Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Most Underrated/Overrated Video Games

(03-25-2018, 07:54 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(03-25-2018, 07:11 AM)Achilles Wrote: If you guys are RPG fans then you are definitely going to want to check out Shadow Hearts, similar concept to Chrono or final fantasy. Completely overrated and overlooked in my opinion...

https://www.amazon.com/Shadow-Hearts-Pla...B00005T7ZN

if we're talking overlooked RPGs, then Lost Odyssey on 360 and the vastly underrated Super Mario RPG

One fer Super Mario: RPG

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

The last guardian was just the perfect game for me.

Overrated: Skyrim, Oblivion, Fallout 3, Final Fantasy 7, Mass Effect, Bioshock, Kingdom Hearts, Madden Series (05-current year)

Underrated: Mount & Blade: Warband(PC), Jedi Knight: Jedi Outcast, Age of Decadence, Star Wars Galaxies (PRE-UPDATE), Ultima Online, Supreme Commander

(04-09-2018, 12:55 PM)Inziladun Wrote: Overrated:  Oblivion... Madden Series (05-current year)
That is a sizable portion of my Sony era video game experience, dude.   Laughing

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(04-09-2018, 12:55 PM)Inziladun Wrote: Overrated: Skyrim, Oblivion, Fallout 3, Final Fantasy 7, Mass Effect,  Bioshock, Kingdom Hearts, Madden Series (05-current year)

Underrated: Mount & Blade: Warband(PC), Jedi Knight: Jedi Outcast, Age of Decadence, Star Wars Galaxies (PRE-UPDATE), Ultima Online, Supreme Commander

Good God I disagree with pretty much your entire Overrated list
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(This post was last modified: 04-11-2018, 11:23 AM by Inziladun.)

(04-10-2018, 07:05 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(04-09-2018, 12:55 PM)Inziladun Wrote: Overrated: Skyrim, Oblivion, Fallout 3, Final Fantasy 7, Mass Effect,  Bioshock, Kingdom Hearts, Madden Series (05-current year)

Good God I disagree with pretty much your entire Overrated list

Because ya'll a bunch of normies. Cool

I could go into more detail as to why these titles are overrated but I doubt anyone would be interested. Just know I spent a lot of time playing all of the games on the overrated list, and it's less of me throwing shade about the quality of the game(except Oblivion, Oblivion is literally broken still to this day) and more me throwing shade at their reception in the gaming community. I've heard people call all those games "best games eva" with the exception of Madden and it just makes me roll my eyes.

(04-11-2018, 11:15 AM)Inziladun Wrote:
(04-10-2018, 07:05 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: Good God I disagree with pretty much your entire Overrated list

Because ya'll a bunch of normies. Cool

I could go into more detail as to why these titles are overrated but I doubt anyone would be interested. Just know I spent a lot of time playing all of the games on the overrated list, and it's less of me throwing shade about the quality of the game(except Oblivion, Oblivion is literally broken still to this day) and more me throwing shade at their reception in the gaming community. I've heard people call all those games "best games eva" with the exception of Madden and it just makes me roll my eyes.

I had no problems with any glitches in Oblivion.

Some of the quests/side quests pissed me off...but "broken?"

What platform?  What did it do?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(04-12-2018, 11:54 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-11-2018, 11:15 AM)Inziladun Wrote: Because ya'll a bunch of normies. Cool

I had no problems with any glitches in Oblivion.

I played it on PC but I'm not talking about the glitches although there's an argument to be made about the NPC schedules and pathfinding being broken, I personally believe they were pretty decent for the time. But between every Character looking like they have down syndrome and the fact that level scaling is so broken that your "Primary Attributes" need to be skills that you don't use to control your leveling or else the game spirals into an out of control level scaling fest. The game, may be playable, but is broken on a conceptual level. It literally doesn't work as intended.

There's a point in the game where you stop progressing after you hit a gear wall and the enemies keep getting stronger and every enemy is basically a giant bullet sponge wearing the best armor in the game with HP pools comparable to a raid mob in WoW. This is prevalent in Skyrim too but the leveling system isn't broken in Skyrim where it is in Oblivion and the gear scaling is much more controlled. Having grown up on Daggerfall and Morrowind there's a particular distaste in my heart for Oblivion as that marked the first game in the series after Todd Howard kicked out the other talented developers in the company that actually crafted the lore and ran away with the rights into the sunset and it fell flat on so many levels.

In a lot of ways Oblivion is comparable to Final Fantasy 8. Don't know if you've ever played it, but that is another great example of a game that's literally broken. It's easier to beat FF8 as level 1 than it is as a max level 99. Oblivion is the same.

(04-12-2018, 01:56 PM)Inziladun Wrote:
(04-12-2018, 11:54 AM)Bullseye Wrote: I had no problems with any glitches in Oblivion.

I played it on PC but I'm not talking about the glitches although there's an argument to be made about the NPC schedules and pathfinding being broken, I personally believe they were pretty decent for the time. But between every Character looking like they have down syndrome and the fact that level scaling is so broken that your "Primary Attributes" need to be skills that you don't use to control your leveling or else the game spirals into an out of control level scaling fest. The game, may be playable, but is broken on a conceptual level. It literally doesn't work as intended.

There's a point in the game where you stop progressing after you hit a gear wall and the enemies keep getting stronger and every enemy is basically a giant bullet sponge wearing the best armor in the game with HP pools comparable to a raid mob in WoW. This is prevalent in Skyrim too but the leveling system isn't broken in Skyrim where it is in Oblivion and the gear scaling is much more controlled. Having grown up on Daggerfall and Morrowind there's a particular distaste in my heart for Oblivion as that marked the first game in the series after Todd Howard kicked out the other talented developers in the company that actually crafted the lore and ran away with the rights into the sunset and it fell flat on so many levels.

In a lot of ways Oblivion is comparable to Final Fantasy 8. Don't know if you've ever played it, but that is another great example of a game that's literally broken. It's easier to beat FF8 as level 1 than it is as a max level 99. Oblivion is the same.

I'm not sure if that's "broken" An odd design sure, but not broken. The Last Remnant literally stopped you from being able to beat it if you tried to level normally
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(03-25-2018, 07:11 AM)Achilles Wrote: If you guys are RPG fans then you are definitely going to want to check out Shadow Hearts, similar concept to Chrono or final fantasy. Completely overrated and overlooked in my opinion...

https://www.amazon.com/Shadow-Hearts-Pla...B00005T7ZN

Shadow Hearts was pretty good.  I thought the second one was better, though I had a hard time getting into the third.  Same with Koudelka.

Persona is another series that isn't quite underappreciated as much as it is... lesser known.  Most people who play the games admit they're awesome (Even Yahtzee who usually hates JRPGS liked Persona 5) though.  The whole SMT series is actually worth checking out.  Nocturne wasn't my cup of tea, but Digital Devil Saga was great.

Underrated: The Long Dark

Overrated: Fortnite and PUBG
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Overrated: Destiny
Underrated: Fortnite

(05-04-2018, 05:38 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: Overrated: Destiny

How in the world is Fortnite UNDERrated? It's like the only thing people talk about and a huge meme generator these days.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(05-05-2018, 10:21 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote:

How in the world is Fortnite UNDERrated? It's like the only thing people talk about and a huge meme generator these days.

Because knarn said it was overrated. Even if one person thinks that game is overrated then it immediately becomes underrated.

Not sure if it is overrated or underrated but imo the best game of all time is Last of Us Remastered. Just so good all around. Great story, fun gameplay. All around great experience.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(05-08-2018, 03:26 PM)Dimson Wrote: Not sure if it is overrated or underrated but imo the best game of all time is Last of Us Remastered. Just so good all around. Great story, fun gameplay. All around great experience.

Last of Us was a good game, I dug it quite a bit.

(05-08-2018, 03:26 PM)Dimson Wrote: Not sure if it is overrated or underrated but imo the best game of all time is Last of Us Remastered. Just so good all around. Great story, fun gameplay. All around great experience.

While I legitimately loved that game. I cant rank it as my "best of all time" though it is up there. I'd put Uncharted 4 above it, and probably Witcher 3 as well.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(05-25-2018, 07:55 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote:

While I legitimately loved that game. I cant rank it as my "best of all time" though it is up there. I'd put Uncharted 4 above it, and probably Witcher 3 as well.
I am most of the way through uncharted 4 and yet to have played Witcher 3. But I am going to get to it eventually.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

LOL Fortnite is terrible. It's literally made for 12 year olds. 

But I can see how it appeals to today's generation, which is to have everything easy. Very little skill involved in that game. Play it for 5 hours and you'll be just as good as the other 95% who play it.

(05-26-2018, 02:49 AM)Eric1 Wrote:

LOL Fortnite is terrible. It's literally made for 12 year olds. 

But I can see how it appeals to today's generation, which is to have everything easy. Very little skill involved in that game. Play it for 5 hours and you'll be just as good as the other 95% who play it.

This is kinda how I feel about it.. but I dared to say that in front of a colleague of mine and never heard the end of it..
[Image: 5S5POfa.jpg]

80% of what I talk about is nonesense.. the other 25% is made up statistics...