Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags, Just Get A Great QB, And Let's Win It All Next Year!

(01-26-2018, 01:57 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: Its alarming to think all you ppl still believe its BB5 that is the problem. you bring in a great QB he is going to do the same thing. Hand to 4net up the middle twice then try and throw on 3rd and long then punt. Hacketts offense is not going to change to a offensive explosion of passes if you get a guy in here that you perceive is a good passer. Hackett/marone are gonna run run let defense play they will curtail any QB that comes in here. The sooner you realize this the sooner you will undertand that there is not an upgrade to BB5.

I honestly don't know Hackett's career outside Jacksonville. Is that what he did other places he coached?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

It's alarming to think of all the alarming things people think in this thread.

(01-26-2018, 02:12 PM)TheSchmidt Wrote:
(01-26-2018, 01:57 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: Its alarming to think all you ppl still believe its BB5 that is the problem. you bring in a great QB he is going to do the same thing. Hand to 4net up the middle twice then try and throw on 3rd and long then punt. Hacketts offense is not going to change to a offensive explosion of passes if you get a guy in here that you perceive is a good passer. Hackett/marone are gonna run run let defense play they will curtail any QB that comes in here. The sooner you realize this the sooner you will undertand that there is not an upgrade to BB5.

I honestly don't know Hackett's career outside Jacksonville. Is that what he did other places he coached?

The run run pass narrative is completely overblown.

(01-26-2018, 01:53 PM)jagshype Wrote:
(01-26-2018, 01:26 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Here is the thing. People who truly want to see this team get BETTER need to realize we need an upgrade at QB. You cannot expect another magical run against a much harder schedule keeping the offense as it is. You have to evolve.

What about those of us who think Bortles can still continue to get better?

We all have our opinions. Ultimately, none of them matter.

If Cousins really is that much better, his salary isn't worth his skillset. We could afford it sure, but at what cost? 2 years from now we'd be dismantling the defense for him. Better hope he can win it that fast.

I'm going to support Bortles. If the FO decides to bring in Cousins or Smith, I'll support them to the fullest as well.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Our top 3 WRs and TE were:

M. Lee
K. Cole
A. Hurns
M. Lewis

With and 85 passer rating consisting of 3700 yards 23 TDs and 13 Ints and 322 rushing yards is there a possibility that Bortles actually overachieved this season.

IN 1999 BRUNELL HAD A 82 PASSER RATING CONSISTING OF 3100 YARDS 14 TDS 9 INTS AND 208 RUSHING YARDS

Brunell was throwing to
Jimmy Smith
K. McCardell
R Barlow
Kyle Brady

(01-26-2018, 02:12 PM)TheSchmidt Wrote:

He was OC at syrycuse with Doug Marone, He was OC in Buff. with Doug Marone. See a patern here marone is a run guy and he has a OC that has been with him for years who believes in the same philosophy.

(01-26-2018, 03:45 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote:
(01-26-2018, 02:12 PM)TheSchmidt Wrote: I honestly don't know Hackett's career outside Jacksonville. Is that what he did other places he coached?

He was OC at syrycuse with Doug Marone, He was OC in Buff. with Doug Marone. See a patern here marone is a run guy and he has a OC that has been with him for years who believes in the same philosophy.

^ Interesting.
Not likely Marrone would want to move on from Hackett then. 

Looks like Hackett would be staying as long as he doesn't get a HC position elsewhere.

(01-26-2018, 02:17 PM)jagshype Wrote:
(01-26-2018, 02:12 PM)TheSchmidt Wrote: I honestly don't know Hackett's career outside Jacksonville. Is that what he did other places he coached?

The run run pass narrative is completely overblown.

I agree, and honestly it wouldn't be the same with a guy like Cousins who can routinely hit the normal passes.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

A great QB? A great QB?

Apparently we should offer Green Bay a 2nd round pick for Aaron Rodgers. How could they turn down a deal like that?

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

The coaches, Coughlin CLEARLY told us what they thought of Bortles.........55 seconds left in the half, 3 timeouts, knee.

(01-26-2018, 04:46 PM)Limelight Wrote: The coaches, Coughlin CLEARLY told us what they thought of Bortles.........55 seconds left in the half, 3 timeouts, knee.

If you think that they had no faith in BB5 is the reason they kneeled you need only look back a pittsburgh game. If they had no faith in him then, they would have run run and lost. The coaches went limp and thought the defense would win it for them they had thier foot on the gas and took it off. BB5 was out performing Brady to that point.

(This post was last modified: 01-26-2018, 05:22 PM by old_man.)

All I know is Cousins is horrible in response to the rush, His lack of mobility would have killed this team this year.

I watched multiple games with Cousins, he is not very special.

Alex Smith is in the same boat, he is 33 years old.

They will bring Bortles back on the option and let him play for his next contract. if the Jags can make it this far with him this year, they certainly believe they can do it again with other skill position players added.

Bortles has more upside than Cousins and Smith (33 years old). If he plays like it next year he will get a decent deal, if he doesn't they will cut him and address the QB position the following season.

On another note:
If Walsh puts the defense in Man Coverage and calls a blitz on 3rd and 18, we are not even talking about this until next season.

(01-26-2018, 04:46 PM)Limelight Wrote: The coaches, Coughlin CLEARLY told us what they thought of Bortles.........55 seconds left in the half, 3 timeouts, knee.

No.

They clearly thought the defense would have played better.
Creator of the Website in 2001/2002

With a QB upgrade we could really go somewhere. But is it worth the price? I don't think Cousins is worth the price. Eli definitely isn't (I think he stays in NY anyway). Alex Smith is aging as well. Cousins is probably an upgrade to Bortles, but we don't want to mortgage our future for Kirk Cousins. If he's willing to sign a reasonable contract to come to a contender, then great. But I don't think he is.

I think we need to draft the solution--if the answer is out there. Which is always a tricky thing. You never know which QB's are going to pan out. Let them sit behind Blake if we have to--hope Blake develops, but if not you have a backup plan.

Hopefully next year we'll be playing more like we did in some of our better games this year and be more aggressive and always go for the kill.

(01-26-2018, 02:49 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: If Cousins really is that much better, his salary isn't worth his skillset. We could afford it sure, but at what cost? 2 years from now we'd be dismantling the defense for him. Better hope he can win it that fast.

Cousins said he wanted Stafford money aka 27 million. Blake is going to get 19 million. ~8 million isn't going to dismantle anything. Unless your argument is we need to cut Bortles because he will also mean we have to dismantle the defense, and then we sign another 5 million dollar QB like McCown or ride and die with a rookie QB. That's the only way the argument isn't contradictory.

(01-26-2018, 09:43 PM)Upper Wrote:
(01-26-2018, 02:49 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: If Cousins really is that much better, his salary isn't worth his skillset. We could afford it sure, but at what cost? 2 years from now we'd be dismantling the defense for him. Better hope he can win it that fast.

Cousins said he wanted Stafford money aka 27 million. Blake is going to get 19 million. ~8 million isn't going to dismantle anything. Unless your argument is we need to cut Bortles because he will also mean we have to dismantle the defense, and then we sign another 5 million dollar QB like McCown or ride and die with a rookie QB. That's the only way the argument isn't contradictory.

That assumes you pay Blake the 1 year option. But I think you could get Blake for less money on a multi-year deal (e.g. Blake $15M for 3 years vs. Cousins at $27M/year for 5 years). In that scenario you could get 2 other quality FAs (WR and OL) for the same money.

(This post was last modified: 01-26-2018, 11:46 PM by jvillejagsn1.)

The Lamar Jackson pick at 29 is warming up on me....

Sit behind Blake or Alex for a year?
Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

(01-26-2018, 01:53 PM)jagshype Wrote:
(01-26-2018, 01:26 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Here is the thing. People who truly want to see this team get BETTER need to realize we need an upgrade at QB. You cannot expect another magical run against a much harder schedule keeping the offense as it is. You have to evolve.

What about those of us who think Bortles can still continue to get better?

Are you willing to put all of your eggs into that single basket?
What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

(01-27-2018, 12:08 AM)Dakota Wrote:
(01-26-2018, 01:53 PM)jagshype Wrote: What about those of us who think Bortles can still continue to get better?

Are you willing to put all of your eggs into that single basket?

No, which is why you still draft a QB in the first couple of rounds to sit behind Blake.

Personally I think that cutting Blake and signing a high price QB is the much riskier "eggs\basket" scenario...

(01-26-2018, 11:39 PM)Rooster Wrote:
(01-26-2018, 09:43 PM)Upper Wrote: Cousins said he wanted Stafford money aka 27 million. Blake is going to get 19 million. ~8 million isn't going to dismantle anything. Unless your argument is we need to cut Bortles because he will also mean we have to dismantle the defense, and then we sign another 5 million dollar QB like McCown or ride and die with a rookie QB. That's the only way the argument isn't contradictory.

That assumes you pay Blake the 1 year option. But I think you could get Blake for less money on a multi-year deal (e.g. Blake $15M for 3 years vs. Cousins at $27M/year for 5 years). In that scenario you could get 2 other quality FAs (WR and OL) for the same money.

Why would Blake sign that deal?  He either gets $19 million guaranteed this year combined with either a mega multi year deal next year, the tag or a bite at free agency or he gets a bite at free agency this year.

Put yourself in his shoes.  Are you going to take your employer’s word for what your value is and accept their lowball offer or are you going to let the QB needy of the 31 other teams bid and set your value?