Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Baker Mayfield

bleacherreport.com/articles/1679840-best-nfl-qbs-the-big-12-has-produced

Troy Aikman is the best QB and he graduated from UCLA.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-14-2017, 12:18 PM)Kane Wrote:
(12-13-2017, 03:00 PM)Dumptruck Wrote: I have a severe allergy to Big 12 QBs. They put up videogame numbers and generally don't amount to much in the pros.

What college conference is known for putting out good NFL QBs?

Prior to the season start these were the projected starters for each NFL team by conference.

ACC

Big 12

Big Ten

Pac-12

SEC

Non-Power Five

Fairly spread out... but yeah... Big 12 is laggin behind

I just judge them individually on their own merits.

(12-19-2017, 12:27 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-14-2017, 12:18 PM)Kane Wrote: What college conference is known for putting out good NFL QBs?

Prior to the season start these were the projected starters for each NFL team by conference.

ACC

Big 12

Big Ten

Pac-12

SEC

Non-Power Five

Fairly spread out... but yeah... Big 12 is laggin behind

I just judge them individually on their own merits.

Yeah... I think conference doesn't matter.
But QBs who come from pro-style systems SHOULD be more ready.

But it's about when and where you get drafted and what coach staff you work under that really determines how successful you can be early.

I don't care where they come from, Hell, they can play for the AAC (what up UCF) for all I care, just perform.

The way I feel watching Baker Mayfield tonight I can only describe as the giant boner Gruden gets when he talks about Winston.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

14:48 of 4th qtr, just call him BBint

Impressive drive to tie the game.
Jaguars Fundamentalist

(01-01-2018, 09:24 PM)Eye of the Storm Wrote: Impressive drive to tie the game.

Really hope he winds up a jag
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

(01-01-2018, 09:29 PM)Achilles Wrote:
(01-01-2018, 09:24 PM)Eye of the Storm Wrote: Impressive drive to tie the game.

Really hope he winds up a jag

Meh.

How do you not let Mayfield throw the ball at all there?
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(This post was last modified: 01-01-2018, 10:42 PM by Eye of the Storm.)

(01-01-2018, 10:06 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: How do you not let Mayfield throw the ball at all there?

I thought the play calling was really conservative by both team in overtime tbh.

(01-01-2018, 10:42 PM)Eye of the Storm Wrote:
(01-01-2018, 10:06 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: How do you not let Mayfield throw the ball at all there?

I thought the play calling was really conservative by both teams in overtime tbh.

Jaguars Fundamentalist

My opinion remains unchanged on Mayfield. Once he was forced to stay in the pocket, Mayfield looked pretty pedestrian.

(01-02-2018, 09:15 AM)Dumptruck Wrote: My opinion remains unchanged on Mayfield. Once he was forced to stay in the pocket, Mayfield looked pretty pedestrian.

Yup, Johnny Manziel 2.0.

All of a sudden, this "amazing" quarterback class is not looking so great. The only guy who improved his draft status after the bowl games was Rosen, and that's because he didn't play. Rudolph played well, but he didn't exactly play a top-notch defense. It wouldn't shock me if Jackson and Mayfield drop to the 2nd round.

I don’t like him. His personality may be the worst part about him too. He’s going to drive away a lot of teams.

(01-02-2018, 11:45 AM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: I don’t like him. His personality may be the worst part about him too. He’s going to drive away a lot of teams.

See I like his personality. And it fits the attitude of this  Jags team.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

I don't even consider his personality. Mayfield has all of the limitations that Manziel had on the field. Small and thus you have to move the pocket. That doesn't work against an SEC team. It certainly wouldn't work against an NFL team. Not every short QB is Russell Wilson. The exception does not make the norm.

(01-02-2018, 02:48 PM)Dumptruck Wrote: I don't even consider his personality. Mayfield has all of the limitations that Manziel had on the field. Small and thus you have to move the pocket. That doesn't work against an SEC team. It certainly wouldn't work against an NFL team. Not every short QB is Russell Wilson. The exception does not make the norm.

I hated Manziel, but Mayfield IS NOT Manziel. Manziel was skinny and had the body of a 13 year old boy. He also put outside stuff ahead of football. Mayfield is stout, has a stronger lower body and is passionate about the game. Maybe too passionate at times. He is also mobile enough to move around in the pocket, but I wouldn't really call him a running QB, like Manziel was. I see him more as a Drew Brees type than a Russell Wilson type. He's been fantastic all year, but now people are bagging on him, because his team was eliminated from the playoffs when the loss was not even his fault. Unbelievable!

(01-02-2018, 03:09 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(01-02-2018, 02:48 PM)Dumptruck Wrote: I don't even consider his personality. Mayfield has all of the limitations that Manziel had on the field. Small and thus you have to move the pocket. That doesn't work against an SEC team. It certainly wouldn't work against an NFL team. Not every short QB is Russell Wilson. The exception does not make the norm.

I hated Manziel, but Mayfield IS NOT Manziel. Manziel was skinny and had the body of a 13 year old boy. He also put outside stuff ahead of football. Mayfield is stout, has a stronger lower body and is passionate about the game. Maybe too passionate at times. He is also mobile enough to move around in the pocket, but I wouldn't really call him a running QB, like Manziel was. I see him more as a Drew Brees type than a Russell Wilson type. He's been fantastic all year, but now people are bagging on him, because his team was eliminated from the playoffs when the loss was not even his fault. Unbelievable!

If Mayfield did fall to the Jaguars at the end of round 1, they would have to seriously consider it. He still would be a little risky due to his size, but his leadership and history of winning at all levels should not be underestimated. That was what stood out about Watson and so far he looks like the real deal.

(This post was last modified: 01-02-2018, 04:33 PM by Dumptruck.)

(01-02-2018, 03:09 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

Manziel was short and thus you had to move the pocket to accommodate him. I think Mayfield will have the same issue. I had issues with Mayfield well before the bowl game. He plays in a conference that doesn't play defense and all of the QBs put up absurd numbers. None of them amount to much when they get to the pros. 

I certainly don't see any Drew Brees in Mayfield's game.

(01-02-2018, 04:11 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(01-02-2018, 03:09 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I hated Manziel, but Mayfield IS NOT Manziel. Manziel was skinny and had the body of a 13 year old boy. He also put outside stuff ahead of football. Mayfield is stout, has a stronger lower body and is passionate about the game. Maybe too passionate at times. He is also mobile enough to move around in the pocket, but I wouldn't really call him a running QB, like Manziel was. I see him more as a Drew Brees type than a Russell Wilson type. He's been fantastic all year, but now people are bagging on him, because his team was eliminated from the playoffs when the loss was not even his fault. Unbelievable!

If Mayfield did fall to the Jaguars at the end of round 1, they would have to seriously consider it. He still would be a little risky due to his size, but his leadership and history of winning at all levels should not be underestimated. That was what stood out about Watson and so far he looks like the real deal.

Being a winner in college is meaningless in the pros if you don't have the physical or mental abilities to perform at that level. Tebow, Leinart, Vince Young, and Wuerrfel were all winners in college.

(01-01-2018, 07:53 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: The way I feel watching Baker Mayfield tonight I can only describe as the giant boner Gruden gets when he talks about Winston.

[Image: 200w.webp#1-grid1]