Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
What happens if ARob doesn't return?

James Washington at 29 confirmed

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

A guy I'm starting to like more and more is Tre'quan Smith of UCF. 6'2" big play guy with above average speed, long arms and really good body control. I'd like to see him get a little stronger, but this kid has a lot of natural ability. If he's there in the 4th, I'd pull the trigger.

(03-05-2018, 09:40 AM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: I really like AR but I think he wants close to Antonio Brown money and believes he can get it from some other team. He ain’t worth that. He had one really good season and has missed a bunch of games. Our best season happen without him. I know he wants to get paid and I’m not mad about it. Go get your payday and I wish him well. The jags will move on and draft a big body in round 3-4

Hence the franchise tag. We don't have to give him what he thinks he's worth. We can give him a no risk one year deal to make him prove he is healthy and then we can go from there.

(This post was last modified: 03-05-2018, 05:41 PM by Andy G.)

A question.

If ARob is allowed to leave, which or our current players do we think is capable of having a 1,000 yard 10TD season (or better) ?

Lee? Cole? Westbrook? Hurns?

And if it’s none of the above, is there anyone we can realistically draft who might be capable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(03-05-2018, 03:24 PM)NFL Scout Wrote:
(03-05-2018, 09:40 AM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: I really like AR but I think he wants close to Antonio Brown money and believes he can get it from some other team. He ain’t worth that. He had one really good season and has missed a bunch of games. Our best season happen without him. I know he wants to get paid and I’m not mad about it. Go get your payday and I wish him well. The jags will move on and draft a big body in round 3-4

The problem is that it's been hard to gauge just how good Robinson has been with Bortles at quarterback. I agree that he's not Antonio Brown, but he can be a top-tier receiver in the NFL. The last thing Jacksonville wants to do is start letting talented guys walk like the Browns have recently (i.e. Mitchell Schwartz, Tashaun Gipson, etc.).

I hear you. But this is what happens when you bet on yourself in a contract year. Apparently the team offered him a nice contract and he turned it down because he felt like he would cash in. Well that didn’t happen. He torn his ACL. Now the team had all the leaverage. I’m sure on good faith they are most likely offering him something similar to the deal they offered with incentives. I just think he really want some AB money and he just ain’t gotta gonna get hat hear from us. 

At this point he is all potential. He hasn’t produced consistently and now he has a injury history. Conventional wisdom would say he would jump on this offer but some team like the 9ers or browns will pay him 16-17 a year. And I won’t blame him if he took it. I just don’t want the jags paying that for the at best, 10-12th best wideout.

(This post was last modified: 03-05-2018, 05:49 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(03-05-2018, 05:41 PM)Andy G Wrote: A question.

If ARob is allowed to leave, which or our current players do we think is capable of having a 1,000 yard 10TD season (or better) ?

And if it’s none of the above, is there anyone we can realistically draft who might be capable?

I honestly believe either Cole or Westbrook or both could reach the 1,000 yard receiving mark.

(This post was last modified: 03-05-2018, 05:52 PM by Etdavis2006.)

(03-05-2018, 05:12 PM)Upper Wrote:

Hence the franchise tag. We don't have to give him what he thinks he's worth. We can give him a no risk one year deal to make him prove he is healthy and then we can go from there.

This can be an option. We could in essence franchise him and then resign Colvin. I just don’t know if that’s smart to franchise a guy who didn’t put up 1000 yards in 2016 and then tore his ACL in 2017 as soon as the season started. He doesn’t have the leaverage. I am also inclined to think the team thinks they can move on without him. A better option would be the transition tag. That’s way the market can set his price and if it’s something we like we can match it.

(03-05-2018, 05:47 PM)We TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-05-2018, 05:41 PM)Andy G Wrote: A question.

I honestly believe either Cole or Westbrook or both could reach the 1,000 yard receiving mark.
Didn’t Cole put up almost 800 yards as a rookie?

(03-05-2018, 05:50 PM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: This can be an option. We could in essence franchise him and then resign Colvin. I just don’t know if that’s smart to franchise a guy who didn’t put up 1000 yards in 2016 and then tore his ACL in 2017 as soon as the season started. He doesn’t have the leaverage. I am also inclined to think the team thinks they can move on without him. A better option would be the transition tag. That’s way the market can set his price and if it’s something we like we can match it.

The transition tag includes a ton of risk. There are a lot of teams with 100 million in cap space and desperate WR situations like the Niners, Jets, Bears that would give him a franchise WR deal right now. Then we have to decide on matching a deal without knowing how he will return from the ACL.

Or for just ~2 million more we can completely eliminate that risk and let 2018 play out before committing to a big, long term contract.

(03-05-2018, 05:50 PM)Etdavis2006 Wrote:
(03-05-2018, 05:12 PM)Upper Wrote: Hence the franchise tag. We don't have to give him what he thinks he's worth. We can give him a no risk one year deal to make him prove he is healthy and then we can go from there.

This can be an option. We could in essence franchise him and then resign Colvin. I just don’t know if that’s smart to franchise a guy who didn’t put up 1000 yards in 2016 and then tore his ACL in 2017 as soon as the season started. He doesn’t have the leaverage. I am also inclined to think the team thinks they can move on without him. A better option would be the transition tag. That’s way the market can set his price and if it’s something we like we can match it.

(03-05-2018, 05:47 PM)We TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I honestly believe either Cole or Westbrook or both could reach the 1,000 yard receiving mark.

Yes.

(This post was last modified: 03-05-2018, 06:51 PM by Andy G.)

(03-05-2018, 05:50 PM)Etdavis2006 Wrote:
(03-05-2018, 05:12 PM)Upper Wrote: Hence the franchise tag. We don't have to give him what he thinks he's worth. We can give him a no risk one year deal to make him prove he is healthy and then we can go from there.

(03-05-2018, 05:47 PM)We TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I honestly believe either Cole or Westbrook or both could reach the 1,000 yard receiving mark.

Cole had 748 yards and 3TDs in 16 games.

That’s some way short.

Westbrook got 339 and 1TD in seven games. At that rate he wouldn’t come close either.

Of course both could improve in year two (and you’d hope they would) but I wouldn’t be confident of either hitting the 1000-10 target.

But maybe no Jags receiver will hit that target, with more emphasis on the running game...

(03-05-2018, 06:51 PM)Andy G Wrote:
(03-05-2018, 05:50 PM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: This can be an option. We could in essence franchise him and then resign Colvin. I just don’t know if that’s smart to franchise a guy who didn’t put up 1000 yards in 2016 and then tore his ACL in 2017 as soon as the season started. He doesn’t have the leaverage. I am also inclined to think the team thinks they can move on without him. A better option would be the transition tag. That’s way the market can set his price and if it’s something we like we can match it.

Cole had 748 yards and 3TDs in 16 games.

That’s some way short.

Westbrook got 339 and 1TD in seven games. At that rate he wouldn’t come close either.

Of course both could improve in year two (and you’d hope they would) but I wouldn’t be confident of either hitting the 1000-10 target.

But maybe no Jags receiver will hit that target, with more emphasis on the running game...
Cole was active for 16 games but only had six starts. He had 83 targets. By comparison, ARob had 548 yards on 81 targets in his rookie year.

My question to everyone else why does Blake get blamed for everything offensive related? Can a rock take some blame for his own struggles in 2016 especially when he couldn't beat press coverage or deal with Teams scheming for him?
[Image: giphy.gif]

(03-05-2018, 06:04 PM)Upper Wrote:

The transition tag includes a ton of risk. There are a lot of teams with 100 million in cap space and desperate WR situations like the Niners, Jets, Bears that would give him a franchise WR deal right now. Then we have to decide on matching a deal without knowing how he will return from the ACL.

Or for just ~2 million more we can completely eliminate that risk and let 2018 play out before committing to a big, long term contract.

Exactly... the transition tag is like $13.8 mil which is right about what his market value truly is. But with the risk involved, just franchise tag the guy for a couple mil more. 
'02

(03-05-2018, 06:04 PM)Upper Wrote:

I mean it makes sense. I guess it depends on the other plans the team has. If they are targeting a few guys in FA like a guard and TE that could derail those plans. Maybe he is worth it. Idk. I’m starting to warm up to the franchise tag when you explain it like that

(03-05-2018, 07:50 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(03-05-2018, 06:04 PM)Upper Wrote: The transition tag includes a ton of risk. There are a lot of teams with 100 million in cap space and desperate WR situations like the Niners, Jets, Bears that would give him a franchise WR deal right now. Then we have to decide on matching a deal without knowing how he will return from the ACL.

Exactly... the transition tag is like $13.8 mil which is right about what his market value truly is. But with the risk involved, just franchise tag the guy for a couple mil more. 

There's more to it than just the $2M difference. When you apply the franchise tag a player gets the opinion that he's not getting market value, will be reluctant to sign a long term contract, and could be a locker room cancer with a bad attitude. With the transition tag the player knows his true market value and the Jags either get him at that price, or at their original contract offer if it was more than his highest offer from another team. ARob knows he got full value from the Jags that way, so he's less likely to be a disgruntled player.

Of course there's the risk that another team will offer way more than he's worth. Not likely, but possible.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(03-05-2018, 08:03 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(03-05-2018, 07:50 PM)Jags02 Wrote: Exactly... the transition tag is like $13.8 mil which is right about what his market value truly is. But with the risk involved, just franchise tag the guy for a couple mil more. 

There's more to it than just the $2M difference. When you apply the franchise tag a player gets the opinion that he's not getting market value, will be reluctant to sign a long term contract, and could be a locker room cancer with a bad attitude. With the transition tag the player knows his true market value and the Jags either get him at that price, or at their original contract offer if it was more than his highest offer from another team. ARob knows he got full value from the Jags that way, so he's less likely to be a disgruntled player.

Of course there's the risk that another team will offer way more than he's worth. Not likely, but possible.

True, and then there's the risk for future years because the cost to franchise a player for the second straight year goes way up. Le'Veon Bell, for instance, is about to get franchised for a second straight year.  I worked out the numbers for ARob previously, and ARob's year-two cost would be something like $22 mil... and then it years three it goes up by an even greater percentage. A player who gets franchised all three years is actually among the luckiest players ever. Double D knows.

'02

(03-05-2018, 08:03 PM)MalabarJag Wrote: There's more to it than just the $2M difference. When you apply the franchise tag a player gets the opinion that he's not getting market value, will be reluctant to sign a long term contract, and could be a locker room cancer with a bad attitude. With the transition tag the player knows his true market value and the Jags either get him at that price, or at their original contract offer if it was more than his highest offer from another team. ARob knows he got full value from the Jags that way, so he's less likely to be a disgruntled player.

I dunno players act disgruntled about it in the offseason sometimes, but when push comes to shove they have to perform well on the tag if they want the big, long term deal the next year. I do not think it would affect anything with how Arob played.

If he's confident in his ability to produce in this style of offense with Blake (and not get injured) in 2018 he stands to earn close to 50 million guaranteed altogether by playing on the tag and getting a contract from somewhere in 2019.

That's a considerable amount of money and something Arobs team will 100% be considering. Push the jags as hard as you can , worst case scenario for him is we tag and he plays meh in 2018. Even still he'd receive around 30/35 million guaranteed in total.

Johnny O says he gone

(03-05-2018, 08:13 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(03-05-2018, 08:03 PM)MalabarJag Wrote: There's more to it than just the $2M difference. When you apply the franchise tag a player gets the opinion that he's not getting market value, will be reluctant to sign a long term contract, and could be a locker room cancer with a bad attitude. With the transition tag the player knows his true market value and the Jags either get him at that price, or at their original contract offer if it was more than his highest offer from another team. ARob knows he got full value from the Jags that way, so he's less likely to be a disgruntled player.

True, and then there's the risk for future years because the cost to franchise a player for the second straight year goes way up. Le'Veon Bell, for instance, is about to get franchised for a second straight year.  I worked out the numbers for ARob previously, and ARob's year-two cost would be something like $22 mil... and then it years three it goes up by an even greater percentage. A player who gets franchised all three years is actually among the luckiest players ever. Double D knows.

1) Double D signed a contract rather than play under the 3rd franchise tag. Although based on the numbers he should have just played under the tag.

2) I don't think the 3rd year of a franchise tag went up as much back then as it does now.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"