Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Shad Khan Buying Wembley Stadium

Sad 

(05-01-2018, 08:00 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(05-01-2018, 04:01 AM)wrong_box Wrote: AT&T Stadium, formerly Cowboys Stadium, is a retractable roof stadium in Arlington, Texas, United States. It serves as the home of the Dallas Cowboys of the National Football League (NFL) and was completed on May 27, 2009. It is also the home of the Cotton Bowl Classic. The facility, owned by the city of Arlington, can also be used for a variety of other activities such as concerts, basketball games, college and high school football contests, soccer matches, rodeos and motocross and Spartan races. It replaced the partially covered Texas Stadium, which served as the Cowboys' home from 1971 through the 2008 season.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AT%26T_Stadium

[font=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif]Bank of America stadium is owned by Carolinas Stadium which in fact is a a private company https://www.bloomberg.com/profiles/compa...adium-corp 
Ownership
(Management)

Carolinas Stadium Corp
(Carolinas Stadium Corp
[/font]

So I was half right.  Just about average for me.  My day is done!   Banana Big Grin Laughing
That's somewhere around 50% for me, I gotta step up some!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-01-2018, 08:00 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(05-01-2018, 04:01 AM)wrong_box Wrote: AT&T Stadium, formerly Cowboys Stadium, is a retractable roof stadium in Arlington, Texas, United States. It serves as the home of the Dallas Cowboys of the National Football League (NFL) and was completed on May 27, 2009. It is also the home of the Cotton Bowl Classic. The facility, owned by the city of Arlington, can also be used for a variety of other activities such as concerts, basketball games, college and high school football contests, soccer matches, rodeos and motocross and Spartan races. It replaced the partially covered Texas Stadium, which served as the Cowboys' home from 1971 through the 2008 season.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AT%26T_Stadium

[font=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif]Bank of America stadium is owned by Carolinas Stadium which in fact is a a private company https://www.bloomberg.com/profiles/compa...adium-corp 
Ownership
(Management)

Carolinas Stadium Corp
(Carolinas Stadium Corp
[/font]

So I was half right.  Just about average for me.  My day is done!   Banana Big Grin Laughing

I'm pretty sure that Dolphins Stadium and Patriots stadium are both owned by the respective NFL teams.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

Khan wants a Super Bowl in Wembley:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...y-stadium/
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(05-01-2018, 02:27 PM)knarnn Wrote: Khan wants a Super Bowl in Wembley:

No way that ever happens. The time difference is just too great.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

THAT would be cool!
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

(This post was last modified: 05-01-2018, 06:37 PM by Nashville.Dave.)

(05-01-2018, 02:29 PM)Dimson Wrote:

No way that ever happens. The time difference is just too great.

Speaking of the time difference, why on earth do they play the london games to where they are on at 9:30 in the freaking morning here? The time diff is 5 hrs. Why cant they play em at 6pm there? Is it to create another time slot? Yeah i guess it is. Greedy [BLEEP] nfl

(05-01-2018, 02:35 PM)I am Yoda Wrote:

THAT would be cool!

No, it really wouldn't. Maybe for the UK fans, but it'd be terrible for us in the US who are on the west coast.

It's already bad enough that we have to get up at 6:30am to watch a football game that's in London, but having the Super Bowl start at like 9-10am (if not earlier) would be god awful.

(05-01-2018, 05:42 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: You know, for some reason, I'm just not interested in arguing about whether I'm going to lose my team.

It's sort of like arguing over whether my wife is too pretty for me and whether therefore she will eventually leave me for someone better looking.

Very astute. Head in the sand is the place to be. You'll be the last to know but think of all those years of blissful ignorance.

As long as Jacksonville fills the seats all the time from here on out. Not just when the team is winning there will be no problems. If the team stays competitive and the tickets don't sell then there will be a problem.

If you were Mr. Khan, how many times would you accept hearing about the fears of relocation from this fan base when all you have done is show commitment and stood by every single word you have stated?

You know? The wife keeps accusing you of straying then eventually........
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(05-02-2018, 10:02 AM)Byron LeftTown Wrote:
(05-01-2018, 05:42 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: You know, for some reason, I'm just not interested in arguing about whether I'm going to lose my team.  

It's sort of like arguing over whether my wife is too pretty for me and whether therefore she will eventually leave me for someone better looking.

Very astute.  Head in the sand is the place to be.  You'll be the last to know but think of all those years of blissful ignorance.

HerpDerpFearParanoiaHerpDerp

The fear brigade tried to convince me that the Jags would be gone by 2016 when Khan bought the team. 
But I could swear I just watched a home playoff game at a wonderfully updated stadium in downtown Jacksonville in January of 2018.  

I didn't buy that load of crap then.  I'm not buying it now. 

Quote:Khan rightfully took umbrage with USA Today’s definitive stance that he is going to move the Jaguars to London.
“Every time there’s a transaction that has visibility, you folks start connecting dots that shouldn’t be connected,” Khan told the media. “Six years of actions here (since he bought the Jaguars) should be speaking volumes more than some (USA Today) blog.”
He’s right. Khan has done everything in his power to invest in the Jaguars and rescue the franchise from its decade-plus malaise. USA Today and others often refer to the Jaguars “attendance woes” when really that is a false narrative. While it’s true Jacksonville is one of the smallest markets in the league, do you realize the Jaguars averaged more fans last season than the Steelers … and the Bucs … and the Bears … and both new teams in L.A.?
Why doesn’t anybody ever talk about the Bucs moving to England? After all, their owners — the Glazers — own the iconic Manchester United soccer team.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/op...story.html

(05-02-2018, 11:59 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [quote pid='1125615' dateline='1525269727']
Khan rightfully took umbrage with USA Today’s definitive stance that he is going to move the Jaguars to London.
“Every time there’s a transaction that has visibility, you folks start connecting dots that shouldn’t be connected,” Khan told the media. “Six years of actions here (since he bought the Jaguars) should be speaking volumes more than some (USA Today) blog.”
He’s right. Khan has done everything in his power to invest in the Jaguars and rescue the franchise from its decade-plus malaise. USA Today and others often refer to the Jaguars “attendance woes” when really that is a false narrative. While it’s true Jacksonville is one of the smallest markets in the league, do you realize the Jaguars averaged more fans last season than the Steelers … and the Bucs … and the Bears … and both new teams in L.A.?
Why doesn’t anybody ever talk about the Bucs moving to England? After all, their owners — the Glazers — own the iconic Manchester United soccer team.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/op...story.html
[/quote]

BOOM!!!
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(This post was last modified: 05-02-2018, 12:23 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(05-02-2018, 10:13 AM)Jagwired Wrote: As long as Jacksonville fills the seats all the time from here on out. Not just when the team is winning there will be no problems.  If the team stays competitive and the tickets don't sell then there will be a problem.

If you were Mr. Khan, how many times would you accept hearing about the fears of relocation from this fan base when all you have done is show commitment and stood by every single word you have stated?

Logically, you are correct from a fans standpoint.  However, most teams move as a result of Stadium Deals, not fan attendance.   Also, the franchise valuation would most likely double if the Jags were to move to London so Shad could make ~ $1 billion just on immediate equity if approved.  I'm not saying that we're moving but there are a lot of financial factors that support such a move.

Regarding your attendance comparison to the Steelers, Bears, and Bucs, the Steelers and Bears have seat licensing fees and charge a lot more for their tickets so even though we may have more attendance, the Jags bring in less revenues per home game (excluding London).  The 2016 Revenue per Team is shown in the link below.  I don't know if 2017 has been released.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1935...s-in-2010/

(05-02-2018, 12:15 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(05-02-2018, 10:13 AM)Jagwired Wrote: As long as Jacksonville fills the seats all the time from here on out. Not just when the team is winning there will be no problems.  If the team stays competitive and the tickets don't sell then there will be a problem.

Logically, you are correct from a fans standpoint.  However, most teams move as a result of Stadium Deals, not fan attendance.   Also, the franchise valuation would most likely double if the Jags were to move to London so Shad could make ~ $1 billion just on immediate equity if approved.  I'm not saying that we're moving but there are a lot of financial factors that support such a move.

Regarding your attendance comparison to the Steelers, Bears, and Bucs, the Steelers and Bears have seat licensing fees and charge a lot more for their tickets so even though we may have more attendance, the Jags bring in less revenues per home game (excluding London).  The 2016 Revenue per Team is shown in the link below.  I don't know if 2017 has been released.

That's a huge assumption that the teams valuation would double with a London move. There are a ton of factors that financially don't support that idea or the move. The biggest risk is whether the market is viable. Part of your assumption is that that market will support the Jags equal or greater than current market. The long term answer is no it won't. Also in your revenue comparison there needs to be an understanding that less than 17% of revenue (from your own link) is derived from ticketing. Who is going to make up the rest? Certainly not the current fan base you just shunned. Now you will need to rely on the fan base in London to make that up. Take a look at the link and you'll get a snapshot as to why assuming the UK fan will pick up the Jags slack is dangerous.

http://www.nflgirluk.com/2016/01/24/nfl-...ts-are-in/
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(05-02-2018, 12:39 PM)B2hibry Wrote:
(05-02-2018, 12:15 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Logically, you are correct from a fans standpoint.  However, most teams move as a result of Stadium Deals, not fan attendance.   Also, the franchise valuation would most likely double if the Jags were to move to London so Shad could make ~ $1 billion just on immediate equity if approved.  I'm not saying that we're moving but there are a lot of financial factors that support such a move.

That's a huge assumption that the teams valuation would double with a London move. There are a ton of factors that financially don't support that idea or the move. The biggest risk is whether the market is viable. Part of your assumption is that that market will support the Jags equal or greater than current market. The long term answer is no it won't. Also in your revenue comparison there needs to be an understanding that less than 17% of revenue (from your own link) is derived from ticketing. Who is going to make up the rest? Certainly not the current fan base you just shunned. Now you will need to rely on the fan base in London to make that up. Take a look at the link and you'll get a snapshot as to why assuming the UK fan will pick up the Jags slack is dangerous.

London's population is 9 million
England's population is 53 million
UKs population is 65 million

IMO Khan would have no issues capturing the UK's population by marketing the team as Home of the UK Jags.  Right now, the Jags are comparable to a Premier League team (Southampton) playing here in Jacksonville for a single match.  The interest wouldn't be 100% but I guarentee you if Southampton moved their team to Jacksonville, you'd capture the entire state of Florida as your fanbase as fans would flock to see them play the top English Soccer teams on a weekly basis here in Jacksonville.

I'm quite sure that in 2093 when SK's great grandson's widow moves the team to the London-Western European megaplex and plays in the World Bowl against the Kuala Lumpur Steelers, there will be people on whatever passes for fan forums in those days going "See! I called it back in 2018." But by then MLS and full contact cross country skiing will probably be the most popular sports in the US anyway and in the meantime maybe we should just continue to enjoy the Jags while they're here. Tongue
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Also, I think it should be noted that if the other NFL owners would never let a team move to London without them getting their share of the action through relocation fees, which can be very high. So even if the value of the Jags franchise increased by a billion dollars by moving to London, the other owners would demand a relocation fee that took most of that money. So it is not true that Khan would make a billion dollars on moving the team to London.

Really, life is too short to worry about whether the Jags are going to move. We need to enjoy our lives while we have them, not waste our lives in worrying about things that we have no control over.

(05-02-2018, 12:47 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(05-02-2018, 12:39 PM)B2hibry Wrote: That's a huge assumption that the teams valuation would double with a London move. There are a ton of factors that financially don't support that idea or the move. The biggest risk is whether the market is viable. Part of your assumption is that that market will support the Jags equal or greater than current market. The long term answer is no it won't. Also in your revenue comparison there needs to be an understanding that less than 17% of revenue (from your own link) is derived from ticketing. Who is going to make up the rest? Certainly not the current fan base you just shunned. Now you will need to rely on the fan base in London to make that up. Take a look at the link and you'll get a snapshot as to why assuming the UK fan will pick up the Jags slack is dangerous.

IMO Khan would have no issues capturing the UK's population by marketing the team as Home of the UK Jags.  Right now, the Jags are comparable to a Premier League team (Southampton) playing here in Jacksonville for a single match.  The interest wouldn't be 100% but I guarentee you if Southampton moved their team to Jacksonville, you'd capture the entire state of Florida as your fanbase as fans would flock to see them play the top English Soccer teams on a weekly basis here in Jacksonville.

I’m not convinced by the “build it and they will come” argument.

There’s interest in the current games because they’re a novelty and because they bring across a range of different teams every year. And they sell very well because of that. But the sport is still a minority one in this country, with amateur leagues and relatively little media exposure. The NFL has sometimes claimed there are 13 million NFL fans in the UK, which is laughable - there is no way that one in five people over here watches the NFL. The Super Bowl is watched by around one tenth of that number and regular season games are seen by just a few tens of thousands. (Although that’s partly because of the time they are on the telly)

And despite what you were told at the State of the Franchise event, there aren’t 86,000 Jaguars fans here, ready to pack out Wembley. I’d be surprised if there were a quarter of that number at Jaguars games at Wembley - the vast majority at all the London games are neutral fans, who just want to watch some NFL. The “86,000 Jaguars Uk members” figure probably includes anyone who says “yes I would like more information about the Jaguars” in surveys, possibly with the chance of winning a prize. I’ve signed up at least three times myself for this reason.

Maybe that doesn’t matter if you just want to stage eight games a year over here. There might just be enough interest from all NFL fans to sell out those games. (Just as neutral soccer fans might flock to see EPL games in your Southampton analogy) But even the best supported teams over here wouldn’t sell enough tickets to become the “home” team, with the majority of fans on game day. And you’ll really struggle to find enough fans to support a new franchise or one of the less well supported ones (like the Jaguars).

And then there’s Tottenham’s stadium. It’s also being touted as a venue for a possible franchise. It’s slightly smaller than Wembley, so might be easier to fill and it’s been designed with NFL games in mind. If it succeeds in attracting more games (it is starting with one this year) there certainly won’t be room for two franchises in the UK.

Maybe I’m wrong and fans will come out of the woodwork to support “their” team, but I just don’t see it at the moment.

(This post was last modified: 05-03-2018, 06:23 AM by JackCity.)

(05-02-2018, 12:47 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(05-02-2018, 12:39 PM)B2hibry Wrote: That's a huge assumption that the teams valuation would double with a London move. There are a ton of factors that financially don't support that idea or the move. The biggest risk is whether the market is viable. Part of your assumption is that that market will support the Jags equal or greater than current market. The long term answer is no it won't. Also in your revenue comparison there needs to be an understanding that less than 17% of revenue (from your own link) is derived from ticketing. Who is going to make up the rest? Certainly not the current fan base you just shunned. Now you will need to rely on the fan base in London to make that up. Take a look at the link and you'll get a snapshot as to why assuming the UK fan will pick up the Jags slack is dangerous.

The portion of that population that actually follows the NFL seriously enough to be used as a home fanbase is tiny. And the vast majority of those people already have teams they support.  Would a portion move to a London Jaguars team? Sure, but it's still a tiny amount of people.  

If the Jaguars ever fully moved to London they would be a novelty item for the first 20 years. Even then American football is so outside of English culture that I can't see it ever becoming that big. 

Soccer became big in America becuase theres so much grass roots movement and it's very easy to pick up and play. That wouldn't be the case in the UK at all.

(05-03-2018, 06:22 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(05-02-2018, 12:47 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: London's population is 9 million

The portion of that population that actually follows the NFL seriously enough to be used as a home fanbase is tiny. And the vast majority of those people already have teams they support.  Would a portion move to a London Jaguars team? Sure, but it's still a tiny amount of people.  

If the Jaguars ever fully moved to London they would be a novelty item for the first 20 years. Even then American football is so outside of English culture that I can't see it ever becoming that big. 

Soccer became big in America becuase theres so much grass roots movement and it's very easy to pick up and play. That wouldn't be the case in the UK at all.

And Shad Khan isn’t stupid - he must know this too.

(05-03-2018, 05:41 AM)Andy G Wrote:
(05-02-2018, 12:47 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: London's population is 9 million

I’m not convinced by the “build it and they will come” argument.

There’s interest in the current games because they’re a novelty and because they bring across a range of different teams every year. And they sell very well because of that.  But the sport is still a minority one in this country, with amateur leagues and relatively little media exposure. The NFL has sometimes claimed there are 13 million NFL fans in the UK, which is laughable - there is no way that one in five people over here watches the NFL. The Super Bowl is watched by around one tenth of that number and regular season games are seen by just a few tens of thousands. (Although that’s partly because of the time they are on the telly)

And despite what you were told at the State of the Franchise event, there aren’t 86,000 Jaguars fans here, ready to pack out Wembley. I’d be surprised if there were a quarter of that number at Jaguars games at Wembley - the vast majority at all the London games are neutral fans, who just want to watch some NFL. The “86,000 Jaguars Uk members” figure probably includes anyone who says “yes I would like more information about the Jaguars” in surveys, possibly with the chance of winning a prize. I’ve signed up at least three times myself for this reason.

Maybe that doesn’t matter if you just want to stage eight games a year over here. There might just be enough interest from all NFL fans to sell out those games. (Just as neutral soccer fans might flock to see EPL games in your Southampton analogy) But even the best supported teams over here wouldn’t sell enough tickets to become the “home” team, with the majority of fans on game day. And you’ll really struggle to find enough fans to support a new franchise or one of the less well supported ones (like the Jaguars).

And then there’s Tottenham’s stadium. It’s also being touted as a venue for a possible franchise. It’s slightly smaller than Wembley, so might be easier to fill and it’s been designed with NFL games in mind. If it succeeds in attracting more games (it is starting with one this year) there certainly won’t be room for two franchises in the UK.

Maybe I’m wrong and fans will come out of the woodwork to support “their” team, but I just don’t see it at the moment.

Thank you for your insight because I learn a ot more about their NFL fandom from reading your post.
[Image: giphy.gif]