Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles is driving me nuts.

(This post was last modified: 12-05-2017, 09:09 PM by Eric1.)

(12-05-2017, 08:57 PM)Upper Wrote:
(12-05-2017, 08:39 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Name the "almost guaranteed multiple upgrades available in FA".

Cousins, one of Keenum/Bridgewater, Bradford, and good chance for Tyrod and Eli.

Bridgewater hasn't taking a single meaningful pass in 2 years, yet he's a guaranteed upgrade? lol..

Bradford can't stay on the field. He literally hurts his knees just moving around. He's a 30 year old, playing in a 60 year old's body...

Keenum is doing exactly what Bortles is doing for us. Being carried by a great Defense. Make a few plays here and there. He isn't an upgrade.

Cousins would be an upgrade, but not a $25 mil+++ a year upgrade. He isn't that good.

Eli's best days are long behind him. What does he have left to play for? He's starting his decline and throws a bunch of INTs as well.

I still don't see what the love affair for Tyrod is. The Bills have been trying to get rid of him for years because he isn't good, yet you can't just dump somebody when you have nobody behind him. They got the first hand experience of what happens when you try to. It's called 5 INTs in one half of football by a rookie who had no business being on the field.

(12-05-2017, 08:59 PM)Upper Wrote:
(12-05-2017, 07:11 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: Third, he's been without his #1 WR all year, his #2 for a few weeks now and we've faced some of the best pass defenses in the league. 

That's why we'd "be happy with keeping Blake"

But other than the Ravens who self admittedly completely botched their first and only attempt at a London game, Blake has been bad against the good defenses he has played. He was passable against the Bengals, and poor against the Rams, Steelers, and Chargers. And there is still virtually no QB you are less confident in if the game is on the line. Pray the defense and special teams dominate, or we lose. That's been the entire year.

(12-05-2017, 08:59 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Because some of us have enough sense to know that QBs don't grow on trees in the NFL. You don't just get rid of an Average+ QB when you literally have nothing behind him. We can sit here all day and talk about how there should be upgrades in the Draft and FA, but at the end of the day, how often does that really pan out? Not often.

I'm still of the belief that we'll bring in another QB through the draft, or via FA, because Bortles can be upgraded, but that doesn't mean you just dump him and throw all your eggs into a Rookie's basket, or some FA. The grass isn't always greener on the other side and you should already know this, if you're a fan of this team.

If the "average+" part of your statement was correct then I would agree with everything you just said, but unfortunately it isn't. He's still below average in virtually every way. Man facing the UDFA rookie CB1 Colts really skews opinions.

It doesn't skew my opinion. I only got to watch the last 2 minutes of the game. I slept through it because I didn't get to sleep until 6am the night before, due to being out all Saturday night. So I didn't even get to see him play in the game.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-05-2017, 08:59 PM)Upper Wrote:
(12-05-2017, 07:11 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: Third, he's been without his #1 WR all year, his #2 for a few weeks now and we've faced some of the best pass defenses in the league. 

That's why we'd "be happy with keeping Blake"

But other than the Ravens who self admittedly completely botched their first and only attempt at a London game, Blake has been bad against the good defenses he has played. He was passable against the Bengals, and poor against the Rams, Steelers, and Chargers. And there is still virtually no QB you are less confident in if the game is on the line. Pray the defense and special teams dominate, or we lose. That's been the entire year.

You're almost as bad to argue with as JDub. 

Baltimore QB rating: 68.2 Blake: 128.2
Cincy: 80.3 Blake: 91.9
Rams: 77.3 Blake: 83.2
Steelers: 78.7 Blake: 48.2 (Shazier "INT")
Chargers: 76.6 Blake: 60.3 

Without his #1 WR. So he outperformed the averages in 3 of 5. The Steelers game he would have been at 78 in the Steelers game if not for the INT that was more a fumble than it was intercepted. Admittedly he was rough against the Chargers. 

I mean, that's a pretty solid track against 5 of the best pass defenses
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(12-05-2017, 09:27 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(12-05-2017, 08:59 PM)Upper Wrote: But other than the Ravens who self admittedly completely botched their first and only attempt at a London game, Blake has been bad against the good defenses he has played. He was passable against the Bengals, and poor against the Rams, Steelers, and Chargers. And there is still virtually no QB you are less confident in if the game is on the line. Pray the defense and special teams dominate, or we lose. That's been the entire year.

Without his #1 WR. So he outperformed the averages in 3 of 5. The Steelers game he would have been at 78 in the Steelers game if not for the INT that was more a fumble than it was intercepted. Admittedly he was rough against the Chargers. 

Bortles has been playing really well. He's on his way to earning himself a spot on the roster next season.

With that being said, there are guys that could definitely make the jaguars more dangerous, and really put us over the top.

Now QBs don't grow on trees and between Blake playing as well as he has and his durability, we could also do a lot worse.

I'm still hoping we can draft Mayfield, and let him sit behind bortles (or whatever stopgap) until he's ready.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

(12-05-2017, 10:03 PM)Achilles Wrote:
(12-05-2017, 09:27 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: You're almost as bad to argue with as JDub. 

Bortles has been playing really well. He's on his way to earning himself a spot on the roster next season.

With that being said, there are guys that could definitely make the jaguars more dangerous, and really put us over the top.

Now QBs don't grow on trees and between Blake playing as well as he has and his durability, we could also do a lot worse.

I'm still hoping we can draft Mayfield, and let him sit behind bortles (or whatever stopgap) until he's ready.

And I completely agree. I'd love to get Mayfield behind an improving Bortles. 

Upper just apparently thinks if someone is ok with Blake coming back next year that they must want the same Blake and Henne combo.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Bortles looked pretty great out there last Sunday! I'm not sure if it was due to playing against a poor defense but he has a complete game. The throw to Keelan Cole along the sideline was a thing of beauty. It was nice to see the WR group ball out.
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

Learn from the great collapse of 2023.  

[Image: giphy_s_zpsqpbwoj7p.gif]

If Blake can go over 300 and a W against Seattle.

Do people really think we lose the Jets or Arizona game with Cousins or Alex Smith at QB?

(This post was last modified: 12-05-2017, 11:11 PM by imtheblkranger.)

(12-05-2017, 10:55 PM)jagsfan06 Wrote: Bortles looked pretty great out there last Sunday!  I'm not sure if it was due to playing against a poor defense but he has a complete game. The throw to Keelan Cole along the sideline was a thing of beauty. It was nice to see the WR group ball out.

That one and the intermediate throw to Westbrook for like 22 yards were beautiful.

(12-05-2017, 11:07 PM)JNev Wrote: Do people really think we lose the Jets or Arizona game with Cousins or Alex Smith at QB?

Both of those games would have been won if the WRs caught perfectly thrown passes by Blake that were dropped.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(12-05-2017, 11:07 PM)JNev Wrote: Do people really think we lose the Jets or Arizona game with Cousins or Alex Smith at QB?

I guess you're not rational enough to remember that Alex Smith just lost to the Jets last week with better offensive pieces around him, a Hall of Fame coach, and they good to great defense. Please get out your feelings on the Blake Bortles situation
[Image: giphy.gif]

(12-05-2017, 08:57 PM)Upper Wrote:
(12-05-2017, 08:39 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Name the "almost guaranteed multiple upgrades available in FA".

Cousins, one of Keenum/Bridgewater, Bradford, and good chance for Tyrod and Eli.

Taylor is not an upgrade.

Manning is too old.

Why would anyone want Bradford?  When has he ever stayed healthy?  Ever?

Cousins is overrated and will not be worth the money that someone is going to end up paying him.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(12-06-2017, 08:43 AM)Rico Wrote: Taylor is not an upgrade.

Manning is too old.

Cousins is overrated and will not be worth the money that someone is going to end up paying him.

Taylor is an upgrade in every way except durability. Passer rating, ANY/A, comp%, INT%...all go to Taylor. He'd run the offense we want to run very well.

Manning is old, but would be a good bridge for our draft pick. I would much, much rather have Manning as the mentor for whoever that QB is than Bortles too.

Bradford played 14 games two years ago, and 15 games last year...while playing like a dark horse MVP candidate. He's way better than Blake when he is healthy.

Cousins isn't overrated he's a top ~10 QB, but he will be overpaid simply because that's how FA works. I don't really want him as the top option, but the question just asked who was better and he is clearly much better.

If your argument is you are so petrified of an injury then fine stick with Blake he is durable. If you want to try to make a legitimate push for a super bowl though...

(12-06-2017, 04:02 PM)Upper Wrote:
(12-06-2017, 08:43 AM)Rico Wrote: Taylor is not an upgrade.

Manning is too old.

Taylor is an upgrade in every way except durability. Passer rating, ANY/A, comp%, INT%...all go to Taylor. He'd run the offense we want to run very well.

Manning is old, but would be a good bridge for our draft pick. I would much, much rather have Manning as the mentor for whoever that QB is than Bortles too.

Bradford played 14 games two years ago, and 15 games last year...while playing like a dark horse MVP candidate. He's way better than Blake when he is healthy.

Cousins isn't overrated he's a top ~10 QB, but he will be overpaid simply because that's how FA works. I don't really want him as the top option, but the question just asked who was better and he is clearly much better.

If your argument is you are so petrified of an injury then fine stick with Blake he is durable. If you want to try to make a legitimate push for a super bowl though...

You've obviously got some different opinions of these players than I do.  Then again, you have the 'anybody but Bortles syndrome' so that quite obviously affects it.

(12-06-2017, 04:47 PM)Rico Wrote:
(12-06-2017, 04:02 PM)Upper Wrote: Taylor is an upgrade in every way except durability. Passer rating, ANY/A, comp%, INT%...all go to Taylor. He'd run the offense we want to run very well.

You've obviously got some different opinions of these players than I do.  Then again, you have the 'anybody but Bortles syndrome' so that quite obviously affects it.

So Taylor is not an upgrade?   Based on what?  Didn't buffalo say Marcel was a waste?  I think he's doing a great job here.   So that says what about that FO?  Buffalo record was what with Taylor? And is what now?
Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

Ive given up trying to be a coach, Ima just root for him. He has had some wild up and downs, yeah. And maybe its just cause we finally have a winning season, but I'm starting to have a little faith in him. Also though I have seen so many pretty throws deep get dropped by our recieviers. If we had our starters in, i think he would look even more impressive. He may never be a brady, but he could be a Brett Farve (albiet a slightly weaker arm)

Made Kurt Warner's week 13 list.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-to...Bs-Week-13
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(12-05-2017, 09:27 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(12-05-2017, 08:59 PM)Upper Wrote: But other than the Ravens who self admittedly completely botched their first and only attempt at a London game, Blake has been bad against the good defenses he has played. He was passable against the Bengals, and poor against the Rams, Steelers, and Chargers. And there is still virtually no QB you are less confident in if the game is on the line. Pray the defense and special teams dominate, or we lose. That's been the entire year.

To expand on this. 

Seahawks allowing 79.9 rating. 

Bortles today: 123.7

But that must be because Seattle didn't travel well, just like Baltimore.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(12-10-2017, 10:38 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: To expand on this. 

Seahawks allowing 79.9 rating. 

Bortles today: 123.7

But that must be because Seattle didn't travel well, just like Baltimore.

He played well today against a defense that wound up missing 5 pro bowlers. Good for him, legitimately. He is up to pretty much exactly average for the season. That's better than I would have expected coming into the year, it's still not enough to do any more than let him play out the 5th year option.

(This post was last modified: 12-11-2017, 09:04 AM by imtheblkranger.)

Like [BLEEP] clock work.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(12-11-2017, 09:04 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote: Like [BLEEP] clock work.

Is there something wrong with giving credit while still acknowledging reality? I know this is a message board so that's not exactly smiled upon, but that's how I do it sorry if you expect everything to be drenched in bias.

(12-11-2017, 09:10 AM)Upper Wrote:
(12-11-2017, 09:04 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote: Like [BLEEP] clock work.

Is there something wrong with giving credit while still acknowledging reality? I know this is a message board so that's not exactly smiled upon, but that's how I do it sorry if you expect everything to be drenched in bias.

What you thing =/= reality