Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Caldwell Speaks

Dave Caldwell provided a little insight into the Jaguars approach to the upcoming draft in this article on Jaguars.com.

http://www.jaguars.com/news/article-Jagu...eb48978097

Of particular interest to me was this quote from him:

Quote:“I think it is a good draft. I think the last couple of years we have been fortunate with our early picks and I think this year will be different for us because we are picking a little bit later in each round, so we have to have a little bit different strategy, but I think you can find starters in the first two to three rounds like we have and some good depth after that.”

Does Caldwell think this draft is deeper and more talented than it was the last couple of years, where our draft position "insulated" us from the overall lack of talent and depth?

I wonder how the draft position and the depth alters the overall strategy?

Does he see two to three starting positions open for the Jaguars?

Would he trade down to maximize the chances of landing those starters?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

The part of that article that drew my attention the most was where he talked about:

"...Now you are looking at the second, third and fourth round like you are at the front of the second round, front of the third round and front of the fourth round..."

To me, that makes it seem like he is viewing the team as getting a very good "Second Round" pick with their 1 - 29 selection and so forth. To me, that begs the question 'is Caldwell more willing to drop back from the First Round this season as he is only expecting a Second Round value with that pick? Remember too, Caldwell has always talked about how he and his team tries to take a look forward into next season's draft crop for this year's strategy. 

Is it feasible to try and trade that late 2018 First Round pick for an early 2019 First Round pick? 

I took the above away from his talk more than I did the depth of this class.
I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

(03-06-2018, 12:16 PM)Deacon Wrote: The part of that article that drew my attention the most was where he talked about:

"...Now you are looking at the second, third and fourth round like you are at the front of the second round, front of the third round and front of the fourth round..."

To me, that makes it seem like he is viewing the team as getting a very good "Second Round" pick with their 1 - 29 selection and so forth. To me, that begs the question 'is Caldwell more willing to drop back from the First Round this season as he is only expecting a Second Round value with that pick? Remember too, Caldwell has always talked about how he and his team tries to take a look forward into next season's draft crop for this year's strategy. 

Is it feasible to try and trade that late 2018 First Round pick for an early 2019 First Round pick? 

I think what he's saying is despite picking at the end of the second, third and fourth round etc..., they'll still be in position to draft a player who's talent warrants a high 2nd, 3rd, 4th round pick. This speaks to the depth of this draft, as Bullesye originally alluded to/

(03-06-2018, 12:16 PM)Deacon Wrote: The part of that article that drew my attention the most was where he talked about:

That caught my attention too, and I wondered about the trade back possibility, though I didn't quite interpret that as "only" expecting second round value.

As for the possibility of obtaining an early 2019 first round pick?  I'd feel a lot better about that possibility if we had Bobby Beathard in this draft.  He was notorious for doing that.  To me, the best chance of that happening, would be for one of the QBs to fall and a team get desperate.

We aren't going to tag Allen Robinson.

While the possibility theoretically exists that we can re-sign him, I think he's gone.

Does this mean he thinks the draft sufficiently deep at WR to obtain a starter at 29 throughout rounds 2-3 of this draft?

Does G represent one of those starter positions?

What about nickel back? Do we keep Colvin?

(This post was last modified: 03-06-2018, 12:37 PM by Deacon.)

(03-06-2018, 12:23 PM)Bullseye Wrote:

That caught my attention too, and I wondered about the trade back possibility, though I didn't quite interpret that as "only" expecting second round value.

As for the possibility of obtaining an early 2019 first round pick?  I'd feel a lot better about that possibility if we had Bobby Beathard in this draft. (1) He was notorious for doing that.  To me, the best chance of that happening, would be for one of the QBs to fall and a team get desperate. (2)

1. Well, the only option now is to get our own Bobby Beathard. This will be Caldwell's first time in this situation at the helm, but not Coughlin. Maybe he can provide some guidance for that although Coughlin always seemed to me to be more of a "trade up" guy than trade back.

2. I'm not so sure that's the only way though. I read somewhere about how Cleveland moved up from the early Second into the late first last year for a TE, Njoku. This makes me wonder if a player is sitting there that a team sees him as rounding out their roster, maybe that would be more enticing than a QB who fell. Again, I have no idea if this is true or not, it just makes me wonder.

(03-06-2018, 12:22 PM)jagforlife85 Wrote:

I think what he's saying is despite picking at the end of the second, third and fourth round etc..., they'll still be in position to draft a player who's talent warrants a high 2nd, 3rd, 4th round pick. This speaks to the depth of this draft, as Bullesye originally alluded to/

I get that, and I agree with that aspect. I probably could have done a better job of wording my response in that I am more interested in how flexible Caldwell is going to be with his draft selections than his impression of the depth of the draft.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

(This post was last modified: 03-06-2018, 12:45 PM by Bullseye.)

(03-06-2018, 12:36 PM)Deacon Wrote:
(03-06-2018, 12:23 PM)Bullseye Wrote: That caught my attention too, and I wondered about the trade back possibility, though I didn't quite interpret that as "only" expecting second round value.

As for the possibility of obtaining an early 2019 first round pick?  I'd feel a lot better about that possibility if we had Bobby Beathard in this draft. (1) He was notorious for doing that.  To me, the best chance of that happening, would be for one of the QBs to fall and a team get desperate. (2)

1. Well, the only option now is to get our own Bobby Beathard. This will be Caldwell's first time in this situation at the helm, but not Coughlin. Maybe he can provide some guidance for that although Coughlin always seemed to me to be more of a "trade up" guy than trade back.

2. I'm not so sure that's the only way though. I read somewhere about how Cleveland moved up from the early Second into the late first last year for a TE, Njoku. This makes me wonder if a player is sitting there that a team sees him as rounding out their roster, maybe that would be more enticing than a QB who fell. Again, I have no idea if this is true or not, it just makes me wonder.

Well. for the record, I do not assert that a team wanting a QB is the ONLY way we could conceivably trade down from 29 out of the first round.  I DO believe, however, to make such a move to land us a first round pick next year, a team desperately looking for a QB is the best bet.  Yes, the Browns traded up into the late first round last year for Njoku.  But they didn't give up this year's first round pick to do it.  However, back in 2007, the Browns traded back into the bottom of the first round to draft Brady Quinn, and gave up the next year's first round pick to do so.

(03-06-2018, 12:36 PM)Deacon Wrote:
(03-06-2018, 12:23 PM)Bullseye Wrote: That caught my attention too, and I wondered about the trade back possibility, though I didn't quite interpret that as "only" expecting second round value.

(03-06-2018, 12:22 PM)jagforlife85 Wrote: I think what he's saying is despite picking at the end of the second, third and fourth round etc..., they'll still be in position to draft a player who's talent warrants a high 2nd, 3rd, 4th round pick. This speaks to the depth of this draft, as Bullesye originally alluded to/

I get that, and I agree with that aspect. I probably could have done a better job of wording my response in that I am more interested in how flexible Caldwell is going to be with his draft selections than his impression of the depth of the draft.

I see what you're saying, the fact that this draft does seem to be so deep should give DC some flexibility. Ultimately, given his comments it wouldn't surprise if they traded out of the first round to accumulate more draft picks, an additional 2nd would be ideal.

(03-06-2018, 01:01 PM)jagforlife85 Wrote: I see what you're saying, the fact that this draft does seem to be so deep should give DC some flexibility. Ultimately, given his comments it wouldn't surprise if they traded out of the first round to accumulate more draft picks, an additional 2nd would be ideal.

I read an article from Malcolm Gladwell of all people that talked about a study done on the value of Draft Picks. Without getting into too much detail, the conclusion that teams are better stockpiling Second Round picks due to the relative cost of them compared to First Round picks. To me, a great draft starts with multiple Second Rounders. I just feel like it gives a team so much flexibility during the draft.

(03-06-2018, 11:55 AM)Bullseye Wrote: Dave Caldwell provided a little insight into the Jaguars approach to the upcoming draft in this article on Jaguars.com.

Quote:“I think it is a good draft. I think the last couple of years we have been fortunate with our early picks and I think this year will be different for us because we are picking a little bit later in each round, so we have to have a little bit different strategy, but I think you can find starters in the first two to three rounds like we have and some good depth after that.”

Does Caldwell think this draft is deeper and more talented than it was the last couple of years, where our draft position "insulated" us from the overall lack of talent and depth?

I would venture to say yes.

We currently need a Guard as Omameh is a FA, TE as Marcedes is a placeholder and signed a placeholder contract, SLB as Poz is a FA, and of course WR with both Arob and Lee on their way to being free agents.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Why not ask Caldwell why, in the third round, he drafted Dawuane Smoot instead of Cooper Kupp? 

Another fine example of how drafting to fill a 'perceived need' blinds a team from taking an exceptionally more talented football player.

Kupp is bathed in the bright light of early NFL stardom. Smoot poses zero threat to the stability of the starting defensive end rotation as it was established prior to the 2017 NFL draft.

(This post was last modified: 03-07-2018, 08:01 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

(03-07-2018, 05:17 AM)JUNGLE CAT 2017 Wrote: Why not ask Caldwell why, in the third round, he drafted Dawuane Smoot instead of Cooper Kupp? 

Another fine example of how drafting to fill a 'perceived need' blinds a team from taking an exceptionally more talented football player.

Kupp is bathed in the bright light of early NFL stardom. Smoot poses zero threat to the stability of the starting defensive end rotation as it was established prior to the 2017 NFL draft.

Smoot wasn't a need and we took Westbrook in the next round

(03-06-2018, 02:24 PM)knarnn Wrote:
(03-06-2018, 11:55 AM)Bullseye Wrote: Dave Caldwell provided a little insight into the Jaguars approach to the upcoming draft in this article on Jaguars.com.

I would venture to say yes.

We currently need a Guard as Omameh is a FA, TE as Marcedes is a placeholder and signed a placeholder contract, SLB as Poz is a FA, and of course WR with both Arob and Lee on their way to being free agents.
Cann could be easily upgraded as well

(03-07-2018, 05:17 AM)JUNGLE CAT 2017 Wrote: Why not ask Caldwell why, in the third round, he drafted Dawuane Smoot instead of Cooper Kupp? 

We got the same, if not better, production out of Cole and we didn't have to waste a draft pick on him.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(03-07-2018, 08:26 AM)Rico Wrote:

We got the same, if not better, production out of Cole and we didn't have to waste a draft pick on him.

Maybe, but is he bathed in bright light? That makes all the difference!

(03-06-2018, 11:55 AM)Bullseye Wrote: Does he see two to three starting positions open for the Jaguars?

I can see rookies starting at TE, WR, G, MLB and NB which suggests these position will be the focus during the first two days. This is, if you consider Nickel Back to be a starting position.

As for a possible WR or NB, it would be great if he could also take over return duties on special teams. 

'02

(03-07-2018, 12:54 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(03-06-2018, 11:55 AM)Bullseye Wrote: Does he see two to three starting positions open for the Jaguars?

I can see rookies starting at TE, WR, G, MLB and NB which suggests these position will be the focus during the first two days. This is, if you consider Nickel Back to be a starting position.

As for a possible WR or NB, it would be great if he could also take over return duties on special teams. 

I could see those positions potentially being manned by rookies, though somehow I think one way or another there will be a vet at MLB.

But I have zero problems with the job Mickens has done at returner.

(03-07-2018, 07:59 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

Smoot wasn't a need and we took Westbrook in the next round

(03-06-2018, 02:24 PM)knarnn Wrote: I would venture to say yes.

Cann could be easily upgraded as well

Oh most definitely. I was just mentioning obvious holes.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(03-07-2018, 01:03 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-07-2018, 12:54 PM)Jags02 Wrote:

I could see those positions potentially being manned by rookies, though somehow I think one way or another there will be a vet at MLB.

But I have zero problems with the job Mickens has done at returner.
I still have hope they find a way to keep Colvin. Also, between Brown and Poz I think they can wait on finding a middle linebacker for at least 1 year.

(This post was last modified: 03-07-2018, 09:19 PM by JUNGLE CAT 2017.)

(03-07-2018, 08:26 AM)Rico Wrote:

No two picks were wasted. One was a paranoia pick wasted on a redundant pass rushing DE. The other was a waste attempting to solidify the stealthy offensive weapon Caldwell is STILL trying to replace.

We all know what a WR looks like. We know the measurements. The stride. The route-running ability, etc. 

What the Robinson injury exposed is how one deep he has this team. 

I mentioned Cooper Kupp because he is a legitimate candidate for a number one or number two role on the team. When Robinson went down Caldwell had only spiffy slot guys left.

https://youtu.be/m63oXszDTP8

(03-07-2018, 09:15 PM)JUNGLE CAT 2017 Wrote:
(03-07-2018, 08:26 AM)Rico Wrote: We got the same, if not better, production out of Cole and we didn't have to waste a draft pick on him.

No two picks were wasted. One was a paranoia pick wasted on a redundant pass rushing DE. The other was a waste attempting to solidify the stealthy offensive weapon Caldwell is STILL trying to replace.

We all know what a WR looks like. We know the measurements. The stride. The route-running ability, etc. 

What the Robinson injury exposed is how one deep he has this team. 

I mentioned Cooper Kupp because he is a legitimate candidate for a number one or number two role on the team. When Robinson went down Caldwell had only spiffy slot guys left.

https://youtu.be/m63oXszDTP8

We drafted the Biletnikoff award winner in the next round.  We could pick guy every year and say we wish we drafted this guy or that guy but we drafted the best WR in college football the next round.  You sit there and act like they forgot all about the position.  Westbrook might even turn out to be the better WR of the 2 as he didnt even play the first 8 games last year.