Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2018 is our year!!

We blew away all expectations this year. We keep the entire core of the roster and still might maintain some of the good role contributors like Poz, Colvin, Lee, A-Rob etc. and on top of that we get to add another 6+ guys in the draft and make a few signings (and our final 4 run might draw a few guys here to put us over the top).

We get the Pats at home next year, after the controversy regarding officiating, there's no way they'll shaft us as hard as they did yesterday. Believe that the Pats at home is circled on the schedule; Jags will come out fired up and sticking it to the Pats might be the difference between a first round bye/home field advantage. 

The Steelers have to come play us at home as well, and the Eagles will travel to London for the first time ever where 1st time teams rarely adjust well. We have a harder overall schedule but given the circumstances of how/where we'll play some of the tougher teams it might give us the edge we need to pocket a few extra W's. 

Our arrow is pointing up, the culture Coughlin and Marrone has set is only going into its 2nd year. If you had told me that the Jags would come a few plays and bad calls/no-calls from going to the superbowl I'd have said you were crazy. Winning it all should be the expectation not a pipe dream.... this is the beginning of our time not the end!! We'll be back... believe that! DTWD!!!!
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I think Blake will begin to blossom into a top 10 qb and start carrying this team. We have the pieces to make a run for a while

(01-22-2018, 05:12 PM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: I think Blake will begin to blossom into a top 10 qb and start carrying this team. We have the pieces to make a run for a while

These last 3 games he's risen to the occasion! the 3 games before we clinched playoffs/AFC South he was on fire as well. Only when we parced back the playbook for the final 2 weeks with nothing left to gain did he stumble. I think that staying in the same offense for a 3rd year, another offseason to improve his mechanics and footwork, getting Allen Robinson back, and getting some help at Guard and depth on the Oline will do wonders for him. I think he's about to turn the corner! AND Fournette will be fully healthy and a full year in the conditioning program so he wont hit the rookie wall again. We have the pieces just need to take care of business and get hot down the stretch!
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

(01-22-2018, 05:06 PM)Firesky Wrote: We blew away all expectations this year. We keep the entire core of the roster and still might maintain some of the good role contributors like Poz, Colvin, Lee, A-Rob etc. and on top of that we get to add another 6+ guys in the draft and make a few signings (and our final 4 run might draw a few guys here to put us over the top).

We get the Pats at home next year, after the controversy regarding officiating, there's no way they'll shaft us as hard as they did yesterday. Believe that the Pats at home is circled on the schedule; Jags will come out fired up and sticking it to the Pats might be the difference between a first round bye/home field advantage. 

The Steelers have to come play us at home as well, and the Eagles will travel to London for the first time ever where 1st time teams rarely adjust well. We have a harder overall schedule but given the circumstances of how/where we'll play some of the tougher teams it might give us the edge we need to pocket a few extra W's. 

Our arrow is pointing up, the culture Coughlin and Marrone has set is only going into its 2nd year. If you had told me that the Jags would come a few plays and bad calls/no-calls from going to the superbowl I'd have said you were crazy. Winning it all should be the expectation not a pipe dream.... this is the beginning of our time not the end!! We'll be back... believe that! DTWD!!!!

I do see a lot of similarities this season with the Seahawks of 2012. A young team with talent but a little raw, having a good year at ended in Atlanta and came back the next year and won it all. Now i'm not saying SB, but this teams expectations are sky high. We've been beaten as fans for so long, we dream of 8-8!! 

This team took huge strides this year, from bottom 4 to top 4. That's insane and all credit to the staff and players. There was a different attitude this year and we all boought in and look how far it took us. Now next year will be TOUGH. Look at who we have to play, a lot of playoff teams from this season and next year we won't be surprising anyone, teams will be looking for us. The AFC South could be a lot tougher with a healthy and in form Watson and Luck. But i see this team stepping up. Our schedule wasn't the hardest and we had some luck with injuries this year but this is a hungry team that will take the pain of this season, players like Telvin and Ramsey will use this as fire.

Now hopefully we can be an attractive target in FA without having to overpay. I think Blake has earnt another year but i think Coughlin and co will already know what they are doing. We need a smart draft picking so late but i expect Coughlin to have some fun this summer.

(This post was last modified: 01-22-2018, 05:23 PM by JAGFAN88.)

Next year will be great ! first place schedule doesnt scare me

Pats we know what we can do to them in our house
Cowboys ended the year in meltdown might be without Bryant
Steelers well you know
Eagles in London (actual superbowl) their first trip
Washington dose not worry me
Dolphins same as washigton
Buffalo rematch of playoff at theirplace
Giants with new coach TC returns
Our division
As good as we played i just dont see any team we can not beat i dont think we go undefeated but it is not as terrafying as ppl are making it out to be.

a 2nd full off season with this coaching staff will help Bortles greatly; the growth of his (and others) had been greatly stunted during the Bradley years. They will learn from this season and get better.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

I'm not ready to think about next season. Love your optimism, but Jags should still be playing this year.

I liken this season to the 2012 Seahawks season. Losing record previous year, goes 11-5 makes some noise in the playoffs but comes up short. They go on to win the 1st seed of the playoffs the following year and eventually the super bowl. Sometimes you have to take a step back to move forward. Next year is our year. #UnfinishedBusiness
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Get these rookies through the off-season conditioning program, add a few pieces, learn from the mistakes this year and next season should be even better.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

it doesn't matter were Jags play,nfl will never ever call games fair for them. the nfl hates city of Jacksonville always have,and always will. Refs called a lot againest us this year in regluar season. they could play in ten buck 2 ,and refs would still call everything againest the jags. Rember the browns game no pentlys on browns,they went 0-16.. no offensse intended. The refs called that game every way they could trying to make us only team to lose to browns. Jags need to learn not to quit playing all the time when the refs are always againest them. NFL hates Jacksonville. They would love to see the team in london.

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

Man...I am worried it could be the opposite. Between weak schedule, weak division, and very good injury luck I fear we might have just seen the best. Virtually every other team is in position to get better by a factor larger than us now considering our lack of cap space and bottom draft picks.

The big difference with the Seahawks analogy is that they had a blossoming elite franchise QB during that stretch. Even Bortles' biggest fans can't believe Blake is on the Russell Wilson path. I think we're more likely to be looking like a Bengals/Texans 2013-2015 stretch where we quickly realize we had a super bowl caliber supporting cast and we stuck with the QB too long and now it's too late to make an impactful change.

Which isn't to say we're done, I think we have several more years of playoff contention...but I fear we might have just seen our best chance at a trophy slip through our fingers.

(01-22-2018, 06:51 PM)Upper Wrote: Man...I am worried it could be the opposite. Between weak schedule, weak division, and very good injury luck I fear we might have just seen the best. Virtually every other team is in position to get better by a factor larger than us now considering our lack of cap space and bottom draft picks.

The big difference with the Seahawks analogy is that they had a blossoming elite franchise QB during that stretch. Even Bortles' biggest fans can't believe Blake is on the Russell Wilson path. I think we're more likely to be looking like a Bengals/Texans 2013-2015 stretch where we quickly realize we had a super bowl caliber supporting cast and we stuck with the QB too long and now it's too late to make an impactful change.

Which isn't to say we're done, I think we have several more years of playoff contention...but I fear we might have just seen our best chance at a  trophy slip through our fingers.

I've had that thought in the back of my head since we lost and it's not pleasant. We have a "prove it" schedule against 7/8 playoff teams next season too.

On the plus side we have a great and proactive owner in Shad and guys like Marrone , Coughlin and Caldwell who should keep us competitive year to year. 

Big offseason ahead. How we manage the cap and Qb position this year and next is HUGE. I think the AFC south is still weak enough to make some noise next year.

(This post was last modified: 01-22-2018, 07:55 PM by JagFan81.)

(01-22-2018, 06:51 PM)Upper Wrote: Man...I am worried it could be the opposite. Between weak schedule, weak division, and very good injury luck I fear we might have just seen the best. Virtually every other team is in position to get better by a factor larger than us now considering our lack of cap space and bottom draft picks.

Which isn't to say we're done, I think we have several more years of playoff contention...but I fear we might have just seen our best chance at a  trophy slip through our fingers.

This is the worry. The AFC has been dominated by the Pats, Steelers and Broncos. You've had teams like the Chiefs, Chargers, Bengals have years challenging them but they never could stay. Now i have huge faith in Coughlin. I see this second stint at the Jags as his chance to complete his biggest triumph, winning the Jags, the new franchise he helped build, their first SB. I think he's going to do everything possible to bring in improvements and find ways of keeping key guys and give us as good a chance as possible. We are lucky that the front office seems so united in that goal. 

You have a good point with Wilson, he was written off like Blake but made some crazy plays. Blake improved a fair bit this year but isn't where Wilson was at that stage. I don't know what will happen with Blake but Coughlin will know f he's staying or not. 

The fear with the AFC is that for the next year or two, Brady will be the mountain to climb but after that it's anyone's. I don't know if that's necessarily a good thing.

But then this roster isn't the Jags of old roster and now they REALLY have a motivation.

(01-22-2018, 06:51 PM)IUpper Wrote: Man...I am worried it could be the opposite. Between weak schedule, weak division, and very good injury luck I fear we might have just seen the best. Virtually every other team is in position to get better by a factor larger than us now considering our lack of cap space and bottom draft picks.

I personally beleive Bortles is headed that direction. He will make even more strides this upcoming season

(01-22-2018, 08:27 PM)Etdavis2006 Wrote:
(01-22-2018, 06:51 PM)IUpper Wrote: Man...I am worried it could be the opposite. Between weak schedule, weak division, and very good injury luck I fear we might have just seen the best. Virtually every other team is in position to get better by a factor larger than us now considering our lack of cap space and bottom draft picks.

I personally beleive Bortles is headed that direction. He will make even more strides this upcoming season

I also personally believe competition with be brought in regardless. No way they don’t give themselves some kind of an insurance policy just in case he falters.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

The season was a massive success but consider the reality of the situation. The Jags rode a cupcake schedule to a 10-6 record while Houston and Indy had their franchise QBs miss most or all of the season. It's not going to be so easy next year. The schedule gets tough and the opposition knows the Jags aren't pushovers anymore. Don't assume Jacksonville is a perennial playoff team now because they made it once. If Bortles is back as the guy I fear a regression to 8-8 or so is very possible.

We will see. Certainly it won't be easy with that schedule. We are now the hunted.

Home: New England Patriots, Pittsburgh Steelers, New York Jets, Philadelphia Eagles, Washington Redskins, Indianapolis Colts, Houston Texans and Tennessee Titans.
Away: Buffalo Bills, Miami Dolphins, Dallas Cowboys, New York Giants, Kansas City Chiefs, Indianapolis Colts, Houston Texans and Tennessee Titans.

Jags play BOTH the teams in the superbowl. Play the team we beat in the AFC divisional. Houston will have Deshaun back. Tennessee had our number twice. Colts... is Luck back? If so that isn't easy. Jets beat us. Bills were in playoffs this year and we only beat them by a TD. Chiefs were a playoff team. Dallas had injuries.

Obviously, anything can happen... injuries, suspensions, etc.. But if on paper you said all those teams were fully healthy.. thats tough. Not to mention, now the book is out on our first year coaching staff. Won't be sneaking up on anyone.

Division got harder, our former 4 seed games became 1 seeds. This season will be a huge test.

This is the NFL. No year is anyone's year. Come on now. What is this thread?

At first glance, the schedule will be much harder BUT is anyone overly concerned about getting Pittsburgh at the Bank? or even the Pats at the Bank? Not saying they're guaranteed wins but right this moment I wouldn't be overly concerned about playing either team here next week. I think we'll be alright next year. Looking forward to seeing this D get a shot at a healthier Luck. My biggest concerns are: will Calais be as effective next year being a year older?; will we retain or effectively replace Colvin?; and what will we do at QB? We're not getting a top 5 guy like we've routinely been in position to get, but the draft will likely be just as interesting as always but at least it didn't become our primary focus starting in October.