ostracized as a result.

All Bortles has done is everything asked of him, just not at the rate some people want.

Throw less interceptions? His interception rate has gone down every year that he has been in the league. He threw just one interception in the last 4 games of last season.

Be more efficient and a game manager? This preseason he is up over 61% completion percentage and has zero turnovers.

Here is what nobody is paying attention to. We were 2-4 last year in games where Blake didn't throw an interception. That's bad - really bad. The offense is bad with or without Blake. It's not just eliminating turnovers, its establishing a running game, its not dropping balls, and its giving up on routes, its certainly not tipping balls to the defense.