Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Las Vegas Shooting

(10-02-2017, 03:39 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(10-02-2017, 12:38 PM)Frailbones Wrote: I don't think anyone is arguing that this dude is a stable person.

I think what most people want is to make it harder for everyone to buy guns. Not take away your guns but lets make it very difficult to get them. Even if it deters one crazy person from buying a gun because it's that hard, it's worth it.

Buying illegal guns will still happen but I have no clue where to buy them. Couldn't even tell you where to start. This guy most likely didn't buy his off the street.

What harm is done by attempting to limit the amount of guns a person can legally buy and having it become harder to buy a gun?

In NC it is not easy peasy to buy a gun of any kind. You go to a gun show and you will sit there and wait for them to do a background check on you. And since you're not the only one there to buy a gun, you'll be there for a while. After there were many robberies in our area several years ago we went to a local gun/pawn shop to buy a shotgun and had to wait for a background check there as well. Private gun sales are another matter. Unless the seller is super careful and does a background check on the buyer, that is an easier way to get one.

Each state has different laws. It may be easier to get one in FL or NV than in NC.
Wouldn't this be a great place to start?

Why do people even need semi automatic or automatic weapons? Why are they trying to legalize silencers? How come some people on the no fly list can own a gun or people with mental illnesses?

Saying "Welp. He was just a bad guy. Nothing we can do about that." seems really weak in my opinion. I'm not saying to take away anyones guns so calm down but I'm saying that just sitting back and doing nothing doesn't seem to work.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(10-03-2017, 08:26 AM)Frailbones Wrote:
(10-02-2017, 03:39 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: In NC it is not easy peasy to buy a gun of any kind. You go to a gun show and you will sit there and wait for them to do a background check on you. And since you're not the only one there to buy a gun, you'll be there for a while. After there were many robberies in our area several years ago we went to a local gun/pawn shop to buy a shotgun and had to wait for a background check there as well. Private gun sales are another matter. Unless the seller is super careful and does a background check on the buyer, that is an easier way to get one.

Each state has different laws. It may be easier to get one in FL or NV than in NC.

Why do people even need semi automatic or automatic weapons? Why are they trying to legalize silencers? How come some people on the no fly list can own a gun or people with mental illnesses?

Saying "Welp. He was just a bad guy. Nothing we can do about that." seems really weak in my opinion. I'm not saying to take away anyones guns so calm down but I'm saying that just sitting back and doing nothing doesn't seem to work.

If we bomb North Korea and the Chinese and Russians decide that's an act of aggression by the United States, we could get invaded ala Red Dawn. Another possibility is that if Trump at the end of his presidency decides to pull a "Putnin" and refuses to leave office, giving himself another title like "King of the Free World" and decides to declare martial law (which is a distinct possibility.) These are situations in which average citizens need to be armed to fight potential armies much more powerful than they are. They want firearms that give them a fighting chance. Like I said a few posts ago, 99.99% of people who own these types of guns are completely law abiding citizens. They have their reasons for wanting this type of guns. Just because one nut job does something terrible, doesn't mean everyone has to get punished. I'm all for more restrictions when it comes to getting a gun, especially when it comes to keeping them out of the hands of the mentally ill (even though I doubt it will work,) but banning certain weapons that are now legal is pointless. There way are too many out there anyway. What would you do about them? Try to take them away from people that paid for them when they were legal to own? That's paramount to theft. That wouldn't go over well. 

As far as the issue of silencers, ownership of guns by people on the no-fly list and people with mental issues, you're completely right. This should be a no-brainer. They should all be banned, but unfortunately, the NRA is one of the most powerful lobbying forces in the United States and they have deep pockets. They've bought off so many politicians that we'd basically have to "clean house" and start over if we want a chance at real change. As long as there is greed and dirty politicians, the NRA wields all the power. Get rid of the influence of the NRA and then, we might get some reasonable gun laws in place.

23 guns seems excessive and unnecessary for one person to perpetrate what he did. Even if he thought 1 or more guns might jam, having just a few extras should have been sufficient in his mind to ensure he could keep firing. He lugged 23 guns to the 32nd floor so 20 of them (or however many sat unfired) could just sit there? It's been reported that he had two rifles fitted with bump stocks to simulate the action of an automatic rifle. I didn't hear much if any single fire shots on any of the audio so he was probably primarily using one of the bump stock rifles or alternating between the two. Sounds to me like there's a possibility he might have expected to have some help that may not have shown.

(This post was last modified: 10-03-2017, 09:30 AM by MalabarJag.)

(10-03-2017, 08:26 AM)Frailbones Wrote:
(10-02-2017, 03:39 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: In NC it is not easy peasy to buy a gun of any kind. You go to a gun show and you will sit there and wait for them to do a background check on you. And since you're not the only one there to buy a gun, you'll be there for a while. After there were many robberies in our area several years ago we went to a local gun/pawn shop to buy a shotgun and had to wait for a background check there as well. Private gun sales are another matter. Unless the seller is super careful and does a background check on the buyer, that is an easier way to get one.

Combining automatic and semi-automatic is a misstatement of the Left, usually by media pundits who don't know the difference, but sometimes an intentional distortion by those who do.

To answer your questions:

New sales of automatic weapons have been banned since 1986. One can buy a used one, but they are very expensive and require a permit with a rigorous background check. They are basically just collector's items, and I doubt there was a legit automatic weapon used Sunday night.

Semi-automatic is just a convenient way of loading the next round. If you had to stop and load a round every time you fired the weapon wouldn't be very useful for self defense. A revolver, which is not semi-automatic, also does this, and the net result is no different.

The no-fly list is created by unaccountable government officials. A person put on the no-fly list is not told at the time and has no means of appeal. Lots of people have appeared on the list who shouldn't have, including Ted Kennedy and Cat Stevens. It should not be used for deciding who does and who doesn't have Second Amendment rights.

Mentally ill people are already banned from purchasing guns. The problem here is that a lot of mental illness goes undiagnosed. Forcing every citizen to undergo regularly scheduled mental health exams is not constitutional either.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(This post was last modified: 10-03-2017, 09:31 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(10-03-2017, 09:08 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:  Like I said a few posts ago, 99.99% of people who own these types of guns are completely law abiding citizens. They have their reasons for wanting this type of guns. Just because one nut job does something terrible, doesn't mean everyone has to get punished.

99.99999999% of plane travelers are law abiding citizens.  Why should we have security check?  Why should I be punished and have to wait 30 minutes in line each time I take a flight because there is one nut job killing people.

(10-03-2017, 09:28 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(10-03-2017, 09:08 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:  Like I said a few posts ago, 99.99% of people who own these types of guns are completely law abiding citizens. They have their reasons for wanting this type of guns. Just because one nut job does something terrible, doesn't mean everyone has to get punished.

99.99999999% of plane travelers are law abiding citizens.  Why should we have security check?  Why should I be punished and have to wait 30 minutes in line each time I take a flight because there is one nut job killing people.
Why can't we bring our guns that we use for "self defense" on the plane?

(10-03-2017, 10:05 AM)Frailbones Wrote:
(10-03-2017, 09:28 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:

Why can't we bring our guns that we use for "self defense" on the plane?

Because a bullet can breach the airplane wall and cause explosive decompression.

But you knew that and were just trolling.

In reality, as opposed to mindless fear the government has encouraged, there is no way a 9/11 style attack would work today. Everyone on the plane will know that they have to fight back or die. Sure, check for guns and explosives, but it shouldn't take 30 minutes.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(10-03-2017, 01:12 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(10-03-2017, 12:29 AM)jseymour Wrote: Number of guns in irrelevant. Many collectors have many more. There is and should be no limit on how many guns you can own. If I see a gun I like I buy it. I own different guns for different styles of carry.
For a hotel room isn't that odd? I can understand having a large gun collection just seems weird that a lone gunman would have that many in the hotel room. 

I can't recall a lone gunman attack where they had that much guns in his direct vicinity.

I'm pretty sure he didn't just travel around regularly with 23 guns, thousands of rounds of ammo, dozens of high capacity magazines, and tripods.  He was armed for this attack.  This wasn't a spur of the moment thing.  So, it's not really odd considering his plan.  It's odd for someone rational, but that's not what we're dealing with here.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(10-03-2017, 09:21 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: 23 guns seems excessive and unnecessary for one person to perpetrate what he did.  Even if he thought 1 or more guns might jam, having just a few extras should have been sufficient in his mind to ensure he could keep firing. He lugged 23 guns to the 32nd floor so 20 of them (or however many sat unfired) could just sit there?  It's been reported that he had two rifles fitted with bump stocks to simulate the action of an automatic rifle. I didn't hear much if any single fire shots on any of the audio so he was probably primarily using one of the bump stock rifles or alternating between the two.  Sounds to me like there's a possibility he might have expected to have some help that may not have shown.
Not all of the guns they found were rifles.  So, not all of them were intended to be used to shoot at the concert crowd.  We don't know how many weapons he actually fired during the time he was actively attacking the crowd.  As quickly as these weapons cycled through a magazine, it's pretty likely he used several weapons before reloading and starting over.

It doesn't sound like there's a grand conspiracy here at all, but we'll have to wait and see what evidence they dig up.  On the face of it, it looks like some lunatic who just snapped and decided to unleash hell on innocent victims.  There's  been no motive released, or any kind of explanation for this.  I think he was stockpiled with weapons hoping to have enough time to use as many as possible, and in that regard, he was tragically successful.

So far they've reported that 2 of the rifles had bump stocks.  That's not to say that he had not converted any of the other rifles he had in the room to be fully automatic.  This was a guy who had the financial resources to do this any way he saw fit unfortunately.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

(10-03-2017, 10:57 AM)FBT Wrote:
(10-03-2017, 09:21 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: 23 guns seems excessive and unnecessary for one person to perpetrate what he did.  Even if he thought 1 or more guns might jam, having just a few extras should have been sufficient in his mind to ensure he could keep firing. He lugged 23 guns to the 32nd floor so 20 of them (or however many sat unfired) could just sit there?  It's been reported that he had two rifles fitted with bump stocks to simulate the action of an automatic rifle. I didn't hear much if any single fire shots on any of the audio so he was probably primarily using one of the bump stock rifles or alternating between the two.  Sounds to me like there's a possibility he might have expected to have some help that may not have shown.
Not all of the guns they found were rifles.  So, not all of them were intended to be used to shoot at the concert crowd.  We don't know how many weapons he actually fired during the time he was actively attacking the crowd.  As quickly as these weapons cycled through a magazine, it's pretty likely he used several weapons before reloading and starting over.

It doesn't sound like there's a grand conspiracy here at all, but we'll have to wait and see what evidence they dig up.  On the face of it, it looks like some lunatic who just snapped and decided to unleash hell on innocent victims.  There's  been no motive released, or any kind of explanation for this.  I think he was stockpiled with weapons hoping to have enough time to use as many as possible, and in that regard, he was tragically successful.

So far they've reported that 2 of the rifles had bump stocks.  That's not to say that he had not converted any of the other rifles he had in the room to be fully automatic.  This was a guy who had the financial resources to do this any way he saw fit unfortunately.
What are bump stocks? Are these things anyone can purchase outright or are they hard to come by?

(This post was last modified: 10-03-2017, 11:20 AM by B2hibry.)

There appear to be some big pieces missing in all this. I believe this guy was planning on having an individual or individuals help. Just too many weapons to make any sense and a heck of a lot of ammo. In addition, has anyone seen the video with what appears to be gunfire coming from the 12th-floor area with accompanying sound? That same video shows zero muzzle flash from the floor/windows where he was said to be.

(10-03-2017, 11:01 AM)Frailbones Wrote:
(10-03-2017, 10:57 AM)FBT Wrote: Not all of the guns they found were rifles.  So, not all of them were intended to be used to shoot at the concert crowd.  We don't know how many weapons he actually fired during the time he was actively attacking the crowd.  As quickly as these weapons cycled through a magazine, it's pretty likely he used several weapons before reloading and starting over.

What are bump stocks? Are these things anyone can purchase outright or are they hard to come by?

Bumpstocks are easy to come by but they are gimmicky at best, especially if you are trying to target a specific area with any accuracy. The bump fire stock cannot be shouldered or supported by a tripod. It just won't work. It requires shooters forced muscle feedback against the recoil.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(10-03-2017, 11:16 AM)B2hibry Wrote: There appear to be some big pieces missing in all this. I believe this guy was planning on having an individual or individuals help. Just too many weapons to make any sense and a heck of a lot of ammo. In addition, has anyone seen the video with what appears to be gunfire coming from the 12th-floor area with accompanying sound? That same video shows zero muzzle flash from the floor/windows where he was said to be.

I haven't seen any video, but unless someone blew out windows on the 12th floor area of the building to open fire, that seems unlikely. As far as muzzle fire is concerned, I wouldn't read too much into that. Depending on where he was shooting from in the room, you might not actually see it, and with the quality of cell phone cameras over long range, it simply may not have been picked up.

As far as the number of weapons/amount of ammunition he had in the room, I don't see this as evidence of a grander conspiracy.  Automatic weapons can fire anywhere from 400-800 rounds a minute.  It wouldn't take very long to blow through thousands of rounds of ammo, and having multiple weapons loaded and ready to go would speed up the process of sustaining the fire for longer before needing to reload.  He wouldn't need any assistance to work his way through his cache of rifles pretty quickly, and this entire incident went on for a long time.

(This post was last modified: 10-03-2017, 11:33 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

.... now they're talking about legalizing silencers

Just watched Tucker Carlson last night and he had a guy on there stating how easy it was to take a convert a semi-automatic weapon into a fully automatic weapon.  He stated that he will not inform one how to do this but anyone can see it on youtube.

unfortunately, I can only see this getting worse.

(10-03-2017, 11:01 AM)Frailbones Wrote:
(10-03-2017, 10:57 AM)FBT Wrote: Not all of the guns they found were rifles.  So, not all of them were intended to be used to shoot at the concert crowd.  We don't know how many weapons he actually fired during the time he was actively attacking the crowd.  As quickly as these weapons cycled through a magazine, it's pretty likely he used several weapons before reloading and starting over.

It's a reciprocating stock that allows a gun to be fired in succession more quickly.  It's not fully automatic, and there's variation in the rate of fire based on the amount of pressure the shooter is applying, but it can fire a lot of ammo very quickly.  How it works is the stock is replaced on a semi automatic rifle.  The bump slide fire stock responds to the recoil of the rifle.  The shooter pulls on the barrel end of the rifle and with more pressure, the gun will fire more rapidly. I've never fired one, but a buddy of mine has one on one of his rifles, and he can burn through a 30 round mag in less than maybe 5 seconds.  There's a finger bar you rest your trigger finger on, and the stock does the rest basically hitting the trigger more rapidly.

They can be purchased from just about any gun dealer and have been around for years for under $300.  Some go as cheap as maybe $125 or so.

(10-03-2017, 11:32 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: .... now they're talking about legalizing silencers

Just watched Tucker Carlson last night and he had a guy on there stating how easy it was to take a convert a semi-automatic weapon into a fully automatic weapon.  He stated that he will not inform one how to do this but anyone can see it on youtube.

I enjoyed the debate between the guy who said we need more counter snipers vs the guy who said all hotels should have bag checks. If the country ever gets to a place where they are doing bag checks in hotels, that isn't good.

(10-03-2017, 11:32 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: .... now they're talking about legalizing silencers

Suppressors are already legal.  You can walk into Shooters today and check out their selection.  They had nothing to do with this incident.

It sounds like the shooter didn't actually convert his weapon to fully automatic, so even this is irrelevant at this point.  All reports say (and pictures of at least 2 of the rifles confirm) he used a bump slide stock.  Not an automatic conversion, but it does allow for more rapid fire.  That's been around for several years.  This is the first time anyone has ever even mentioned it in the media.

While it is easy to increase the rate of fire in a semi-auto rifle, it is not as easy to make them full auto. It isn't something that you can knock out in 5 minutes without some machining. They just aren't manufactured to allow for the simple swapping in of parts. Not to mention, the sear required for full auto is considered a weapon itself and subject to a NFA tax stamp and the full background gamut.

Silencers aren't some dangerous James Bond murder weapon!

(10-03-2017, 11:51 AM)B2hibry Wrote:

While it is easy to increase the rate of fire in a semi-auto rifle, it is not as easy to make them full auto. It isn't something that you can knock out in 5 minutes without some machining. They just aren't manufactured to allow for the simple swapping in of parts. Not to mention, the sear required for full auto is considered a weapon itself and subject to a NFA tax stamp and the full background gamut.

Why sell them at all though?

(10-03-2017, 11:57 AM)Frailbones Wrote:
(10-03-2017, 11:51 AM)B2hibry Wrote: While it is easy to increase the rate of fire in a semi-auto rifle, it is not as easy to make them full auto. It isn't something that you can knock out in 5 minutes without some machining. They just aren't manufactured to allow for the simple swapping in of parts. Not to mention, the sear required for full auto is considered a weapon itself and subject to a NFA tax stamp and the full background gamut.

Why sell them at all though?

Hearing protection when hunting or plinking. It doesn't get rid of the noise it just lowers the volume below a db level that won't cause permanent damage. It's still quite loud with ammo that isn't sub-sonic.

(10-03-2017, 11:47 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:

I enjoyed the debate between the guy who said we need more counter snipers vs the guy who said all hotels should have bag checks. If the country ever gets to a place where they are doing bag checks in hotels, that isn't good.

Totally agree.  Can't do bag checks but planting undercover counter-snipers and agents at crowded events sounds like the best path forward.  Heck, we already place undercover agents on planes and nobody even knows the added protection is in place.

The live-in girlfriend needs to be interrogated.  42 guns and bomb making ingredients can simply go overlooked; probably why she timed her trip to Japan for this week.