Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Las Vegas Shooting

(10-03-2017, 10:50 AM)FBT Wrote:
(10-03-2017, 01:12 AM)JackCity Wrote: For a hotel room isn't that odd? I can understand having a large gun collection just seems weird that a lone gunman would have that many in the hotel room. 

I can't recall a lone gunman attack where they had that much guns in his direct vicinity.

I'm pretty sure he didn't just travel around regularly with 23 guns, thousands of rounds of ammo, dozens of high capacity magazines, and tripods.  He was armed for this attack.  This wasn't a spur of the moment thing.  So, it's not really odd considering his plan.  It's odd for someone rational, but that's not what we're dealing with here.

Yeah I know it seems kinda backwards to attribute rational decision making to a guy like him but just from a practical standpoint that seemed odd to me. Then again lord knows what he had planned to do had he not being found.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

My current theory is that he had a psychotic episode. His father was described by the FBI as a psychotic. So mental illness runs in the family. Since there is currently no better explanation, I would take a wild guess that he was afflicted with a mental disorder that showed up quite suddenly. Living a normal life, and then all of a sudden, flips out and decides to go to Vegas and shoot a bunch of people.

My alternative really off the wall theory is that he didn't actually do it. He was taken hostage by ISIS or someone else who did the shooting, and then they "suicided" him and made their escape, leaving him to take the blame.

Hammer visible for window, 5.56 spent rounds all over the floor, a .308 AR-10 with scope and bi-pod that doesn't appear to have been used based on scope caps in place and type of casings on the floor, although the selector on the AR-10 is in the "fire" position with bolt closed ready to go. Looking at the Ar-15, it has a bump mechanism, red-dot, and clearly not worried about accuracy. I can also say that based on the flash suppressors that you would definitely see muzzle flash if anywhere near the window. Lastly, that AR-15 barrel got hot (discolored)!
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(10-03-2017, 12:40 PM)B2hibry Wrote:

I can also say that based on the flash suppressors that you would definitely see muzzle flash if anywhere near the window. Lastly, that AR-15 barrel got hot (discolored)!

I listened to the radio traffic from the officers responding there. The muzzle flash is the reason they found him. They saw the flashes from the window and coordinated the response to the correct floor. I think all the lighting on the building made it difficult for the concert-goers to figure out where it was coming from.

(This post was last modified: 10-03-2017, 01:16 PM by Jaguarmeister.)

I can see multiple hand guns being brought up and positioned around the room. I'm sure he was paranoid that the authorities might have been on to him and he probably wanted to be prepared for the door being bashed in at any moment. If there are say 4 or more rifles up there, I'd have serious questions as to why because the plan of another person or persons taking part would make as much sense, if not more, as anything else.

Dude planned this out and reserved a sniper's nest of a room with a perfect view of an outdoor concert event where he could deal maximum damage. This "he snapped" narrative doesn't sound right to me. He had to have had a rationale for what he did. People that snap don't plan something out like this. People that snap get fired from their job and go home and come right back with a gun and start shooting. Sure he was crazy as is anyone who decides to become a mass shooter/murderer, but he was sane enough to plan all this out (I'm guessing months in advance) and implement it perfectly. I'll be very interested in the details that surface in the coming days as I'm sure most are.

(This post was last modified: 10-03-2017, 01:20 PM by TJBender.)

I'll jump in late with a few thoughts. One, we cannot ever allow the people of this country to lose the right to bear arms. We can, however, and should, place limitations on the right in terms of the number and type of arms allowed. We should increase penalties for gun crime as well, and not just for the perps. Your kid uses your gun to shoot up a school and kill ten people? Here, have ten counts of manslaughter leveled against your for your negligence in failing to secure the firearm.

I will never, never, NEVER support use of mysterious government watch lists to deprive someone of any right without due process, and neither should you.

I don't understand why a private citizen needs a fully automatic weapon or a suppressor/silencer, nor do I understand the need for a dozen guns or thousands of rounds of stockpiled ammunition. I can be swayed on this point, but I do believe that outlawing fully automatic weapons, limiting the quantity of weapons that can be owned and the amount of ammunition that can be owned are good ideas. "A registry is the first step towards confiscation," I've heard it many times and I don't disagree, but I don't see a better way to enforce what seems to me to be common sense legislation.

We can't stop gun violence, and any attempt to do so would result in an unacceptable forfeiture of rights. We can mitigate it, and that has to be the focus. Make it harder to do and easier to bring to an end when it occurs.

(10-03-2017, 08:09 AM)My Desired Display Name Wrote: Just heard fox news say "we don't even know enough about him to hate him".  Then tried to ham fist something about prayer in school

Off topic, I just ruined my work computer, your profile pic is hilarious.
Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

(10-03-2017, 01:21 PM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote:
(10-03-2017, 08:09 AM)My Desired Display Name Wrote: Just heard fox news say "we don't even know enough about him to hate him".  Then tried to ham fist something about prayer in school

Off topic, I just ruined my work computer, your profile pic is hilarious.

Ruined your work computer, eh?

[Image: 1526371-trump.gif]

(This post was last modified: 10-03-2017, 02:13 PM by Jamies_fried_chicken.)

Alright here are my thoughts on this.

I am pro bear arms, however their is a serious problem with gun violence and how it coincides with mental illness, and schizophrenia every time a mass shooting occur.

Here are my feelings on gun control and what needs to be done to improve it. First there needs to be a federal ban on semi automatic assault weapons, pump rifles with a limitation on shotguns. Limit the number of guns a person can own. A person does not need to own no more than 2 handguns for protection and 2 for hunting purposes. limit the amount of ammo a gun owner can buy and store in a 24 month period, noone should stockpile ammunition that can last them years. Ex. A S&W carries 9 clips, whatever you use during that year you would have to wait until next year to get some more unless you fire the weapon in the case of a possible crime (police report would need to be on hand) for an exemption.

Limit the amount of guns a manufacturer can produce, ship to, and sell in the U.S. Impose a higher sales tax, maybe like 25% of all gun sales, 30% for ammo. Any gun owner who commits a first time violent offense whether its a misdemeanor or felony automatically forfeits their right to own any gun of any kind. If a person who has never committed a offense begins taking medication that alters a person's mental state they automatically lose their gun rights. Strengthen background checks to where a gun seller must provide the federal government all access to his inventory and view what he has sold to and to whom.

Also im very curious as to why this hasn't been ruled a terrorist act. There are multiple reports stating Paddock wired 100,000 to the Phillipines.
Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

Marilou Danley seems suspicious. She and Paddock started dating in Spring, 2017, so less than 6 months together. Last week he wired $100,000 to her account in the Philippines. And she was out of the country when the shooting happened, giving her a very nice alibi.

I cant believe im agreeing with Byron

(This post was last modified: 10-03-2017, 02:41 PM by The Drifter.)

(10-03-2017, 02:09 PM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote: Alright here are my thoughts on this.

I am pro bear arms, however their is a serious problem with gun violence and how it coincides with mental illness, and schizophrenia every time a mass shooting occur.

Here are my feelings on gun control and what needs to be done to improve it. First there needs to be a federal ban on semi automatic assault weapons, pump rifles with a limitation on shotguns. Limit the number of guns a person can own. A person does not need to own no more than 2 handguns for protection and 2 for hunting purposes. limit the amount of ammo a gun owner can buy and store in a 24 month period, noone should stockpile ammunition that can last them years. Ex. A S&W carries 9 clips, whatever you use during that year you would have to wait until next year to get some more unless you fire the weapon in the case of a possible crime (police report would need to be on hand) for an exemption.

Limit the amount of guns a manufacturer can produce, ship to, and sell in the U.S. Impose a higher sales tax, maybe like 25% of all gun sales, 30% for ammo. Any gun owner who commits a first time violent offense whether its a misdemeanor or felony automatically forfeits their right to own any gun of any kind. If a person who has never committed a offense begins taking medication that alters a person's mental state they automatically lose their gun rights.  Strengthen background checks to where a gun seller must provide the federal government all access to his inventory and view what he has sold to and to whom.

Also im very curious as to why this hasn't been ruled a terrorist act. There are multiple reports stating Paddock wired 100,000 to the Phillipines.

All of what you're suggesting just puts already more restrictions on Legal gun owners. I strongly disagree with you on all your points. The constitution say nothing about limiting the amount of firearms we can own. If I want to own 100 guns, it's my right to do so. What about sport shooters, should they be limited on how much ammo they can buy? I say no, I can pop off 100+ rounds easy in one session at the range. Limiting manufacture, You're talking like a commie now. More taxes on guns and ammo.... No Way, the fees we pay just to hunt are enough of a tax. And Taking medication to take away their right to bear arms? There is such a thing as due process in this country, Innocent until proven guilty. And a felon is automatically barred from owning a firearm so that point is moot. As far as gun dealers giving access to the feds, that already exist, the paperwork involved is massive. My cousin owns a pawn shop that sells firearms and I know what paperwork is needed to be filed

None of what you suggest is even workable in practice. There are always ways around what you suggest. Ever hear of the Black market? I guarantee you that's where 99.99% of the firearms used illegally come from. So, You're welcome to try to take any firearms I have over the number you suggest, My advice would be have your affairs in order and your funeral planned.
Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution."

(10-03-2017, 02:23 PM)Byron LeftTown Wrote: Marilou Danley seems suspicious.  She and Paddock started dating in Spring, 2017, so less than 6 months together.  Last week he wired $100,000 to her account in the Philippines.  And she was out of the country when the shooting happened, giving her a very nice alibi.
Whoa.

Where did you read this? This is nuts.

This whole thing stinks...

If he was planning on bumpfiring ARs for a while he needed a few as the barrels would get hot and destroy themselves.

I was actually looking forward to the suppressor legislation finally moving forward. Hillary exclaimed "What if he had a silencer!?" It would have melted and stopped the damn shooting.

I'm not getting any younger, I still enjoy shooting and don't want to have to wear ear muffs in 90 degree heat to do it. That's why I want a suppressor without all the BS hoops to jump though.

You can make a full auto sear out of hacksaw blades, is it legal? No. Neither is murder but, that law doesn't work.
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

(10-03-2017, 02:09 PM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote: Alright here are my thoughts on this.

Limit the amount of guns a manufacturer can produce, ship to, and sell in the U.S. Impose a higher sales tax, maybe like 25% of all gun sales, 30% for ammo. Any gun owner who commits a first time violent offense whether its a misdemeanor or felony automatically forfeits their right to own any gun of any kind. If a person who has never committed a offense begins taking medication that alters a person's mental state they automatically lose their gun rights.  Strengthen background checks to where a gun seller must provide the federal government all access to his inventory and view what he has sold to and to whom.

Who are you to say what I do or don't need? I absolutely refuse to give you, the government, or anyone else that much say in my life.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

I saw the reporting of $100,000 being wired recently to an account in the Phillipines, but they stopped short of saying the account had Danley's name on it. Has this been confirmed?

(10-03-2017, 08:26 AM)Frailbones Wrote:
(10-02-2017, 03:39 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: In NC it is not easy peasy to buy a gun of any kind. You go to a gun show and you will sit there and wait for them to do a background check on you. And since you're not the only one there to buy a gun, you'll be there for a while. After there were many robberies in our area several years ago we went to a local gun/pawn shop to buy a shotgun and had to wait for a background check there as well. Private gun sales are another matter. Unless the seller is super careful and does a background check on the buyer, that is an easier way to get one.

Each state has different laws. It may be easier to get one in FL or NV than in NC.
Wouldn't this be a great place to start?

Why do people even need semi automatic or automatic weapons? Why are they trying to legalize silencers? How come some people on the no fly list can own a gun or people with mental illnesses?

Saying "Welp. He was just a bad guy. Nothing we can do about that." seems really weak in my opinion. I'm not saying to take away anyones guns so calm down but I'm saying that just sitting back and doing nothing doesn't seem to work.

It's up to a private gun owner to decide how they want to handle a transaction.  There's additional cost involved for Joe Q Public to run a federal background check on someone.  In most instances with private sales, the sellers usually ask for documentation showing the buyer is properly permitted.  That is a good indication that someone has had the necessary background checks.  If they don't have it, no sale.  Most gun violence is perpetrated by people who aren't going through legal channels to get a weapon, so you can pile on more regulations that will only punish the law abiding people.  It's not going to fix a damn thing.

Do you even know what a semi-automatic weapon is?  If you do, and you think it's unnecessary for someone to own one, what's your suggestion?  Ball and musket?  Seriously.  All a semi-automatic weapon is is a gun that loads a round into the chamber and discharges the shell afterwards.  Even in a revolver, the gun advances to the next round automatically.  It just doesn't discharge the casing.  There's nothing about a semi-automatic weapon that should be considered unnecessary.  It helps tremendously with self defense.  They are arguably some of the safest and most reliable guns you can purchase from a shooter's perspective.  If I need to discharge my weapon, I don't want to stop, load the gun powder and ball, punch in the wadding, drop in the flint, and then shoot.  I want to lock a bead on my target and fire.  In my case, I'll be doing so with custom trigger pulls that allow me the ability to fire with more speed and precision.  Don't want any stray bullets.

As far as silencers go, they're legal in just about every state.  In some countries outside of the US, they're actually required for firearms.  As someone who goes to ranges quite a bit, I'd love to have a suppressor on my guns because it reduces the need for ear protection, and it actually assists with the improved accuracy.  It also makes it much easier to hear what's going on around you in an active situation.  Anyone who has fired a gun without ear protection is well aware of the way it impacts your hearing immediately afterward.  That's reduced significantly with a silencer.

Short of banning all guns, all you can do is say that this guy flew under the radar with background checks and didn't seek any help with mental health issues that would have put up big flags preventing him from purchasing weapons.  The guy was supposedly an avid hunter who had a pretty robust cache of weapons.  That's not unusual.  Neither is having thousands of rounds of ammunition.  I buy it any time I see it on sale somewhere, especially range ammo.  I've probably got close to 3-4,000 rounds stored right now.  A good day at the range will burn through a quarter of that, especially if I bring my wife, daughter, and her boyfriend along.

Sometimes crazy people do bad things.  If we ban every possible method of doing harm to others, you couldn't drive, cut a steak, drive a nail, or do anything that might be able to used to injure others.  If someone has a will to do harm, they'll find a way.  If no gun is available, they move on to knives, pressure cookers, fertilizer, rope, or a UHaul rental.  What else do you want to regulate?
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Still looking for more details on Danley. She was a "High-Limit Hostess" at a casino. Prostitution is legal in Vegas, so a High-Limit Hostess would be someone who induces a winning player to stay in the hotel and keep gambling. Or maybe she hooks up with certain regular guests and that's the reason they choose one casino over another.

So, Paddock is lonely and rich. He has very simple tastes. Eats at Taco Bell, has absolutely no decorations in his house, just a few basic pieces of furniture - a bed, a couple of recliners, a kitchen table. So the big gun collection doesn't really fit his profile. Neighbor said he had a giant safe in the garage. That also seems kinda fishy because of the high temperatures. Why not have the safe in the air-conditioned house? Because he wasn't really a gun guy. He was storing them short-term for this planned attack. He apparently had 4 identical high-end ARs from Daniel Defense. Could just be a bored rich guy spending money, but it doesn't have the typical traits of somebody pursuing an interest or hobby. A doomsday prepper might want identical ARs to use in a small family group, but Paddock showed no other signs of being a prepper.

Where does Danley fit in? She sure travels a lot. I think I read she was in Dubai? Why would she be there? How about the time frame? Was he buying all these guns before or after he met her? Could an old doofus like Paddock really get radicalized over some middle-aged tang?

(10-03-2017, 11:32 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: .... now they're talking about legalizing silencers

Just watched Tucker Carlson last night and he had a guy on there stating how easy it was to take a convert a semi-automatic weapon into a fully automatic weapon.  He stated that he will not inform one how to do this but anyone can see it on youtube.

unfortunately, I can only see this getting worse.

Silencers are already used. They can be made very easily. A "Ghetto Silencer" can be fashioned by duct taping a plastic pop bottle to the end of a barrel. They even show how they are constructed on television shows. The only reason to use a silencer is if you are carrying out a hit on someone.

(10-03-2017, 03:37 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(10-03-2017, 11:32 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: .... now they're talking about legalizing silencers

Just watched Tucker Carlson last night and he had a guy on there stating how easy it was to take a convert a semi-automatic weapon into a fully automatic weapon.  He stated that he will not inform one how to do this but anyone can see it on youtube.

unfortunately, I can only see this getting worse.

Silencers are already used. They can be made very easily. A "Ghetto Silencer" can be fashioned by duct taping a plastic pop bottle to the end of a barrel. They even show how they are constructed on television shows. The only reason to use a silencer is if you are carrying out a hit on someone.

Wow really? I'm now an aspiring mob hitman.

I thought the girlfriend was in Tokyo....Also Prostitution is legal in Nevada, illegal in Vegas.

Dude apparently filmed it.
http://nypost.com/2017/10/03/las-vegas-g...slaughter/
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]