Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Hurns to be cut? Really?

I think they'll keep him. If they need to cut Henne or a TE to justify his roster spot they should do it this weekend. At the minimum he's a major insurance policy in the event something happens to Robinson or Lee. He at least has a bit of chemistry developed with Bortles.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Not buying this speculation. Not at all. That's just Sexton talking from his rear end.

Hurns is the best slot receiver we have. The next guy up in the slot is Shane Wynn.
They aren't going to work Lee in the slot often as they don't want him taking those hits after the inevitable off target throws from Bortles.

Westbrook isn't ready to play there yet. He's played almost all of his snaps this offseason outside. I think he'll get work there next year.

No way. He's at the very least our #4 and that's pressing. There's a reason why westbrook is playing with the 2nd and 3rd team. Hurns has performed against starters. I highly doubt he's cut. The NFL needs to make the rosters 56 players....
Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

If they cut Hurns then I'm done.

(This post was last modified: 09-01-2017, 09:29 AM by Bullseye.)

Honestly not Bortles bashing, but I wonder if Hurns is even discussed as a cut, even with his contract, if the team didn't exercise the 5th year option on Bortles.

That's $19 million worth of salary for Bortles in 2018.

Looking at the merits, Hurns would be a tough cut.

Hurns is a proven 1000 yard receiver. He is tough and runs good routes. Has no off field issues at all, to my knowledge.

From what I can tell, if Hurns is truly 5th on the depth chart it seems Marrone is favoring more explosiveness at WR, as Westbrook, Cole and Wynn all look more explosive than Hurns.

If they cut Hurns, I would hope it's after week 1. Houston is banged up at WR. It would be so Jaguars to sign Hurns to an extension, cut him a year afterward, only to have a division rival sign him and he kill us.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Cutting Hurns is laughable...

No way he is 7th best WR on the team.
And we should be keeping 6.

With the WR contract market the way it is... Hurs is tradeable BUT
the teams most needy at WR are the ones seemingly selling off their talent and tanking (jests and bills)

I am truly baffled by all this Hurns cut talk.

What? The team is just going to eat his $7 million guarantee this year in favor of some never been rookies? Who in their right mind thinks TC would do this? This guy was a thousand yard receiver a couple of years ago. Making the tough catches. A warrior playing through severe injury for his team.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(09-01-2017, 05:20 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Brian Sexton said last night on the broadcast and again on Jaguars.com that he thought Allen Hurns would not make the final 53.   I am stunned by this assertion.   I know we probably gave him too big a contract, but he has been one of our top 2 receivers the last few years, very reliable and clutch. 

I think he's un-tradeable because of the contract.   Is it really possible he gets cut?

There's a some speculation about this based on the fact that he didn't play again last night.  It's odd because none of the skill position starters played, so why they think it means something different for Hurns is beyond me. 

IMO, I don't think Hurns gets cut, and like you, I think his extension makes him a non-factor in any trade discussions.  They've got some decisions to make with the rookies because Westbrook, Wynn, and Cole have all had good preseasons.  I think they can keep all 3 if they look at Wynn as more of a special teams guy.  Still, I don't see Hurns being cut or traded, so they've got some tough decisions to make with the roster moves.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Hurns wont get cut, he might get traded tho

and I cant see us keeping 7 WRs, Wynn will go to the PS, I doubt any team is gonna claim him and put him on their 53, same with Allen I dont think a team will claim him and put him on their 53.
<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

(This post was last modified: 09-01-2017, 10:14 AM by Bullseye.)

(09-01-2017, 09:59 AM)FBT Wrote:
(09-01-2017, 05:20 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Brian Sexton said last night on the broadcast and again on Jaguars.com that he thought Allen Hurns would not make the final 53.   I am stunned by this assertion.   I know we probably gave him too big a contract, but he has been one of our top 2 receivers the last few years, very reliable and clutch. 

I think he's un-tradeable because of the contract.   Is it really possible he gets cut?

There's a some speculation about this based on the fact that he didn't play again last night.  It's odd because none of the skill position starters played, so why they think it means something different for Hurns is beyond me. 

IMO, I don't think Hurns gets cut, and like you, I think his extension makes him a non-factor in any trade discussions.  They've got some decisions to make with the rookies because Westbrook, Wynn, and Cole have all had good preseasons.  I think they can keep all 3 if they look at Wynn as more of a special teams guy.  Still, I don't see Hurns being cut or traded, so they've got some tough decisions to make with the roster moves.

The way Boselli explained it this morning, you would hold Hurns out if you paid him a big contract, wanted to cut him, and didn't want to risk him getting hurt and being on the hook for the remainder of the contract.

I would be stunned if Hurns got cut.

(09-01-2017, 10:14 AM)Bullseye Wrote: The way Boselli explained it this morning, you would hold Hurns out if you paid him a big contract, wanted to cut him, and didn't want to risk him getting hurt and being on the hook for the remainder of the contract.

As would I. Just not going to happen.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(09-01-2017, 10:14 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(09-01-2017, 09:59 AM)FBT Wrote: There's a some speculation about this based on the fact that he didn't play again last night.  It's odd because none of the skill position starters played, so why they think it means something different for Hurns is beyond me. 

The way Boselli explained it this morning, you would hold Hurns out if you paid him a big contract, wanted to cut him, and didn't want to risk him getting hurt and being on the hook for the remainder of the contract.

I did hear Tony's comments this morning, and he's basically saying the same thing Sexton was saying last night.  It's certainly plausible that this is why he wasn't playing last night, but I think the more likely reasoning behind it was that he's one of the starters that they don't want injured in a meaningless final preseason game.  

Like you, I'd be really surprised if Hurns didn't make the final 53.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(This post was last modified: 09-01-2017, 11:29 AM by Bullseye.)

(09-01-2017, 10:13 AM)J-Mizzal Wrote: Hurns wont get cut, he might get traded tho

and I cant see us keeping 7 WRs, Wynn will go to the PS, I doubt any team is gonna claim him and put him on their 53, same with Allen I dont think a team will claim him and put him on their 53.

Trading Hurns would still be stunning, though more palatable than just flat out cutting him.

From a pure talent standpoint, keeping 7 WRs makes more sense than keeping the full allotment of TEs.

However, given that the team wants to pound the ball on the ground, we will need at least 3 TEs.

(09-01-2017, 10:46 AM)FBT Wrote:
(09-01-2017, 10:14 AM)Bullseye Wrote: The way Boselli explained it this morning, you would hold Hurns out if you paid him a big contract, wanted to cut him, and didn't want to risk him getting hurt and being on the hook for the remainder of the contract.

I did hear Tony's comments this morning, and he's basically saying the same thing Sexton was saying last night.  It's certainly plausible that this is why he wasn't playing last night, but I think the more likely reasoning behind it was that he's one of the starters that they don't want injured in a meaningless final preseason game.  

Like you, I'd be really surprised if Hurns didn't make the final 53.

If Hurns goes from the #2 WR to off the roster in one season without age, injury, or suspension being a factor, it would be one of the most amazing developments at one position I've seen in years, especially considering his production, no WR was chosen in the first three rounds, and no free agent WRs were signed.  Things like that don't happen often.

(09-01-2017, 09:05 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: If they cut Hurns then I'm done.

I'd like to hold you to this but I like you too much. I bet you a dollar you'll still be here no matter what (if we can't bet on the board, then forget the dollar, make it a rating point).
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

No matter what direction you come from, cutting Hurns just does not make sense. There is nothing to gain from it. Now a trade, perhaps, but I still don't see that being a thought at this point.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

Did this start as a BCC rumor?  Seriously.

At this point my guess is the only "locks" to make the final 53 might be (in no particular order):

Allen Robinson
Allen Hurns
Marquise Lee
Dede Westbrook
Keelan Cole

After that the remaining WR's are listed as follows (again in no particular order).

Arrelious Benn
Rashad Greene Sr.
Jamal Robinson
Kenneth Walker
Shane Wynn
Amba Etta-Tawo
Larry Pinkard

So assuming the team keeps 6 WR's one of those players makes the final 53.  No matter who the 6th player is, there isn't another player on that second list that would be an upgrade and/or a replacement for Hurns.  Of the players on that list I would consider either Rashad Greene or Shane Wynn (possible practice squad candidate).

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(09-01-2017, 08:13 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(09-01-2017, 07:52 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Mehhh. Hurns gets deemed that type of receiver a lot around here but I went through the numbers compared to Robinson and Lee and they're honestly all about the same. I think they could work Lee or Westbrook in the slot just fine. I think Lee probably has the best hands on this team in all honesty. Statistically speaking he's had the better catch% out of our big three. 

Or move Robinson around, which they should if they plan on shelling out top dollar for him. The elite receivers like Julio Jones line up EVERYWHERE on the field. Hope to see this offense get more creative in that regard soon.

Statistics aside, Hurns has consistently made some of the best catches I've seen from our receivers in recent years. In my mind, he has the best hands on the team without a doubt. I think we need that kind of big, possession receiver in the lineup. Personally, I don't get why some people are enamored with Lee. He has average size, average speed and average hands and he's injured a lot. I believe we could do without him, just fine.

About 1" separates their height and if Lee's speed is average, what do you consider Hurns' to be?

(09-01-2017, 07:11 AM)mvannostran Wrote: I don't see him being cut. I definitely wouldn't be surprised to see him traded though. His contract isn't THAT big, only $7mil for the next 2 years, then $8, then $10. That's not a lot in this cap era.

Exactly! I was just about to say something similar when I ran across this.
'02

This cutting Hurns talk is almost like putting a dog down that doesn't need to be put down.

What is the point of cutting a 1000yd receiver for unproven small Wynn, butterfingers Cole, and league hopper Arrelious Benn. Doesn't make sense to me, I will be livid with this FO if they follow through with this nonsense.

(09-01-2017, 02:21 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(09-01-2017, 07:11 AM)mvannostran Wrote: I don't see him being cut. I definitely wouldn't be surprised to see him traded though. His contract isn't THAT big, only $7mil for the next 2 years, then $8, then $10. That's not a lot in this cap era.

Exactly! I was just about to say something similar when I ran across this.

The thing is, what team is going to trade for him and at what cost?

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.