Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
What happened to Fournette?

He's hurt. But it doesn't help that 1) o line isn't creating any space; 2) teams are putting 8-9 players in box. Blake has to audible out of those runs. And if we can pass better, he'll be able to get more. Tons of factors really.
Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I don’t know about his ankle and all of that but I see some vision problems that are starting to worry me just a bit.

Fragile Fournette -- just like college

I'm not jumping on some sort of bash LF train... Or, he's a bust or whatever...
But Fournette's issues in college were his injuries to his legs and ankles and his inability to create when the OL was handled.

Every year Fournette would beast, get hurt, and play Bama, and his stats would diminish the rest of the way.
I was against drafting him for these reasons along with not liking drafting RBs so high.

He's on the team now, so we need to hope for the best, but he needs better blocking up front and he needs to be fully healthy.

He doesn't even try to do anything at the line anymore, just a slow run like a big fullback into the back of his own lineman for 0-2 yards. If he is that "hurt" then its is completely idiotic to be playing him.

(This post was last modified: 01-10-2018, 03:21 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

He's pretty much our version of Nick Chubb vs Alabama who had 18 carries for 25 yards for a 1.4 YPC but the coaches refuse to recognize it's not working.

He ran harder against buffalo than he did the weeks before and I expect he will go all out against Pittsburgh.
We should see some more spectacular runs.
Hopefully he doesn't aggravate the injury

(01-10-2018, 03:04 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: I don’t know about his ankle and all of that but I see some vision problems that are starting to worry me just a bit.

I've definitely seen a half dozen or so plays that were likely designed to run inside - but the block by the Tackle or TE was giving him the space to run outside and the receiver(s) had cleared the area.  It's incredibly rare for him to improvise and bounce it outside in those situations. 
Marquee backs should see that stuff every so often and make big gains away from the original play design. He seems a bit too content to richochet off the back of a tackle or guard and into a gap filling LB sometimes. 
I still think he can have a solid game and help the team to a win Sunday, but a few of my doubts about the player being taken so high are showing up a bit.  

I do think the injury is playing into this stuff also as his second efforts lack the power they had early in the year and his cuts  - when he makes them - seem less sharp.

(01-10-2018, 03:55 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-10-2018, 03:04 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: I don’t know about his ankle and all of that but I see some vision problems that are starting to worry me just a bit.

I've definitely seen a half dozen or so plays that were likely designed to run inside - but the block by the Tackle or TE was giving him the space to run outside and the receiver(s) had cleared the area.  It's incredibly rare for him to improvise and bounce it outside in those situations. 
Marquee backs should see that stuff every so often and make big gains away from the original play design. He seems a bit too content to richochet off the back of a tackle or guard and into a gap filling LB sometimes. 
I still think he can have a solid game and help the team to a win Sunday, but a few of my doubts about the player being taken so high are showing up a bit.  

I do think the injury is playing into this stuff also as his second efforts lack the power they had early in the year and his cuts  - when he makes them - seem less sharp.

I can’t detail it any better than that... so I won’t.

I’d like to see more toss/pitch plays...the one we ran on Buffalo gave him his longest run of the day and helped jump start a drive. But we always to seem to just run him up the middle.

He is fine. However, Cann’s weak play and lineman not staying on blocks is a detriment.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

What do u mean what happened? This o line is below average.

(This post was last modified: 01-10-2018, 06:35 PM by The_Franchise_QB.)

It has to be injuries. He never was a vision guy who is going to break something outside. He may develop it, but you can't criticize him for that. This is what he was before the draft. Every game before he got hurt proved how immensely talented the guy is and why he was selected by the front office #4. His speed and power combo is deadly. Let's not forget he notched the two HIGHEST mph for a ball carrier for the entire season early in weeks 5 & 6. What I loved most about him was how hard he hit holes and powered through. He hasn't done that since he got hurt. The other thing he hasn't done is use that SPIN MOVE he began to use as his signature move. Every now and then we will see it, but in the beginning of the season we saw it so often and it was so effective. It is essentially his juke move.

What he has is a loose ankle. It requires either a large amount of rest or surgery to tighten up the ligaments. The week off week on thing was never going to fully heal him. He needs a lot of time to heal it. Each aggravation makes it worse, and it's unfortunate... but it is what it is. Had the Jags been out of playoff contention, my guess is he would of been IR'd a long time ago.

Why the staff continues to play him like they do in my opinion is because his straight line speed is still intact. At any moment we can see him reach 22 mph in route to a long TD run. What is missing is his lateral burst. It's completely shot, but hopefully he hits a home run against the Steelers.

When you can't pass the ball effectively and opponents stack the box and are prepared to shut down the run, this is what happens.

It's weird, because he kinda reminds me of a particular Giants back that played for their superbowl runs....Bradshaw?

The guy had this weird thing of stopping RIGHT in front of the hole, and hesitating. I dunno if he was reconsidering a new route, or trying to fake out defenders trying to get through or whatever, but it seems like he did it EVERY time he got the ball.

Worries me that Fournette kinda has similar issues. I didn't want him at pick 4. Would've rather traded down and gotten him that way. But I hope he goes on to prove all of us wrong on Sunday and batter the Steelers' D.

(This post was last modified: 01-10-2018, 08:37 PM by Eric1.)

(01-10-2018, 07:56 PM)Nikowho Wrote: It's weird, because he kinda reminds me of a particular Giants back that played for their superbowl runs....Bradshaw?

The guy had this weird thing of stopping RIGHT in front of the hole, and hesitating. I dunno if he was reconsidering a new route, or trying to fake out defenders trying to get through or whatever, but it seems like he did it EVERY time he got the ball.

Worries me that Fournette kinda has similar issues. I didn't want him at pick 4. Would've rather traded down and gotten him that way. But I hope he goes on to prove all of us wrong on Sunday and batter the Steelers' D.

Maybe you're thinking of Brandon Jacobs? Huge power RB for the Giants during that stretch. Bradshaw was the smaller shiftier/quicker of the two backs. They complimented each other well, but Jacobs had a bad habit of tip toeing behind the OL instead of just hitting it. Jacobs was 6'4 265 and no RB that size has any business trying to dance around.

Just like Fournette has been doing lately. Way too much tip toeing around behind the line instead of just hitting it.

Ankle...plus Hackett calling predictable 1st and 2nd down draws up the middle in the first half of games.

PLUS...Fournette's vision has been very underwhelming the last half of the season.

I hope we see more/improvement out of him.

(This post was last modified: 01-10-2018, 09:31 PM by leopold332002.)

Y'all like to blame Blake Bortles on everything even though he is having the best season of his career? I swear some of y'all Jag fans are some haters
[Image: giphy.gif]

(01-10-2018, 07:56 PM)Nikowho Wrote: It's weird, because he kinda reminds me of a particular Giants back that played for their superbowl runs....Bradshaw?

Coughlin does like the bruising power back type. I'm ever-so-slightly reminded of the '98 draft when Coughlin wanted Curtis Enis. The Bears took Enis first, though, so Coughlin had to settle for Fred Taylor. Enis played three seasons with the Bears and that was it. He disappeared after posting 2.3 ypc as a backup in his third season.  That said, I trust 4Net will work out much better than Enis. 
'02

I admit the offensive line is a problem and need of major improvement. Early in the year he would hit the pile and just move an extra yard or 2. If just seems that power has been lost. I really hope he digs down deep against pittsburgh.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]