Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
A Top GOP Donor Shuts Donations - Calls for Ban on Assault Weapons

(02-21-2018, 10:15 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(02-20-2018, 05:34 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: There should be an uproar on all of the above, as well as inner city violence.  Any time innocent people get killed, there should be an uproar.

An uproar directed against whom?  If you're going to ban guns because of gun violence and shootings, shouldn't you also ban alcohol because of deaths caused by it's abuse?

We're already living in the world of Outrage Overload, I just can't care that much. I'd like to, but I have my own life to worry about, I can't expend all of my emotional energy on "things bad people do."
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-21-2018, 02:18 PM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote:
(02-21-2018, 02:01 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Yes, yes, we know. People who are emotionally invested in an event are incapable of standing by their principles. With you guys it's all emotion all the time.

So I take it you would just want a “prayers and support” consolation from the NRA if a tragedy like this was to effect you directly?

I, for one, wouldn't feel the NRA "owed" me anything.  

When will you realize a gun is just a tool and it happens to be the tool the killer chose.  Yes, it's an easier tool to use than most, but certainly not the only one available.  Take away the guns and someone determined to harm innocent people will simply use another method.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(02-21-2018, 10:28 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(02-21-2018, 02:18 PM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote: So I take it you would just want a “prayers and support” consolation from the NRA if a tragedy like this was to effect you directly?

I, for one, wouldn't feel the NRA "owed" me anything.  

When will you realize a gun is just a tool and it happens to be the tool the killer chose.  Yes, it's an easier tool to use than most, but certainly not the only one available.  Take away the guns and someone determined to harm innocent people will simply use another method.

Yes, and they'll kill far fewer people with a knife, car, baseball bat, golf club, broadsword or electric tennis racket before being stopped than they would if they were using a gun.

(02-21-2018, 10:51 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(02-21-2018, 10:28 PM)Sneakers Wrote: I, for one, wouldn't feel the NRA "owed" me anything.  

Yes, and they'll kill far fewer people with a knife, car, baseball bat, golf club, broadsword or electric tennis racket before being stopped than they would if they were using a gun.

Hopefully they don't think to visit Home Depot to buy some of those easily available tools of death, especially the fertilizer section. We need to require background checks at the cash register in every store in the nation. We could call it the Register Every Tool And Regulate Dung Service.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(02-21-2018, 10:51 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(02-21-2018, 10:28 PM)Sneakers Wrote: I, for one, wouldn't feel the NRA "owed" me anything.  

July 14, 2016.  Bastille Day in France.  The assailant drove a truck into the crowd leaving 86 dead. 

I'll assume the electric tennis racket comment is intended for sarcasm, but to argue that a car can't be just as deadly (or more so) as a gun, is just stupid and I think you're more intelligent than that.  A car can also give the assailant the advantage of already being in the escape vehicle and in motion at the instant the crime is committed.

A car also has a purpose that isnt killing.

(02-22-2018, 12:13 AM)lastonealive Wrote: A car also has a purpose that isnt killing.

You mean like a commercial airliner?  Thanks, I feel so much safer now, knowing that.

(02-22-2018, 12:13 AM)lastonealive Wrote: A car also has a purpose that isnt killing.

So does my pistol. Used 3 times, never killed once.

(02-21-2018, 01:54 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Soooooo, Uncle Sam gets to read your medical chart now? So much for the right to privacy. I guess that means Roe v Wade has to go away too.

It's called the Affordable Care Act and yes, Uncle Sam gets to read your medical chart.

(This post was last modified: 02-22-2018, 10:04 AM by TrivialPursuit.)

I don't think you understand how deeply ingrained gun ownership is in the United States.

Each one of us over here, as Americans, feel a deep connection to our founding fathers. Whether our family lines were even in this country in that time period is irrelevant.

They set the groundwork for what became the most powerful country of the modern era -  and they took their country away from the most powerful military force on the planet at the time. True, the British were involved in other wars and didn't have the resources to properly fight the revolution, but regardless, the Americans took it away.. because they were armed. If they didn't have guns and cannons they never would have accomplished a thing. They knew that it was important, as a nation of FREE men, to allow the common man access to guns, not just guns for hunting or self-defense, guns for making war upon the government if necessary.

Now we have laws to keep crazy people from getting them - and sometimes that system fails us. Instead of taking away the guns or the rights of LAW-ABIDING Americans, let's try much harder to enforce the laws we have. Because until that happens, new gun control measures won't do a thing anyway.

(02-22-2018, 09:18 AM)Byron LeftTown Wrote:
(02-21-2018, 01:54 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Soooooo, Uncle Sam gets to read your medical chart now? So much for the right to privacy. I guess that means Roe v Wade has to go away too.

It's called the Affordable Care Act and yes, Uncle Sam gets to read your medical chart.

Have you actually read the text of the ACA?

(02-22-2018, 09:22 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:

I don't think you understand how deeply ingrained gun ownership is in the United States.

Each one of us over here, as Americans, feel a deep connection to our founding fathers. Whether our family lines were even in this country in that time period is irrelevant.

They set the groundwork for what became the most powerful country of the modern era -  and they took their country away from the most powerful military force on the planet at the time. True, the British were involved in other wars and didn't have the resources to properly fight the revolution, but regardless, the Americans took it away.. because they were armed. If they didn't have guns and cannons they never would have accomplished a thing. They knew that it was important, as a nation of FREE men, to allow the common man access to guns, not just guns for hunting or self-defense, guns for making war upon the government if necessary.

Now we have laws to keep crazy people from getting them - and sometimes that system fails us. Instead of taking away the guns or the rights of LAW-ABIDING Americans, let's try much harder to enforce the laws we have. Because until that happens, new gun control measures won't do a thing anyway.

I do understand but it doesnt make it logical. Millions of people believe in ilogical stuff.

Lots of countries have become independent of Britain without guns. Scotland had the chance in the ballot box recently.

Not to mention owning a rifle is useless in modern warfare. So kind of irrelevant now.

(02-22-2018, 06:45 PM)lastonealive Wrote:
(02-22-2018, 09:22 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: I don't think you understand how deeply ingrained gun ownership is in the United States.

I do understand but it doesnt make it logical. Millions of people believe in ilogical stuff.

Lots of countries have become independent of Britain without guns. Scotland had the chance in the ballot box recently.

Not to mention owning a rifle is useless in modern warfare. So kind of irrelevant now.

Have u been paying attention ?

(02-22-2018, 06:47 PM)jj82284 Wrote:
(02-22-2018, 06:45 PM)lastonealive Wrote: I do understand but it doesnt make it logical. Millions of people believe in ilogical stuff.

Have u been paying attention ?

You've read his posts, you know the answer to that question.

(02-22-2018, 09:22 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: I don't think you understand how deeply ingrained gun ownership is in the United States.

Spoken like someone who has a true understanding of absolutely ZERO in regards to warfare whether historical or modern.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

Go on blindly trusting mama government to do what's right.

I'll hope for the best but plan for the worst, thank you very much. I guess that's the fundamental difference between me and you. I'll die for my principles without a second's hesitation. Because life isn't worth living if you don't have something you're willing to fight and die for - and the Bill of Rights is one of those things for Americans.

You mean you will let other people die for your "principles".

Maybe you should change who you vote for if you dont like the government? Seems better than being constantly paranoid. Cant be healthy.

(02-23-2018, 05:06 PM)lastonealive Wrote: Maybe you should change who you vote for if you dont like the government? 

LOL.  We do change who we vote for when we don't like the government.  Our guns won us the right to do so.

(02-23-2018, 10:01 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(02-23-2018, 05:06 PM)lastonealive Wrote: Maybe you should change who you vote for if you dont like the government? 

LOL.  We do change who we vote for when we don't like the government.  Our guns won us the right to do so.

Our guns won him the right to do so as well.

(02-24-2018, 12:04 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(02-23-2018, 10:01 PM)Sneakers Wrote: LOL.  We do change who we vote for when we don't like the government.  Our guns won us the right to do so.

Our guns won him the right to do so as well.

You mean the milatary guns? Well im not saying take them.

Can thank the ussr guns, british guns etc by that logic