Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Hurns to be cut? Really?

Brian Sexton said last night on the broadcast and again on Jaguars.com that he thought Allen Hurns would not make the final 53.   I am stunned by this assertion.   I know we probably gave him too big a contract, but he has been one of our top 2 receivers the last few years, very reliable and clutch. 

I think he's un-tradeable because of the contract.   Is it really possible he gets cut?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

If this happens, our coaching staff and front office needs to be fired, (like they don't already). You don't cut talented players, because their contract is too big, when you are not having cap issues. That would be stupid and cheap and would make potential free agents think twice about signing here.

I wouldn't cut him but I'd be open to trading him we have a ton of depth at WR now. I'm not sure what his trade value would be but I would think some teams may value him high and think he had a bad year because of terrible QB play.

(09-01-2017, 05:39 AM)aarronburr Wrote: I wouldn't cut him but I'd be open to trading him we have a ton of depth at WR now. I'm not sure what his trade value would be but I would think some teams may value him high and think he had a bad year because of terrible QB play.

I don't think anyone will trade for him with that contract.  All our other receivers are tradeable, because they all have small contracts, but Hurns has that big contract that the other team would have to pick up.

(09-01-2017, 05:39 AM)aarronburr Wrote: I wouldn't cut him but I'd be open to trading him we have a ton of depth at WR now. I'm not sure what his trade value would be but I would think some teams may value him high and think he had a bad year because of terrible QB play.

As did all of our receivers. Allen Robinson was terrible last year and it seems most people are ready to give him a contract extension.

I don't think Hurns is getting cut, but I will go so far as to say I'd rather it be him than DeDe if I had to choose between the two. Wouldn't be an easy choice.

He is the 5th receiver and not a special teamer it is close. I would rather keep him though because he still has value on 3rd downs and if there are any injuries.

(09-01-2017, 06:27 AM)myrick31 Wrote: He is the 5th receiver and not a special teamer it is close. I would rather keep him though because he still has value on 3rd downs and if there are any injuries.

He's been a starter for the last 2 years.   How do you figure all of a sudden he's our 5th receiver?

Lee really surpassed him last year and then Westbrook and Cole came in. Lee has been listed as the starter for a while.

It's very possible. I said it about two or three weeks ago. Jeff Lageman was on 1010XL on his regular Tuesday sit down with the boys over there and he felt Hurns could very well be cut this pre-season. They didn't take a chance on Westbrook for no reason back in April and so far he's been playing lights out.

Even if it's against scrubs you would have to think at some point he's capable of getting into the primary line up and at least creating favorable match ups against certain corners. They have every intention of signing Lee and Robinson up to long term deals this year. Hurns is a good player. But between the injuries and the current cap hit maybe the front office feels he's not worth it overall.

This would have to be a Coughlin move or decision IMHO. Since Caldwell was the one who just did this deal last year for him.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 09-01-2017, 07:18 AM by imtheblkranger.)

I don't see him being cut. I definitely wouldn't be surprised to see him traded though. His contract isn't THAT big, only $7mil for the next 2 years, then $8, then $10. That's not a lot in this cap era.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Cut hurns to keep unproven players like cole and wynn on the roster. Thats dumb.

(09-01-2017, 06:41 AM)Caldrac Wrote: It's very possible. I said it about two or three weeks ago. Jeff Lageman was on 1010XL on his regular Tuesday sit down with the boys over there and he felt Hurns could very well be cut this pre-season. They didn't take a chance on Westbrook for no reason back in April and so far he's been playing lights out.

Even if it's against scrubs you would have to think at some point he's capable of getting into the primary line up and at least creating favorable match ups against certain corners. They have every intention of signing Lee and Robinson up to long term deals this year. Hurns is a good player. But between the injuries and the current cap hit maybe the front office feels he's not worth it overall.

This would have to be a Coughlin move or decision IMHO. Since Caldwell was the one who just did this deal last year for him.

But Westbrook and Hurns are totally different types of receivers. Hurns is a big, posession receiver and Westbrook is a quick, shifty slot receiver. If anything, I would think he would replace Lee.

(09-01-2017, 07:30 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(09-01-2017, 06:41 AM)Caldrac Wrote: It's very possible. I said it about two or three weeks ago. Jeff Lageman was on 1010XL on his regular Tuesday sit down with the boys over there and he felt Hurns could very well be cut this pre-season. They didn't take a chance on Westbrook for no reason back in April and so far he's been playing lights out.

But Westbrook and Hurns are totally different types of receivers. Hurns is a big, posession receiver and Westbrook is a quick, shifty slot receiver. If anything, I would think he would replace Lee.

Mehhh. Hurns gets deemed that type of receiver a lot around here but I went through the numbers compared to Robinson and Lee and they're honestly all about the same. I think they could work Lee or Westbrook in the slot just fine. I think Lee probably has the best hands on this team in all honesty. Statistically speaking he's had the better catch% out of our big three. 

Or move Robinson around, which they should if they plan on shelling out top dollar for him. The elite receivers like Julio Jones line up EVERYWHERE on the field. Hope to see this offense get more creative in that regard soon.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(09-01-2017, 07:52 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(09-01-2017, 07:30 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: But Westbrook and Hurns are totally different types of receivers. Hurns is a big, posession receiver and Westbrook is a quick, shifty slot receiver. If anything, I would think he would replace Lee.

Mehhh. Hurns gets deemed that type of receiver a lot around here but I went through the numbers compared to Robinson and Lee and they're honestly all about the same. I think they could work Lee or Westbrook in the slot just fine. I think Lee probably has the best hands on this team in all honesty. Statistically speaking he's had the better catch% out of our big three. 

Or move Robinson around, which they should if they plan on shelling out top dollar for him. The elite receivers like Julio Jones line up EVERYWHERE on the field. Hope to see this offense get more creative in that regard soon.

Statistics aside, Hurns has consistently made some of the best catches I've seen from our receivers in recent years. In my mind, he has the best hands on the team without a doubt. I think we need that kind of big, possession receiver in the lineup. Personally, I don't get why some people are enamored with Lee. He has average size, average speed and average hands and he's injured a lot. I believe we could do without him, just fine.

(09-01-2017, 08:13 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(09-01-2017, 07:52 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Mehhh. Hurns gets deemed that type of receiver a lot around here but I went through the numbers compared to Robinson and Lee and they're honestly all about the same. I think they could work Lee or Westbrook in the slot just fine. I think Lee probably has the best hands on this team in all honesty. Statistically speaking he's had the better catch% out of our big three. 

Statistics aside, Hurns has consistently made some of the best catches I've seen from our receivers in recent years. In my mind, he has the best hands on the team without a doubt. I think we need that kind of big, possession receiver in the lineup. Personally, I don't get why some people are enamored with Lee. He has average size, average speed and average hands and he's injured a lot. I believe we could do without him, just fine.
Keep 7 receivers and dump henne

(09-01-2017, 08:15 AM)JAGFAN88 Wrote:
(09-01-2017, 08:13 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Statistics aside, Hurns has consistently made some of the best catches I've seen from our receivers in recent years. In my mind, he has the best hands on the team without a doubt. I think we need that kind of big, possession receiver in the lineup. Personally, I don't get why some people are enamored with Lee. He has average size, average speed and average hands and he's injured a lot. I believe we could do without him, just fine.
Keep 7 receivers and dump henne

I would dump Henne whether or not we kept 6 or 7 WR's.

Hurns is the type of guy that comes back to haunt you after you cut him.

Hurns will not be cut unless they know his injury will keep him out.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

Hurns is guaranteed his whole salary 7 mil. even if we cut him. Next year we can cut him and it would be no dead money. Hurns isn't getting cit