Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Dante Fowler: Trade? Option? (meged threads)

Nortman
Parnell
Cambell
Gibson
Dareus
Church
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Next off season releasing Dareus + Parnell + Chruch will equal almost $24 million in cap savings with ZERO dead money. Honestly, with these players gone, we do not lose a lot and are still a playoff team.

I also believe Malik Jackson gets restructured next off-season saving more money toward the cap. If he declines, (hard to see this with how generous he has always been with charities and whatnot) we can approach Calais for a restructure. (Restructuring in a way where players still get their money, maybe bonuses instead of salary)

This is where you can find almost $30 million in cap space. We are going to be fine, cap wise.

(04-30-2018, 10:41 AM)Teal Curtain Wrote: Next off season releasing Dareus + Parnell + Chruch will equal almost $24 million in cap savings with ZERO dead money. Honestly, with these players gone, we do not lose a lot and are still a playoff team.

I also believe Malik Jackson gets restructured next off-season saving more money toward the cap. If he declines, (hard to see this with how generous he has always been with charities and whatnot) we can approach Calais for a restructure. (Restructuring in a way where players still get their money, maybe bonuses instead of salary)

This is where you can find almost $30 million in cap space. We are going to be fine, cap wise.

Dareus is the only one you're wrong about IMO, without him this team can't stop the run. They'll have to find a way to keep him or replace him with a player of equal talent, and Bryan isn't that guy. Bryan is here to replace either Calais or Malik depending on the circumstances come next offseason.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(04-30-2018, 10:58 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(04-30-2018, 10:41 AM)Teal Curtain Wrote: Next off season releasing Dareus + Parnell + Chruch will equal almost $24 million in cap savings with ZERO dead money. Honestly, with these players gone, we do not lose a lot and are still a playoff team.

Dareus is the only one you're wrong about IMO, without him this team can't stop the run. They'll have to find a way to keep him or replace him with a player of equal talent, and Bryan isn't that guy. Bryan is here to replace either Calais or Malik depending on the circumstances come next offseason.

Like others have stated...Dareus has to show he is more than just a run stopper to be worth the 11.58M cap hit in 2019.  We can find some NT that can stop the run for much cheaper or that could be a position we look at in the draft next year.

If releasing those three turns out to be the way they go, then yes, they'll need to add a run-stuffing NT type that can eat up some double-teams.

(04-30-2018, 11:49 AM)BlueEyedJag Wrote:
(04-30-2018, 10:58 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Dareus is the only one you're wrong about IMO, without him this team can't stop the run. They'll have to find a way to keep him or replace him with a player of equal talent, and Bryan isn't that guy. Bryan is here to replace either Calais or Malik depending on the circumstances come next offseason.

Like others have stated...Dareus has to show he is more than just a run stopper to be worth the 11.58M cap hit in 2019.  We can find some NT that can stop the run for much cheaper or that could be a position we look at in the draft next year.

Like Abry Jones? That didn't work. True run stuffers don't grow on trees.

(04-30-2018, 04:07 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(04-30-2018, 11:49 AM)BlueEyedJag Wrote: Like others have stated...Dareus has to show he is more than just a run stopper to be worth the 11.58M cap hit in 2019.  We can find some NT that can stop the run for much cheaper or that could be a position we look at in the draft next year.

Like Abry Jones? That didn't work. True run stuffers don't grow on trees.

C'mon now. Dude was undrafted and lucked out to win a rotational spot. 

Apples and oranges when talking about drafting a guy early.

Honestly they can still do it without a Dareus replacement. Of course they wouldn't be as good against the run but it can be negated... IF the offense improves and puts teams into pass mode to close out the 2nd and 4th quarters.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(This post was last modified: 04-30-2018, 07:22 PM by Upper.)

Does anyone think Dante's tweet about always betting on himself mean he was told they weren't picking up the 5th year option? I saw he tweeted it a few hours ago I'll paste it when I get home later if no one else has by then.

(04-30-2018, 07:21 PM)Upper Wrote: Does anyone think Dante's tweet about always betting on himself mean he was told they weren't picking up the 5th year option? I saw he tweeted it a few hours ago I'll paste it when I get home later if no one else has by then.

https://twitter.com/dantefowler/status/9...34882?s=19
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(This post was last modified: 04-30-2018, 08:14 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(04-30-2018, 07:21 PM)Upper Wrote: Does anyone think Dante's tweet about always betting on himself mean he was told they weren't picking up the 5th year option? I saw he tweeted it a few hours ago I'll paste it when I get home later if no one else has by then.

Who knows? I guess we'll find out in a few days, but that option is scary high. I'd hate to lose him, but that's a huge cap number. Maybe the tweet has nothing to do with it at all though. you never know. What is a "rap cap?"

Never mind. I found out what a "rap cap" was.....  Big Grin

[Image: rap-cap-10.jpg]

I like Dareus and his arrival improved the team. He's also a pretty good pass rusher, especially for a nose tackle, something he never seems to get credit for here (except from Bullseye). I hope we can afford to keep him.

But Jackson injured his groin in the tacks game, and that plus the next two games were the ones where the run defense failed. After Jackson recovered (three games before we traded for Dareus) the run defense recovered. The Jags won't be as good without Dareus, but it wouldn't be a looming disaster.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(This post was last modified: 05-01-2018, 08:32 AM by JagsFansince1995.)

(04-30-2018, 07:27 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote:

https://twitter.com/dantefowler/status/9...34882?s=19

Thats what i thought when i saw it.  i believe dante is worth resigning but with these "replacements" lying around the league and in college, we'll be fine if he goes.  At least thats what i hear.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(02-02-2018, 02:04 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(02-02-2018, 01:37 PM)TJBender Wrote: Why do we, the fans, obsessively want to trade guys as soon as they're good?

Keep Fowler around as long as we can. If we let him walk after next season, he's the same late third-round pick that he would be if traded this year.

To be clear, Mike Kaye, who is media, kicked this idea around.

I argued against this.

One way to look at it is "Would you rather have a young Dante Fowler or an older Malik Jackson"?
We drafted Bryan this year and next year is setting up to be a huge year for D Line in the Draft.
So we take another DT in the Draft and release both Jackson and Dareus.
This allows us to resign Fowler and gives us $$ to put towards the other young guys.

I don't see any way Fowler is traded anyway...he's to important to the success in 2018.
So either we let him walk for nothing or go the route above......IMO of course.

I'm surprised the decision is being pushed this close to the deadline. If you would have asked me a month ago I would have thought it was more of a lock to pick up Fowler's 5th year option than Bortles' last year.

(05-02-2018, 01:25 PM)Upper Wrote: I'm surprised the decision is being pushed this close to the deadline. If you would have asked me a month ago I would have thought it was more of a lock to pick up Fowler's 5th year option than Bortles' last year.

I'm guessing they are going to decline it with it being this close to the deadline.

(05-02-2018, 01:47 PM)Markulous Wrote:
(05-02-2018, 01:25 PM)Upper Wrote: I'm surprised the decision is being pushed this close to the deadline. If you would have asked me a month ago I would have thought it was more of a lock to pick up Fowler's 5th year option than Bortles' last year.

I'm guessing they are going to decline it with it being this close to the deadline.

Are we allowed to extend him yet? Or do we have to wait until after year 4?

If we can, they might be doing a cheaper, longer deal. But I'm not sure if we can yet.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

The risk involved with giving Fowler the option is way too much. Even if you think you can eventually get a deal worked out.

(05-02-2018, 02:06 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(05-02-2018, 01:47 PM)Markulous Wrote: I'm guessing they are going to decline it with it being this close to the deadline.

Are we allowed to extend him yet? Or do we have to wait until after year 4?

If we can, they might be doing a cheaper, longer deal. But I'm not sure if we can yet.

Pretty sure once the 2019 season starts, they can start signing new contracts.

(This post was last modified: 05-02-2018, 02:21 PM by brianmsbc.)

We can still see whats out there in Free Agency next offseason if we want to find a cheaper Run Stuffer. I have a feeling our goal will be to head into the draft without any pressing needs each year. We could also find a way to trade for one. Dareus isn't the only option for stopping the run... and I agree that if that is his only job we should be able to fill that role at a cheaper cost.