Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Is Blake Bortles too Toxic to remain on the roster next season?

I'm gonna take a page out of jim moras book kindof. Jim mora voice Super Bowl???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!

the season isn't over yet why we talking about that. still need to win more games first.

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

50 is too large a sample size. Especially since it goes back to different eras of QB play. In this era, QBs taken in the 1st round are more often thrown right in the fire than years past. I wouldn't go back more than 10 years. In that sample size his play has been closer to the bottom. This is not to bag on Blake because he has without a doubt played much better this year but lets not forget that we've seen a much larger sample size of poor play. In order to get a true picture of his growth we need to see him in some tough games that are either close or we fall behind on.

(This post was last modified: 11-06-2017, 01:41 PM by iapetus.)

Interestingly, Pro Football Reference lets me search for QBs drafted in the top 10 since '82 (that's the last 51), and sort them by 'approximate value'. Gives us a starting point for the discussion at least. This doesn't include stats for this season, which would probably push Bortles up slightly, but he's ranked 32nd of the 51. Somewhat below average. Right between Joey Harrington and Jameis Winston. Better than Blaine Gabbert, worse than Byron Leftwich. No John Elway, but no Akili Smith.

Edit: The site's down at the moment, but when it returns I'll rerun the search for 2006-2016 and see how that pans out, as I agree with RealJagsFan on this one...

(11-06-2017, 01:39 PM)iapetus Wrote: Interestingly, Pro Football Reference lets me search for QBs drafted in the top 10 since '82 (that's the last 51), and sort them by 'approximate value'. Gives us a starting point for the discussion at least. This doesn't include stats for this season, which would probably push Bortles up slightly, but he's ranked 32nd of the 51. Somewhat below average. Right between Joey Harrington and Jameis Winston. Better than Blaine Gabbert, worse than Byron Leftwich. No John Elway, but no Akili Smith.

Edit: The site's down at the moment, but when it returns I'll rerun the search for 2006-2016 and see how that pans out, as I agree with RealJagsFan on this one...
You're wasting your time though man.

You could show him stats until your blue in the face but he's got Blake colored glasses on.

(11-06-2017, 01:37 PM)RealJagsFan Wrote: 50 is too large a sample size. Especially since it goes back to different eras of QB play. In this era, QBs taken in the 1st round are more often thrown right in the fire than years past. I wouldn't go back more than 10 years. In that sample size his play has been closer to the bottom. This is not to bag on Blake because he has without a doubt played much better this year but lets not forget that we've seen a much larger sample size of poor play. In order to get a true picture of his growth we need to see him in some tough games that are either close or we fall behind on.

Wrong. 

Many QBs who's teams suck like Heath Shuler and David Carr fall flat on their A$$. 

Despite fans and the media saying Bortles is terrible the past 2 years and blaming him for having the WORST head coach in NFL history statistically, Bortles has come out stronger. Kid is only 25 years old, likes to take on defenders with the crown of his helmet, and is a beast. 

Jags are lucky to have him.

(11-06-2017, 01:37 PM)RealJagsFan Wrote: 50 is too large a sample size. Especially since it goes back to different eras of QB play. In this era, QBs taken in the 1st round are more often thrown right in the fire than years past. I wouldn't go back more than 10 years. In that sample size his play has been closer to the bottom. This is not to bag on Blake because he has without a doubt played much better this year but lets not forget that we've seen a much larger sample size of poor play. In order to get a true picture of his growth we need to see him in some tough games that are either close or we fall behind on.

This.

It's great that he's playing better than he was earlier in this season. It's even better we're winning games.
But to act like we're winning because of Bortles would be kinda foolish.... This D is what drives this team. The run game is balanced with the passing attack.

I love it that Bortles and this team can beat up on the bad teams. But we still need Bortles to be able to take over a game if he's in the plans for the long term.
We need to see how Bortles responds being down by 2 scores. (Not sure we'll see it too much with this D)

I'm really not trying to take anything from Bortles. He's definitely on the uptick... and I dig it.
But even looking at yesterday, Blake's best game of the year... Cole made a helluva catch that Bortles overshot him. He had a few balls that came out that just make ya hold your breath.
Tipped passes are still an issue as well.

It was a great win but there is a lot of time for Bad Blake to show up again... And as excited as I am about this team, we should still pump the brakes on "Bortles is cured" lol

(11-06-2017, 01:41 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(11-06-2017, 01:39 PM)iapetus Wrote: Interestingly, Pro Football Reference lets me search for QBs drafted in the top 10 since '82 (that's the last 51), and sort them by 'approximate value'. Gives us a starting point for the discussion at least. This doesn't include stats for this season, which would probably push Bortles up slightly, but he's ranked 32nd of the 51. Somewhat below average. Right between Joey Harrington and Jameis Winston. Better than Blaine Gabbert, worse than Byron Leftwich. No John Elway, but no Akili Smith.

You're wasting your time though man.

You could show him stats until your blue in the face but he's got Blake colored glasses on.

The stats Bortles has at age 25 are easily top 25 on that list of 50 and Blake hasn't even entered his prime yet NOR had a good team until now. MOST on this board will be eating LOTS of crow the next 5-7 years.

Okay, back up. RealJagsFan, you are wrong. Smile

Of the 18 QBs picked in the top ten between 2006 and 2016, Bortles still falls roughly in the middle - 10th. That ranking:

Matt Ryan
Cam Newton
Matt Stafford
Andrew Luck
Ryan Tannehill
Sam Bradford
Robert Griffin
Mark Sanchez
Vince Young
Blake Bortles
Jameis Winston
Marcus Mariota
Jake Locker
Blaine Gabbert
Matt Leinart
Carson Wentz
JaMarcus Russell
Jared Goff

Personally I think some of the ones at the bottom end of the list deserve more of a chance, and some of the ones at the top deserve to be bumped a bit - Bortles would still end up in the middle somewhere.

(11-06-2017, 01:43 PM)spacecoastjag Wrote:
(11-06-2017, 01:41 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: You're wasting your time though man.

The stats Bortles has at age 25 are easily top 25 on that list of 50 and Blake hasn't even entered his prime yet NOR had a good team until now. MOST on this board will be eating LOTS of crow the next 5-7 years.
Cool.

(11-06-2017, 01:41 PM)spacecoastjag Wrote:

Wrong. 

Many QBs who's teams suck like Heath Shuler and David Carr fall flat on their [BLEEP]. 

Despite fans and the media saying Bortles is terrible the past 2 years and blaming him for having the WORST head coach in NFL history statistically, Bortles has come out stronger. Kid is only 25 years old, likes to take on defenders with the crown of his helmet, and is a beast. 

Wrong. Bradley's bad coaching has no effect on Bortles throwing wobblers, being inaccurate, and throwing to the wrong team.

Did he have a bad team around him much of his early years? Yeah... it is why he was given a pass for much of that time.
He didn't have a good year last year. Whether you wanna admit that or not.. he just was not good.
He started out very rough this year (and you said he STILL didn't have enough around him) now he's playing better, so all is well eh?

Bortles probably will always be "good not great"
but he'll always be great in your eyes, and everyone else will be wrong, amirite?

(11-06-2017, 01:42 PM)Kane Wrote:

This.

It's great that he's playing better than he was earlier in this season. It's even better we're winning games.
But to act like we're winning because of Bortles would be kinda foolish.... This D is what drives this team. The run game is balanced with the passing attack.

I love it that Bortles and this team can beat up on the bad teams. But we still need Bortles to be able to take over a game if he's in the plans for the long term.
We need to see how Bortles responds being down by 2 scores. (Not sure we'll see it too much with this D)

I'm really not trying to take anything from Bortles. He's definitely on the uptick... and I dig it.
But even looking at yesterday, Blake's best game of the year... Cole made a helluva catch that Bortles overshot him. He had a few balls that came out that just make ya hold your breath.

It was a great win but there is a lot of time for Bad Blake to show up again... And as excited as I am about this team, we should still pump the brakes on "Bortles is cured" lol

Beat up on bad teams?! See another fan who knows NOTHING. Cincy has the #10 scoring defense in the league. Baltimore has the #7 scoring defense in the league. Those are bad defense Bortles is beating up on? Without Fournette one game?! And without a legit #1 WR all season? 

You know nothing. Come back when you know what a good defense is.

(11-06-2017, 01:44 PM)iapetus Wrote: Okay, back up. RealJagsFan, you are wrong. Smile

Of the 18 QBs picked in the top ten between 2006 and 2016, Bortles still falls roughly in the middle - 10th. That ranking:

Matt Ryan
Cam Newton
Matt Stafford
Andrew Luck
Ryan Tannehill
Sam Bradford
Robert Griffin
Mark Sanchez
Vince Young
Blake Bortles
Jameis Winston
Marcus Mariota
Jake Locker
Blaine Gabbert
Matt Leinart
Carson Wentz
JaMarcus Russell
Jared Goff

Personally I think some of the ones at the bottom end of the list deserve more of a chance, and some of the ones at the top deserve to be bumped a bit - Bortles would still end up in the middle somewhere.
These rankings are terrible. Blake is better than Young and Sanchez but not better than Goff or Wentz.

(11-06-2017, 01:45 PM)Kane Wrote:
(11-06-2017, 01:41 PM)spacecoastjag Wrote:   Wrong. 

Many QBs who's teams suck like Heath Shuler and David Carr fall flat on their [BLEEP]. 

Wrong. Bradley's bad coaching has no effect on Bortles throwing wobblers, being inaccurate, and throwing to the wrong team.

Did he have a bad team around him much of his early years? Yeah... it is why he was given a pass for much of that time.
He didn't have a good year last year. Whether you wanna admit that or not.. he just was not good.
He started out very rough this year (and you said he STILL didn't have enough around him) now he's playing better, so all is well eh?

but he'll always be great in your eyes, and everyone else will be wrong, amirite?

I never said he was great. I said the Jags won't find a better QB than Bortles. Bortles will be the best QB in franchise history EASILY when his career is over.

(11-06-2017, 01:46 PM)spacecoastjag Wrote:
(11-06-2017, 01:42 PM)Kane Wrote: This.

Beat up on bad teams?! See another fan who knows NOTHING. Cincy has the #10 scoring defense in the league. Baltimore has the #7 scoring defense in the league. Those are bad defense Bortles is beating up on? Without Fournette one game?! And without a legit #1 WR all season? 

You know nothing. Come back when you know what a good defense is.
Stats tell all. I forgot. My bad. Continue football guru.

Ravens BAD offense put us in good position throughout the London game.
The terrible Bengals offense gave our offense a lot of possessions (and they still only managed to put up 16 points)
They also both have losing records... so yeah, those teams aren't really good.
Bad clots team... and the squeelers during a career worst outing by Big Ben....

I can counter every thing you throw at my dude. 
I don't know why you can't just be realistic about this team. It's OK to enjoy the good and still be critical of the not so good.

Try it kid. Instead of frantically responding to every Bortles thread looking to defend your childhood hero against the big bad meanies of the message board.

KANE.....

I forgot to mention Bortles played the #2 scoring defense in Pittsburgh and won that one too. So Bortles beat #2, #7, and #10 scoring defenses this season and lost to #9 the Rams. Please explain to me how he's beating up on bad defenses again?! #FakeStats #FakeNews #FakePoster

(This post was last modified: 11-06-2017, 01:51 PM by Kane.)

(11-06-2017, 01:47 PM)spacecoastjag Wrote:
(11-06-2017, 01:45 PM)Kane Wrote: Wrong. Bradley's bad coaching has no effect on Bortles throwing wobblers, being inaccurate, and throwing to the wrong team.

I never said he was great. I said the Jags won't find a better QB than Bortles. Bortles will be the best QB in franchise history EASILY when his career is over.

Uhh... if he isn't great, then they can find someone better.

(11-06-2017, 01:50 PM)spacecoastjag Wrote: KANE.....

I forgot to mention Bortles played the #2 scoring defense in Pittsburgh and won that one too. So Bortles beat #2, #7, and #10 scoring defenses this season and lost to #9 the Rams. Please explain to me how he's beating up on bad defenses again?! #FakeStats  #FakeNews #FakePoster

Bortles had like 85 yards passing in that game.

lulz

The D won that game, don't play.

I forgot to mention Bortles played the #2 scoring defense in Pittsburgh and won that one too. So Bortles beat #2, #7, and #10 scoring defenses this season and lost to #9 the Rams. Please explain to me how he's beating up on bad defenses again?! #FakeStats  #FakeNews #FakePoster
Bortles didn't even throw for 100 yards against Pitt.....

(This post was last modified: 11-06-2017, 01:58 PM by RealJagsFan.)

(11-06-2017, 01:44 PM)iapetus Wrote: Okay, back up. RealJagsFan, you are wrong. Smile

Matt Ryan
Cam Newton
Matt Stafford
Andrew Luck
Ryan Tannehill
Sam Bradford
Robert Griffin
Mark Sanchez
Vince Young
Blake Bortles
Jameis Winston
Marcus Mariota
Jake Locker
Blaine Gabbert
Matt Leinart
Carson Wentz
JaMarcus Russell
Jared Goff

I wouldn't put Blake ahead of any of those except Locker, Gabbert, Leinert and Russell so I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I'm only being realistic based on the play we've seen. It was only last year the Blake was Mr. Pick six so I'm just a bit shocked that a few good games erases all of that. The few good games this year have been the best in his career thus far, so I just don't get it. Btw Spacecoast are you Blake?

Actually I didn't notice you have RGIII, Ryan Tannehill, Sanchez and Young above him, which I wouldn't.

#faketrolljob

8 of 14 for 95 yards

LOL

We do finally have smart coaches.  Smart enough not to let #5 throw against a top rated pass defense.

(11-06-2017, 01:51 PM)Kane Wrote:
(11-06-2017, 01:47 PM)spacecoastjag Wrote:  I never said he was great. I said the Jags won't find a better QB than Bortles. Bortles will be the best QB in franchise history EASILY when his career is over.

Uhh... if he isn't great, then they can find someone better.

How does this make sense? You're like all these people on message boards and throw around names. Cousins or Brees are not coming to Jacksonville. Bortles is the franchise.