Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Caldwell is a genius.

(11-08-2017, 10:40 AM)Teal Time Radio Wrote: The team was a mess when was inherited. And had to be re built from scratch. And the original deal was four years. Khan held up to his end. But after the team made the statement at the tacks game.  It was clear gus was not the answer.

Khan told the team to make a statement. And the statement they made.  Was they flat out didn't try and intentionally gave up.  Stating they no longer wanted to play for Bradley.

Seriously? 

What the hell are you talking about? 

Are you trying to say that the Jags players were told by the owner to throw the Thursday night game last year?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 11-08-2017, 11:19 AM by JagsorDie.)

He has made some great pick ups. He may have whiffed a few times but i got to hand it to the guy, he has built a team that I am proud to call my home team. i see alot of people giving tom alot of the credit, but tom wasn't here when he grabbed Linder, Smith, Jack, Ramsey, Colvin, Robinson, Lee, or Dante in the draft. And tom wasnt here when he brought on Jackson and Gipson in FA. I will say tom may have something to do with us focusing a little heavier on building this D up while relying on the running game, with only the addition of a FB and a few lineman, as far as Offense. But over all i will say DC has done a pretty damn good job bringing on talent the correct way through good drafting while managing his cap wisely.

I cant tell you how much better it feels to watch the draft and not have to look up every player we acquire because I have never heard their name in my life. Then try to hype myself up with feats that these people have accomplished in division 2 ball. "he whose name we shall not speak" put us through a very embarrassing portion of this franchises history. I still have flash backs while watching the draft of the banger pick in the third and our 7th round pick being a guy who didn't even play football and was actually a construction worker in his late 20's.

Sorry if i gave anyone else a little nightmare flashback from our team's past, but if i ever find myself questioning the current team, i look back at those times and remember just how bad it can actually get lol..... or i look at Cleveland.

LOL

Geez a lou...

I can't for the life of me can't understand how this team can be terrible one minute, good the next, and Caldwell goes from mediocre to genius in the same amount of time Bortles has gone from game manager to 'leet'.

Caldwell deserves some credit for getting a lot of talent on this team. He still deserves as much criticism as praise for his poor decisions in 1. tearing down a roster too far, 2. Hiring Gus Bradley/sticking with Gus Bradley/extending Gus Bradley, 3. Just as many FA misses as hits, imo, 4. Drafting what has accounted to a project QB at 3 overall.
Yes.... praise him for Jalen and Yannick, Jack and Robinson.... but never forget Joker, Ace, Gratz, Yeldon.... we love him for some Jackson and Campbell signings... but he also signed Thomas, Gerhart, Beadles....

He's been about average, some hits and some misses, his home runs seemingly were no duh picks, in Ramsey and Jack falling to the 2nd...
But a lot more credit should be given to the coaching staff... and while you could credit Caldwell for putting (keeping) Maronne in place... one could venture to guess that TC had much more of a hand in that.

The contracts are almost always team friendly... so give Caldwell some credit there... except we brought in a contract guru from the Jets org. a few years back, and he likely is the # cruncher that gets it done.

Let's pump the brakes on genius.
Once upon a time a lot of fans called Gene Smith Genius Smith....

Don't get me wrong... He deserves some credit... but we shouldn't forget how much of a struggle it was to get here. Caldwell had a hand in that as well.
As much good as he's done... Joker was a miss, DFJ is still an unknown but is having a good season in his 2rd year (2nd playing), and Bortles, while playing better, is still just managing the game... and that isn't what you'd expect of 3rd overall selection in his 4th season.

(11-08-2017, 11:21 AM)Kane Wrote: Let's pump the brakes on genius.

For the record.  Absolutely no one has called him a genius except the same guy that just said Shad Kahn told the team to intentionally throw the thursday night game last year. 

So...  grain of salt and what not.

(This post was last modified: 11-08-2017, 11:55 AM by JagsorDie.)

(11-08-2017, 11:21 AM)Kane Wrote: LOL

Geez a lou...

I can't for the life of me can't understand how this team can be terrible one minute, good the next, and Caldwell goes from mediocre to genius in the same amount of time Bortles has gone from game manager to 'leet'.

Caldwell deserves some credit for getting a lot of talent on this team. He still deserves as much criticism as praise for his poor decisions in 1. tearing down a roster too far, 2. Hiring Gus Bradley/sticking with Gus Bradley/extending Gus Bradley, 3. Just as many FA misses as hits, imo, 4. Drafting what has accounted to a project QB at 3 overall.
Yes.... praise him for Jalen and Yannick, Jack and Robinson.... but never forget Joker, Ace, Gratz, Yeldon.... we love him for some Jackson and Campbell signings... but he also signed Thomas, Gerhart, Beadles....

He's been about average, some hits and some misses, his home runs seemingly were no duh picks, in Ramsey and Jack falling to the 2nd...
But a lot more credit should be given to the coaching staff... and while you could credit Caldwell for putting (keeping) Maronne in place... one could venture to guess that TC had much more of a hand in that.

The contracts are almost always team friendly... so give Caldwell some credit there... except we brought in a contract guru from the Jets org. a few years back, and he likely is the # cruncher that gets it done.

Don't get me wrong... He deserves some credit... but we shouldn't forget how much of a struggle it was to get here. Caldwell had a hand in that as well.
As much good as he's done... Joker was a miss, DFJ is still an unknown but is having a good season in his 2rd year (2nd playing), and Bortles, while playing better, is still just managing the game... and that isn't what you'd expect of 3rd overall selection in his 4th season.

I can't fault him to much there. He wasn't exactly handed a pot of gold. Hell i think you could almost make the argument that team may have struggled in the SEC at the time.

He does deserve some criticism for this. I defended this at the time by saying if we start creating a revolving door at HC, not only are we going to make things difficult for the extremely young team that we had at the time, i think our HC job would have been alot less attractive if we were going to go the route of hiring a big name guy that we would have to compete for. obviously hired a coach we had in house, but that was just my thinking at the time.

That is the chance you take in FA. Also consider the fact that we weren't exactly a team who alot of big name players were going give a look toward. Not saying Thomas wasn't a big name at the time, i don't think we were in a position to pay out the nose for guys when we had so many holes to fill.

I agree with this. but i think he has played the hand he was dealt pretty well with all things considered. No GM hits a homerun on every pitch, but I can honestly say i am much happier with the state of this team now than i was 5 years ago and that isn't me just settling for average, we have a pretty damn good squad.

(11-08-2017, 11:34 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-08-2017, 11:21 AM)Kane Wrote: Let's pump the brakes on genius.

For the record.  Absolutely no one has called him a genius except the same guy that just said Shad Kahn told the team to intentionally throw the thursday night game last year. 

So...  grain of salt and what not.

Indeed
TTR is definitely up there with the questionable posters of the board lol

(11-08-2017, 11:21 AM)Kane Wrote: LOL

Geez a lou...

This.

I wouldn't give him credit for Ramsey though, everyone knew Ramsey was gonna be really good, he just fell to us and Caldwell had to take him.

Let's see:

Smoot is a rookie but has done nothing
Yeldon sucks and there were much better RBs available at that moment
AJ Cann is average at best
Joeckel was awful (Ansah was available)
Cyprien was awful
Gratz sucked
Gerhart lol
Beadles was a pretty dumb mistake
Malik Jackson has been ok/good but not worth all the money imo
Julius Thomas was bad
Odrick average
Davon House mediocre
Skuta bad
Cut Forsett
Let Daryl Smith go
Hood, Bryant and Clemons were wasted money
Bradley was bad enough to fire Caldwell but he is still here for some reason

Tom was here for 2017 Draft and FA and it really shows. Funny how suddenly Caldwell makes much better choices Rolleyes Rolleyes

It isn't that he's making better choices, though. It's that the choices he already made are bearing fruit with a better coaching staff. It's asinine to not give credit for Ramsey; how many times did Smith whiff on the obvious pick?

Just like I said when Tom was hired, he'll get credit for every good decision and Caldwell will get blame for everything bad.

(11-08-2017, 12:22 PM)JaguarKick Wrote: It isn't that he's making better choices, though.  It's that the choices he already made are bearing fruit with a better coaching staff.  It's asinine to not give credit for Ramsey; how many times did Smith whiff on the obvious pick?

Just like I said when Tom was hired, he'll get credit for every good decision and Caldwell will get blame for everything bad.

I'm not giving Coughlin credit for Yannick... or any pick or signing that showed up before him. I give Caldwell that credit.
But I believe Caldwell is the reason we were SO bad... and I don't think Bradley was the reason for the L's (until last season)
It was the way Caldwell went about building the roster... yes, it is bearing fruit now... but we still have a ? at QB and the credit for the current success is being given to the coach staff for maximizing the results from an offense that doesn't have enough star pieces like the D.

I won't be mad if they keep Caldwell. But I won't be surprised if they move on either.
He's done well. Probably better than a lot of GMs in the past 2-3 seasons...... but I'm not going to sing his praises like he couldn't have done better, especially at key positions (QB, TE) and with key decisions (roster purge) when this franchise was in it's worst shape ever.

(This post was last modified: 11-08-2017, 01:44 PM by Teal Time Radio.)

(11-08-2017, 10:46 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-08-2017, 10:40 AM)Teal Time Radio Wrote: The team was a mess when was inherited. And had to be re built from scratch. And the original deal was four years. Khan held up to his end. But after the team made the statement at the tacks game.  It was clear gus was not the answer.

Khan told the team to make a statement. And the statement they made.  Was they flat out didn't try and intentionally gave up.  Stating they no longer wanted to play for Bradley.

Seriously? 

Are you trying to say that the Jags players were told by the owner to throw the Thursday night game last year?
I am. If super bowls can be rigged.  And teams can tank.  What is so outlandish.  To say once game was out of reach.  The players quit.  Or no longer tried.  

To say they were tired of losing.  And not worth it anymore?
Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

(11-08-2017, 01:43 PM)Teal Time Radio Wrote:
(11-08-2017, 10:46 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Seriously? 

I am. If super bowls can be rigged.  And teams can tank.  What is so outlandish.  To say once game was out of reach.  The players quit.  Or no longer tried.  

To say they were tired if losing.  And not worth it anymore?

I'm just going to pay you a sincere compliment.

You have a wonderful imagination. 

BTW - if it was indeed Kahn and not Caldwell (as has been insinuated) that wanted to give Bradley one more season, then why would he instruct his players to quit on the guy?

(This post was last modified: 11-08-2017, 02:03 PM by Teal Time Radio.)

(11-08-2017, 01:46 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-08-2017, 01:43 PM)Teal Time Radio Wrote: I am. If super bowls can be rigged.  And teams can tank.  What is so outlandish.  To say once game was out of reach.  The players quit.  Or no longer tried.  

To say they were tired if losing.  And not worth it anymore?

I'm just going to pay you a sincere compliment.

You have a wonderful imagination. 

BTW - if it was indeed Kahn and not Caldwell (as has been insinuated) that wanted to give Bradley one more season, then why would he instruct his players to quit on the guy?
By that time realized made a huge mistake.   Explain this?  After the tacks game?  The jags magically lose the next what 5 by less than 7 points and no more blow outs?  

Maybe the team was told okay.  I get it.  Later in season will make changes.  And gave the jags hope again.   

But nope.... It is all by chance.   Constant blow outs for most part then lose by under 7?  Sounds fishy to me.

And to ad to that. Marrone comes on and they win and almost twice. And this year first time since what 07 over 500? And basically same team on offense.

With the exception of Fournette. But not like he is single handedly winning all the games right?

#Gojags

(11-08-2017, 01:43 PM)Teal Time Radio Wrote:
(11-08-2017, 10:46 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Seriously? 

Wow...
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(This post was last modified: 11-08-2017, 02:08 PM by Teal Time Radio.)

(11-08-2017, 01:54 PM)FBT Wrote:
(11-08-2017, 01:43 PM)Teal Time Radio Wrote: I am. If super bowls can be rigged.  And teams can tank.  What is so outlandish.  To say once game was out of reach.  The players quit.  Or no longer tried.  

Wow...

Yea ya didn't believe Coughlin be an executive nor Marrone end up HC.   I called um both and first.  So maybe not too crazy after all. (Gotta love auto correct)

#Gojags

(11-08-2017, 02:06 PM)Teal Time Radio Wrote:
(11-08-2017, 01:54 PM)FBT Wrote: Wow...

Yea ya didn't believe Coughlin be an executive nor Marrone end up HC.   I called um both and first.  So maybe not too crazy after all. (Gotta love auto correct)

Feel free to find a quote where I said "Coughlin wouldn't be an executive."  I'll wait.

I wasn't sold on the Marrone hire initially.  I thought there were better options, but it turns out that he was the perfect fit for what Coughlin wanted to do.  I'm not calling you crazy.  Just not terribly sharp.  Feel free to pat yourself on the back for what you claim here.  You can even post all of your fanhood credentials.  The majority here will continue to be unimpressed, but at least you'll have Pookie and Banjo to talk to when you resurrect your podcast.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(11-08-2017, 01:52 PM)Teal Time Radio Wrote:
(11-08-2017, 01:46 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: BTW - if it was indeed Kahn and not Caldwell (as has been insinuated) that wanted to give Bradley one more season, then why would he instruct his players to quit on the guy?

But nope.... It is all by chance.   Constant blow outs for most part then lose by under 7?  Sounds fishy to me.

There were no constant blowouts prior to the game you think they threw. 

There was week 2 and week 7 prior to that.  That's it.

(11-08-2017, 05:10 AM)BritJag Wrote: 5-3 at the halfway mark, year 5 of the 'process'. OP must not think highly of geniuses. DC has weathered the storm; built the long hard way. Now, his role as GM in the organization is fuzzy. Is he content to remain in this joint effort, or does he seek more autonomy? He is regarded league wide and will earn more props as the team improves.

The understanding that I have is that Caldwell does the same thing he always has, other than he has to submit his ideas to Coughlin for final approval...

There are some really 'entertaining' theories being thrown around by a certain poster. However, I did need the chuckle as crappy as I've been feeling all week. So I do appreciate it.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Your welcome. And FBT you didn't technically say that. Because your mind was set and stating that Coughlin would be choosen as the HC. Not Marrone.

#Gojags

(11-08-2017, 02:21 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-08-2017, 01:52 PM)Teal Time Radio Wrote: ...

There were no constant blowouts prior to the game you think they threw. 

There was week 2 and week 7 prior to that.  That's it.

I do stand corrected.  Which in turn makes some of my argument mute.  Good catch.

#Gojags