Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Baker Mayfield

Tonight Mayfield won the Heisman, which was no surprise at all. What I was paying particularly close attention to was when Mayfield won the award, he was standing right in front of some former players, shaking their hands. A lot has been said of Mayfield's height or lack thereof. Just doing an eyeball comparison, he stood directly in front of Doug Flutie who is 5'10" as the former QB congratulated him. Mayfield was visibly taller and was almost looking over the top of Flutie's head. He then moved down the line to Charles Woodson, who measured at the Combine as 6'1". Just from looking at the two in relation to one another, they appeared to be the exact same height. If there was a difference, I didn't see it. If there was, I would think it would be less than an inch. With that said, I would be shocked if Mayfield measured under 6' tall, which is generally the accepted minimum of what a QB should be to have success in the NFL, (even though Russell Wilson tore that myth apart when he measured a tad under 5'11"). If Mayfield measures closer to 6'1", I can see him going in the top 5 picks. If he is closer to 6' tall, I think he falls no further than the Jets. Either way, we'll probably have to trade up to get him.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

By all reports Mayfield is 6005. So 6ft and a bit. Real sturdy at 220 aswell. Would have no issue taking him top 5.

(12-10-2017, 01:38 AM)JackCity Wrote: By all reports Mayfield is 6005. So 6ft and a bit. Real sturdy at 220 aswell. Would have no issue taking him top 5.

Neither would I. I hated Johnny Manziel's stature, but that was less about his height and more about the fact that he had a body like a 13 year old boy. He looked like he'd get snapped in half at any time. Mayfield on the other hand, has meat on his frame and looks like he would be able to take some good hits. I know it's cliche' but it's true, Mayfield reminds me of Drew Brees and if he is truly 6' 1/2", that would make him slightly taller than Brees. Drew's official measurement was 6' 1/8". Mayfield is accurate, mobile, makes quick reads and shows good touch. Out of the 3 QB's I like in round 1, I have him neck and neck with Rudolph. I love the accuracy and touch both show on their passes and I like the leadership of both guys. They both have good arm strength, but neither have cannons. Despite this, both show great range and touch on their deep passes. Rosen has a great arm too, but I'm more concerned with him when it comes to injuries. Also, Todd McShay, said there is rumblings that he is not the most "liked" person on the team. He wouldn't elaborate much other than to say he doesn't always treat people that well. When I hear stuff like that, I think Jay Cutler. I'd still draft Rosen, but I'd rather have Mayfield or Rudolph. Teammates and coaches speak very highly of them. I'm praying we come out of the draft with one of those 3 guys, but I wouldn't throw a fit if we ended up with Riley Ferguson either. He impressed me at the end of the season, even though I wouldn't start him right away, like I would the other three. Ferguson needs a little time, but he has real potential.

Yep, we gotta be prepared to make the big Chiefs/Texans move up if Mayfield/Jackson/Rosen happens to slip to the early teens or so.

(12-10-2017, 01:33 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Tonight Mayfield won the Heisman, which was no surprise at all. What I was paying particularly close attention to was when Mayfield won the award, he was standing right in front of some former players, shaking their hands. A lot has been said of Mayfield's height or lack thereof. Just doing an eyeball comparison, he stood directly in front of Doug Flutie who is 5'10" as the former QB congratulated him. Mayfield was visibly taller and was almost looking over the top of Flutie's head. He then moved down the line to Charles Woodson, who measured at the Combine as 6'1". Just from looking at the two in relation to one another, they appeared to be the exact same height. If there was a difference, I didn't see it. If there was, I would think it would be less than an inch. With that said, I would be shocked if Mayfield measured under 6' tall, which is generally the accepted minimum of what a QB should be to have success in the NFL, (even though Russell Wilson tore that myth apart when he measured a tad under 5'11"). If Mayfield measures closer to 6'1", I can see him going in the top 5 picks. If he is closer to 6' tall, I think he falls no further than the Jets. Either way, we'll probably have to trade up to get him.

I guess you didn't see the 2 inch heelsSmile

(This post was last modified: 12-10-2017, 12:56 PM by imtheblkranger.)

There are still scouts projecting him 2nd round
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(12-10-2017, 12:46 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(12-10-2017, 01:33 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Tonight Mayfield won the Heisman, which was no surprise at all. What I was paying particularly close attention to was when Mayfield won the award, he was standing right in front of some former players, shaking their hands. A lot has been said of Mayfield's height or lack thereof. Just doing an eyeball comparison, he stood directly in front of Doug Flutie who is 5'10" as the former QB congratulated him. Mayfield was visibly taller and was almost looking over the top of Flutie's head. He then moved down the line to Charles Woodson, who measured at the Combine as 6'1". Just from looking at the two in relation to one another, they appeared to be the exact same height. If there was a difference, I didn't see it. If there was, I would think it would be less than an inch. With that said, I would be shocked if Mayfield measured under 6' tall, which is generally the accepted minimum of what a QB should be to have success in the NFL, (even though Russell Wilson tore that myth apart when he measured a tad under 5'11"). If Mayfield measures closer to 6'1", I can see him going in the top 5 picks. If he is closer to 6' tall, I think he falls no further than the Jets. Either way, we'll probably have to trade up to get him.

I guess you didn't see the 2 inch heelsSmile

I assumed that all those former players were wearing dress shoes with elevated heels, so it would all balance out. Everyone in that room was probably in shoes that made them 2 inches taller than what they would be in bare feet.

(12-10-2017, 12:55 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: There are still scouts projecting him 2nd round

I was watching ESPN the other day and Todd McShay and Mel Kiper both agreed that they believe he will go somewhere high in round 1. The guy that they projected much lower was Lavar Jackson. They even suggested that he may need to find a new position to play in the NFL. I was really surprised by this. While I'm certainly no Jackson fan, I assumed he would always be a high first rounder, based on his athletic ability alone. They had Jackson outside of their top 5 QB's. Both had Josh Allen ranked either 2nd or 3rd in this draft class and for the life of me, I just don't get it. What do they see in him that I don't?

(12-10-2017, 03:19 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-10-2017, 12:55 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: There are still scouts projecting him 2nd round

I was watching ESPN the other day and Todd McShay and Mel Kiper both agreed that they believe he will go somewhere high in round 1. The guy that they projected much lower was Lavar Jackson. They even suggested that he may need to find a new position to play in the NFL. I was really surprised by this. While I'm certainly no Jackson fan, I assumed he would always be a high first rounder, based on his athletic ability alone. They had Jackson outside of their top 5 QB's. Both had Josh Allen ranked either 2nd or 3rd in this draft class and for the life of me, I just don't get it. What do they see in him that I don't?

Allen is that one QB that everyone is gonna hype going into the draft and the guys whose jobs actually depend on making the pick will pass.
Until the 2nd or 3rd at least.

Unless he just shows out at combine and such.

(12-11-2017, 12:05 PM)Kane Wrote:
(12-10-2017, 03:19 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I was watching ESPN the other day and Todd McShay and Mel Kiper both agreed that they believe he will go somewhere high in round 1. The guy that they projected much lower was Lavar Jackson. They even suggested that he may need to find a new position to play in the NFL. I was really surprised by this. While I'm certainly no Jackson fan, I assumed he would always be a high first rounder, based on his athletic ability alone. They had Jackson outside of their top 5 QB's. Both had Josh Allen ranked either 2nd or 3rd in this draft class and for the life of me, I just don't get it. What do they see in him that I don't?

Allen is that one QB that everyone is gonna hype going into the draft and the guys whose jobs actually depend on making the pick will pass.
Until the 2nd or 3rd at least.

Unless he just shows out at combine and such.

I believe he'll get taken in the first round out of nothing more than shear desperation, because A lot of teams need starting QB's and teams like Pittsburgh, Arizona, L.A. Chargers, New England and New Orleans will have to start thinking about grooming a successor to their current QB. I just don't think Allen is gonna go ahead of guys like Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, Rudolph or Jackson. Of of those guys I mentioned, I see Allen having much less success in the NFL. I just can't see why some scouts have him ahead of those guys. He may prove me wrong, but he looks very inconsistent and lacks accuracy.

ESPN just reported Mayfield was wearing stilettos during the Heisman Presentation.  Here is the pic they snapped of him

[Image: Scary-Reason-You-Should-Never-Wear-Stilettos.jpg]

That looks painful.

(This post was last modified: 12-13-2017, 08:16 AM by Caldrac.)

Mayfield may not even be in the discussion if Bortles does everything in his power over the next three weeks to help the team finish 12 - 4. If he wins 1 play-off game or at least has a winning performance in a losing effort he's not going anywhere. Coughlin will keep building around him. Because if he DOES pull that off the biggest argument will be that he did it with no Allen Robinson, really no Allen Hurns, an inconsistent Marqise Lee and then two rookies in Cole and Westbrook.

Honestly I don't want to have to draft a QB at all in RD1 next year. We should be eye balling either a quality offensive lineman or a balanced tight end late in RD1 next year. Not a QB. I don't see Mayfield going in the top five either. He's a great college Quarterback. He's a Heisman trophy winner. He could potentially win the National Championship game. That all looks fine and dandy on paper. Buuuuuuuuut. He's also shown tremendous lack of responsibility, a lack of respect for authority, and a a few classless acts on the field whether it was before, during or after a win.

All of these characteristics will be considered come draft day. Is he going to be the next Wilson or Wentz? Or is he going to be the next Manziel or Couch? He's got a lot of work to do. And he's going to be heavily scrutinized by any team interviewing him. Just don't know if you can completely trust the kid. And that's why I don't see him as a top five pick. I think the slot will be anywhere from the 10th spot and down in all honesty. And that's being generous because we have so many teams entering next year with HUGE questions at QB whether it's a matter of teams trying to fill a void now or in the future. He'll more than likely be selected out of desperation.

And for me personally this QB class is starting to dwindle down to where it feels more like 2011 and not 2004. You might get one star QB out of 2018 instead of three like most people were hoping for. I don't see an Eli Manning, Philip Rivers or Ben Roethlisberger QB class of prospects this year. A lot of draft hopefuls that flaked out.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(12-13-2017, 08:09 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Mayfield may not even be in the discussion if Bortles does everything in his power over the next three weeks to help the team finish 12 - 4. If he wins 1 play-off game or at least has a winning performance in a losing effort he's not going anywhere. Coughlin will keep building around him. Because if he DOES pull that off the biggest argument will be that he did it with no Allen Robinson, really no Allen Hurns, an inconsistent Marqise Lee and then two rookies in Cole and Westbrook.

Honestly I don't want to have to draft a QB at all in RD1 next year. We should be eye balling either a quality offensive lineman or a balanced tight end late in RD1 next year. Not a QB. I don't see Mayfield going in the top five either. He's a great college Quarterback. He's a Heisman trophy winner. He could potentially win the National Championship game. That all looks fine and dandy on paper. Buuuuuuuuut. He's also shown tremendous lack of responsibility, a lack of respect for authority, and a a few classless acts on the field whether it was before, during or after a win.

All of these characteristics will be considered come draft day. Is he going to be the next Wilson or Wentz? Or is he going to be the next Manziel or Couch? He's got a lot of work to do. And he's going to be heavily scrutinized by any team interviewing him. Just don't know if you can completely trust the kid. And that's why I don't see him as a top five pick. I think the slot will be anywhere from the 10th spot and down in all honesty. And that's being generous because we have so many teams entering next year with HUGE questions at QB whether it's a matter of teams trying to fill a void now or in the future. He'll more than likely be selected out of desperation.

And for me personally this QB class is starting to dwindle down to where it feels more like 2011 and not 2004. You might get one star QB out of 2018 instead of three like most people were hoping for. I don't see an Eli Manning, Philip Rivers or Ben Roethlisberger QB class of prospects this year. A lot of draft hopefuls that flaked out.

If we are content to sit back and keep Bortles, I think I'm going to have to take some time away from football. This is the best team we've ever had, but the weak link is still QB. Bortles will never have a ceiling any higher than serviceable and we all know how low his floor can go. Personally, I see this as a very deep first round QB class and we could possibly find an improvement in round 2 as well. Do I wanna have to draft another QB? No, but I believe it's necessary. If we pass up a QB from this class and Bortles reverts to his 2016 form, we're screwed for years to come. Other than improvements on the O-Line and a starting TE, I see no other glaring needs. It would be nice to add another receiver and depth at LB and CB, but those aren't "must haves." We could realistically find the pieces in this draft to form a dynasty for years to come, but we have to be willing to take a risk and draft a QB. If we don't, I believe all the money we spent on defense, will be for nothing, if the ultimate goal is a Superbowl.

(12-12-2017, 03:32 PM)scottyg Wrote: That looks painful.

yep, definitely a factor that prevents me from going transgender

(12-13-2017, 11:08 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-13-2017, 08:09 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Mayfield may not even be in the discussion if Bortles does everything in his power over the next three weeks to help the team finish 12 - 4. If he wins 1 play-off game or at least has a winning performance in a losing effort he's not going anywhere. Coughlin will keep building around him. Because if he DOES pull that off the biggest argument will be that he did it with no Allen Robinson, really no Allen Hurns, an inconsistent Marqise Lee and then two rookies in Cole and Westbrook.

If we are content to sit back and keep Bortles, I think I'm going to have to take some time away from football. This is the best team we've ever had, but the weak link is still QB. Bortles will never have a ceiling any higher than serviceable and we all know how low his floor can go. Personally, I see this as a very deep first round QB class and we could possibly find an improvement in round 2 as well. Do I wanna have to draft another QB? No, but I believe it's necessary. If we pass up a QB from this class and Bortles reverts to his 2016 form, we're screwed for years to come. Other than improvements on the O-Line and a starting TE, I see no other glaring needs. It would be nice to add another receiver and depth at LB and CB, but those aren't "must haves." We could realistically find the pieces in this draft to form a dynasty for years to come, but we have to be willing to take a risk and draft a QB. If we don't, I believe all the money we spent on defense, will be for nothing, if the ultimate goal is a Superbowl.

I am with you. But I don't see them moving up from more than likely anywhere between the 26th - 32nd position in the first round to position themselves inside the top 5 to land Mayfield. You would have to give up a TON to get him and that's a HUGE risk this team doesn't really have to take right now because of the ground game, because of the defense. 

I think they could address the position not once but twice next year. Get yourself a veteran QB that you know for a fact is better than Henne with recent starting experience. And then go after another QB prospect towards the bottom of RD2 or RD3 or maybe consider moving up from RD3 with your RD2 selection to come up early on RD2 and get your coveted passer while you still can. 

That's a low risk/high reward decision IMHO. We could use more depth in the offensive line just based on the injuries this year alone we should be looking to beef it up with quality talent. Which a lot of successful teams tend to do when they're consistently winning and picking late anyways. I am going to hold out and see what Bortles does though. Three games left to really shine like he's done the last two weeks. And then he's going to be leading a play off team for the first time in his career. If the team wins because of his play. Great. If the team loses because of his play. Well, we know what we should do.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(12-13-2017, 11:18 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(12-12-2017, 03:32 PM)scottyg Wrote: That looks painful.

yep, definitely a factor that prevents me from going transgender

What's the main factor?

(12-13-2017, 11:50 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(12-13-2017, 11:08 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: If we are content to sit back and keep Bortles, I think I'm going to have to take some time away from football. This is the best team we've ever had, but the weak link is still QB. Bortles will never have a ceiling any higher than serviceable and we all know how low his floor can go. Personally, I see this as a very deep first round QB class and we could possibly find an improvement in round 2 as well. Do I wanna have to draft another QB? No, but I believe it's necessary. If we pass up a QB from this class and Bortles reverts to his 2016 form, we're screwed for years to come. Other than improvements on the O-Line and a starting TE, I see no other glaring needs. It would be nice to add another receiver and depth at LB and CB, but those aren't "must haves." We could realistically find the pieces in this draft to form a dynasty for years to come, but we have to be willing to take a risk and draft a QB. If we don't, I believe all the money we spent on defense, will be for nothing, if the ultimate goal is a Superbowl.

I am with you. But I don't see them moving up from more than likely anywhere between the 26th - 32nd position in the first round to position themselves inside the top 5 to land Mayfield. You would have to give up a TON to get him and that's a HUGE risk this team doesn't really have to take right now because of the ground game, because of the defense. 

I think they could address the position not once but twice next year. Get yourself a veteran QB that you know for a fact is better than Henne with recent starting experience. And then go after another QB prospect towards the bottom of RD2 or RD3 or maybe consider moving up from RD3 with your RD2 selection to come up early on RD2 and get your coveted passer while you still can. 

That's a low risk/high reward decision IMHO. We could use more depth in the offensive line just based on the injuries this year alone we should be looking to beef it up with quality talent. Which a lot of successful teams tend to do when they're consistently winning and picking late anyways. I am going to hold out and see what Bortles does though. Three games left to really shine like he's done the last two weeks. And then he's going to be leading a play off team for the first time in his career. If the team wins because of his play. Great. If the team loses because of his play. Well, we know what we should do.

I just don't see next year's QB class being that good. In fact, from what I've seen this season, I'm really not interested at all in the QB's projected at the top of the 2019 draft, unless some small school QB comes out of nowhere to rise up the draft boards ala Carson Wentz. As far as getting a QB this year outside of the first round, the only one I'd have confidence that might turn into something good would be Riley Ferguson and he's far from perfect. If we would miss out on him, I don't really see the point in wasting a draft pick on a QB in rounds 3-7. The free agent QB class isn't that good either. Kirk Cousins is way too expensive and I'm positive Drew Brees re-signs with New Orleans and Alex Smith is tagged by Kansas City. As for the rest of the free agent class, I don't see a significant upgrade over Bortles. It's easy to sit back and take the easy, most cost effective way, but that limits growth. Kansas City traded all the way up from #27 to #10 last season and didn't give up that much at all. I'm not saying we have to trade into the top 5. Like I said, I'd be happy with Rosen, Mayfield or Rudolph. If we traded into the top 8-10, I believe we could still make a significant upgrade at the QB position while still being able to add a quality O-Lineman or two and a TE.

I have a severe allergy to Big 12 QBs. They put up videogame numbers and generally don't amount to much in the pros.

(This post was last modified: 12-14-2017, 12:20 PM by Kane.)

(12-13-2017, 03:00 PM)Dumptruck Wrote: I have a severe allergy to Big 12 QBs. They put up videogame numbers and generally don't amount to much in the pros.

What college conference is known for putting out good NFL QBs?

Prior to the season start these were the projected starters for each NFL team by conference.

ACC

Big 12

Big Ten

Pac-12

SEC

Non-Power Five

Fairly spread out... but yeah... Big 12 is laggin behind