Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
What happens if ARob doesn't return?

(03-09-2018, 11:32 AM)Kane Wrote:
(03-08-2018, 07:34 PM)Upper Wrote: Position …  Tag Salary
QB … $23,189,000
RB … $11,866,000
WR …$15,982,000
TE … $9,846,000
OL …$14,077,000
DE … $17,143,000
DT … $13,939,000
LB … $14,961,000
CB … $14,975,000
S … $11,287,000
K/P … $4,939,000

Those are the tag numbers. The NFL says that WR is the third most important in the game. Dime a dozen...stop living in the past.

Tag numbers represent the top 3 positions averaged.

So because the top 3 WRs in the league are paid on average the 3rd best salary they are hard to find and you can only get them with high draft picks and should cap strap the team to keep one?

Interesting...
The NFL pays positions based on how much they value them. The more the NFL values a position the harder it is to find upper tier players of that position. Very good WRs get paid more than many positions and thus are harder to find.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 03-09-2018, 12:33 PM by Cleatwood.)

(03-09-2018, 12:29 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(03-09-2018, 11:32 AM)Kane Wrote: Tag numbers represent the top 3 positions averaged.

So because the top 3 WRs in the league are paid on average the 3rd best salary they are hard to find and you can only get them with high draft picks and should cap strap the team to keep one?

Interesting...
The NFL pays positions based on how much they value them. The more the NFL values a position the harder it is to find upper tier players of that position. Very good WRs get paid more than many positions and thus are harder to find.
I think I saw yesterday that there are only 5 running backs who are paid 5 million a year or more that aren't on rookie contracts.

McCoy, Bernard, Freeman, Lamar Miller, Lamar Murray.

On the flip side, the entire top 10 highest paid WRs are on second contracts and paid 11.5 million or higher.

(03-09-2018, 12:32 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(03-09-2018, 12:29 PM)JackCity Wrote: The NFL pays positions based on how much they value them. The more the NFL values a position the harder it is to find upper tier players of that position. Very good WRs get paid more than many positions and thus are harder to find.
I think I saw yesterday that there are only 5 running backs who are paid 5 million a year or more that aren't on rookie contracts.

McCoy, Bernard, Freeman, Lamar Miller, Lamar Murray.

On the flip side, the entire top 10 highest paid WRs are on second contracts and paid 11.5 million or higher.

Saw that too. RBs are the least valuable position bar special teams. It's crazy.

I don’t think that’s why they are deemed harder to find. I thought the pay scale is based on production and it’s easier to quantify what a guy like AB or AJ Green can get paid versus how a guy like Sherman or Pat Peterson gets paid. If you score tds you proly will get paid more than a guy who makes tackles and get a few pass break up. WR jersey sells are proly higher than cbs. They are more well know and more marketable than a defensive player or linemen.

That pay scales has nothing to do with the frequency or difficulty you can find a high end wideout. Of the top 20 highest paid wrs 13 of them were drafted in the second round or later with the highest paid being drafted in the 6th round. Now I’m not saying they are a dime a dozen or wideouts aren’t important but using this pay scale to determine that they are more important to the game or to determine the difficulty in finding one is invalid.

We just couldn’t find any cause our gms sucked for 10 plus years. They could drafted a high school paper correctly.

(03-09-2018, 11:32 AM)Kane Wrote: Tag numbers represent the top 3 positions averaged.

Interesting...

It's top 5, and yes. If WRs were easy to find and replace the league would not be paying the top ones more than any position except for QB and pass rusher. I understand how us having a year of success with an ancient 80s style of football can make us forget inside of our bubble, but WR is really damn valuable.

(This post was last modified: 03-09-2018, 03:42 PM by JNev.)

(03-09-2018, 02:48 PM)Upper Wrote:

Interesting...

It's top 5, and yes. If WRs were easy to find and replace the league would not be paying the top ones more than any position except for QB and pass rusher. I understand how us having a year of success with an ancient 80s style of football can make us forget inside of our bubble, but WR is really damn valuable.
Well REALLY it only means the Top 5 WRs are really good. It says absolutely nothing about the rest of them

(This post was last modified: 03-09-2018, 03:44 PM by Kane.)

(03-09-2018, 12:29 PM)JackCity Wrote:

Interesting...

I know how valuation works.
But the top 5 salaries don't make a blanket statement for an entire position.

WRs shouldn't be the players you break the bank for. Because every year (outside of perhaps 5 WRs in the league) you can get guys in FA or the draft. 
QBs, LTs, DEs (pass rushers) are much harder to find actual stars.

Antonio Brown was a 6th round pick.
Edleman was a late round picks. Welker was undrafted.
Donald Driver was a 7th round pick
As was Colston.

My whole point is... you find guys where you find em. And every year there are oodles of wideouts coming out of college and a few in free agency. Most of which will never see top 5 money at their position.
So the position as a whole isn't really valued where that tag price is, considering that is just an average of the top 5 salaries.

If you believe Arob is a top 5 WR for years to come... you give him that ched.
Hard to say he is or isn't based on one really good year and an injury.
WRs are so easy to find (and not worth that top 5 ched) that the Patriots have a different corp every other season just about. 

If ARob was clearly a top 5 WR, he would have already been paid or at least tagged.
Just so you all know... I wish he'd come back. I think we're a better team with him.
But I would hate to let Colvin go, be in a bind to extend Ramsey and Yannick, or have to cut other guys still making plays on D over a WR that was drafted in the 2nd round and had 1 really good season. Especially when we can draft and sign guys who could be as productive for way less.

(03-09-2018, 02:48 PM)Upper Wrote:

Interesting...

Meh...
I ain't seeing it.
How valuable was Odell to the G-Men this year?
Dez?

How'd things shake out for the Bills after they shipped their "#1" guy off?
Tacks made the playoffs and I'm not sure I can think of a WR on their roster..... Decker maybe?

I put WRs and RBs in the same group for me.
Use em and lose em, unless you find that next generational talent (Adrian Peterson, Antonio Brown, etc.) And if it's that clear he's locked up quick, imo.

(This post was last modified: 03-09-2018, 03:55 PM by JackCity.)

(03-09-2018, 03:41 PM)Kane Wrote:
(03-09-2018, 12:29 PM)JackCity Wrote: The NFL pays positions based on how much they value them. The more the NFL values a position the harder it is to find upper tier players of that position. Very good WRs get paid more than many positions and thus are harder to find.

WRs shouldn't be the players you break the bank for. Because every year (outside of perhaps 5 WRs in the league) you can get guys in FA or the draft. 

As was Colston.

My whole point is... you find guys where you find em. And every year there are oodles of wideouts coming out of college and a few in free agency. Most of which will never see top 5 money at their position.
So the position as a whole isn't really valued where that tag price is, considering that is just an average of the top 5 salaries.

WRs are so easy to find (and not worth that top 5 ched) that the Patriots have a different corp every other season just about. 

If ARob was clearly a top 5 WR, he would have already been paid or at least tagged.
Just so you all know... I wish he'd come back. I think we're a better team with him.
But I would hate to let Colvin go, be in a bind to extend Ramsey and Yannick, or have to cut other guys still making plays on D over a WR that was drafted in the 2nd round and had 1 really good season. Especially when we can draft and sign guys who could be as productive for way less.

Works out the same I'm pretty sure.  

Yep QBs, pass rusher and LTs are more valuable. That would be a given.   

You can make a list of players like that for every single position too. The reality is finding a very good receiver is one of the hardest positions to find. Hence the value.  You are confusing finding a reciever with finding a very good one. It's easy to find any old reciever, particularly when you have the GOAT QB throwing at them.  

You aren't making coherent points here man.  

We would have no problem extending Ramsey or Yannick by signing Arob either. Cap is very flexible.

(03-09-2018, 03:41 PM)Kane Wrote:

As was Colston.

(03-09-2018, 02:48 PM)Upper Wrote: It's top 5, and yes. If WRs were easy to find and replace the league would not be paying the top ones more than any position except for QB and pass rusher. I understand how us having a year of success with an ancient 80s style of football can make us forget inside of our bubble, but WR is really damn valuable.

Meh...
I ain't seeing it.
How valuable was Odell to the G-Men this year?
Dez?

How'd things shake out for the Bills after they shipped their "#1" guy off?
Tacks made the playoffs and I'm not sure I can think of a WR on their roster..... Decker maybe?

I put WRs and RBs in the same group for me.
Use em and lose em, unless you find that next generational talent (Adrian Peterson, Antonio Brown, etc.) And if it's that clear he's locked up quick, imo.

Kane knows how to value positions better than the NFL!

You said above you know how valuation works. Yet at the same time you are saying you are saying WR = RB in terms of value.

(This post was last modified: 03-09-2018, 04:02 PM by Etdavis2006.)

I guess it comes down to production over winning. When was the last time we saw a truly dominant WR win in the Super Bowl. Maybe D Thomas with Peyton but I wouldn’t consider him top 5. A top wr helps to make your offense extremely productive but how important are they to actually winning? That to me is how you determine the importance of a ppsition.

Qb, De, Lt, Cb (in that order) are the most important positions in football because they all directly effect the qb. After that, it would depend on the team philosophy. So the steelers may value LB next where as the seahawks or jags would value safety or DT next. Wr much further down that list. The conversation only changes when you are discussing a Calvin Johnson type that literally dictates what the defense can do but then it goes back to the original question “how intergral is it to actually winning?”

(This post was last modified: 03-09-2018, 04:27 PM by JackCity.)

(03-09-2018, 04:01 PM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: I guess it comes down to production over winning. When was the last time we saw a truly dominant WR win in the Super Bowl. Maybe D Thomas with Peyton but I wouldn’t consider him top 5. A top wr helps to make your offense extremely productive but how important are they to actually winning? That to me is how you determine the importance of a ppsition.

Qb, De, Lt, Cb (in that order) are the most important positions in football because they all directly effect the qb. After that, it would depend on the team philosophy. So the steelers may value LB next where as the seahawks or jags would value safety or DT next. Wr much further down that list. The conversation only changes when you are discussing a Calvin Johnson type that literally dictates what the defense can do but then it goes back to the original question “how intergral is it to actually winning?”

Why do we have to use "dominant" as our value? Why not just use "very good". How many teams have won a super bowl without at least one very good WR?    

Yep. You know what also effects QB performance? Having really good receivers. Hence why they get paid what they do. NFL teams don't just do it for the sake of it.  

And yes Calvin Johnson was a HOF caliber reciever. They aren't the only WRs that are valuable. Just look at the contracts teams pay, that will tell you where they value each position.

(This post was last modified: 03-09-2018, 04:32 PM by Etdavis2006.)

(03-09-2018, 04:21 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(03-09-2018, 04:01 PM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: I guess it comes down to production over winning. When was the last time we saw a truly dominant WR win in the Super Bowl. Maybe D Thomas with Peyton but I wouldn’t consider him top 5. A top wr helps to make your offense extremely productive but how important are they to actually winning? That to me is how you determine the importance of a ppsition.

Why do we have to use "dominant" as our value? Why not just use "very good". How many teams have won a super bowl without at least one very good WR?    

Yep. You know what also effects QB performance? Having really good receivers. Hence why they get paid what they do. NFL teams don't just do it for the sake of it.  

And yes Calvin Johnson was an HOF caliber reciever. They aren't the only WRs that are valuable. Just look at the contracts teams pay, that will tell you where they value each position.

Okay look at the last super bowl. None of those receiver would be considered in the top 20 best wideouts. It’s about what do you need to win. You can win with subpar wideouts. They get big contract because they score tds and you can quantify that into value. Give me Ramsey over any wideout you can name. Ramsey will have more impact on the game than that wideout. Von Miller will have more impact on the game than any wideout you can name. Hell Yannick had more impact on the game than Antion Brown. But it’s hard to quantify pressures and tackles for loss. Tds on the other had can be accumulated and valued. Cambell has more impact than deandre Hopkins but who gets paid more? Unfortunately contract cost does not mean more importance. But tds sell tickets so....

(03-09-2018, 04:31 PM)Etdavis2006 Wrote:
(03-09-2018, 04:21 PM)JackCity Wrote: Why do we have to use "dominant" as our value? Why not just use "very good". How many teams have won a super bowl without at least one very good WR?    

And yes Calvin Johnson was an HOF caliber reciever. They aren't the only WRs that are valuable. Just look at the contracts teams pay, that will tell you where they value each position.

Okay look at the last super bowl. None of those receiver would be considered in the top 20 best wideouts. It’s about what do you need to win. You can win with subpar wideouts. They get big contract because they score tds and you can quantify that into value. Give me Ramsey over any wideout you can name. Ramsey will have more impact on the game than that wideout. Von Miller will have more impact on the game than any wideout you can name. Hell Yannick had more impact on the game than Antion Brown. But it’s hard to quantify pressures and tackles for loss. Tds on the other had can be accumulated and valued. Cambell has more impact than deandre Hopkins but who gets paid more? Unfortunately contract cost does not mean more importance. But tds sell tickets so....
Yep Eagles won with meh WRs. Pats had Cooks. Go down through through the list of SBs and see how many very good receivers took part.  I'm not even sure what you are arguing against? 

Well yeah? Course Ramsey is more valuable? Of course Von Miller is more valuable? You're arguing with yourself here. This isn't news to me.

Contract cost does directly show value. Read through the positions that get paid the most and you will also see they are the most valuable.

(This post was last modified: 03-09-2018, 04:46 PM by Etdavis2006.)

How is a position important if you win consistently without it???

Lol alright

Thank you for agreeing with my points

It’s entertainment first. Those who score tds make the most money. It is what it is. Importance has nothing to do with contract cost lol

Mike Evans just got paid 17 million per year and 50 million guaranteed.

But they aren't valuable LMAO

Other than QB what position do you win consistently with? The outlier SB winning teams do it with pass rush (hence why they are the 2nd highest paid position), but other than that I am pretty sure you'll find good WRs as a core of a winning team just as much as you will corners, or offensive tackles, etc.

(03-09-2018, 04:45 PM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: How is a position important if you win consistently without it???

Lol alright

Thank you for agreeing with my points

It’s entertainment first. Those who score tds make the most money. It is what it is. Importance has nothing to do with contract cost lol

How many super bowl contestants have had no "very good" recievers? The reality is the vast majority do.    

Wut. I've never argued that CBs or pass rushers are less valuable than WRs.  

Sorry to disappoint but the NFL pays players based on how much they value them.  They aren't paying just to entertain don't be daft.

(03-09-2018, 04:49 PM)JackCity Wrote: Mike Evans just got paid 17 million per year and 50 million guaranteed.

Arob's eyes just lit up.

When was the last time the bucs even won 8 games lol. You are proving my point. You are over paying for a guy who’s position doesn’t actually result in wins. You are paying for his production and ability to sell tickets.

(03-09-2018, 04:53 PM)Upper Wrote:
(03-09-2018, 04:49 PM)JackCity Wrote: Mike Evans just got paid 17 million per year and 50 million guaranteed.

Arob's eyes just lit up.

Yup perfect timing for him. 50 million is bananas but just like that a new bar has been set. ODB is gonna be even higher surely.  

But WRs aren't valuable. The NFL just pays them for fun.