Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Marcus Mariota Discussion

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Where did all the chuckleheads go?

(11-17-2017, 12:43 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: http://www.gotitans.com/threads/offense-...hip.98881/

You can see it in his eyes!  Laughing

The thread is gone. Lolol

Gonna be awfully quiet around here for awhile haha

I think Mariota has officially entered the '5th worst QB in the division' behind Watson, Luck, Bortles, AND Brissett

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

(This post was last modified: 11-17-2017, 01:30 AM by lastonealive.)

Chad henne says hi

This shouldnt really be any surprise to anyone who's watched this year. He's been very poor.

I don't really care that much, but I do find it interesting that Mariota's + stats (PFRs adjusted per throw advanced stats) are still better than Bortles' but the perception is that Mariota is having a terrible year while Bortles is "playing incredibly well" and "very well, very, very well."

(11-17-2017, 03:30 AM)Upper Wrote: I don't really care that much, but I do find it interesting that Mariota's + stats (PFRs adjusted per throw advanced stats) are still better than Bortles' but the perception is that Mariota is having a terrible year while Bortles is "playing incredibly well" and "very well, very, very well."

Blake has played well because he is doing what is asked and for the most part has played mistake free football. He's nowhere near 'good', and neither is Mariota. Both are average players with a game here or there they can take over... But its rare. Otherwise they are game managers and Blake has simply taken care of the football better this year.

(11-17-2017, 03:41 AM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote:
(11-17-2017, 03:30 AM)Upper Wrote: I don't really care that much, but I do find it interesting that Mariota's + stats (PFRs adjusted per throw advanced stats) are still better than Bortles' but the perception is that Mariota is having a terrible year while Bortles is "playing incredibly well" and "very well, very, very well."

Blake has played well because he is doing what is asked and for the most part has played mistake free football. He's nowhere near 'good', and neither is Mariota. Both are average players with a game here or there they can take over... But its rare. Otherwise they are game managers and Blake has simply taken care of the football better this year.

That's accurate enough for this season sure, but Mariota was legitimately really darn good last year.

We need to remember this game and how Pittsburgh shut down the Titans running game. They rotated their SS down prior to snapping the ball and just cheated on the run all night. Mariota is an average passer and was under pressure and ineffective. When we faced them we sit in our base defense and let them gash us all day. Can't do that.
No pain, no gain.

Mariota is meh, good at rushing when there's no throwing options and he can see space.

titans have the talent to be one of the best offenses in the league but they are being badly coached and the scheme around them does very little for them. It seemed Mularkey knew what he was doing early on but he's regressed to the mean.  

You put Mariota in a scheme suited to his strengths and he'd be a top 10 QB.

He wouldn't he would be injured sooner or later then flame out.

(11-17-2017, 06:11 AM)JackCity Wrote: titans have the talent to be one of the best offenses in the league but they are being badly coached and the scheme around them does very little for them. It seemed Mularkey knew what he was doing early on but he's regressed to the mean.  

I think you're way off.

Mariota, to me, looks like this year's Bortles. When the team around him keeps him from having to be the guy making the big throw he does fine. Shut down the titans run and he can get one or two TDs a game and will throw to the other team a few times.

Remember his game against the Jaguars last December? Fell behind and was lucky to not be picked on multiple throws.

I think mariota's whole career has been framed by his first game getting a bunch of long run after catch TDs, but the reality is that even at his best he's essentially been this seasons Bortles with the benefit of not having garbage coaching and offensive line play surrounding him.

(11-17-2017, 06:11 AM)JackCity Wrote: titans have the talent to be one of the best offenses in the league but they are being badly coached and the scheme around them does very little for them. It seemed Mularkey knew what he was doing early on but he's regressed to the mean.  

Lol, did you watch the game last night?  He has been bad all year.  Coaching or scheme has nothing to do with Mariota overthrowing his WRs on the regular while in a clean pocket, not to mention the decision making.  Couldnt it be the tape other teams have on these guys, teams know to keep him in the pocket.  It's funny the Mariota and Taylor's or play is all scheme, coaching, or the talent around them, has nothing to do with them not being very good or playing very well.

(11-17-2017, 07:56 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:

I think you're way off.

Mariota, to me, looks like this year's Bortles. When the team around him keeps him from having to be the guy making the big throw he does fine. Shut down the titans run and he can get one or two TDs a game and will throw to the other team a few times.

Remember his game against the Jaguars last December? Fell behind and was lucky to not be picked on multiple throws.

I think mariota's whole career has been framed by his first game getting a bunch of long run after catch TDs, but the reality is that even at his best he's essentially been this seasons Bortles with the benefit of not having garbage coaching and offensive line play surrounding him.

I think you're way off. 

Mariota was an elite prospect and was one of the best young QBs in the NFL last year. Unfortunately in the NFL development isn't linear. Players don't get better and better every year, sometimes due to circumstances they have a down year.  

Mularkey's poor coaching has neutered Mariota this year. The scheme doesn't suit him, receivers aren't being schemed open. The run game isn't what it once was. Mariota is also playing fairly poorly by his own accord. 

No Mariota "at his best" is a much better QB than Blake and is more advanced in most areas of QBing. More accurate, takes better care of the ball, better anticipation, better mechanics, better at reading the defense.  If you polled 32 GMs on if they'd rather Mariota or Bortles you'd get 32 GMs telling you Mariota. 

Down year, still a good young QB.

Bortles is more durable than Mariota. That ends of list of traits that Bortles > Mariota.

Durability is an important trait though.

(11-17-2017, 08:06 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

Lol, did you watch the game last night?  He has been bad all year.  Coaching or scheme has nothing to do with Mariota overthrowing his WRs on the regular while in a clean pocket, not to mention the decision making.  Couldnt it be the tape other teams have on these guys, teams know to keep him in the pocket.  It's funny the Mariota and Taylor's or play is all scheme, coaching, or the talent around them, has nothing to do with them not being very good or playing very well.

Oh it's you again. 

Not sure where I said Mariota was good this year . Mariota has being playing badly on his own accord. His decision making has been very poor, not up to his usual standard. 

I'm not sure how much football you watch but Mariota does most of his best work inside the pocket. So it's not as simple as teams just "watching the tape" to keep in the pocket..he's a pocket passer with wheels and mobility..not the other way around. Nice theory though. 

If you read the Tyrod thread you'll see I've said Taylor hasn't played that well. Just like Mariota hasn't. It would be fairly foolish to ignore coaching/scheme/talent when it comes to the QB position though. We're seeing the benefits of it first hand with Goff/Wentz, even Bortles to a degree.   

Cmon buddy, these debates are getting boringly one sided. Bring some heat.

(11-17-2017, 08:10 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(11-17-2017, 07:56 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: I think you're way off.

I think you're way off. 

Mariota was an elite prospect and was one of the best young QBs in the NFL last year. Unfortunately in the NFL development isn't linear. Players don't get better and better every year, sometimes due to circumstances they have a down year.  

Mularkey's poor coaching has neutered Mariota this year. The scheme doesn't suit him, receivers aren't being schemed open. The run game isn't what it once was. Mariota is also playing fairly poorly by his own accord. 

No Mariota "at his best" is a much better QB than Blake and is more advanced in most areas of QBing. More accurate, takes better care of the ball, better anticipation, better mechanics, better at reading the defense.  If you polled 32 GMs on if they'd rather Mariota or Bortles you'd get 32 GMs telling you Mariota. 

Down year, still a good young QB.

I think you're way off.

Whether any GM would take him ahead of Bortles doesn't mean anything, Bortles is not a franchise QB in my opinion, and neither is Mariota.

If you wanted to ask a more relevant question of them you'd ask which young QBs they'd want to have and maybe in what order.

I'd be surprised if Mariota were even in the top five asking a question like that.

You want him over Wentz? Goff? Carr? Garopolo? Prescott? Watson? Winston? I could see someone arguing he might be better than one or two of those guys. Then there's the ranks of guys that are already known to be franchise or elite level, is he above any of them?

Trying to argue he's better than Bortles is pointless, guys that aren't franchise quality are really just levels of bad, and that's the cast Mariota is in. Plus he's not yet played in every game of a season.

I'd love to see the titans double down on him, though, maybe give him another one of those Andrew Luck kind of contracts.