Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Trump lifts ban on elephant trophies

(11-17-2017, 11:02 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(11-17-2017, 10:55 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Poachers could easily be stopped if the local Africans are given some types of incentives to help save the animals, instead of slaughtering them for the ivory. It's all about greed. The Chinese are the biggest wildlife criminals in the world. The they kill endangered elephants and rhinos for their ivory, the kill endangered tigers for their penises and they kill endangered bears for their gall bladders. I believe the ban lifting was part of the deal Trump made with the Chinese this week. Furthering my theory that he doesn't have a soul.

The saddest thing is the poachers are usually criminals anyway totally uninterested in working honestly.

We are a crappy species no doubt about it.

True.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-17-2017, 11:04 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(11-17-2017, 10:55 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Poachers could easily be stopped if the local Africans are given some types of incentives to help save the animals, instead of slaughtering them for the ivory. It's all about greed. The Chinese are the biggest wildlife criminals in the world. The they kill endangered elephants and rhinos for their ivory, the kill endangered tigers for their penises and they kill endangered bears for their gall bladders. I believe the ban lifting was part of the deal Trump made with the Chinese this week. Furthering my theory that he doesn't have a soul.

You mean like the incentives that the fees for legal hunts bring in? Or something else that doesn't offend your own personal sense of morality? And there's really no need to address the overwhelming confirmation bias in your last two statements.

No. Incentives that don't lead to the deaths of any elephants. Use some common sense. The goal is to stop all killing of elephants and rhinos while they are on the endangered species list. Not just the deaths by the ivory poachers. Allowing big game hunters to kill them and not the poachers, makes no sense. Both should be illegal and we should not be contributing to this massacre by allowing any part of elephant carcasses into this country. It's not just my morality that is offended. Killing something for the act of killing, just because you're rich and you can is sick. Normal people can see this.

(11-17-2017, 11:35 AM)Kane Wrote:
(11-16-2017, 09:23 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Because these animals are already endangered. How hard is that to realize? Legal or not, that doesn't make it right. It's called, morals. Something Trump is severely lacking.
Morals are not universal they are relative. Sorry.

Also... it isn't for fun. There's a lot of big game hunting that is done and the money raised goes toward conservation efforts. 

But hey... there's no Russia collusion, there's a fake dossier, we're running out of things to reasonably argue against this administration, gotta find something to cry about.

News flash, even if Trump didn't lift this ban (that was only put in place BY Obama) the hunting would still go on.

You're right they are endangered species. But your problem should be with those governments that allow the hunting. Not with Trump allowing the imports. If the hunting wasn't allowed, there wouldn't be anything to import.

(11-17-2017, 10:55 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:  Furthering my theory that he doesn't have a soul.
It is a theory of many on the left that no one has a soul.

Agreed, but by allowing the import of elephant parts, we are now directly contributing to the slaughter. How do you not see that? This has nothing to do with Conservatives or Democrats. It's about doing the right thing and saving a species on the brink of extinction. 

As for the soul thing, I'm not liberal, so I don't care what they believe.

(11-17-2017, 06:33 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(11-17-2017, 11:04 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: You mean like the incentives that the fees for legal hunts bring in? Or something else that doesn't offend your own personal sense of morality? And there's really no need to address the overwhelming confirmation bias in your last two statements.

No. Incentives that don't lead to the deaths of any elephants. Use some common sense. The goal is to stop all killing of elephants and rhinos while they are on the endangered species list. Not just the deaths by the ivory poachers. Allowing big game hunters to kill them and not the poachers, makes no sense. Both should be illegal and we should not be contributing to this massacre by allowing any part of elephant carcasses into this country. It's not just my morality that is offended. Killing something for the act of killing, just because you're rich and you can is sick. Normal people can see this.

I disagree, a small harvest that yields the funds to protect the majority population is acceptable. Your last 3 sentences are contradictory.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

I read that they also pick the member of the herd which contributes little-to-nothing, so that the herd doesn't suffer as a result of the loss.

Besides, what incentives could they possibly come up with to stop poaching outside of monetary rewards? They don't have money. They don't have the ability to incentivize it.

(11-17-2017, 11:04 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: You mean like the incentives that the fees for legal hunts bring in? Or something else that doesn't offend your own personal sense of morality? And there's really no need to address the overwhelming confirmation bias in your last two statements.

I agree with you that elephants should be protected. It's even more important for rhinos. This is a big problem in poor African countries where ivory from one dead elephant can feed a family for a year. There has been a suggestion that we establish a colony of rhinos in the US, where they can roam free without being poached.

In this case, my understanding of these sanctioned hunts is that they are to thin the herd in overpopulated areas. This is nothing new, it has been going on for at least 20 years. While it would be ideal to instead move some elephants to places where the population is declining, that's both impractical and probably would just result in more deaths in those areas, since the cause of death in areas of high elephant mortality (probably poaching) would remain.

http://beta.latimes.com/opinion/opinion-...story.html

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

https://twitter.com/BiologistDan/status/...551351808/

I'll leave that here for everyone to glimpse at while debating whether or not dentists and filmmakers and Eric Trump should be allowed to hang elephant heads over their fireplace.

(11-17-2017, 10:02 PM)TJBender Wrote: https://twitter.com/BiologistDan/status/...551351808/

I'll leave that here for everyone to glimpse at while debating whether or not dentists and filmmakers and Eric Trump should be allowed to hang elephant heads over their fireplace.

No one is answering the question.

Most people don't like hunting these animals, but you're missing the point. If they don't allow people to come in an hunt them as outrageous costs, then they don't have the money to support the remaining herd. What would you have them do?

Welp.

How will they complain about this move?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(11-18-2017, 11:10 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Welp.

I'm happy about this move. Hopefully the backlash will outweigh the influence his sons (big game hunters,) have over him and his mind can be changed.

(This post was last modified: 11-19-2017, 01:00 AM by HandsomeRob86.)

Agree, there is no reasonable justification for killing elephants, they aren't overrunning the world like deers due to lack of predictors or anything like that. Also a 25k fee is a joke, thats a drop in the bucket for 'conservation.' make it a cool million and at least I might think its doing something.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

(11-17-2017, 10:18 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:
(11-17-2017, 10:02 PM)TJBender Wrote: https://twitter.com/BiologistDan/status/...551351808/

No one is answering the question.

Most people don't like hunting these animals, but you're missing the point. If they don't allow people to come in an hunt them as outrageous costs, then they don't have the money to support the remaining herd. What would you have them do?

25k is not outrageously high at all. Its ridiculously low for an animal with a population of 415k to 700k (est) in the whole continent (down from 1.3 million in 1980). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_elephant.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

Dammit trump I like elephants.
Go Jags!
*To stay up for atleast 2 years 3/6/17
2016 draft players I think will be good
  • On the Fournette train, will be best back of his class 3/6/17
  • Lattimore please,  Lockdowns on both sides would be nice
  • Engram at TE and the MJD clone Samaje Perine

(11-18-2017, 01:41 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(11-18-2017, 11:10 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Welp.

I'm happy about this move. Hopefully the backlash will outweigh the influence his sons (big game hunters,) have over him and his mind can be changed.

There you go again, you should've stopped after the first sentence.

(11-19-2017, 01:08 AM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote:
(11-17-2017, 10:18 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: No one is answering the question.

25k is not outrageously high at all. Its ridiculously low for an animal with a population of 415k to 700k (est) in the whole continent (down from 1.3 million in 1980). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_elephant.

In the US 25k doesn't seem like much (but it is, the vast majority of the country doesn't even make that in a year).

In Africa, 25k is like 5 million dollars. It pays for quite a bit of actual animal conservation.

(11-19-2017, 08:19 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(11-18-2017, 01:41 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I'm happy about this move. Hopefully the backlash will outweigh the influence his sons (big game hunters,) have over him and his mind can be changed.

There you go again, you should've stopped after the first sentence.

No. It isn't stopped completely, it's just on hold, so the rest of my statement is valid.

(11-19-2017, 09:59 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(11-19-2017, 08:19 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: There you go again, you should've stopped after the first sentence.

No. It isn't stopped completely, it's just on hold, so the rest of my statement is valid.

No, the rest of your statement is derp.

(11-19-2017, 09:48 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(11-19-2017, 01:08 AM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote: 25k is not outrageously high at all. Its ridiculously low for an animal with a population of 415k to 700k (est) in the whole continent (down from 1.3 million in 1980). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_elephant.

In the US 25k doesn't seem like much (but it is, the vast majority of the country doesn't even make that in a year).

In Africa, 25k is like 5 million dollars. It pays for quite a bit of actual animal conservation.

Regarding the part in bold, that's not true.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(11-19-2017, 11:35 AM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(11-19-2017, 09:48 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: In the US 25k doesn't seem like much (but it is, the vast majority of the country doesn't even make that in a year).

Regarding the part in bold, that's not true.

According to the last U.S. Census, the average income in the United States is $56,516.

For the record, I believe elephants should get trophies. Seems kind of unfair, honestly.