Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
What happens if ARob doesn't return?

I have a question regarding the possibility of trading AROB. Specifically, can he be traded to the Panthers for Andrew Norwell either before or after Tuesday- the last day to place the franchise tag on key players? My thinking is this- the Jaguars need an interior lineman and Norwell is the best one who should be available, The Panthers are very weak at wide receiver and don't plan to keep Norwell due to the price he will demand.

It seems like this would be a win-win if it could be done. The Jags wouldn't need to draft an offensive lineman in the early rounds if they did this and would likely take one of the receivers in the first couple rounds of a pretty deep draft for wide receivers. So, is this a possibility for the Jaguars or impossible due to league rules?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-04-2018, 12:48 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: I have a question regarding the possibility of trading AROB. Specifically, can he be traded to the Panthers for Andrew Norwell either before or after Tuesday- the last day to place the franchise tag on key players? My thinking is this- the Jaguars need an interior lineman and Norwell is the best one who should be available, The Panthers are very weak at wide receiver and don't plan to keep Norwell due to the price he will demand.

It seems like this would be a win-win if it could be done. The Jags wouldn't need to draft an offensive lineman in the early rounds if they did this and would likely take one of the receivers in the first couple rounds of a pretty deep draft  for wide receivers. So, is this a possibility for the Jaguars or impossible due to league rules?

This is a good idea. Get Dave on the phone.

(03-04-2018, 01:17 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(03-04-2018, 12:48 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: I have a question regarding the possibility of trading AROB. Specifically, can he be traded to the Panthers for Andrew Norwell either before or after Tuesday- the last day to place the franchise tag on key players? My thinking is this- the Jaguars need an interior lineman and Norwell is the best one who should be available, The Panthers are very weak at wide receiver and don't plan to keep Norwell due to the price he will demand.

It seems like this would be a win-win if it could be done. The Jags wouldn't need to draft an offensive lineman in the early rounds if they did this and would likely take one of the receivers in the first couple rounds of a pretty deep draft  for wide receivers. So, is this a possibility for the Jaguars or impossible due to league rules?

This is a good idea. Get Dave on the phone.
I don't have his direct number, but I'm sure he reads Duvalpride religiously.

If they don't tag or agree on a new contract with A-Rob, I'm starting to lean toward drafting the kid from USF.

https://www.floridafootballinsiders.com/...t-combine/

(03-04-2018, 02:08 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: If they don't tag or agree on a new contract with A-Rob, I'm starting to lean toward drafting the kid from USF.

I'd opt for the kid from LSU who beat his time.

'02

(03-04-2018, 02:42 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(03-04-2018, 02:08 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: If they don't tag or agree on a new contract with A-Rob, I'm starting to lean toward drafting the kid from USF.

Why?
I don’t want to spend a pick that high on A WR. He’ll probably be gone before our second pick. 

Valdes-Scantling could still be there at our third pick (probably later.) He’s a bit of a developmental prospect. 
And I think 4.37 is plenty fast enough.

(03-04-2018, 07:27 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: My position is, if we don't sign AR, we will be free to use the money on something else.

That's a legitimate point.  If we don't spend $16 million on the franchise tag, we do have $16 million to spend on something else.  The problem is that I would consider a wide receiver my top priority for free agency.  While I want to be optimistic about Cole, Westbrook and Mickens, it's a big gamble to go into the season with them as our top three receivers.  When you are one game away from the Super Bowl, that's not a gamble you should take.  I also question whether the Jags would retain Hurns if A-Rob leaves.  I don't think Hurns is worth anything near $7 million.  I'd much rather pay the extra $9 million and get the guy with a 1,400 yards / 14 TD season on his resume.  Bortles is now throwing better than ever.

I also like the idea of going after tight end and guard in the draft considering where we are drafting.  Those are two positions that often drop in the draft and I think we have a lot of options.  I hate boxing us in to having to take a wide receiver in round one and even if we do, wide receivers often take time to develop.  Franchising A-Rob is by far the safest thing.

I do wonder if maybe A-Rob's injury is worse than we know?  If so, that's a legitimate reason not to tag him.  I do get the feeling that the Jaguars are not going to tag him.  I wonder if they know something that we don't.

(03-04-2018, 03:40 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote:
(03-04-2018, 07:27 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: My position is, if we don't sign AR, we will be free to use the money on something else.

That's a legitimate point.  If we don't spend $16 million on the franchise tag, we do have $16 million to spend on something else.  The problem is that I would consider a wide receiver my top priority for free agency.  While I want to be optimistic about Cole, Westbrook and Mickens, it's a big gamble to go into the season with them as our top three receivers.  When you are one game away from the Super Bowl, that's not a gamble you should take.  I also question whether the Jags would retain Hurns if A-Rob leaves.  I don't think Hurns is worth anything near $7 million.  I'd much rather pay the extra $9 million and get the guy with a 1,400 yards / 14 TD season on his resume.  Bortles is now throwing better than ever.

I also like the idea of going after tight end and guard in the draft considering where we are drafting.  Those are two positions that often drop in the draft and I think we have a lot of options.  I hate boxing us in to having to take a wide receiver in round one and even if we do, wide receivers often take time to develop.  Franchising A-Rob is by far the safest thing.

I do wonder if maybe A-Rob's injury is worse than we know?  If so, that's a legitimate reason not to tag him.  I do get the feeling that the Jaguars are not going to tag him.  I wonder if they know something that we don't.

You don't think the guy with a 10 TD 1000 receiver is worth anything near 7 mil?

(03-04-2018, 03:07 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-04-2018, 02:42 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
Why?
I don’t want to spend a pick that high on A WR. He’ll probably be gone before our second pick. 

Valdes-Scantling could still be there at our third pick (probably later.) He’s a bit of a developmental prospect. 
And I think 4.37 is plenty fast enough.

If we lose ARob, WR will suddenly be our biggest need.
'02

I"m wondering about the injury as well.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(This post was last modified: 03-04-2018, 09:10 PM by knarnn.)

https://mobile.twitter.com/rosterwatch/s...3319942144

And ARob liked the tweet.

https://sportsnaut.com/2018/03/allen-rob...chise-tag/
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(03-04-2018, 09:08 PM)knarnn Wrote: https://mobile.twitter.com/rosterwatch/s...3319942144

I do not like this.

Arob is not Julio Jones or Antonio Brown and hes coming off an ACL. You cannot throw the bank at him. How'd we do last year without him. Hes good but not worth 16mil

(This post was last modified: 03-04-2018, 10:31 PM by Protozoa.)

(03-04-2018, 09:08 PM)knarnn Wrote: https://mobile.twitter.com/rosterwatch/s...3319942144

Yeah don't like anything about this.

(03-04-2018, 10:27 PM)BamboozledAgain Wrote: Arob is not Julio Jones or Antonio Brown and hes coming off an ACL. You cannot throw the bank at him. How'd we do last year without him. Hes good but not worth 16mil

That's a two sided coin. How much better would we have been last year with him.
[Image: OIG4.uBuSY6yngBYRov__0Zi.?dpr=2.6&pid=ImgDetMain]

RosterWatch also said they expect AROb to get 10-12M a year with 25M guaranteed.

I’m going to be pretty upset if that’s all it takes to sign him and we let him go.

He's coming off an acl. Acl is not what it used to be, but first year back is never the same. His previous season was a huge letdown with quite a few bad routes and dropped balls, but Bortles sucked then too.

He has never been a top 10 wr. The franchise tag would pay him like a top 5 receiver, but in year 1 back from an acl you're paying 16 million for 800 yds and 8 tds (that's what you get from Lee as well).

He and his agent know this is the worst year for wr in a long time both draft and free agency. They are probably asking for 4 years and 70 million 35-40 million guaranteed. Is he worth that? Does his production on 1 solid year and a training camp earn that?

(This post was last modified: 03-04-2018, 11:13 PM by BamboozledAgain.)

(03-04-2018, 10:32 PM)HolsterHusto Wrote: RosterWatch also said they expect AROb to get 10-12M a year with 25M guaranteed.

I’m going to be pretty upset if that’s all it takes to sign him and we let him go.

No way we let him walk for that. If so he just doesnt want to be here.

(03-04-2018, 10:30 PM)Protozoa Wrote:

Yeah don't like anything about this.

(03-04-2018, 10:27 PM)BamboozledAgain Wrote: Arob is not Julio Jones or Antonio Brown and hes coming off an ACL. You cannot throw the bank at him. How'd we do last year without him. Hes good but not worth 16mil

All we have to go on is last year. Does Bortles force the ball to Arob or spread the ball out

(03-04-2018, 10:33 PM)JeepJag Wrote: He's coming off an acl. Acl is not what it used to be, but first year back is never the same. His previous season was a huge letdown with quite a few bad routes and dropped balls, but Bortles sucked then too.

He has never been a top 10 wr. The franchise tag would pay him like a top 5 receiver, but in year 1 back from an acl you're paying 16 million for 800 yds and 8 tds (that's what you get from Lee as well).

He and his agent know this is the worst year for wr in a long time both draft and free agency. They are probably asking for 4 years and 70 million 35-40 million guaranteed. Is he worth that? Does his production on 1 solid year and a training camp earn that?

NOPE!

The old saying there is no such thing as a bad one year deal definitely applies here with the franchise tag. There is no real way it hurts us. We have more than enough cap room to tag Arob and upgrade the rest of the team. Doing this should have specifically been what backloading Bortles' contract is for.

And if we are dead set on sticking with what we had last year we should at least tag and trade him like the Dolphins are doing with Landry. There is a sizeable market for Landry and Arob is better than Landry. This just makes no sense from any angle.

(03-04-2018, 11:08 PM)BamboozledAgain Wrote:
(03-04-2018, 10:32 PM)HolsterHusto Wrote: RosterWatch also said they expect AROb to get 10-12M a year with 25M guaranteed.

No way we let him walk for that. If so he just doesnt want to be here.

(03-04-2018, 10:30 PM)Protozoa Wrote: Yeah don't like anything about this.

All we have to go on is last year. Does Bortles force the ball to Arob or spread the ball out

(03-04-2018, 10:33 PM)JeepJag Wrote: He's coming off an acl. Acl is not what it used to be, but first year back is never the same. His previous season was a huge letdown with quite a few bad routes and dropped balls, but Bortles sucked then too.

NOPE!
I think Bortles does the same thing he did last year with ARob still in the line up. I think that because it's what Bortles did the last to games of 16 when Marone took over and ARob had his best 2 games that season.
[Image: OIG4.uBuSY6yngBYRov__0Zi.?dpr=2.6&pid=ImgDetMain]

(03-04-2018, 11:48 PM)Upper Wrote: The old saying there is no such thing as a bad one year deal definitely applies here with the franchise tag. There is no real way it hurts us. We have more than enough cap room to tag Arob and upgrade the rest of the team. Doing this should have specifically been what backloading Bortles' contract is for.

And if we are dead set on sticking with what we had last year we should at least tag and trade him like the Dolphins are doing with Landry. There is a sizeable market for Landry and Arob is better than Landry. This just makes no sense from any angle.

Agreed on both fronts actually. It's well known the Phins aren't going to actually keep Landry but they went ahead and franchised him. We at least could keep ARob if no good offers materialized