Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NRA gets OWNED

(02-26-2018, 08:52 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(02-26-2018, 05:00 PM)rollerjag Wrote: That was a lot of alliteration for one post, are you channeling Limbaugh?

Are you telling me you think the reasons Republicans do not address gun control legislation have nothing to do with NRA contributions to their campaign coffers?

The NRA contributes about $1M a year in campaign contributions. Just as an exercise, divvy that up to roughly 50 Republican senators and 200 Republican congressmen (a few Dems get some too). That's $4,000 per person on average. Whoop-de-do. You think a candidate is going to change his position for a measly 1% or less of his total? It's much more likely that the NRA donated based on an already established position.

Just looked up a senator picked at random, Dean Heller of Nevada (based on it being a contested race). The NRA gave his campaign $2500. That's typical of his 766 donors, nothing special.

Dean Heller Campaign Finances

Look at NRA contributions to politicians over the course of their political careers. 8 have received as much as $1,000,000. You don't need them all in your pocket. Also look at how the NRA influences other donors.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-27-2018, 07:18 PM)rollerjag Wrote:
(02-26-2018, 06:54 PM)copycat Wrote: So it is not the illegal act nor the total lack of respect for human life that offends you, merely the body count?

That's what you got from my post?

"They may find some other weapon, but not one with multiple target lethal capability from a distance."

Sorry I should have specified what I was responding to.  

My point of view in all of these incidents is that evil is in the hearts of man, not in the tool they use to carry out the evil.  Look no further than Oklahoma City and 9-11.  Nary a shot was fired.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(02-27-2018, 07:29 PM)rollerjag Wrote:
(02-26-2018, 10:27 PM)Sneakers Wrote: Your point is not at all difficult to understand, it's your theory that's flawed.  Yes, if guns are banned in Chicago, one will not have to travel far to a jurisdiction where laws are more permissive, but, that's not the reason gun laws don't work.......let's apply your theory to the drug problem.  Are you suggesting that drug laws in Chicago don't work because drug laws in Indiana are so permissive?  

Thanks for conceding the bad guys can find another weapon (and thus admitting that a ban on guns won't automatically stop the violence).  Multiple target, lethal capability couldn't be any more simple than with a car however.  Your also wrong about the distance argument, as Timothy McVeigh has proven.  Are you forgetting history or simply choosing to ignore it?

I never said gun bans won't automatically stop violence, so I'm not sure what I'm admitting. I didn't even say guns should be banned. Gun laws won't work if a short drive will get a buyer to a less restrictive area. That's common sense. What that has to do with drug use I have no idea. Very few apples resemble an orange.

Presenting ridiculous examples doesn't prove a theory to be flawed, your examples are flawed. You can't put a car or a U-Haul full of chemical explosives. I imagine if those type of attacks became as common as gun related deaths, there would be more stringent laws in place. Until then, can we stick to something relevant?

Your point is still flawed.  Even in Indiana there are gun laws and waiting periods.  Gangbangers in Chicago are not driving across state lines and legally purchasing weapons.  Yet they are getting them.  How many current laws are being broken for this to happen?  You know this, the left knows this yet you/them keep harping "I didn't even say guns should be banned."  Until we address all the checks and balances that are not being followed, and you keep asking for more restrictive laws then, yes you are asking that all guns be banned.  You just haven't gotten around to admitting it yet.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(02-27-2018, 07:34 PM)rollerjag Wrote:
(02-26-2018, 08:52 PM)MalabarJag Wrote: The NRA contributes about $1M a year in campaign contributions. Just as an exercise, divvy that up to roughly 50 Republican senators and 200 Republican congressmen (a few Dems get some too). That's $4,000 per person on average. Whoop-de-do. You think a candidate is going to change his position for a measly 1% or less of his total? It's much more likely that the NRA donated based on an already established position.

Just looked up a senator picked at random, Dean Heller of Nevada (based on it being a contested race). The NRA gave his campaign $2500. That's typical of his 766 donors, nothing special.

Dean Heller Campaign Finances

Look at NRA contributions to politicians over the course of their political careers. 8 have received as much as $1,000,000. You don't need them all in your pocket. Also look at how the NRA influences other donors.

Link(s)?

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Really odd how the concentration lately has been on the NRA and there political influence when they don’t even register in the top 200 for contributions. Yet, nearly all of the top 25 are hardcore Democratic donors with the #1 being the Fahr Group at over $90M. More twisting by the media.

http://freebeacon.com/issues/media-gun-c...icans/amp/

https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/list.php?cycle=ALL
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

Boy the NRA has a tight grip on the GOP and they get to only dontate 4 stacks to a candidate just to shoot down gun reform.

That is a damn good job!
Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

(02-27-2018, 10:51 PM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote: Boy the NRA has a tight grip on the GOP and they get to only dontate 4 stacks to a candidate just to shoot down gun reform.

That is a damn good job!

Do you really believe that they’d vote for gun control if not for the couple thousand they were given?

The NRA barely registers on the donations list. Their influence is because of the 4m+ members.

(02-27-2018, 10:08 PM)B2hibry Wrote: Really odd how the concentration lately has been on the NRA and there political influence when they don’t even register in the top 200 for contributions. Yet, nearly all of the top 25 are hardcore Democratic donors with the #1 being the Fahr Group at over $90M. More twisting by the media.

The shrill left gives the NRA more cachet than anyone. They are the NRA's best friend. They've spent the last 30 years building this huge strawman of gun control opposition, when in fact, the NRA barely registers on the radars of most gun owners. The left simply can't accept that so many people disagree with them on basic principle of their own free will and thought. It MUST be the NRA imposing overwhelming social and political influence to make people "cling" to their guns. 
Again, this is another indicator of the collapse of the left wing narrative. Their carefully crafted collusion of MSM, entertainment industry, and government is evaporating.

(This post was last modified: 02-27-2018, 11:13 PM by Jamies_fried_chicken.)

(02-27-2018, 10:59 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:
(02-27-2018, 10:51 PM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote: Boy the NRA has a tight grip on the GOP and they get to only dontate 4 stacks to a candidate just to shoot down gun reform.

That is a damn good job!

Do you really believe that they’d vote for gun control if not for the couple thousand they were given?

The NRA barely registers on the donations list. Their influence is because of the 4m+ members.
Absolutely! 

I mean Lapierre put out a snowflake response about Delta and now you have the Governor and others trying to scurry and repeal the tax break they was about to hand to the airline. 

I expect the republicans will expect heftier donations this year during midterms and in 2 more years during generals.

(02-27-2018, 11:12 PM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote:
(02-27-2018, 10:59 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: Do you really believe that they’d vote for gun control if not for the couple thousand they were given?

Absolutely! 

I mean Lapierre put out a snowflake response about Delta and now you have the Governor and others trying to scurry and repeal the tax break they was about to hand to the airline. 

I expect the republicans will demand heftier donations this year during midterms and in 2 more years during generals from the NRA and co. 

Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

(02-27-2018, 10:59 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: Do you really believe that they’d vote for gun control if not for the couple thousand they were given?

Absolutely! 

I expect the republicans will expect heftier donations this year during midterms and in 2 more years during generals.

(02-27-2018, 11:12 PM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote: Absolutely! 

I expect the republicans will demand heftier donations this year during midterms and in 2 more years during generals from the NRA and co. 

I know you don't get it, but if the left wants to use the commercial sector for political gain then the right will answer and the right will win. Kick the sleeping leviathan at your own peril.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Absolutely! 

Wait, I thought government telling private companies how to run their business was a bad thing. Have conservatives already forgotten Hobby Lobby?

What’s good for the goose is good for the gander!

(02-27-2018, 11:57 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:

I know you don't get it, but if the left wants to use the commercial sector for political gain then the right will answer and the right will win. Kick the sleeping leviathan at your own peril.

If the NRA has “no influence” like some on here have suggested, maybe just maybe the Lt. Gov bit off more than he can chew, or was his bark bigger than his bite?

(02-28-2018, 12:12 AM)TJBender Wrote:
(02-27-2018, 11:12 PM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote: Absolutely! 

Wait, I thought government telling private companies how to run their business was a bad thing. Have conservatives already forgotten Hobby Lobby?

Good point.

If Georgia Republican lawmakers used any common sense, they could look no further than North Carolina and the damage that was done when lawmakers in that state shot down the bathroom bill. 

Because of their stupidity, it may have cost Atlanta their shot at being the 2nd HQ for Amazon.

(02-28-2018, 04:26 AM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote:
(02-27-2018, 11:57 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:

If the NRA has “no influence” like some on here have suggested, maybe just maybe the Lt. Gov bit off more than he can chew, or was his bark bigger than his bite?

You're getting the fight on the field you selected. You took the colleges and the press and Hollywood without opposition. I'm glad someone finally decided that a refusal to fight the culture war is the same as surrender. Millions of us dont want to fight, we're opposed to politicizing commerce, but when your side has no compunction against doing so...well, game on.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 02-28-2018, 07:40 AM by Jamies_fried_chicken.)

(02-28-2018, 07:13 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(02-28-2018, 04:26 AM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote: If the NRA has “no influence” like some on here have suggested, maybe just maybe the Lt. Gov bit off more than he can chew, or was his bark bigger than his bite?

You're getting the fight on the field you selected. You took the colleges and the press and Hollywood without opposition. I'm glad someone finally decided that a refusal to fight the culture war is the same as surrender. Millions of us dont want to fight, we're opposed to politicizing commerce, but when your side has no compunction against doing so...well, game on.

Man what the hell are you on this early in the morning?

We “took” the colleges. We “took” the press, what is this all adding up to? 

It’s called social progress that you are witnessing. This is the same human evolution that occurred during women’s rights, Civil rights, etc. The same stuff you just said was mentioned back then either you evolve or you get left beind and DIE being a miserable human being.

(02-28-2018, 07:37 AM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote:
(02-28-2018, 07:13 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: You're getting the fight on the field you selected. You took the colleges and the press and Hollywood without opposition. I'm glad someone finally decided that a refusal to fight the culture war is the same as surrender. Millions of us dont want to fight, we're opposed to politicizing commerce, but when your side has no compunction against doing so...well, game on.

It’s called social progress that you are witnessing. This is the same human evolution that occurred during women’s rights, Civil rights, etc. The same stuff you just said was mentioned back then either you evolve or you get left beind and DIE being a miserable human being.
Leftism is social regression that creates misery wherever it takes hold.

(This post was last modified: 02-28-2018, 10:43 AM by Adam2012.)

(02-28-2018, 07:13 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: You're getting the fight on the field you selected. You took the colleges and the press and Hollywood without opposition. I'm glad someone finally decided that a refusal to fight the culture war is the same as surrender. Millions of us dont want to fight, we're opposed to politicizing commerce, but when your side has no compunction against doing so...well, game on.

There are a number of people who want to hold back time - usually to 1954. After that it all started to go to hell.

And they used to call themselves "small government conservatives" until a non-Democrat actually won the presidency. Now they are power hungry and don't seem to mind disregarding those moral and political principles that they never had in the first place.

(02-27-2018, 11:06 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(02-27-2018, 10:08 PM)B2hibry Wrote: Really odd how the concentration lately has been on the NRA and there political influence when they don’t even register in the top 200 for contributions. Yet, nearly all of the top 25 are hardcore Democratic donors with the #1 being the Fahr Group at over $90M. More twisting by the media.

The shrill left gives the NRA more cachet than anyone. They are the NRA's best friend. They've spent the last 30 years building this huge strawman of gun control opposition, when in fact, the NRA barely registers on the radars of most gun owners. The left simply can't accept that so many people disagree with them on basic principle of their own free will and thought. It MUST be the NRA imposing overwhelming social and political influence to make people "cling" to their guns. 
Again, this is another indicator of the collapse of the left wing narrative. Their carefully crafted collusion of MSM, entertainment industry, and government is evaporating.

The NRA is for the left what the Clinton Foundation is for the right. Just a symbol, nothing more. And they both have little to do with the actual events unfolding.

Your last two sentences are great examples of whistling past the grave yard. "Collapse of the left wing narrative"? Which right wing site came up with that one? Might as well just have said get off my lawn.
The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Social progress? It's called grandstanding and has become the "cool" thing to do. If you think a majority of the tide pod eaters, cinnamon challenge takers, blue whale chasers, and whatever other stupidity challenge are remotely intuned with anything going on, you are who the left is targeting. No free thinking allowed! To compare the partisan bashing of today to actual civil rights movements of the past is disrespectful at the very least. It is the campus stupidity and random marches with no coordinated agenda that is proving to set society back to the 50s-60s era. Pro-communists, pro-socialism, and Anti-fascist fascist (clueless group) are threatening equality. As it pertains to the 2nd amendment, they and all the other "anti-gun" crowd would be happy to have it go back to the days when certain groups were not allowed to have firearms... Black Panther Party and the NRA chartered "Black Armed Guard" were key players in the civil rights movement that used the 2nd amendment and firearms as a tool for welcomed change. Today we are not evolving, radical groups are instrumental in taking advantage of the political climate to devolve society. 

[Image: 28166877_1614734911909593_73337571460929...e=5B123442]

(This post was last modified: 02-28-2018, 11:10 AM by TJBender.)

Dick's Sporting Goods just announced that they will stop selling firearms to anyone under 21, and will cease sales of high-powered assault style rifles.

Another shoe drops

(02-28-2018, 07:13 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(02-28-2018, 04:26 AM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote: If the NRA has “no influence” like some on here have suggested, maybe just maybe the Lt. Gov bit off more than he can chew, or was his bark bigger than his bite?

So what are your thoughts on Hobby Lobby politicizing commerce?