Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Marrone has surpassed Bradley's wins

In less than 1.5 seasons as the HC (20 reg season games, 3 playoff) Marrone has hit 15 wins as Jags HC. 13 Regular season, 2 playoff. 

Gus won 14 in 4 years........

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Dear God that's a heavy dose of perspective.

As much as I dislike Gus, looking back at those rosters, he had no chance for success year 1-3. DC gutted this team, and we needed a cheerleader to keep guys happy. I think year 4 was the year Kahn/DC afforded to Gus to see what he could do with talent, and he failed miserably.

That said, I couldn't be happier with TC/Marrone outside of a sb appearance being squandered last year. The culture has changed and this team is built to win for the next 3-5 years at least.

Gus wasn't much of a head coach but legend has it he threw one heck of an ice cream party. Sprinkles everywhere.

It's a toss up between Gus Bradley and Gene Smith for the darkest days of Jaguars history. I'm glad those days are over with.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(09-18-2018, 10:41 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: Gus wasn't much of a head coach but legend has it he threw one heck of an ice cream party.  Sprinkles everywhere.

It's a toss up between Gus Bradley and Gene Smith for the darkest days of Jaguars history.  I'm glad those days are over with.

Now that's funny! And Kahn doesn't seem like the kind've guy to ever hire bums like those two so I think we're good for a while.

Gus Bradley is a good man who isn't cut out to be a head coach. I won't speak ill of him beyond saying I prefer the current head coach.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Gus wasn't good, but Gene Smith really did a number on this team. I mean he has to be the worst GM of all time. It took Caldwell a long time to get the roster the way it is now. Gus was basically the fall guy.

The quality of the roster at the beginning of Gus's tenure obviously wasn't his fault, but his last year this team should have been hovering around .500 and the fact they weren't is completely on him. He was fired with a record of 2-12 that year. That was not a 2-12 roster.

I remember reading an interview piece about Gus before the tide turned on him and there was some mention by him of talking with his son about his day at school which for most parents and situations is a nice thought, but I remember leaving that article thinking: this guy gets home early enough to talk to his son about his school day? I grew up a Redskins fan prior to the Jags existence and I remember reading articles about Joe Gibbs sleeping in his office. The mention by Gus, though it was a minor anecdotal detail, immediately had me questioning things.

Another anecdotal thing with Gus is I remember one year during the preseason or maybe it was during training camp I ran into him on a week night in Costco. I said "hey coach!" as I walked by him and continued to walk by. I wasn't looking to tie him up. He said hey and stopped and turned toward me and was ready to get into a conversation with me. Nice gesture on his part, but I had already committed to just walking by and kept going. The thing that kind of bothered me after is what the hell is he doing having free time during Costco business hours as an NFL head coach? Can you imagine Belichick being spotted walking around Costco during training camp, if ever?

I get that he's a human being like anyone else and deserves a personal life, but I base my opinion on this on the comments by the great Joe Gibbs who discussed his own level of commitment to his career and clearly there was a wide gap between his philosophy and Gus's. I think Gus probably clocked out at 5 and was probably caught in rush hour traffic heading home on most days. That's fine for most regular folks, but not really accpetable for NFL head coaches who make millions per year. Nice guy, but clearly not an NFL head coach.

Gus may have not been a good head coach, but at least he wasn’t a douche nozzle. Gene Smith treated everyone like they were stupid, thinking he knew something others didn’t.

(09-18-2018, 10:41 PM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote: As much as I dislike Gus, looking back at those rosters, he had no chance for success year 1-3. DC gutted this team, and we needed a cheerleader to keep guys happy. I think year 4 was the year Kahn/DC afforded to Gus to see what he could do with talent, and he failed miserably.

That said, I couldn't be happier with TC/Marrone outside of a sb appearance being squandered last year. The culture has changed and this team is built to win for the next 3-5 years at least.

He definitely should have won more games in year 3. The clots and tinhorns were both starting backup QBs, and the Jags played several other backup QBs, as well as rookies. The team never took advantage of that. Babich's game day tactics in particular cost the Jags some games. And Gus' DB coach (Walker?) was terrible. No one developed and some players regressed under him.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(09-18-2018, 10:55 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: Gus  wasn't good, but Gene Smith really did a number on this team. I mean he has to be the worst GM of all time. It took Caldwell a long time to get the roster the way it is now. Gus was basically the fall guy.

Didn't Ramsey say that Gus fostered a losing culture, and Marrone broke that when he took over?

(This post was last modified: 09-18-2018, 11:48 PM by The_Franchise_QB.)

(09-18-2018, 11:27 PM)jrvegeeta Wrote: Gus may have not been a good head coach, but at least he wasn’t a douche nozzle. Gene Smith treated everyone like they were stupid, thinking he knew something others didn’t.

Yep, Gene Smith even brainwashed the great Vic Ketchman. He made him turn into a guy who anyone who questions gene smith is wrong. Jars on the shelves, all that nonsense. It's to no surprise that to this day since Gene had been relieved of duties as GM he has never had a football position ANYWHERE! Lol. Those days were so sad.

I'm glad, but this isn't much of an accomplishment. Gus set the bar about as low as it could possibly get. Gus wasn't much better than Hue Jackson, for God's sake!

It's amazing that the best year for Gus was year 1, when we had a 3-4 game winning streak in the middle of the season, after losing our first 6 games (Can't remember the exact number).

Marrone could possibly beat his total in one year. Also, how many playoff wins did Gus have

(09-18-2018, 11:52 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I'm glad, but this isn't much of an accomplishment. Gus set the bar about as low as it could possibly get. Gus wasn't much better than Hue Jackson, for God's sake!

A .650 win percentage as a HC isn't much of an accomplishment? Shula was a .677, Belichick is a career .678

(09-18-2018, 11:11 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: The quality of the roster at the beginning of Gus's tenure obviously wasn't his fault, but his last year this team should have been hovering around .500 and the fact they weren't is completely on him.  He was fired with a record of 2-12 that year.  That was not a 2-12 roster.

This is how I felt the whole time, and is why I was in no rush to fire Gus after a year or two.

By his last year, it was clear he had the raw talent on the team to be competitive, but whatever grip he had on the team was completely gone by the Raiders game.  I still look back at that game as the beginning of the end of Bradley.  In all of my years of posting about the Jaguars, I had never made a post like the one I made after that game.   It was just that bad under him.

But I'm thrilled beyond measure at the team we have now, with Marrone and the coaching staff he and TC have assembled, with the talent that Caldwell brought here.  If we can stay healthy (with the unfortunate exception of Cam Robinson, who was last for the year), I think we can make our first Super Bowl appearance this year.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 09-19-2018, 06:15 AM by SeldomRite.)

All the garbage about roster quality misses the point, the teams he coached consistently underperformed their talent level. Throw 2013 and 2014 out if you like, but by 2015 there was enough talent that a .500 season was a realistic expectation. (being an average NFL team) When they finished 5-11 he should have been canned, but I guess it all worked out in the end since he lined up one last massive draft haul for us. still he should have been gone after 2015.

Gus is one of those guys who is a solid coordinator but should not be a head coach.
Jaguars | Pacers | Purdue | Team USA

(09-19-2018, 05:43 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(09-18-2018, 11:52 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I'm glad, but this isn't much of an accomplishment. Gus set the bar about as low as it could possibly get. Gus wasn't much better than Hue Jackson, for God's sake!

A .650 win percentage as a HC isn't much of an accomplishment? Shula was a .677, Belichick is a career .678

That's like saying Pat Mahomes is one of the greatest QB's of all time. The sample size is just too small. Give it time. I am confident Marrone will be here a long time and this team will just keep on winning. Let him get to 100 games coached in the NFL, before we start forming a final grade for him. He'll get there and I think before it's over, he'll be considered among some of the best.