Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Better without Fournette?

(09-17-2018, 08:39 AM)rocdee Wrote: without fournette.

starting to become the elephant in the room.

we play better without him.

I'm afraid we should have selected someone else at 4 in 2017.

It seems like the play calling is different with him in, not sure if stats back it up but it seems like a higher concentration of pure power plays up the middle. They should use the same strategy they use when Grant's in the game. Fournette is a powerful runner but his real strength is speed.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

So this thread is already made like 4 spots below this one.

But no, we are not better without him, we call a more balanced game without him. Call the same exact game we did today but have Fournette in there? Dominant.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(09-17-2018, 08:43 AM)brianmsbc Wrote:
(09-17-2018, 08:39 AM)rocdee Wrote: without fournette.

starting to become the elephant in the room.

we play better without him.

I'm afraid we should have selected someone else at 4 in 2017.

like who?
Jamaal Adams or Mahomes.

But that's irrelevant considering we selected Fournette.

(09-17-2018, 08:47 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote: So this thread is already made like 4 spots below this one.

But no, we are not better without him, we call a more balanced game without him. Call the same exact game we did today but have Fournette in there? Dominant.

so in other words, we are better offensively without him?

Wild idea...maybe they just have different game plans against different teams?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(09-17-2018, 08:52 AM)Rico Wrote: Wild idea...maybe they just have different game plans against different teams?

No Way. You mean to tell me that a team's strategy (playcalling/formations) can change from week to week depending on who the opponent is the next game?

When did this "new-fangled" way of playing football come to being? Lol.

Seriously though, I completely agree. 
The Pats defense looks awful yet again. They were ridiculously bad in the Superbowl which cost them. They looked weak vs the Tinhorns last week. And, they got flat embarrassed by the Jags yesterday.

IMO, Pats defense is not as good as the Giants, which accounts for some of the gameplan adjustments this week.
Even so,, the Pats were loading 8 men in the box quite a lot to make the Jags beat them with passing. 

Bortles/Hackett/Marrone made them pay for that in a big way. Bortles looked fantastic,, and WRs seemed to be running wide open quite alot.

just call the same game with 4nette. can you imagine him taking one or two of those swing passes yeldon or grant got and got a head of steam behind him. Hackett needs to stop feeding him in the begining of games. we should be up by two scores then let 4nette eat up the time clock and the rest of the game.

My issue with Fournette is we get way too conservative when he plays. When he isn't there, we know we can't rely on the running game so we let Blake be Blake.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(This post was last modified: 09-17-2018, 10:16 AM by Caldrac.)

I think they dialed back a lot of the offensive plays they had planned for the Patriots when they opened up against the Giants. They can continue to be that aggressive with or without Fournette in the line-up. It's impressive that we manage to win without him but that's what good teams do. I actually prefer that they don't run that kid into the ground like they did MJD.

Just manage the game and attack with different formations. Spread the wealth. Bortles hit nine or ten different targets yesterday. And he ran when he needed to. Couldn't ask for a better performance. But Fournette shouldn't have to shoulder the load and carry this offense. The Falcons and Saints probably do it better than anybody else out there when it comes to sharing the wealth in the backfield.

I think that's the direction Hackett and Marrone are going in. Which makes sense. If it works. It works. Keep doing it until somebody stops it.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(09-17-2018, 08:47 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(09-17-2018, 08:43 AM)brianmsbc Wrote: like who?
Jamaal Adams or Mahomes.

We got Bortles, Church, Gipson, and Ronnie Harrison though.

holy cow imagine Mahomes with this squad. Wow!

(09-17-2018, 10:33 AM)brianmsbc Wrote:
(09-17-2018, 08:47 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Jamaal Adams or Mahomes.

We got Bortles, Church, Gipson, and Ronnie Harrison though.
At the time, no one knew what Bortles was going to be. Also, Adams is going to be a stud and Church is old. Adams and Harrison would be awesome.

(09-16-2018, 08:34 PM)ColoJag Wrote: Pretty much replace all of Yeldon's carries and Wilds carries and give them to Fournette but keep Grant the same. I don't think Yeldon is bad at all, actually think he played very well today, but LF27 adds a different dimension to our offense

Yeah... I would have been OK with them not giving Wilds any carries yesterday lol
He almost lost a fumble

But yeah, the idea to get Grant the ball in space (slot, swing pass type stuff) is something I think we're gonna be seeing more often.

Similar to how the passing game took strides with AR15, I think it's about the OC funneling his offense through one player.
We're not a better team without these players but we could be a better offense without focusing so much on them.
Spread the love.

(This post was last modified: 09-17-2018, 04:42 PM by Jags.)

(09-17-2018, 10:42 AM)rocdee Wrote: holy cow imagine Mahomes with this squad. Wow!

Idk, after yesterday I’m just imagining Blake with this squad.  I want more of it.
I’ve got a fever, and the only prescription is, more Blake.

Nope....just different and as long as we win....does it really matter?
Keeps the opponents off balance wondering which Jags are going to show up.
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

(09-17-2018, 08:47 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Jamaal Adams or Mahomes.

Or since Harrison is more SS imagine him with Earl Thomas 2.0 Malik Hooker. Drool worthy.

Or we could have gone OJ Howard. Or I hate to say it, but any number of other RB would've been better.

We aren't a better team without Fournette. We're just better coached, but I'm sure someone has already said that.

They just need more balance with him. He can do the things we ask from the others, so I don't know why they don't do it more often.

(09-17-2018, 08:58 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: We aren't a better team without Fournette. We're just better coached, but I'm sure someone has already said that.

They just need more balance with him. He can do the things we ask from the others, so I don't know why they don't do it more often.

They will. 

That AFCCG seems to have been well analyzed by this staff if yesterday is any indication. 

I do not believe that yesterday’s script from Hackett was shaped so much by missing Fournette, but rather shaped more by their approach to beating the pats defense.

We need Fournette in a game like the Eagles. You're not gonna have Bortles throw the ball around like he did against the Pats against the Eagles defense. Certain games we still need to use a big dose of Fournette. They just have to mix it up a little better and not be so predictable

Marrone is on record for saying that his idea of a perfect game is the quarterback never having to throw a pass. I'm sure that this ideal of his is taken into account with how Hackett calls the game when Fournette is in the game. How ironic is it that when Fournette is out, and we don't have the backfield that is able to pound the ball up the middle, we seem to have a more productive offense. So, the question I have is have we "dumbed down" the playbook too much, in an attempt to limit BB?