Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Shad Khan Buying Wembley Stadium

(This post was last modified: 04-26-2018, 10:41 AM by knarnn.)

(04-26-2018, 10:06 AM)newporttom Wrote:
(04-26-2018, 09:54 AM)knarnn Wrote: Khan is about to royally screw whoever the mayor of Jax is in 5 years. He’s going to ask for a new stadium and for the shipyards project to be paid entirely by the city and if they balk...it’s on to London. He has unprecedented leverage.

Nonsense.

It makes plenty of sense. Lamping has made it a point for 2 years in a row now at the SOF to mention the current stadium is lagging behind the rest of the league. They are fully aware of the leverage they now possess with this move.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-26-2018, 10:33 AM)Kane Wrote:
(04-26-2018, 10:06 AM)Bullseye Wrote: If Khan bought Wembley stadium to secure the London market for Jacksonville, how does that work if he isn't going to move the Jaguars there?

If it means that for any NFL game played in London he gets the proceeds, then why would any team agree to play in London if they would surrender their home team gates to a competitor?  If the teams that surrender their home game to London decided to play in Tottenham stadium instead, doesn't that defeat the purpose?

Is this a preemptive move in case another team kicks around the idea of moving to London?  Seems like the only team in dire need of a stadium at this stage is Buffalo.

Is he putting all of his sports investments into one big "pool," from which the Jaguars draw revenue?

Is this, as some have suggested, a type of leverage plan for a new stadium and Shipyards here?

Wembley doesn't have to have anything to do with the Jaguars really.
All sorts of events take place there which is revenue in Khans pocket.
As per other teams playing there, Khan would lease the stadium to the NFL (the home teams would still get their revenue, but instead of the NFL paying so and so to use that stadium, they'd be paying Khan)

It really boils down to the simplest of ideas. Khan invests to make money. He isn't moving the Jaguars. Wembley is just another opportunity for the man to make his pockets fatter.

You are wrong. This purchase is being made by Jaguars, LLC. (which is Khan), but the revenue (and expenditure) is all Jaguars. That's why he is saying this strengthens the Jags (in Jax)

Calm down, people.

How many NFL teams have moved without warning? Answer: zero. Even the Baltimore Colts - with the moving vans moving out to Indy in the middle of the night--had fought for years with the city to replace Memorial Stadium. Same with Kroenke and the Rams, and Spanos and the city of San Diego. In the latter case, Spanos had been pushing for a new stadium for over a decade, and the city wouldn't budge. There's nothing like that going on here in Jacksonville. The city has been responsive and given Khan everything he's asked for.

The Jaguars aren't losing money. They're about to sell out the stadium this year, with no tarps.

https://twitter.com/CurtisDvorak/status/989515157394132993

I agree with this guy  ^ 

I'm constantly amazed at people's general ability to become fearful of practically anything these days. Doom and gloom at every turn. 
The internet is a very unhappy place if you can't think for yourself, I guess. 

I think this has more to do with sport in the UK than any ambition to move the Jaguars.

It could be he’s interested in setting up another franchise over in London (although unlikely, with the Spurs owner first in the queue for that)

It could be he wants to control the international games played in London.

Maybe he wants a new stadium for Fulham (although they’ll struggle to find 90,000 fans to fill Wembley 20+ times a season)

But I think it has to be more than just a money-making venture. Wembley makes a lot of money, but it will take him some time to recoup $1bn.

(04-26-2018, 10:41 AM)knarnn Wrote:
(04-26-2018, 10:06 AM)newporttom Wrote: Nonsense.

It makes plenty of sense. Lamping has made it a point for 2 years in a row now at the SOF to mention the current stadium is lagging behind the rest of the league. They are fully aware of the leverage they now possess with this move.

I agree wholly with this. It's going to take more than finesse to pry the Cowford City Hall crowd out of their entrenched ways. Khan is bringing change to this city and this is just another lever to accomplish that feat.

not going to lie, this is a bit nerve racking... especially considering I have always felt this was Khan's future motivation..

it would figure that all the years of sucking we didnt leave, and now that we are really good and poised to be for a while, this happens

hopefully like others are saying, this has nothing to do with us moving... but if you are being objective about it and not biased or hopeful, it is troubling at least and unsettling

It's no secret that Shad Khan is going to move the Jaguars. 

All of Kahn's lies about playing in London in order to economically develop Jacksonville were pure lard. The London slate of games is doing NOTHING more than promoting the economic development of London as a sports mecca. Anybody who lived a day in London - the armpit of Europe - during the London games knows that England is a dirty sock standing in the corner. Khan is just as stinky as that rancid sour vinegar the British shake onto their seafood and eel pie.

You're a mean one, Mr. Khan. You're just as smelly as a putrid disgusting double-decker sauerkraut and toadstool sandwich.

(04-26-2018, 09:06 AM)UKJag Wrote: Chairmen can't own 2 football (soccer) clubs in the UK, so he would have to sell Fulham and Buy Tottenham. That has been rumoured though.
Insert Tony Khan... Not sure of the rules, but can his son own a club?

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

Apparently London's approval rating of the Jags new uniforms is 98% whereas the Jacksonville approval rating is only 54%

Khan is pissed.

(04-26-2018, 10:47 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: https://twitter.com/CurtisDvorak/status/989515157394132993

I agree with this guy  ^ 

I'm constantly amazed at people's general ability to become fearful of practically anything these days. Doom and gloom at every turn. 
The internet is a very unhappy place if you can't think for yourself, I guess. 

This thread was well underway before I saw it (I'm currently in a time zone 4 hours earlier than Jax) and the vision of someone walking into a room with the floor covered in squeaky toys came to mind. I realize this fan base has been like a beaten neglected dog for the past umpteen years, but we really need to recognize that Shad Khan is our friend. I know that sounds campy and perhaps a little naive, but I truly believe the man is trying to make an indelible positive mark in Jacksonville. I think he's earned the benefit of the doubt.

(04-26-2018, 09:22 AM)SamusAranX Wrote:
(04-26-2018, 09:16 AM)jvillejagsn1 Wrote: http://m.jaguars.com/s/30840/embeddedNew...b654a5e2e5 mobile tag

Great statement. 

Again actions speak louder than words. 

The fact that he’s planning more improvements to the city of Jax overall is showing he means it when he says the “long term future of the Jaguars in Jacksonville”. 

But I agree with FBT and Bullseye...announcement could have been timed better

I think the timing is what really bugs me because it takes all of the draft buzz out of the equation.  You can rest assured that when the Jaguars are discussed during broadcasts tonight, the big story won't be the draft pick.  It's unfortunate.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(04-26-2018, 10:53 AM)JUNGLE CAT 2017 Wrote: It's no secret that Shad Khan is going to move the Jaguars. 

All of Kahn's lies about playing in London in order to economically develop Jacksonville were pure lard. The London slate of games is doing NOTHING more than promoting the economic development of London as a sports mecca. Anybody who lived a day in London - the armpit of Europe - during the London games knows that England is a dirty sock standing in the corner. Khan is just as stinky as that rancid sour vinegar the British shake onto their seafood and eel pie.

You're a mean one, Mr. Khan. You're just as smelly as a putrid disgusting double-decker sauerkraut and toadstool sandwich.

Oh look, your reputation counter was at -29. I went ahead and made that a nice round -30 for ya. Wink

You're welcome!

(04-26-2018, 10:59 AM)FBT Wrote:
(04-26-2018, 09:22 AM)SamusAranX Wrote: Great statement. 

Again actions speak louder than words. 

The fact that he’s planning more improvements to the city of Jax overall is showing he means it when he says the “long term future of the Jaguars in Jacksonville”. 

But I agree with FBT and Bullseye...announcement could have been timed better

I think the timing is what really bugs me because it takes all of the draft buzz out of the equation.  You can rest assured that when the Jaguars are discussed during broadcasts tonight, the big story won't be the draft pick.  It's unfortunate.

The positive is that we are less likely to be interrupted by commercial!

The negative is that we're selecting so late they could be talking about it all night.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(04-26-2018, 10:43 AM)newporttom Wrote:
(04-26-2018, 10:33 AM)Kane Wrote: Wembley doesn't have to have anything to do with the Jaguars really.
All sorts of events take place there which is revenue in Khans pocket.
As per other teams playing there, Khan would lease the stadium to the NFL (the home teams would still get their revenue, but instead of the NFL paying so and so to use that stadium, they'd be paying Khan)

It really boils down to the simplest of ideas. Khan invests to make money. He isn't moving the Jaguars. Wembley is just another opportunity for the man to make his pockets fatter.

You are wrong.  This purchase is being made by Jaguars, LLC.  (which is Khan), but the revenue (and expenditure) is all Jaguars.  That's why he is saying this strengthens the Jags (in Jax)

I have yet to read that "Jaguars LLC" is making the 900k pound purchase... link?
Also... doesn't really make me wrong in my other points. Which is this has less to do with Jaguars football moving out of country and more to do with putting more money in Khans pocket. By any means necessary. If it improves Jags situation in Jville, awesome, if it doesn't it's still a revenue stream for Khan himself.

As a season ticket holder, I have to admit that this whole situation concerns me. I don't think the timing of this announcement could be any worse given the momentum the Jags have been building since the end of last season. No matter what happens with the draft this weekend, the topic of the Jags moving to London will be what people talk about for weeks to come.

I don't think Khan has any intention of moving the Jags at this point, but the possibility of multiple games being played in London will certainly increase....especially given how much revenue they make per game. It may not happen immediately, but I can see them scheduling back to back games in London in the near future. It just makes too much sense from a financial perspective.
Season Ticket Holder - Sec 437

(04-26-2018, 11:02 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(04-26-2018, 10:53 AM)JUNGLE CAT 2017 Wrote: It's no secret that Shad Khan is going to move the Jaguars. 

Oh look, your reputation counter was at -29. I went ahead and made that a nice round -30 for ya. Wink

You're welcome!

Some heroes don't wear capes.

Unless you do wear capes.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(This post was last modified: 04-26-2018, 11:07 AM by Andy G.)

(04-26-2018, 10:53 AM)JUNGLE CAT 2017 Wrote: It's no secret that Shad Khan is going to move the Jaguars. 

This is the funniest thing I’ve read on this forum for a while.

Was it meant to be a joke?

If Shad has a master plan, the NFL wants to expand the London games and Shad likes London. Shad should pitch the idea of playing all 8 AWAY games in London and all 8 HOME games in Jacksonville.....

Profit????

That may be the dumbest thing I have ever read on this forum.