Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Hurns to be our number 1

With Arob out of the picture, all of the sudden Allen Hurns' contract is looking pretty good. He's probably going to be our WR1. With Westbrook at the WR2.

We're about to give a heavy dose to Westbrook this year. Big ups to Arob. But we move forward with Hurns, Westbrook, Lee, and Cole. 

We don't have that guy that will keep defensive coordinators awake at night. But I'm hoping Westbrook is that guy. 

Cole is capable of being a 1000 yard guy. Hurns has already proven he can be. 

The offense will go as Fournette goes. I hope Coughlin goes out and gets a TE for Bortles. 

Hate to see Arob go but it's pro football. Dime a dozen.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I still think they'll look to find a big-bodied guy with a wide catch radius that can beat the press to replace A-Rob at X.

Who they list as #1 on the depth chart may have little bearing on the way they use and target these receivers.

As far as filling Robinson's shoes, there are a few ways to go. There's Watkins or the next tier after him in free agency and then a handful of guys in the draft. The in-house option include bulking up Cole a bit and coaching him up to beat press coverage or re-signing Lee to hold it down until a rookie is ready to play the X spot.

What I don't think we'll see is Allen Hurns lining up wide left all year.

If they have Westbrook and Cole interchanging at the Z and Y spots they don't need a superstar at the X. Just a dependable possession receiver who can win some jump balls and back shoulder throws down the sideline. Not sure that Hurns is that guy skill-set-wise.

I figure Hurns is still in danger of being released if he doesn't renegotiate his deal by Friday afternoon.

Our number 1 guy this year will be Cole or Westbrook. My money is on Westbrook.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

Give Dallas a 4th round pick for Dez Bryant.

Still have the draft. And they clearly want another receiver. It was rumored we were also pursuing Sammy Watkins before the Chiefs overpaid for him. Since they signed Norwell it allows them to bump up the need for WR in the draft. Won't be surprised if they take Sutton, Chark or St. Brown late on day one next month to replace Robinson. All of those guys are tall and rangy.

I would also keep an eye on Ateman, Cobbs Jr. & Tate late on days two and three of the draft. A lot of value to be had at WR in the draft this year. It's actually a pretty good class.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(03-13-2018, 09:13 AM)BklynJag Wrote: Give Dallas a 4th round pick for Dez Bryant.

You have to be kidding me.  Dez Bryant is done.  What a waste of a 4th.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Hurns can go. He was a URFA to begin with. His play sparkled against a back-drop of 3-13 awful. 

Hurns has faded away and needs to be jolted into renewing his game.

He's very replaceable.

Reminds me of the 2005 Patriots when there was no true #1

David Givens 738 yds - 6' tall
Deion Branch 998 yards - 5"9" tall
Troy Brown 466 yards - 5'10" tall

Is Lee walking too?

(03-13-2018, 10:15 AM)Haterade Wrote: Is Lee walking too?

He’s set to be a free agent.  I wouldn’t be surprised if we offered him an appropriate deal though.  I have a feeling Lee wants to stay here if the team will have him.  I never got that feeling with ARob.

(This post was last modified: 03-13-2018, 10:46 AM by Firesky.)

(03-13-2018, 09:22 AM)JUNGLE CAT 2017 Wrote: Hurns can go. He was a URFA to begin with. His play sparkled against a back-drop of 3-13 awful. 

He's very replaceable.

I couldn't disagree with you more. The man was our best pass catcher as a rookie even when Lee & Robinson played (he earned the start opening day as a UDFA and caught 2 TD's on his first 2 nfl catches) He had 1000 yards & 10 TD's while playing through a sports hernia the whole year. Last year after getting his ankle messed up, crawled off the field as to not get a 10 second runoff in a 2 minute situation. You can't teach that kind of grit, you don't cut or renegotiate salarys of players like that unless it would free up the space to land a Drew Brees etc.

People like to think of the games where Cole, Westbrook and Mickens popped off (against Seattle without half of the LOB. Against Houston, the Niners & the Colts ... not exactly A-Tier Defenses/secondaries), but forget the games where they struggled (Arizona, and the last game against the Tacks) and we had no reliability in the passing game. Hurns can play all 3 positions X, Y & Z. Is tough as nails, willing to go over the middle, plays hurt, is a great locker room guy, and has existing chemistry with Bortles. He's the most veteran guy in the receivers room and is still young.

Also seeing the contract that Arob & Sammy Watkins got .... let alone the $8 million per year that Albert Wilson just got from leaving the Chiefs for Miami (this is a guy who's never topped 600 yards in a season mind you) the $7 million we'd be paying Hurns this year is a BARGAIN!!!!!! There's no reason to ask him to take a pay cut; if we cut him he'd leave in FA to another team and easily get a contract worth $10 million per, the way the market has unfolded so far.

I'm quite honestly amazed at this fanbase continually underrating Hurns and everything he's done in the league so far.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

My understanding is that this is a good draft for WRs and TEs. Is that correct?

(03-13-2018, 09:31 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Reminds me of the 2005 Patriots when there was no true #1

David Givens 738 yds - 6' tall
Deion Branch 998 yards - 5"9" tall
Troy Brown 466 yards - 5'10" tall

Sort of, yeah. 
The guy behind center makes the comparison a bit lopsided though.

(03-13-2018, 10:46 AM)JagFanFirst Wrote: My understanding is that this is a good draft for WRs and TEs. Is that correct?

Seems to be 5 or 6 TEs to choose from that should represent an upgrade to our roster. 

The receivers don't have a group of top tier studs like many draft classes - but there are again a half dozen or so that stand out if you are looking for a guy to fill A-Rob's former role. 

Caldwell's record with receivers leaves me worry free in that regard. Hopefully they hit on a TE too.

Keelan Cole > Westbrook.. just saying

I find the proposition of Hurns as the #1 dubious at best.

I still think Hurns is a good WR. Not a #1 but he's versatile and technically sound.

No problem with him coming back on a reduced wage. Hurns>Lee imo.

(03-13-2018, 11:11 AM)badger Wrote: Keelan Cole > Westbrook.. just saying

It's true. But we have only a rookie season to compare. Receivers don't always show you what they'll really be in their rookie campaign. 

I bet Westbrook takes a step forward this season from a consistency standpoint. Hopefully Cole does too. They both disappeared and/or blatantly struggled in a few games last season.

(03-13-2018, 11:22 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-13-2018, 11:11 AM)badger Wrote: Keelan Cole > Westbrook.. just saying

It's true. But we have only a rookie season to compare. Receivers don't always show you what they'll really be in their rookie campaign. 

I bet Westbrook takes a step forward this season from a consistency standpoint. Hopefully Cole does too. They both disappeared and/or blatantly struggled in a few games last season.

I’m curious to see Westbrook (both guys for that matter) after a year in a pro weight room.

(03-13-2018, 11:23 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(03-13-2018, 11:22 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: It's true. But we have only a rookie season to compare. Receivers don't always show you what they'll really be in their rookie campaign. 

I’m curious to see Westbrook (both guys for that matter) after a year in a pro weight room.

Yeah - I mentioned in one of these seventeen receiver threads, that if Cole can bulk up a bit and become more adept at beating press at the LOS -  he could be an option at A-Rob's old spot if they don't hit on a draft pick there. Or if the draft pick isn't quite ready. It's not ideal - but it could play out that way. 

Westbrook could become a more viable option in the slot IMO with some toughening up.

(This post was last modified: 03-13-2018, 01:54 PM by JUNGLE CAT 2017.)

(03-13-2018, 10:42 AM)Firesky Wrote:
(03-13-2018, 09:22 AM)JUNGLE CAT 2017 Wrote: Hurns can go. He was a URFA to begin with. His play sparkled against a back-drop of 3-13 awful. 

He's very replaceable.

I couldn't disagree with you more. The man was our best pass catcher as a rookie even when Lee & Robinson played (he earned the start opening day as a UDFA and caught 2 TD's on his first 2 nfl catches)  He had 1000 yards & 10 TD's while playing through a sports hernia the whole year. Last year after getting his ankle messed up, crawled off the field as to not get a 10 second runoff in a 2 minute situation. You can't teach that kind of grit, you don't cut or renegotiate salarys of players like that unless it would free up the space to land a Drew Brees etc.  

People like to think of the games where Cole, Westbrook and Mickens popped off (against Seattle without half of the LOB. Against Houston, the Niners & the Colts ... not exactly A-Tier Defenses/secondaries), but forget the games where they struggled (Arizona, and the last game against the Tacks) and we had no reliability in the passing game. Hurns can play all 3 positions X, Y & Z. Is tough as nails, willing to go over the middle, plays hurt, is a great locker room guy, and has existing chemistry with Bortles. He's the most veteran guy in the receivers room and is still young.

Also seeing the contract that Arob & Sammy Watkins got .... let alone the $8 million per year that Albert Wilson just got from leaving the Chiefs for Miami (this is a guy who's never topped 600 yards in a season mind you) the $7 million we'd be paying Hurns this year is a BARGAIN!!!!!! There's no reason to ask him to take a pay cut; if we cut him he'd leave in FA to another team and easily get a contract worth $10 million per, the way the market has unfolded so far.

I'm quite honestly amazed at this fanbase continually underrating Hurns and everything he's done in the league so far.
Hurns missed eleven games in the past two years, six last season - a year in which our number one WR was out the entire year for a ACL tear. 

Hurns hasn't even come close to living up to his $41 million dollar contract. Save $7 million. Jettison Hurns because playing NFL seasons with air at WR is cheaper.