Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Kirk Cousins - We should sign him to $27 million per year contract

Kirk Cousins reportedly is look for a similar contract to Matt Stafford.  5 years/135 million in total. 27 million per year.  

Considering Blake will cost 20 million next year it seems like a no brainer to go for Kirk instead and maximize this roster and team. We should be his #1 option if we choose to go that route.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Are you nuts? $27 million a year! That would put this team into cap hell very soon and all for a middle of the road QB. No way!

Uh, no.

No thanks to him.

My question is which teams are competing for Cousins? I haven't paid much attention to FA/cap room for teams. I would imagine the Browns would make a push. Who else though? The more teams start competing for Cousins.. the more likely 30+ million happens. If i'm the Browns I'd literally just give him 35+ and get it over with.

(This post was last modified: 01-25-2018, 01:41 PM by JackCity.)

(01-25-2018, 01:31 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Are you nuts? $27 million a year! That would put this team into cap hell very soon and all for a middle of the road QB. No way!
 1) You may want to read up on how the cap works if you think an extra 7 million would put us in cap hell. Cutting Ivory and Nortman gives us 6 million alone. 

2) He's been well above average for the last couple years, despite no run game and defense.

(01-25-2018, 01:31 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Uh, no.

No thanks to him.

Who do you want to be our QB in 2018?

Anyone else.

I don't think he's good.

(01-25-2018, 02:01 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Anyone else.

I don't think he's good.

What do you think he's bad at vs the average QB.

(01-25-2018, 01:31 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Are you nuts? $27 million a year! That would put this team into cap hell very soon and all for a middle of the road QB. No way!
You must not be very familiar with how the cap works.

Cousins would be an upgrade from Bortles. It's almost impossible to argue otherwise. There is not one thing Blake does better than Cousins. Cousins is a very good scrambler, accurate and he battles. Imagine Fournette not going up against 8 or 9 man boxes 50% of the time? He would be so much better. Bortles has played well at times this season. There is no arguing that. But they had to work around Blake. He is limited, he is inaccurate and his ball placement leaves a lot to be desired.

Cousins, Fournette, ARob, Cole, Westbrook and Andrews at TE? That's what I'm talking about. Cousins would immediately make teams think twice about putting 8 in the box.

(01-25-2018, 01:12 PM)JackCity Wrote: Kirk Cousins reportedly is look for a similar contract to Matt Stafford.  5 years/135 million in total. 27 million per year.  

Considering Blake will cost 20 million next year it seems like a no brainer to go for Kirk instead and maximize this roster and team. We should be his #1 option if we choose to go that route.

Thats all he wants! Wheres Khan's checkbook? At 27 million I definitely want him. Its alot, but that isn't the backbreaking amount I thought it was gonna take. Since Bortles is gonna get 20 million anyway, I feel like 7 million for Kirk Cousins is an easy call.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

(This post was last modified: 01-25-2018, 03:37 PM by Kane.)

(01-25-2018, 03:29 PM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote:
(01-25-2018, 01:12 PM)JackCity Wrote: Kirk Cousins reportedly is look for a similar contract to Matt Stafford.  5 years/135 million in total. 27 million per year.  

Thats all he wants! Wheres Khan's checkbook? At 27 million I definitely want him. Its alot, but that isn't the backbreaking amount I thought it was gonna take. Since Bortles is gonna get 20 million anyway, I feel like 7 million for Kirk Cousins is an easy call.

That's just the impact on one year though.
It would likely be like 80 million guaranteed. So he and his cap hit are locked in for 3 years.
That would severely limit the free agency ability of this team.

I'm not saying I'm against the idea... especially if it's closer to 26-27 mil per year than the 30+ I was thinking... Didn't Washington offer him something like 25 mil per year and he turned it down last year?

And it's always an easy call when it's someone else's money lol

EDIT: here it is
"On May 2nd, right after the draft, we made Kirk an offer that included the highest fully guaranteed amount upon signing for a quarterback in NFL history ($53 million) and guaranteed a total of $72 million for injury. The deal would have made him at least the second highest-paid player by average per year in NFL history."

Speculation can be made that Kirk has wanted out of Washington.
But he has said he'd like to stay there for his career.
So perhaps he thinks he is worth more than 53 million guaranteed (72 mil with injury?)

Is he really worth that, even if he is an upgrade over Borts?

(01-25-2018, 03:35 PM)Kane Wrote:
(01-25-2018, 03:29 PM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote: Thats all he wants! Wheres Khan's checkbook? At 27 million I definitely want him. Its alot, but that isn't the backbreaking amount I thought it was gonna take. Since Bortles is gonna get 20 million anyway, I feel like 7 million for Kirk Cousins is an easy call.

That's just the impact on one year though.
It would likely be like 80 million guaranteed. So he and his cap hit are locked in for 3 years.
That would severely limit the free agency ability of this team.

I'm not saying I'm against the idea... especially if it's closer to 26-27 mil per year than the 30+ I was thinking... Didn't Washington offer him something like 25 mil per year and he turned it down last year?

And it's always an easy call when it's someone else's money lol

EDIT: here it is
"On May 2nd, right after the draft, we made Kirk an offer that included the highest fully guaranteed amount upon signing for a quarterback in NFL history ($53 million) and guaranteed a total of $72 million for injury. The deal would have made him at least the second highest-paid player by average per year in NFL history."

Speculation can be made that Kirk has wanted out of Washington.
But he has said he'd like to stay there for his career.
So perhaps he thinks he is worth more than 53 million guaranteed (72 mil with injury?)

Is he really worth that, even if he is an upgrade over Borts?

The best teams are usually have the least amount of cap space, the worst teams usually have the most. Our cap is healthy even if we sign Cousins and Arob.

Kirk would maximize this roster for the next 3/4 years and give us a chance to be close to the superbowl every year...even if we have to let some of ours players like Fowler or Church/Gibson go.  
You don't want to be the team that never got there because you never addressed the QB position. 

Bortles did his job this year and came close to getting us to the Superbowl but can clearly be upgraded, and given our draft spot Kirk will be the best option possible.

After next season, Bortles either becomes our guy or doesn’t. If he does, he’ll be the one asking for $27m, so really we’re talking about a significant difference in salary for only the 2018 season. 

If he doesn’t become our guy, we probably tinhorn our window.

(This post was last modified: 01-25-2018, 05:35 PM by nhiverson.)

Didn't Adam Schefter report Jags will go after Cousins or Smith?
No Fun

(01-25-2018, 05:34 PM)nhiverson Wrote: Didn't Adam Schefter report Jags will go after Cousins or Smith?

“The thinking is”...”probably”...

I don't think Adam Schefter has any inside information on this, he is just speculating. But I agree that unless you extend Bortles this year, he will be either cut or much more expensive after next. As Kane said above, if Cousins is only looking for 26/27 million that is alot more palatable. I think what made the Redskins deal not work is the fact that they only wanted to give 53 million gaurenteed. Stafford just got 90 million guarenteed. If the gaurenteed money is the issue then I think we should do that, Cousins isn't regressing. A guy who plays on basically 3 one year deals and delivers is gonna be fine for at least 3-4 years barring injury.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

Buuuwwwaaaa!!! Laughing
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(01-25-2018, 04:10 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: After next season, Bortles either becomes our guy or doesn’t. If he does, he’ll be the one asking for $27m, so really we’re talking about a significant difference in salary for only the 2018 season. 

This is an important point people aren't thinking about with the 5th year option.

I would be thrilled to give Cousins 27 mil a year right now.

(01-25-2018, 04:10 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: After next season, Bortles either becomes our guy or doesn’t. If he does, he’ll be the one asking for $27m, so really we’re talking about a significant difference in salary for only the 2018 season. 

This is spot on.  IF Bortles continues to get better you are looking at that price range anyways.  That is a big "if."
“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus

Has anyone mentioned that Cousins hasn't played in a championship game, therefore Bortles is better?

(01-25-2018, 09:00 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Has anyone mentioned that Cousins hasn't played in a championship game, therefore Bortles is better?

I'm sure they're on their way..