Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles Article: How to Win Without a Quarterback

(This post was last modified: 10-12-2017, 08:14 PM by Upper.)

(10-12-2017, 11:10 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: LOL

I watched every game multiple times, sparky. I made notes on Blake's garbage time production. It was discussed here ad nauseum. Clearly you missed that. 

The exact grand total of everything Blake did when a game was out of reach in 2015 was 397 passing yards and 5 touchdowns. 
That means he threw for 4031 yards and 30 TDs in games that were either won, or were close late in the game. 

You need to know the difference between garbage time and playing from behind. The numbers don't tell the whole story on Blake's poor performance in many of those games and there's tons to critique, but your garbage time claims are just making you look stupid.

Obviously no one agrees on what the right definition of garbage time is, but I feel like yours is consistently among the most strict. For example, I am pretty sure it's been brought up before and you don't count Bortles 90 yard TD pass to Arob when down 13-31 late in the 3rd quarter against the Saints garbage time...which I think is kind of crazy. If I am misremembering and you do count that as garbage time then I apologize.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Garbage time is somewhat of a myth. Why didn't big Ben start to score? And flacco. Two Superbowl winning qbs. Gabbert never used to score.

Obviously qbs make more yards at end of game while down because they throw every down. I'd say Blake probably just plays better when the pressure is off which suggests a lot of his issues are in his head.

(10-12-2017, 07:48 PM)lastonealive Wrote: Don't you remember the all he does is win narrative for Tebow and Vince Young. Hey big Ben's most successful era was when he barely did anything. Kaepernick too until he needed to carry a team. Rivers has had a few seasons where his play has been horribly mediocre. I bet Dak Prescott would be viewed very differently if on the jags teams bortles has been on.

Bortles isn't as bad as perception. He's just one of many qbs in the league who can't carry a team .

This is exactly my point but I'm just a part of Blake Bortles family so my opinion don't count in the grand scheme of things. I truly agree with you and you're one of the very few people on here that can have an intellectual conversation without the resentment
[Image: giphy.gif]

Noodle this for a bit.  Blake Bortles has 4 INT's thus far this season.  Of those 4, how many are on him?  I can only think of one.  His most recent "interception" was this past weekend and it really wasn't an interception... it was a take away from the receiver while on the ground.

His INT total last season this far into the season was double (8) and that was with a bye in week 5.

I'm not saying that Bortles is "the answer" as far as QB, but I think he gets too much of a bad rap both here and in the national media.  He's not as bad as most people think.  He's certainly not a QB that will carry a team and he certainly isn't going to put up 2015 like stats because he doesn't have to.

The past few seasons the TEAM wasn't able to run the ball much and played from behind too often, thus he was forced to throw more often.  That isn't the case this season.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Exactly. It's actually quite a different game if that one last week hadn't happened. Was a swing of atleast 6 points prior to the half of no fault of bortles who had just completed the pass. The difference is this year we pick 6 big Ben while in previous years he probably drives the field

(10-12-2017, 09:43 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Noodle this for a bit.  Blake Bortles has 4 INT's thus far this season.  Of those 4, how many are on him?  I can only think of one.  His most recent "interception" was this past weekend and it really wasn't an interception... it was a take away from the receiver while on the ground.

His INT total last season this far into the season was double (8) and that was with a bye in week 5.

I'm not saying that Bortles is "the answer" as far as QB, but I think he gets too much of a bad rap both here and in the national media.  He's not as bad as most people think.  He's certainly not a QB that will carry a team and he certainly isn't going to put up 2015 like stats because he doesn't have to.

The past few seasons the TEAM wasn't able to run the ball much and played from behind too often, thus he was forced to throw more often.  That isn't the case this season.

i agree with you on he's not the answer at this time but he's not the problem either like some believe and the funny thing is that people they think are the answer makes excuses for their shortcomings base on their belief in them. lol.

This is a very interesting discussion because I think it's more about what people think changes during "garbage time" which makes it easier for a quarterback. Most people assume teams go into a "prevent" defense. But what exactly is a prevent defense trying to prevent? Logic tells me it's to prevent a score. Which means garbage time TDs don't really make any sense. But many times the only useful thing a prevent seems to do is make a drive take a minimum amount of plays before getting to the redzone. It's definitely more complicated than just saying he played in garbage time.

(10-12-2017, 09:49 PM)lastonealive Wrote: Exactly. It's actually quite a different game if that one last week hadn't happened. Was a swing of atleast 6 points prior to the half of no fault of bortles who had just completed the pass. The difference is this year we pick 6 big Ben while in previous years he probably drives the field

See just like this past Sunday how Blake only threw for 14 passes and everybody from the national media to some people on this message board say that's the coaching staff way of not believing in Blake which is not true. The team was up by double digits and the offense didn't have the ball for majority of the third quarter so the smart thing to do in that situation is to run the ball and chew clock to give the defense rest but that doesn't fit the narrative of the conspiracy theorist who wants to believe the negative.

(10-12-2017, 10:06 PM)VisitingCobra Wrote: This is a very interesting discussion because I think it's more about what people think changes during "garbage time" which makes it easier for a quarterback. Most people assume teams go into a "prevent" defense. But what exactly is a prevent defense trying to prevent? Logic tells me it's to prevent a score. Which means garbage time TDs don't really make any sense. But many times the only useful thing a prevent seems to do is make a drive take a minimum amount of plays before getting to the redzone. It's definitely more complicated than just saying he played in garbage time.

Yeah I don't use the term garbage time for many reasons. I just say any time that the game script is impacted to cause an inordinate amount of artificially inflated passing attempts/stats. That could even be a quick 17-3 deficit in the 2nd quarter which leads to far more attempts than desired, which was a lot of the type of situations Blake got his inflated stats from in 2015.

(10-12-2017, 10:07 PM)leopold332002 Wrote:
(10-12-2017, 09:49 PM)lastonealive Wrote: Exactly. It's actually quite a different game if that one last week hadn't happened. Was a swing of atleast 6 points prior to the half of no fault of bortles who had just completed the pass. The difference is this year we pick 6 big Ben while in previous years he probably drives the field

See just like this past Sunday how Blake only threw for 14 passes and everybody from the national media to some people on this message board say that's the coaching staff way of not believing in Blake which is not true. The team was up by double digits and the offense didn't have the ball for majority of the third quarter so the smart thing to do in that situation is to run the ball and chew clock to give the defense rest but that doesn't fit the narrative of the conspiracy theorist who wants to believe the negative.

Whatcha getting Blake for x-mas this year?

I suggest a slinky so he'll know what a real spiral looks like.  Laughing

(This post was last modified: 10-13-2017, 01:57 AM by JackCity.)

(10-12-2017, 09:43 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Noodle this for a bit.  Blake Bortles has 4 INT's thus far this season.  Of those 4, how many are on him?  I can only think of one.  His most recent "interception" was this past weekend and it really wasn't an interception... it was a take away from the receiver while on the ground.

His most recent interception wasn't on him but the other 3 were. Two were batted passes which Bortles has led the league in since he entered the league and the other was a routine pass he threw way behind the receiver.  

His INT% has remained the same. Still the same QB.

(10-12-2017, 09:55 PM)leopold332002 Wrote:

i agree with you on he's not the answer at this time but he's not the problem either like some believe and the funny thing is that people they think are the answer makes excuses for their shortcomings base on their belief in them. lol.

Unfortunately him "not being the answer" is a problem. Especially when you have a stacked team like this ready to compete. It's fine when we can hide him and just run the ball down people's throats but if Blake has to start throwing to win against on a negative game script against a solid team we haven't much hope.  

He's the one thing holding this current team back from being truly read to compete, and that's fine for this year given the circumstances.

(10-13-2017, 01:47 AM)Jaguarrior Wrote:
(10-12-2017, 10:07 PM)leopold332002 Wrote: See just like this past Sunday how Blake only threw for 14 passes and everybody from the national media to some people on this message board say that's the coaching staff way of not believing in Blake which is not true. The team was up by double digits and the offense didn't have the ball for majority of the third quarter so the smart thing to do in that situation is to run the ball and chew clock to give the defense rest but that doesn't fit the narrative of the conspiracy theorist who wants to believe the negative.

Hey, you're acting like a real troll and if you are a adult you setting a bad example for others on here. Don't be butthurt about situation because I didn't today is not that serious. LOL. Confused Wallbash Huh Laughing

(10-12-2017, 07:42 PM)lastonealive Wrote:
(10-12-2017, 10:31 AM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: Are you saying the NFL has only a few good QBs?

I'm saying the less a QB is relied on the better the perception of his play. If Bortles wasn't already labelled a bad QB he would be getting praised right now.

Hmmm. All of the people who only care about statistics judge QBs by their numbers, so they would not praise him after seeing he only attempted 14 passes in one game.

(10-13-2017, 01:47 AM)Jaguarrior Wrote:
(10-12-2017, 10:07 PM)leopold332002 Wrote: See just like this past Sunday how Blake only threw for 14 passes and everybody from the national media to some people on this message board say that's the coaching staff way of not believing in Blake which is not true. The team was up by double digits and the offense didn't have the ball for majority of the third quarter so the smart thing to do in that situation is to run the ball and chew clock to give the defense rest but that doesn't fit the narrative of the conspiracy theorist who wants to believe the negative.

Before you pat yourself on the back for your lame joke, you may want to edit. X-mas is capital,  and you forgot the comma in the last sentence. Maybe a dictionary in your stocking this year?

(10-13-2017, 05:43 PM)atburg Wrote:
(10-13-2017, 01:47 AM)Jaguarrior Wrote: Whatcha getting Blake for x-mas this year?

Before you pat yourself on the back for your lame joke, you may want to edit. X-mas is capital,  and you forgot the comma in the last sentence. Maybe a dictionary in your stocking this year?

Thanks for catching the x-mas, but you missed the grammatically incorrect whatcha bro... Undecided

(10-13-2017, 07:43 PM)Jaguarrior Wrote:
(10-13-2017, 05:43 PM)atburg Wrote: Before you pat yourself on the back for your lame joke, you may want to edit. X-mas is capital,  and you forgot the comma in the last sentence. Maybe a dictionary in your stocking this year?

Thanks for catching the x-mas, but you missed the grammatically incorrect whatcha bro... Undecided

lol. Man you're on a roll today huh? Maybe Blake can teach you how to spell and how about he can spot you the C and A and maybe you can do the rest. lol.

(10-13-2017, 05:43 PM)atburg Wrote:
(10-13-2017, 01:47 AM)Jaguarrior Wrote: Whatcha getting Blake for x-mas this year?

I suggest a slinky so he'll know what a real spiral looks like.

Before you pat yourself on the back for your lame joke, you may want to edit. X-mas is capital, and you forgot the comma in the last sentence. Maybe a dictionary in your stocking this year?

Adding to that, watcha is not a word.

He might want to read my edits in quotes that I make all the time. T hat would teach him.

(10-13-2017, 08:07 PM)leopold332002 Wrote:
(10-13-2017, 07:43 PM)Jaguarrior Wrote: Thanks for catching the x-mas, but you missed the grammatically incorrect whatcha bro... Undecided

lol. Man you're on a roll today huh? Maybe Blake can teach you how to spell and how about he can spot you the C and A and maybe you can do the rest. lol. 

That's a great idea! He teaches me to spell, and I teach him to play quarterback. Why didn't we think of this before?  Banana

Just make sure you send your baby boy to school with a SPIRAL notebook Mama Bortles.  Laughing

You'll have to buy it for him because he doesn't know what one looks like.  Laughing

Don't worry I'll teach him go enough to make his mother proud.  Laughing

(10-13-2017, 10:18 PM)Jaguarrior Wrote:
(10-13-2017, 08:07 PM)leopold332002 Wrote: lol. Man you're on a roll today huh? Maybe Blake can teach you how to spell and how about he can spot you the C and A and maybe you can do the rest. lol. 

That's a great idea! He teaches me to spell, and I teach him to play quarterback. Why didn't we think of this before?  Banana

Just make sure you send your baby boy to school with a SPIRAL notebook Mama Bortles.  Laughing

You'll have to buy it for him because he doesn't know what one looks like.  Laughing

Don't worry I'll teach him go enough to make his mother proud.  Laughing

Go enough?

Judging from your intelligent posts, you could probably show him a thing or two about holding onto the balls. Sorry, meant to say ball. 

For good measure-  Laughing

(This post was last modified: 10-14-2017, 01:04 AM by Jaguarrior.)

(10-14-2017, 12:47 AM)atburg Wrote:
(10-13-2017, 10:18 PM)Jaguarrior Wrote: That's a great idea! He teaches me to spell, and I teach him to play quarterback. Why didn't we think of this before?  Banana

Don't worry I'll teach him go enough to make his mother proud. 

Go enough?

Judging from your intelligent posts, you could probably show him a thing or two about holding onto the balls. Sorry, meant to say ball. 

For good measure-  Laughing

Then you'd be out of a job. You been cupping those things for dear life.  Wink

And what's worst is he sucks, so why ride his jock so hard?

Could only imagine how you felt about Blaine Gabbert...