Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Kirk Cousins - We should sign him to $27 million per year contract

(02-02-2018, 12:31 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-01-2018, 10:17 PM)TheSchmidt Wrote: You cut a combo of Chruch, Gipson, Campbell, Jackson, and Dareus (Parnell comes off the books in 2020).

That wouldn't need to happen for two more years anyways. Some of them may have declined where cutting them is the logical thing by then, or some are willing to restructure their deals.

The salary cap has been going up for the last four years, and they project it will rise 7-10 mil for 2018, who knows where it is by 2020.

Most of who would need to be cut are role players anyways. As long as they can keep the young core (they will), good drafting and smart FA signings can replace them.

This is exactly what I Don't want to happen. Those are core players. We'd be sacrificing the defense to upgrade one offensive spot.

I'm pretty sure he meant when guys like Ramsey need new deals. Not right now. 

And to whoever said that dareus isn't worth his contract, I think you're crazy. He transformed our run defense and his individual play only got better throughout the season. He's pretty young and has a lot left in the tank.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

So what are the overall thoughts on this?

Is there something about Cousins that only the Redskins are aware of, or was it something within the organization? I only say this because this Alex Smith trade baffles me.

I can't say I have watched a ton of Redskins games but in most of the games Cousins stood out. He's tough, he can run, he's got the arm and he isn't afraid to sling it. He's almost like a better Bortles.

Realistically our defense will not be as good this, as it was last year. Just look at trends, top five for sure but not historic like this year.

That is slightly irrelevant however it would affect the cap ultimately.

Im my opinion, if Bortles is going to cost us 19 mil per, Cousins 27, I say we sign Cousins. I understand Bortles for one year vs Cousins locked up for several is different, I just think it's the best option. Our window will close sooner than later.

(This post was last modified: 02-03-2018, 01:27 AM by Teal Time Radio.)

No because is not an upgrade. But.... Had all those yards.... Still not an upgrade.... I love his catch phrase do you like that?

Yet has done nothing. One playoff game and blown out. 5 wins against teams who are 500 or better. (Whole career) When Cousins had both Garcon and Jackson.

Also many rumblings about him and receivers not on same page. Or not caring for him. And during big games poor showings.

So where is this huge upgrade? Well... Best at play action? Based on what? If had no real running game.. Basically entire career. How can ya judge his play action skills?
Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

Jackson and Garcon are 2 of the softest wr's in the game thats a fact.
No Fun

Soft or not both were explosive playmakers.

#Gojags

(This post was last modified: 02-03-2018, 10:12 AM by Cleatwood.)

Why are we continuing to bash Cousins for 1 playoff game?

The Jags defense could have won 8 GAMES WITH ANY QB THIS YEAR.
Cousins would have beaten the Bills in the playoffs because the defense allowed 3 points. Cousins has never played with a defense and run game like this. He was the entire offense in Washington. He made that offense move. Blake is not the centerpiece of the offense. He’s a complimentary piece who is asked to hand it off and throw on play action.

I love Blake but signing him means you still think he can improve. To me, that’s more of a gamble than signing Cousins.

Absolutely not would of threw it right in traffic again.

#Gojags

$27 mil sounds like a lot for a guy the Redskins GM was saying isn't realliy special as a QB. I certainliy wouldn't top that, and for that matter, would much rather spend the money on Drew Brees if it were possible to get him.
'02

Great thread, lot of good points. I need help on a couple of things:

1. The timing of things- I understand that if BB5 does not pass his physical, then we owe him 19M. When does this physical take place? When does Cousins become a FA? March 8? In other words, can you sum up the timeline on all this for me...

2. If BB5 passes the physical and we cut him, I would imagine he gets much less than the 19M. How much?

3. Who will be in the FA QB class NEXT year? Maybe we go with BB5 this year with an eye on an upcoming FA.

And...just a comment: Marcel Dareus was as instrumental in the success of this season as anyone, he made a remarkable difference from Day 1. Or Day 2, maybe.
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

(02-03-2018, 12:11 PM)PF* Wrote: Great thread, lot of good points. I need help on a couple of things:

1. The timing of things- I understand that if BB5 does not pass his physical, then we owe him 19M. When does this  physical take place? When does Cousins become a FA? March 8? In other words, can you sum up the timeline on all this for me...

2. If BB5 passes the physical and we cut him, I would imagine he gets much less than the 19M. How much?

3. Who will be in the FA QB class NEXT year? Maybe we go with BB5 this year with an eye on an  upcoming FA.

And...just a comment: Marcel Dareus was as instrumental in the success of this season as anyone, he made a remarkable difference from Day 1. Or Day 2, maybe.

1. Free agency begin March 14th this year, however, teams can start talking to players on March 12th.

To avoid paying Blake, he must pass a physical prior to free agency starting
(I'd guess March 13th?). They'd have to cut him or pay him the $19 mil on March 14th when the league year starts.

2. It's all or nothing. His rookie bonus money is all accounted for, so if waived he wouldn't even cost a dime as dead money.

3. 2019 FA QBs include Matt Ryan, Nick Foles, Tyrod Taylor and Matt Schaub.  ...and I'm guessing the Falcons extend or franchise Ryan. 

'02

(02-03-2018, 12:42 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(02-03-2018, 12:11 PM)PF* Wrote: Great thread, lot of good points. I need help on a couple of things:

1. The timing of things- I understand that if BB5 does not pass his physical, then we owe him 19M. When does this  physical take place? When does Cousins become a FA? March 8? In other words, can you sum up the timeline on all this for me...

3. Who will be in the FA QB class NEXT year? Maybe we go with BB5 this year with an eye on an  upcoming FA.

1. Free agency begin March 14th this year, however, teams can start talking to players on March 12th.

To avoid paying Blake, he must pass a physical prior to free agency starting
(I'd guess March 13th?). They'd have to cut him or pay him the $19 mil on March 14th when the league year starts.

2. It's all or nothing. His rookie bonus money is all accounted for, so if waived he wouldn't even cost a dime as dead money.

3. 2019 FA QBs include Matt Ryan, Nick Foles, Tyrod Taylor and Matt Schaub.  ...and I'm guessing the Falcons extend or franchise Ryan. 

and the 2019 QB draft class looks less than impressive as well.

If only we could lure Drew Brees on over.

Give Drew a 3-year, $100 mil contract, and I doubt the Saints come even close enough to keep Drew.
'02

Can't the saints just franchise him but yeah my fantasy signing would be Brees or maybe a trade with the packers for Rodgers lmao I wish.
No Fun

(02-03-2018, 04:48 PM)nhiverson Wrote: Can't the saints just franchise him but yeah my fantasy signing would be Brees or maybe a trade with the packers for Rodgers lmao I wish.

No. Something in the contract stated that he can't be franchised, but he said this week he will be back with the Saints and he wants to retire a Saint. from what I've read, the Saints have no intentions of letting him leave and he doesn't want to.

Hearing reports that the Redskins are thinking of franchise tagging Kirk Cousins to try to gain some of what they lost by forcing teams to give up a pick for Cousins. Yeah, they're dumb if they think it's going to work. No team is gonna wanna give him a huge salary, and give up picks for him. Might have made sense if they hadn't traded for Alex Smith yet. Even the local sports people are like "WHAT?!"

(02-05-2018, 11:23 AM)The Eleventh Doctor Wrote: Hearing reports that the Redskins are thinking of franchise tagging Kirk Cousins to try to gain some of what they lost by forcing teams to give up a pick for Cousins.  Yeah, they're dumb if they think it's going to work.  No team is gonna wanna give him a huge salary, and give up picks for him.  Might have made sense if they hadn't traded for Alex Smith yet.  Even the local sports people are like "WHAT?!"
This just continues to prove how stupid the Redskins front office is.

The kicker here is that when a team places a tag on a player, it is with the intent to sign them. I'm pretty sure that's in the contract. So if the team places the tag on Cousins but attempts to trade him, Cousins can file a grievance and for the Skins to sign him. Then he sits back and collects 36 million dollars as a back up. That's amazing.

(02-05-2018, 11:30 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-05-2018, 11:23 AM)The Eleventh Doctor Wrote: Hearing reports that the Redskins are thinking of franchise tagging Kirk Cousins to try to gain some of what they lost by forcing teams to give up a pick for Cousins.  Yeah, they're dumb if they think it's going to work.  No team is gonna wanna give him a huge salary, and give up picks for him.  Might have made sense if they hadn't traded for Alex Smith yet.  Even the local sports people are like "WHAT?!"

The kicker here is that when a team places a tag on a player, it is with the intent to sign them. I'm pretty sure that's in the contract. So if the team places the tag on Cousins but attempts to trade him, Cousins can file a grievance and for the Skins to sign him. Then he sits back and collects 36 million dollars as a back up. That's amazing.

As much as Cousins wants to compete and play, I think they've irked him enough he might do something like that.  Why not?  Make a cool 36 mil, save a year of wear and tear and hit FA NEXT year.

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

(This post was last modified: 02-07-2018, 12:00 AM by imtheblkranger.)

ARob just liked a tweet by Cousins. That means we're signing him right?

Pretty sure that's how it works
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(02-05-2018, 11:30 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:

The trade can't be made official until the start of the league year, before which time Cousins would have to have been tagged. If they're going to pull this stunt, they'll have to forego making the trade and pray that some team out there will give up two first round picks and $36M for Cousins.

Tony Pauline says we're in on Cousins more than many have expected us to be.

"One surprise franchise who also intends to be part of the Cousins sweepstakes is the Jacksonville Jaguars. I initially heard about the Jags’ interest in Cousins during practices at the Shrine Game, and the rumblings have been persistent and have grown louder since."

http://draftanalyst.com/tuesday-draft-no...wl-edition