Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Mason Rudolph

(04-05-2018, 03:46 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote:
(04-05-2018, 01:51 AM)Jags02 Wrote: You don't play Rudolph in the RPO. That's Lamar Jackson's territory. 

Exactly!! Which is why he isn't Marrone's "I would run it every down if I could" QB. He is in no a way fit here. Not by talent, by fit. Which is why I more so believe Jackson is the guy. Jackson in the RPO would be lethal. It isn't my system, I am just going by what the team is looking for.

Saying you want to run the ball every down, doesn't mean you want the QB to run the ball. His job is to hand the ball off. The reason Bortles ran more towards the end of the season, is because the coaching staff didn't trust him to throw the ball in key situations. If we trusted him to throw, he'd be sitting in the pocket, trying to find open receivers. The reason Marrone mentioned running the ball on every down, is because he doesn't have his ideal QB that he can trust to make big plays through the air in key situations. The RPO is not a scheme shift do to want, it's a scheme we utilize due to current necessity.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

[Image: 29790407_1711053562286193_30937889862592...e=5B2F65A1]
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(This post was last modified: 04-06-2018, 04:35 PM by OklahomaAviator.)

(04-05-2018, 01:48 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: Rudolph would be a statue in the RPO. The dude can barely move.

Wait.. what?

The Oklahoma State offense is predicated on the RPO.  Over three quarters of the playbook is variations of the RPO, with reads for the QB, RB and WR.  I think we are getting the RPO mixed up with the zone read offense.

Run-Pass Option Offense

At OSU, the spread offense created by HC Mike Gundy and OC Mike Yurcich is predicated on the ability of their offense to read defenses pre-snap.  In essence, the only play call coming in is a formation and primary play.  

QB- Once the players line up, the QB is accounting for the front seven, the shift of the secondary, and the position of the linebackers.  If the QB notices that they have favorable numbers upfront, he knows that the correct option here is a run play.  If he sees that he has favorable numbers in the defensive backfield, he will option to a pass play and watch the movements of the DBs post-snap.  If they favor the outside, he knows his receivers will cut across their face and he needs to put the ball towards the middle of the field.  If the DBs are playing inside coverage, he knows that needs to anticipate the out route or, if the safety is cheating a certain way, he knows his receiver will read that and run a go route and he needs to throw the ball deep.  This is obviously heavily simplified, but I just want to provide an overview of Rudolph's responsibilities in the RPO.

RB- In the OSU offense, the RB is also making pre-snap reads.  The RB is, just like the QB, accounting for the defensive front and reading whether or not they have favorable numbers.  If they do, he knows he's getting the ball.  He next looks at the position of the defensive line.  Are they playing outside the tackles?  Or are they cheating inside?  Now he looks at the LBs.  Are they cheating towards a side of the field or playing in a more neutral position?  Mind you, the OC can manipulate a lot of this to make these reads easier by placing the slot receiver or tight end (a Cowboy Back, as they are called in the OSU offense) on certain sides of the field.  Once the RB makes these reads, he knows where he should go with the ball, where he will an advantage of the defense.

WR- The WR reads are a little easier, unless the called play is a run play.  If a run play is called, they know that unless the QB reads differently, they will be blocking.  If the QB makes the read that they need to option out of the run play and pass the ball, now they start to make their reads.  Pre-snap, they are accounting for the position of the CB in front of them as well as the S over the top.  Is the CB cheating inside or outside?  Is he pressing or giving a cushion?  Is the S bracketing you over the top or is he cheating over (maybe single high coverage?)?  Once he makes these reads, he knows what he needs to do off the snap and immediately can rule out certain parts of the route tree.  Post-snap, it gets a little easier.  He's simply reading the hips of the DB and taking what the DB is giving him.  

OL- The OLine is making reads too, based on the position of the defensive line and whether or not the defense is showing a blitz.  When you watch OSU play, you often see Rudolph approach the line before the snap, confirming reads and where they will and will not have numbers should there be a blitz.  It's not uncommon for the QB to sit in on some of the OLine meetings in the days leading up to a game as the two positions are reading a lot of the same thing pre-snap.

Zone Read

In the zone read offense, the QB is the primary position making reads, and most of it occurs post-snap, though some does come before the snap.  Pre-snap, the QB is accounting for the position of the front seven of the defense and positioning the RB accordingly.  Post-snap, the QB is reading the route the DE (on the RB side) is taking as well as where the LB is.  If the DE stays wide to contain the QB, the read is to hand the ball off.  If the DE crashes inside to chase down the play, the read is the keep the ball and now looks to the LB.  If the LB is outside, he cuts upfield.  If the LB is staying inside, he bounces it outside the tackles.  This is just part of "trickery" of the Zone Read offense however, as the offense also uses the confusion that the "mesh point" (where the QB and RB both have 'possession' of the ball) creates to slow down the reaction of the defense in order to get the jump on them.  This offense is obviously more effective when your QB is highly mobile, although OSU did run Zone Read run plays with Rudolph, especially in the Red Zone (ninja edit: example being his 10 rushing TDs this past season and 6 TDs the year before).

Mason Rudolph, though he has many flaws in his game (as I've listed before), does very well and would feel very comfortable in a RPO-based offense.  The comparisons to Bortles are similar, and they could be somewhat similar QBs, but to really compare the two you have to look at where you're taking them.  Bortles was taken 3rd, and anymore these days when you take a QB with the 3rd pick, you are expecting them to come in, start right away, and captain the offense.  While Bortles has done much of that, there are some fair criticisms of his ability to beat teams consistently with his arm.  When you take a QB at the end of the 1st round or in the 2nd round, the expectations change and obviously the value changes as well.

Here are some examples that I found with a quick search showing the OSU RPO offense:

[Image: OSU_Pitt_1.png]

[Image: OSU_Pitt_2.png]

[Image: OSU_Pitt_3.png]

[Image: OSU_Pitt_4.png]

(04-05-2018, 01:48 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: Rudolph would be a statue in the RPO. The dude can barely move.

Lol

(This post was last modified: 04-07-2018, 08:18 AM by JagsFansince1995.)

(04-05-2018, 08:21 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(04-05-2018, 03:46 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: Exactly!! Which is why he isn't Marrone's "I would run it every down if I could" QB. He is in no a way fit here. Not by talent, by fit. Which is why I more so believe Jackson is the guy. Jackson in the RPO would be lethal. It isn't my system, I am just going by what the team is looking for.

Saying you want to run the ball every down, doesn't mean you want the QB to run the ball. His job is to hand the ball off. The reason Bortles ran more towards the end of the season, is because the coaching staff didn't trust him to throw the ball in key situations. If we trusted him to throw, he'd be sitting in the pocket, trying to find open receivers. The reason Marrone mentioned running the ball on every down, is because he doesn't have his ideal QB that he can trust to make big plays through the air in key situations. The RPO is not a scheme shift do to want, it's a scheme we utilize due to current necessity.

So you honestly believe that Bortles scrambling ability is because he aborts sitting in the pocket to find open receivers because coach said so.......He makes his share of mistakes when receivers are open and he chooses to run; but I highly doubt, Marrone told him to run instead of staying in the pocket to find open receivers on passing plays.  I just cant rn
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(04-07-2018, 08:18 AM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:
(04-05-2018, 08:21 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Saying you want to run the ball every down, doesn't mean you want the QB to run the ball. His job is to hand the ball off. The reason Bortles ran more towards the end of the season, is because the coaching staff didn't trust him to throw the ball in key situations. If we trusted him to throw, he'd be sitting in the pocket, trying to find open receivers. The reason Marrone mentioned running the ball on every down, is because he doesn't have his ideal QB that he can trust to make big plays through the air in key situations. The RPO is not a scheme shift do to want, it's a scheme we utilize due to current necessity.

So you honestly believe that Bortles scrambling ability is because he aborts sitting in the pocket to find open receivers because coach said so.......He makes his share of mistakes when receivers are open and he chooses to run; but I highly doubt, Marrone told him to run instead of staying in the pocket to find open receivers on passing plays.  I just cant rn

I think he has some natural running ability, but I think he is told to avoid long throws, because the coaching staff doesn't trust him. I believe they tell him, when in doubt, run and when you know you aren't trusted by the coaching staff to do certain things, you can lose confidence in yourself. This in turn, makes him run more. He never ran so much in the first couple of years in the NFL or in college, but the more criticism he got, the more he started to run.

(This post was last modified: 04-07-2018, 11:12 AM by Andy G.)

(04-07-2018, 08:43 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(04-07-2018, 08:18 AM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: So you honestly believe that Bortles scrambling ability is because he aborts sitting in the pocket to find open receivers because coach said so.......He makes his share of mistakes when receivers are open and he chooses to run; but I highly doubt, Marrone told him to run instead of staying in the pocket to find open receivers on passing plays.  I just cant rn

I think he has some natural running ability, but I think he is told to avoid long throws, because the coaching staff doesn't trust him. I believe they tell him, when in doubt, run and when you know you aren't trusted by the coaching staff to do certain things, you can lose confidence in yourself. This in turn, makes him run more. He never ran so much in the first couple of years in the NFL or in college, but the more criticism he got, the more he started to run.

I can understand why you might believe that.

But it’s not true.

In each of his four seasons with the Jaguars, Bortles has run roughly the same number of times.

(Pretty close to an average of 3.6 attempts per game every season)

2014 - 56 (in 14 games)
2015 - 52 in 16
2016 -58 in 16
2017 - 57 in 16

The average for 2017 goes up a bit in the playoffs - but that’s distorted massively by the ONE game against the Bills.

It’s true he’s throwing it less. And that’s almost certainly a game plan.

But he’s not choosing to run with the ball more.

(04-07-2018, 11:10 AM)Andy G Wrote:
(04-07-2018, 08:43 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I think he has some natural running ability, but I think he is told to avoid long throws, because the coaching staff doesn't trust him. I believe they tell him, when in doubt, run and when you know you aren't trusted by the coaching staff to do certain things, you can lose confidence in yourself. This in turn, makes him run more. He never ran so much in the first couple of years in the NFL or in college, but the more criticism he got, the more he started to run.

I can understand why you might believe that.

But it’s not true.

In each of his four seasons with the Jaguars, Bortles has run roughly the same number of times.

(Pretty close to an average of 3.6 attempts per game every season)

2014 - 56 (in 14 games)
2015 - 52 in 16
2016 -58 in 16
2017 - 57 in 16

The average for 2017 goes up a bit in the playoffs - but that’s distorted massively by the ONE game against the Bills.

It’s true he’s throwing it less. And that’s almost certainly a game plan.

But he’s not choosing to run with the ball more.

He ran the ball more in the playoffs, because the coaches didn't want to lose the game by letting him throw it in key situations and having him turn the ball over. We became a running team out of necessity, because we don't have a reliable QB, who we can trust to win the ball via passing. That is why Marrone made the remark that if it were up to him, we'd run the ball on every play. No coach wants to run the ball every play. They want to be unpredictable and surprise the defense, but if you don't trust your passer, you do what you gotta do to make it work.

(This post was last modified: 04-07-2018, 03:00 PM by Andy G.)

Not quite right.

In the playoffs he ran with the ball more than usual in just ONE game (the Bills game) when he attempted 10 runs.

He ran just seven times in the remaining two games - again, bang on his average.

I think it’s right to say he ran with the ball out of necessity in the Bills game.

But there is no wider trend of Bortles choosing to run with the ball more.

It was very clearly a one-off.

(Obviously, if you are saying that we run the ball as a team more, then that’s absolutely right. But I’m just saying there is no evidence that Bortles is carrying the ball himself more - outside that one game)

Has this been posted? 2:30 in. This guy is really starting to grow on me.

https://youtu.be/D2Hi8j0wm3w
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Really hope he makes it to our pick just so Dave and Tom have that option

(04-15-2018, 11:48 PM)Achilles Wrote: Has this been posted? 2:30 in. This guy is really starting to grow on me.

Put mein the draft Mason Rudolph camp after that video. That was pretty impressive.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(04-15-2018, 11:48 PM)Achilles Wrote: Has this been posted? 2:30 in. This guy is really starting to grow on me.

Ahhh....... Good. I love it when people start to see what I've loved about this guy all year. He's been and will continue to be, my #1 target in this draft. I truly believe this guy could bring a Superbowl to Jacksonville and turn our team into the next great football dynasty. It may take a season or two of learning to hit the stride, but once it happens, i believe we would a true force to be reckoned with, year after year after year. It would be a Jags' fan's dream.

(04-16-2018, 03:49 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

Ahhh....... Good. I love it when people start to see what I've loved about this guy all year. He's been and will continue to be, my #1 target in this draft. I truly believe this guy could bring a Superbowl to Jacksonville and turn our team into the next great football dynasty. It may take a season or two of learning to hit the stride, but once it happens, i believe we would a true force to be reckoned with, year after year after year. It would be a Jags' fan's dream.

To be fair, until this video came out, you wouldn't have any other way of predicting him being good on the white board with how quick he could remember the X's and Os and how sharp he came across. 

But good for you if you're right about the guy either way. 6'5 with strong numbers and on the surface what looks like a good mind for the game. 

The mental aspect of the position is very underrated.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

(04-16-2018, 06:17 AM)Achilles Wrote:
(04-16-2018, 03:49 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Ahhh....... Good. I love it when people start to see what I've loved about this guy all year. He's been and will continue to be, my #1 target in this draft. I truly believe this guy could bring a Superbowl to Jacksonville and turn our team into the next great football dynasty. It may take a season or two of learning to hit the stride, but once it happens, i believe we would a true force to be reckoned with, year after year after year. It would be a Jags' fan's dream.

To be fair, until this video came out, you wouldn't have any other way of predicting him being good on the white board with how quick he could remember the X's and Os and how sharp he came across. 

But good for you if you're right about the guy either way. 6'5 with strong numbers and on the surface what looks like a good mind for the game. 

The mental aspect of the position is very underrated.

To me, the mental aspect of the game is the single most important part of being a successful QB. You can get by on natural abilities for a little while, but if you don't grasp the mental nuances of the game and are able to understand the terminology and playbooks, you will eventually fail. Admittedly, I never saw Rudolph actually sit down and prove that he had a high football I.Q., but over the course of the past year and a half, I have read reports that he was a smart guy, who loved football and put in the work on and off the field to make himself a better player. I trusted what those reports said, but actually seeing the proof here, makes me even more confident that the kid is gonna be good pro QB and very coachable as well. I want this team to succeed so much and I believe we are really a QB away from being a football dynasty. Maybe it won't happen, but I'm praying we find a QB who can take us to the next level without having to have a near perfect defense.

You guys are aware that these are scripted right?

(04-16-2018, 07:34 AM)JackCity Wrote: You guys are aware that these are scripted right?

Rolleyes

(04-16-2018, 07:34 AM)JackCity Wrote: You guys are aware that these are scripted right?

Proof?

(This post was last modified: 04-16-2018, 08:47 AM by JackCity.)

(04-16-2018, 08:35 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

Proof?

Common sense. You think if they made lots of mistakes they'd still air it? Cmon.

I don't think these are proof of how well QBs process the game mentally at all. That goes for my guy Baker as well.